8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

++1

8 years ago

+1

8 years ago

Intel and nvidia = power. And it won't start a campfire with your power supply.

8 years ago

Intel + nVidia also = $$$
There was a reason console manufacturers choose AMD instead of losing even more money on hardware, after all. :)
The power consumption on the AMD GPUs is a killer though, that is for sure.

8 years ago

Every comparison I can find between the 2 indicates that they offer comparable performance, but the nVidia GTX 960 runs cooler, with lower power consumption and less fan noise.
Power consumption may be something to keep in mind for if you have a 550W PSU.

8 years ago

I own a 960 and its pretty nice, im very happy with it... and you should think about the witcher 3 promotion :P

8 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't get that where I live

8 years ago

it's over, you get batman now and just from specific sellers:
http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/batman-arkham-knight/bundle

8 years ago

awww, i thought that was still on...

8 years ago

With a 960? I thought that promo was only for GTX 970 and 980. Kudos if you managed to get both games just for a 960!!!

8 years ago

it was a nice deal honestly, with the 960 you'd get just 1 of the 2 games but with a 970/980 you'd get both. The witcher was a gog key, I don't know if batman will have a steam key, but it's very likely, if not sure.

8 years ago

Try GOG Galaxy! It's pretty nice although it's in beta. And yeah, it's 99.9% that Batman would be a Steam key. Still what a nice promo for the 960, many congratulations on your purchase!

8 years ago

Yup, I already have gog galaxy installed, i use it little though :3

I didn't buy a nvidia gpu yet, i just did a lot of research, maybe I'll switch to nvidia soon :c

8 years ago

380 is slightly faster. 960 has lower power consumption. For me performance is more important so I recommend 380.

8 years ago

what whos voting for thr 960?!?! the 380 is faster, cooler, has 4GB of RAM, and its DirectX12.1 compatible, not to mention that nvidia drivers will forget about you as soon as the next card comes out.

8 years ago

^This, for the driver part: I hope not even if there was evidence with the kepler driver for witcher 3 ;__;

8 years ago

+1

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

8 years ago

what whos voting for thr 380?!?! the 960 is faster, cooler, has 4GB of RAM, and its DirectX12.1 compatible, not to mention that Radeon shit fanboyz drivers will forget about you as soon as the next card comes out.

8 years ago

lol, k™

8 years ago

8 years ago

wow, you're so trendy and mainstream, you can spout cringe memes and fanboy a terrible company who couldn't care less about you on topics that you're actually completely and utterly ignorant to xdddd

8 years ago

LOVELY LOVELY AMD FANBOYYZZ :* no argument, only love and sexual train to best cutlets in the world!

8 years ago

KEK NO ARGUMENT, WHERE EXACTLY WAS YOUR ARGUMENT, MONGOLOID TRASH

i can google benchmarks too, or was there more to your "arguments?"

also, because you obviously have trouble in that tiny brain of yours I was referring to your little cringe "AMD runss soooper hott XD" meme image you put out, great thing you provided hard evidence to go with that. oh well, you can always go back to your google searches though lmao

8 years ago

ohhh lovely lovely cotlet fanboyzz, so much butthurt, hihi, this is so funny to provoke such subhumans :D

8 years ago

"LOVELY LOVELY NVIDIA FANBOYYZZ :* no argument, only love and sexual train to best cutlets in the world!"

"subhumans" lol wow, i've never seen anyone as bad on all my time on this site. keep spouting awful memes as you giggle to yourself in your dark room alone with your cheeto dust infested keyboard and cry some more. end it all lmao

learn how to type while you're at it if you'd really like to argue in the language. it hurts my jaw reading what you say lol, i can't cringe enough. you remind me of those stereotypical Brazilians online, 10 years in the country still no speaky English hihi

8 years ago

ITS ALIVE, MY MONSTER IS ALIVE. And now youg padawan - let's go and eat od nvidia users! EAT'EM ALL!

8 years ago

daily dose of mental anguish

8 years ago

grow up idi0t kiddo

8 years ago

+1

8 years ago

in the end, you should really go for what is cheaper, if the 960 is like 50$ cheaper, then go for that one, if it is the same price i would go for the 380.

8 years ago

From what I'm seeing, the 380 at the same price as the 960 also has 2GB of VRAM.

8 years ago

Lol, my card is 5 years old and I never had any problems with drivers. NVidia allways has drivers before the game is released, can´t say that about AMD.
And btw the 380 is just a rebrand, it´s a 280 that cost more and she only supports 12.0 and not 12.1.

8 years ago

AMD drivers do come a bit late but they always bring a performance boost, at least it has been the case for every beta driver i tried on my "oldy" 7870.

8 years ago

Nope, the 380 is NOT dx12.1 compatible. Only the Fury (x). On the other side, every 900 series GPU supports dx12.2

8 years ago

yeap looks like i was wrong and the 960 might be the better option there, try to grab one with 4GB:

8 years ago

380 or 280x. Which both are slightly better than the 960.

look which one is cheaper :)

8 years ago

ahahah omg

8 years ago

its depended on the tested game. In such games as FC4, Mordor, GTA5 there is visible fps boost with 4gb ram card. Now, 280x and 960 this is exacly the same power level, but 280x is only GCN1.0 and no full dx12 support. You can give a fuck-lot of amd portals benchmarks where are completly different testing places. The same test you linked:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_960_g1_gaming_4gb_review,19.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_960_gaming_oc_review,17.html
Nice try.

As you se its only dependent on game. GTX is cheaper, has a fucking better drivers, is more economical and this is not a cutlet on GCN 1.0.

8 years ago*

285 and 380 are gcn 1.2 with full directx support, the other just direct 12

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1905-gta-v-pc-fps-benchmark-graphics-cards

Still amd 285 faster in gta v over a 960, your point?

8 years ago

Ehehehe :D Look at other test of 285 :D :D :D :D You know what is it? This is strategy of AMD fanboyz called "argument matching the thesis" - you just paste these tests that confirm the thesis, although all the other show that's a lie.
http://pclab.pl/art64398-23.html
http://pclab.pl/art64398-22.html
285 is worse card as is well known by all rational people. It loose in almost all games, and paste other links from for example bigger portals :)

8 years ago

Gta v is optimized for nvidia cards, it's obvious it runs better on them. From the site you posted:

http://pclab.pl/art64398-24.html
http://pclab.pl/art64398-27.html
http://pclab.pl/art64398-29.html

Are you serious or just trolling? Well, have fun, i'm not wasting my time with you.

8 years ago

Honestly? The main thing that is important that most people neglect is how these cards are to live with. Generally Nvidia have a much lower TDP than the AMD ones, a value that is often neglected. It's not a minor difference either, you're talking about a 100W difference which is huge (between 280x and GTX 960 when they are under full loads). You can typically push a Nvidia card a lot harder than an AMD one, often overclocking them without anything significant drawbacks or risk of damage (if you know what you are doing).

Then you take into account your electricity bills each month (no joke, a 450W PSU can save you a lot of money each month) and the noise which is often dreadful since your fans are constantly having to keep them cool.

TL;DR

AMD Cards usually run hot, are horribly inefficient, but offer some good bang for your buck.
Nvidia Cards usually run rather cool, are efficient, but Nvidia tend to try to take advantage of their position a bit too often.

AMD Cpu's though are another story and are pretty good. They are rather underrated and don't get a lot of the recognition they deserve, though that may be down to people only judging their setups based on their graphics cards, and not their CPU or RAM (which does a lot more work than people realise).

EDIT: One thing I was unable to find interestingly was the TDP output for the 380. Anyone able to find it? Also changed some typos.

View attached image.
8 years ago*

the power consumption is neglectable, this topic was already taken in consideration on another forum, with a normal use, a few hours of gaming everyday, the difference in price would be less that 4 dollars a month.

Anyway here are power consumption sheets:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/69648-understanding-amds-r9-300-series-lineup.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-9.html

I'm getting quite tired of the constant mindless amd hate.

8 years ago

Still doesn't show TDP. It's kind of annoying to find the values since nobody ever takes it into consideration. It was hard enough finding the 280x and GTX 960 values.

8 years ago

The 280x is the best out of the three. The 380 is worse and the 960 is a very bad idea (2GB + small memory bus = crap performance for the price).

8 years ago

There are 960 with 4GB :)

8 years ago

The small memory bus makes that a moot point.

8 years ago

Indeed, small memory bus makes you unable to fully utilise the 4GB anyway.

8 years ago

Gtx 960 is eunuch. 380 or collect money for 970.

8 years ago

+1 get the 970, most bang for your buck

8 years ago

eunuch better than better "on-paper" card? Oooooh :D

8 years ago

Of course go for the 380! The 300 series is fucking amazing. I feel like replacing my 2 270Xs with 390s after seeing their reveal.

8 years ago

Nvidia better for gaming, Radeon better for rendering and other 3D-work.

8 years ago

What? I disagree. It depends on a lot of things. There are some rendering engines which only support CUDA or viceversa. Take Blender Cycles as an example.

8 years ago

960 its kinda mid range at high price if you pay in €. Not recomended right now.

8 years ago

R9 380 :D

U know, before i never watched what AMD guys doing (both processors and videocards) because i knew they production wasn't as good as Intel/NVidia, but some time ago i got interested how is it going now and maybe something changed. Now i see they're creating really great things, they risen in my eyes. Never thought before i would recommend AMD

8 years ago

I'm using a 960 right now and I'm quite happy with it. (Of course the last computer I was using had Intel HD Graphics so... Yeah, anything was an improvement. :P)

Edit: Comparing the MSI models of the 380 and 960 (both at the same price), the only noticeable difference that I saw was that the clock speed on the 960 was about 200 Mhz faster. Other than that, they appear to be nearly identical.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127844&cm_re=msi_gtx_960-_-14-127-844-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127880&cm_re=radeon_r9_380-_-14-127-880-_-Product

8 years ago*

My experience with AMD graphics cards are summed up in 3 words: Not worth it.

Why? Many games run terribly with AMD cards, especially some of the older games like [Prototype], where it has shadow problems. Worse, PhysX is getting more popular, making games not only visually stunning, but close to making the environments look realistic.

Oh, and AMD has terrible drivers.

If you ask me, get an Nvidia card. For compatibility, visuals and shadowplay. Sure, performance is slower, but it's only slightly depending which card you're getting.

8 years ago

I thought the main reason you didn't want an AMD "performance" card is that you didn't want to use up the entire power supply of a small town to use it?

8 years ago

Neither. 380 is overkill and the 960 is significantly worse in every aspect/price ratios compared to a GTX 970. If you must buy an nVidia nowadays, don't get anything but a 970.

8 years ago

I ownx EVGA GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ (SLI) and I love it! Plays any modern games that support SLI on Ultra with 60fps.

8 years ago*

GTX 960. I plan on getting it myself in a week.

8 years ago

I just recently got a GTX 960, I can't say I've ever had a better card.

8 years ago

If you can wait, I would suggest going with the R9 Fury NANO, R9 390x, GTX 980, or GTX 980 Ti. Also disregard this if that is above the price point of what you are looking at for just the graphics.

8 years ago

If you can wait and save up some more, I highly recommend paying the extra for the GTX 970 - have one myself and it's simply a beast, and a cool-running, not-so-power-hungry beast at that.

Your wallet might temporarily regret it, but it's definitely more worth it over the 960/380 in the long run.

Edit: Regarding the R9 380, you might be interested in this awesome article by Tom's Hardware (it compares it to cards like the 960, 970, R9 285 etc.): http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-radeon-r9-390x-r9-380-r7-370,review-33233.html

8 years ago*

It's funny how in their charts the R9 380 squeezes a few more fps, maybe because they are comparing to a GTX 960 1Gb (not sure, it only says G1 which might be the generation).

However in this other article they put R9 380 < GTX 960 < R9 380X.

I would also recommend to save more money for a GTX 970, but if not the -EDIT: New R9 380-.

8 years ago*

Yeah, it's (one of) Gigabyte's take on the card, with a slightly confusing name. It does have 2GB of 128-bit memory though (there's also a 4GB version, but only 128-bit again).

8 years ago

G1 is just a gaming brand from Gigabyte, it doesn't reflect the actual amount of GB the GPU has. More about the G1 brand

As for the article you linked, I think that's because those are not the 300 series, but the older 200 series. At least from a quick glance ...

While for OP, I would suggest to see the benchmarks of games he is planning to play and decide depending on those. Some games will work better on one, while others on the other after all ...

8 years ago

Yeah, confusing branding alright... it's incredible how tech evolves nowadays, the 380 has a year and the 960 half a year and yet they have new series.

Here is a video benchmark, again it seems AMD squeezes a little more performance.

8 years ago

I have a 960 and its great.

8 years ago

I use GTX 960 and I have no complaints

8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago by DirtyAtom.