So. Steam awards 2020 are open for nominations. Given I game on a 10+ yrs old system and that I'm constatnly broke I don't really pay much attention to new releases. I do however care about the steam awards badge so I fill out the forms anyway. But since I have no idea what games even came out this year, nor have I played any of them and steam doesn't provide convinient list of everything released in 2020 (well if such a list exists it's not conviniently placed on awards nomination page) I tend to pick at random or try to get inspired by other people picks.
With that in mind I went here, to look for a discussion about nominations, but I haven't found one. So I'm making it myself!
Share links to YOUR NOMINATIONS
Here's mine

• Yakuza: Like a Dragon for GOTY - idk why. the whole franchise is good I guess?
  • Half-Life: Alyx for VR - 'cause it's VR and it's Half-Life, I guess. No way to judge it since I don't even have VR
  • Terraria for Labour of Love - I was gonna put Path of Exile here first, but saw it on some peoples' lists and figured that's a really good choice. Especially with The Journey's End update released this year. It truly shows how people love the stuff they made when they keep updating it 9 years after release and don't even ask another penny for it.
  • Borderlands 3 for Better with Friends - I've beaten Borderlands 1 & 2 in co-op and I'm during co-op playthrough of pre-sequel. I've tried Borderlands solo once and it sucked. Since then it's a co-op only franchise for me. And once I get Borderlands 3 (once it comes down to an acceptable price) I'll be playing through it in co-op. Hence better with friends.
  • Them's Fightin' Herds for Visual Style - surprisingly one game with a release date of 2020 that I own and have played! There are a lot of candidates for this award and I absolutely love the art style of TFH, so it's not a random pick. The fact that I actually have played it makes me choose this one over other beautiful games from 2020
  • Noita for Innovative Gameplay - Again, many strong contenders for this one, but I think that simulating physics of every pixel is quite a feat! And that's definetly a game I'd love to try so bonus points for that
  • Risk of Rain 2 for the Game You Suck at - I really enjoyed first RoR. When I heard they're making a secon one and that it was in 3D I was super hyped! Then it was on a free weekend so I immediately downloaded it. Boy did I suck at it! Everything I knew from the previous game was basically useless in this new three-dimensional setting! I still feel a love/hate towards this game :D
  • DOOM Eternal for the Best Soundtrack - that's bit random, but I saw quite a lot of people putting it there, so I went and listened to some of it on youtube and it does indeed sound good
  • Hades for Outstanding Story - just like above I saw a lot of nominations for that one (in various categories) and it looks pretty cool so I figured I want to put it somewhere. This was like the only category I had lying around so it went here. And it is tagged "Story Rich" on steam so I guess there is some story to it ¯_(ツ)_/¯
  • Summer in Mara for Sit Back and Relax - that's all random. I had no idea what to put here. Saw someone nomite this thing. Looks kinda relaxing. Fair enough
3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you even care about steam awards anymore

View Results
Yes! I pay a lot of attention to my picks so the most deserving games may win!
No, I just do it for the badge
No, I don't even participate anymore
potato

well shit, forgot it had to be games from this year, i dont own any. we doing the same thing as last year and nominating trash dlc in every category?
NOMINATIONED
GAME OF THE YEAR Half Life Alyx
LABOR OF LOVE Goat Simulator
the rest is just random sht

View attached image.
View attached image.
3 years ago*

this and the sale.
though seems to be working fine for me ¯_(ツ)_/¯

3 years ago

On Steam 250 you can find a list of this year's games sorted by score to help you decide.

3 years ago

well, that's handy!

3 years ago

Labor of Love does not have to be from this year. I nominated Dungeons & Dragons Online, again. :)

3 years ago

put goat sim in every year

3 years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198048659492?k=16078361516274470397

Steam somehow not let me vote VR one for Alyx, so random game there.
Entries probably not accurate, selected from those i played during this year. I mean, these are decent, but not total mainstream so they dont have chance for awards.

+badge vote

Edit: voted now for Alyx on its store page. I guess if you have filtering keyword then those not showing up and i filter VR games out on my steam store setting:-D

3 years ago*

Steam somehow not let me vote VR one for Alyx, so random game there

lol, it's their own game! and seems like a good choice for VR award. I completly forgot about that one!

3 years ago

Some friends managed to vote on that, i cant, i have no clue why.

3 years ago

Hm, strange, I managed to vote for Alyx just fine (and I do not even have the game). Weird.

One possibility: did you try to vote for Alyx in 2 categories? There is this weird "rule" where, if you vote for the same game in multiple categories, only the last one sticks.

(So the Game of the Year cannot be the VR Game of the Year, for example. Go figure.)

3 years ago

Me too

3 years ago

my votes are there, nope, Alyx not there on any category.
https://prnt.sc/vq2p9r
tried half-life, half, life keywords too

3 years ago

Ok, I am with you in the "what-the-heck,Valve?!?" club. :D

Edit: wait, wait -- but when I visit your nominations, I do see Alyx in the VR category! Did something just change? The plot thickens!

Maybe.... you are from the future and it is not 2020 for you? In this case, I am totally jelly. :D :D

3 years ago*

Managed to vote it on its store page. I guess at nominate searches games not shown up which conflicted with the keyword filters you set up for steam store.

3 years ago

+1
This. You have to manually find it and vote for it from the store page.

3 years ago

Should remove it from old category.

3 years ago

It didn't work too for the first game I picked for VR (SW Squadrons) but it worked when I tried a different game (HL Alyx)

3 years ago

Free badge... Nothing more nothing less... I don't actually even end up playing games in year they are released...

3 years ago

^^^^ making it so it had to be games from this year 100% killed the event. 0 shits about it

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

3 years ago

Here is mine, so far. Looking for a better "Better with Friends" pick, mostly. In reality, I only ever played 3 of those...
https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561197989280149?k=15530912935523628397

Edit: Hmmm... Is Frog Fractions better with friends, maybe? Like, making your friends play it? :D

3 years ago

Hmmm... Is Frog Fractions better with friends, maybe?

Oh God, that's GOTY! but how is that "released in 2020"

View attached image.
3 years ago

Well, this particular Steam version was released August 2, 2020. And you might think this is the same as the old flash game, but, NOOOOOOO SIIIIIIIIIR. After all, this one has the Hop's Iconic Cap DLC.

3 years ago

a hat for $7.49, feels like a certain horse armour all over again...

3 years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198117334831?k=13053546397362608637

I don't play VR so this vote is more troll because steam things there should be an award for a niche.

3 years ago

yeah, The Journey, another hit title released in 2020...
that's part of the reason why I think those release year restrictions are dumb...

3 years ago

Yeah they just want to sell their VR gear

3 years ago

Was looking for ideas. Journey is a great choice except.... that's a very old game? Why did it come to Stream so late?

3 years ago

because of sony I guess

3 years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198824313765?k=14672852127360020198

Have big backlog so play older games usually. Have played 4 of those.

3 years ago

Here's my nominations. Some of the are random, because I didn't play that much games this year.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198312749631?k=1436078369074545470

3 years ago

Most of them are because of watching playthrus/gameplay on twitch or youtube, as I do not own them but still these days you can get good feeling of the game by watching so I still like my nominations.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198055193812?k=7128190202124572712

3 years ago*

If you have problem with: ,, Play a game you've nominated ,,
,, Helltaker ,, is from 2020 and free
or ,, War Thunder ,,

3 years ago*

Another reason I vote DDO for Labor of Love. Then use ASF to get a play w/o installing in Steam.

3 years ago

This is so weird, like i can only vote HL:A as GOTY or Best VR Game ? Like come on...
https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198197903170?k=13435408627603258853

3 years ago*

I would have preferred to nominate Hades and CK3 for more awards. So I had to pick some less deserving candidates.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198003232053?k=13408664841207493628

3 years ago

+1 this for Hades, definitely GOTY for me, flawless!

3 years ago

well, i cant remember games from early in the year
and there is a ton of rouge-lite games
and this list is mostly games i want to play because i loved it on a stream
https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198078006018?k=6307558212090049012

3 years ago

My nominations. I usually play games long after their release date, so it's made of game I actually played, have or would love to have (and think they deserve the nomination). :)

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198036297204?k=6267746150902650171

3 years ago

the system is rigged!!!!!
i keep trying to nominate those shitty anime asset flip bs games and it wont let me, it just leaves the field blank. but when i pick a popular title it takes it.

3 years ago

in some categories the title needs to be 2020 released

3 years ago*

all but 1 LABOR OF LOVE. was the same bs last year

3 years ago

assuming steam see's release dates the same as the date on the store page some of those shit games i picked should of worked.
i also notice EA games could be selected even though there not actually released.
not that i care, its all just a form of advertising disguised as an award ceremony.

3 years ago

If they're blocked in your filters (or manually hidden) you have to go their store page and vote from there.

3 years ago

that probably was it.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

3 years ago

3 years ago

honestly that was the most interesting list so far!
are those random or legit pics?

3 years ago

I just nominate anything random to get the badge, why to lazy to look what games are interesting
I don't own many new games, as I rather wait a bit until they are cheap

3 years ago

There have been a few 2020 games in the HB monthly this year so I've played a few but I'm like you.
The AAA games are too rich for me (even if my current old potato could play them) and the smaller indies sometimes take a while for me to discover.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.