So. Steam awards 2020 are open for nominations. Given I game on a 10+ yrs old system and that I'm constatnly broke I don't really pay much attention to new releases. I do however care about the steam awards badge so I fill out the forms anyway. But since I have no idea what games even came out this year, nor have I played any of them and steam doesn't provide convinient list of everything released in 2020 (well if such a list exists it's not conviniently placed on awards nomination page) I tend to pick at random or try to get inspired by other people picks.
With that in mind I went here, to look for a discussion about nominations, but I haven't found one. So I'm making it myself!
Share links to YOUR NOMINATIONS
Here's mine

• Yakuza: Like a Dragon for GOTY - idk why. the whole franchise is good I guess?
  • Half-Life: Alyx for VR - 'cause it's VR and it's Half-Life, I guess. No way to judge it since I don't even have VR
  • Terraria for Labour of Love - I was gonna put Path of Exile here first, but saw it on some peoples' lists and figured that's a really good choice. Especially with The Journey's End update released this year. It truly shows how people love the stuff they made when they keep updating it 9 years after release and don't even ask another penny for it.
  • Borderlands 3 for Better with Friends - I've beaten Borderlands 1 & 2 in co-op and I'm during co-op playthrough of pre-sequel. I've tried Borderlands solo once and it sucked. Since then it's a co-op only franchise for me. And once I get Borderlands 3 (once it comes down to an acceptable price) I'll be playing through it in co-op. Hence better with friends.
  • Them's Fightin' Herds for Visual Style - surprisingly one game with a release date of 2020 that I own and have played! There are a lot of candidates for this award and I absolutely love the art style of TFH, so it's not a random pick. The fact that I actually have played it makes me choose this one over other beautiful games from 2020
  • Noita for Innovative Gameplay - Again, many strong contenders for this one, but I think that simulating physics of every pixel is quite a feat! And that's definetly a game I'd love to try so bonus points for that
  • Risk of Rain 2 for the Game You Suck at - I really enjoyed first RoR. When I heard they're making a secon one and that it was in 3D I was super hyped! Then it was on a free weekend so I immediately downloaded it. Boy did I suck at it! Everything I knew from the previous game was basically useless in this new three-dimensional setting! I still feel a love/hate towards this game :D
  • DOOM Eternal for the Best Soundtrack - that's bit random, but I saw quite a lot of people putting it there, so I went and listened to some of it on youtube and it does indeed sound good
  • Hades for Outstanding Story - just like above I saw a lot of nominations for that one (in various categories) and it looks pretty cool so I figured I want to put it somewhere. This was like the only category I had lying around so it went here. And it is tagged "Story Rich" on steam so I guess there is some story to it ¯_(ツ)_/¯
  • Summer in Mara for Sit Back and Relax - that's all random. I had no idea what to put here. Saw someone nomite this thing. Looks kinda relaxing. Fair enough
3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you even care about steam awards anymore

View Results
Yes! I pay a lot of attention to my picks so the most deserving games may win!
No, I just do it for the badge
No, I don't even participate anymore
potato

I'm like half-half ish. I try to nominate games I find matching to the respective categories, but I am also doing this for the badge, so for categories I don't really have examples for I'm mostly drawing from other people's recommendations and opinions. Such as VR. I can't really say if a game's VR is good or bad so my nomination isn't exactly a recommendation, but I don't wanna skip that either because badge. :/ I do try to at least give every category some thought though.

3 years ago

3 years ago

I tried to nominate Sex with Stalin for the most of the categories but it only allows one category

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

3 years ago

I guess I'll share mine as well. Tried to be serious but only one I had no good ideas was Soundtrack. Although I'm sure Hades would would have been great for that too.
https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198046497326?k=17358576781280159517

3 years ago

100% True. Hades would fit into GOTY and Best Soundtrack

3 years ago

there seems to be a lot of hype around that hades thing. I took it for run of the mill hack and slash but now I'm getting intrigued

3 years ago

I definitely thought it was a bit button-mashy in the beginning. That's because early on, a lot of optimal play is just "spam this one move." Eventually though, as you unlock new abilities and weapons, the game heavily rewards smart synergies and utilizing your entire moveset - it was only then that I started enjoying the game.

It's also really unconventional for the rogue genre to actually have an interesting story. In most rogues, dying is lame because you lose all the cool upgrades you earned throughout the run. In Hades, dying is a part of the narrative, so the frustration is severely mitigated.

Is it overhyped? Eh, maybe a little. But it is still a great game.

3 years ago

3 years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561197996601058?k=6568587034356094555

Best soundtrack is the only one I knew instantly what to put. All thanks to Vitality by Mttsies.

3 years ago

Here's mine. It was rather tricky due to one game per award and 2020 release date limitations, but I'm happy with my choices. Everything fits and has its well-deserved nomination, if I may say so myself.

3 years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198031614337?k=6712509130532344865 Idk why I can't edit the innovative gameplay choice but it should be Due Process))

3 years ago

Here's mine Hades should also be included in best soundtrack, but its okay

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

3 years ago

I also nominated mostly indies, knowing they'll never win because everyone is going to vote for the big AAA games, mostly because most people haven't played any of the 2020 games so they'll nominate the ones they heard about the most.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

3 years ago

So what do you consider as best game year 2020 brought us? I see it as Control as so far, that game interest me more than Cyberpunk, but my GPU is melting from it :/

3 years ago

i have no idea when games were released and don't care, so i choose a couple letters and pick the 4th result.

3 years ago

I'm usually bad at these award nominations, since I rarely ever play newly released games (I wait for them to get a good discount before buying them). :c

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198082091554?k=15891598493912255839

3 years ago

I think a good percentage of people in general do that, patient gamers. I also selected Hades as my GOTY, the voice acting and writing alone were enough for me.

3 years ago

My nominees Steam Awards 2020:
GAME OF THE YEAR: Ever Forward
VR GAME: Half-Life: Alyx
LABOR OF LOVE: Meadow
BETTER WITH FRIENDS: Squad
OUTSTANDING VISUAL STYLE: The Last Show of Mr. Chardish
MOST INNOVATIVE GAMEPLAY: Carto
BEST GAME YOU SUCK AT: Shadow Arena
BEST SOUNDTRACK: The Uncertain: Light At The End
OUTSTANDING STORY-RICH GAME: What Comes After
SIT BACK AND RELAX: Journey
Link: https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/nominations/76561198166151022?k=922849496162303498

3 years ago

3 years ago

Time to pick random stuff for badge. Wonder if I can pick Cyberpunk for all...

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.