Just Cause (2006)

According to IsThereAnyDeal, the historic low is 0.79, but GreenManGaming has it at 0.78 with the voucher from IsThereAnyDeal ("July17"). At least, 0.79 is the price I see currently (GMG does 'XP discounting' by some system I don't understand).

Can anyone comment on how good this game is? Does it hold up?

I won JC4 in a GA here 10 months ago, but I haven't tried it yet. I have yet to play any JC games.

9 months ago

Comment has been collapsed.

it's shit. story, missions, controls, world (all jungle), everything. jc2 is considered the best, 4 is another shit one from what I've read.

9 months ago

So JC2 is the only one that's worthwhile? Or, not even that one?

9 months ago

2 is good but it's a bit dated. 3 is also a lot of fun. 4 was a bit disappointing because it took some of the fun out.

9 months ago

similarly to torchlight, the demo of jc2 (and tl2) had more variety than the entire first game. you should try it, see how it is. lots of qte and infinitely respawning enemies and shitty save system, so it's very far from perfect. jc1 is also has a demo with stuff not in the full game, which is not that common, but it's just more jungle. still, you should try it first as well.

9 months ago

JC2 is a good game, give it a try.

9 months ago

Can anyone comment on how good this game is? Does it hold up?

I played it a few years ago, and it does not hold up well at all. It's excellent as a game from a different time, I enjoyed driving around and it's "rustic" look, but it's not pleasant as a game. Lacks both QoL things, and it's punishing.

from my review:

You barely can hold weapons but there is no clear system to check what do you hold. You unlock safehouses and weapons but each weapon only available in the corresponding site.
You can ONLY heal at safehouses, ever. Enemies have a chance of dropping health but they most often do that when you're at full hp. If a car boops you, you lose 30-80% of your health. Later missions auto-raise heat to level 3-5/5, cars ramming into you in a way that puts GTA to shame, meanwhile they also shoot at you with their auto-turrets. Then there are the choppers that you barely can see through the almost impenetrable foliage. The grappling hook doesn't work on them in 90% of the time as well. But they have machineguns for you, and rockets for your car.
There is no cover system, there is no crouching behind barricades, there is no armor. I know this is the first game of the series, but the pleasant and cool first "half" of the game is being destroyed by the overwhelming number of enemies and lack of defense later.
Vehicles have auto-target on (no way to turn off) but no way to properly change targets. Don't get me wrong, auto-target is NEEDED because you can't see soldiers, or even choppers in front of the trees or cliffs (and because of the fairly low resolution) but I lost missions literally dozens of times. Why? Because the auto-target decided that it will aim at the solider behind the building instead of the fuel tank I have to destroy. Or it locks on the fleeing scientist's supertanky chopper instead of letting me destroy its convoy of 4, so I got blown to kingdom come.
I genuinely love it how the lack of the traversing aspect of grappling hook from JC2 made me drive around and enjoy the scenery, but the last few missions are horrible. I got incredible stuttering during massive car chases as well multiple times, so I'm super happy that I can leave this game behind me.

9 months ago

If you haven't played any of the others, you should give it a shot. Just expect a slightly above average game from 2006 (ridiculous amounts of bloom and all), and I bet you could have a good time. Having said that, I've never played the PC version, and I guess it's supposed to be pretty buggy.

If it sucks, then hey you're only out 79 cents. If you find some fun in it, then cool, you played a fun game for only 79 cents.

9 months ago

I played it a decade ago, after playing JC2. It felt very bad even back then. It looks horrible, controls and gameplay where horrible. JC2 is miles ahead.

9 months ago

In my region it's $0.65 on Steam so I'll wait for the next sale on JC.

9 months ago

It was quite fun when it came out, but it's very dated by today's standards and even back then, it got repetitive very quickly, JC 2 is the one to start with. You can also try the similarly themed, but vastly superior and more serious games "Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction" and "Mercenaries 2 : World in Flames", very underrated games, such a shame the developers (Pandemic Studios) went down.

9 months ago

i played Just cause 2 and 3 and they are fun games
you can start with 2 and mess around a bit, i never did a 100% completion on it because of a lacking mechanic that is present in 3
just cause 3 is looking so much better and you can have a lot more fun messing with the environment, movement got some new degrees of freedom from 2

i have 1 and 4 but never touched them, 4 looks like a mess and i don't have the requirements for it

9 months ago

The same sale is at HB right now also.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/just-cause

9 months ago

Thanks but, in my region, HB's price is higher.

9 months ago

JC1 is like hitman codename 47, both sucks, hitman 2 got better and so just cause 2 is the best one of the saga.

9 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.