Hi SG,

It's time for some holiday cheer! Our gift box event is back once again for 2021. New for this year is the "Like Design" button as explained further below.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
    • Please ensure your gift box design is appropriate for all ages and respectful of others in the community. Inappropriate designs will need to be removed along with the corresponding giveaway.
    • DLC and no CV games (those marked with a double asterisk in the giveaway list) cannot be given away in the event.
  2. Liking gift boxes

• When you're viewing a gift box and you're a fan of the design, show your appreciation by clicking the "Like Design" button. You also have the option to browse all of the gift box designs you liked or view the most liked gift boxes in the community. Remember, the button is for liking the design of the box and not for rating the game inside.
    • If you're the creator of a box you'll see the number of likes your design received instead of the button.
  3. Peeking in gift boxes

• You can peek in 10 gift boxes each day.
    • When you peek in a gift box, you'll see a random number of games (2-4) and one of them is contained within the gift box. You can use this information to help decide whether or not you want to open the gift box.
  4. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found when opening or peeking inside of a gift box.

Happy holidays!

2 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Yay! The boxes are back! Happy Steamgift holidays everyone!

2 years ago

Being able to like box only before it's opened or peeked into would prevent people from "voting" on games inside.

But great event as always :D Will try to make time to make some boxes.

2 years ago

Being able to like box only before it's opened or peeked into would prevent people from "voting" on games inside.

Conceptually reasonable, but imagine how annoying it'd be to have not thought about liking it until later, and then being unable to go back and do it. That'd undermine an event intended to be fun. But even more importantly, a major part of box design is how clever it is, not only how stylish it is. And you won't know the clever aspect until you peek or open. Ergo, the proposed change probably'd cause more problems than it solved.

Thankfully, "liking" doesn't really do much (well, so long as cg doesn't end up giving out a prize or something), so it shouldn't matter much by the end. If there were actual outcomes involved, then we'd have to have a [Like Design] configured as you indicated, as well as a [Like Concept] after opening. We could still have [Like Design] available after opening in that scenario, but just not have it count for ranking purposes. Though I guess that may end up with someone insisting on a recount..

In the end, I think if we go any deeper into this concept, in any direction, it'll just end up being more hassle than it's worth. ^.^;

2 years ago

That's way more deeper thinking that I did :D

2 years ago

Hello :)

2 years ago

t!cookie Hiro

2 years ago

It's time to check all the anime boxes then get disappointed when they don't contain anime.

2 years ago

Hurray! My favorite time of the year! 😊🎄
Thank you for this wonderful event! I will definitely participate 🎁

If you like this idea, it would be nice to see special icons next to the giveaways, as it was on the 10th anniversary of the site, and that they remain forever, and not disappear after the New Year holidays.

2 years ago

I agree with every word!

2 years ago

YAY! It's that time of the year already!!! ^_^

2 years ago

All over it like a dog on a bone!

Good luck all and Merry Xmas to all

2 years ago

I love this event, thank you for this amazing event :3
Happy holidays everyone!

2 years ago

Happy holidays! :D

2 years ago

Would be nice to add a file size limit next time. Or at least disallow gifs? Some of those designs are 20-30 mb each.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays/Kbty1 this one has a 52.9 mb gif

Edit:

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays/S4Dtf this one has 313.5 mb of gifs. I'm sorry, but this is insane.

2 years ago*

A new record. Had games that required less hdd space...

Also some are just advertisment for twitch streamers on the package.

2 years ago

already opened a box i already own on my 2nd try (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻┻

2 years ago

Thank you cg! Happy holidays!

2 years ago

This is fun, I've never opened so many gifts in my life. 😍

2 years ago

I wish I could convert "gift openings" into "5 peeks". I have a very small wishlist and would rather search through every thing rather then open stuff ;D

2 years ago

+1 Out of 40 peeks so far I have opened just 4

2 years ago

Can someone explain to me what the benefit is of doing a giveaway in this event vs the regular way? Doesn't it reach more people if you do it the regular way?

2 years ago

They all end at the same time.
They are wrapped nicelly (or not).

It's just about having fun. No extra benefits.

2 years ago

Oh ok thank you, then I will make some ;)

2 years ago

Thanks for creating this event cg. Appreciated!

2 years ago

Advent bump! Thanks for hosting this event every year ^^

2 years ago

It's a fun event to participate in as a gifter. Not so much fun of the receiving end though - at least for a person with a relatively short wishlist (that is, if we don't count free games and games that haven't been not released yet) and an extremely long list of hidden games.

2 years ago*

Because it always says you can't open the box? In that case you can set the filter to boxes you can enter.

View attached image.
2 years ago

If that's the case, I've got a GA that practically has your name written on it. I mean, not literally, but it does have a name on it...

2 years ago

yay fun event

2 years ago

Is there a way to see our designs from last year?

2 years ago

My favourite time of the year here! I just wish the "available" filter would include games on our Ignore list, there's not much that's more disappointing (on here, at least) than opening a giveaway box to find a game you don't want

2 years ago

They actually tried that one year, but it turns out there are a bunch of users who don't use the ignore feature at all, and they complained, so we got the "peek" mechanic instead.

2 years ago

I reckon you've got nothing to complain about if you don't use it, it's one of my favourite features of the site

2 years ago

The issue iirc was that people would just hide like all bundled games and that way they could make sure they would only be able to open the most expensive/wanted games. But I could be wrong on that. I do wish, however, there was a way to just hide NSFW games as I don't enter those types. Or VR games.

2 years ago

Ahhh I can understand it if that was the case. It still sucks that it kinda ruined things for others in that regard, but I can understand it.

I don't mind the occasional NSFW game (with conditions of course lol) but I absolutely agree on the VR games side. There's no way I'd ever be able to afford a VR headset for starters, so I just hide anything VR

2 years ago

Yeah, same for VR. I also hide almost all nsfw games (i hide nudity, not like bloody games or w/e). Just not really into that thing, esp all the shovelware nsfw games.

I don't even have a PC so VR is kinda out of my mind. Just a thinkpad.

2 years ago

Actually, Oculus Quest 2 only costs $300; I haven't been able to afford a headset before that as well (I mean, $1000-1500 for a toy, seriously?), but this price turned out to be relatively affordable for me. I hope that this tendency continues, and the following generations get even less expensive, so never say never!

2 years ago

I was thinking about it because of the price but I've heard not the best things about the Quest 2 because of its Facebook integrations. Like when Facebook was down, so was the quest. And also, I don't have a decent computer to hook it up to.

2 years ago

Can't argue about the Facebook problem unfortunately, but decided to ignore it because of the headset's price (I'd never be able to afford Vive, for instance). But PC is not the issue here: one of the cool things about Quest 2 is that it's actually a pretty powerful computer by itself and can work autonomously without depending of your PC specs.

2 years ago

Does it run steam games though, or do I need to buy Oculus games for it if my PC is trash?

2 years ago

That's actually a really good question. One I have to admit I haven't got an answer for :(

2 years ago

I'd love to be able to afford even that, tbh, because aside from the reliance on Facebook I've heard nothing but amazing things about the Quest 2. It would also be a fantastic way to help me lose all this fat I'm carrying around lol

2 years ago

It was not about price, it was about an ability to actually find GAs for games you want, be that a bundled indie game or a new AAA one. As of now, it's probably enjoyable for people who don't really care what to enter, but for me, for instance, it's 10 peeked, 5 opened and zero entered. Fun!
As for VR games, it's a bit unfair on gifters' part to avoid pointing out that they are giving away VR games (because, obviously, the majority here don't own VR headsets). Personally, I'm giving away a bunch of VR games, and I've placed a headset picture on all the boxes; that's not a perfect solution, but I do hope that this hint is enough. But yeah, absolutely, since there's no rule demanding to act this way, such a filter would make sense.

2 years ago*

Yeah, the event was actually enjoyable that time around. Now, it's aimed at people who would enter anything for +1, not at people who only enter GAs for games they actually want.

2 years ago

I enter only for games that I want and I am still enjoying this event, just saying.

2 years ago*

I'm glad for you, nice to hear that it's possible. Not everyone is a whiny bore like me, after all :)

2 years ago

If I may make a suggestion: can you show how many more hours are left in the day before we open a present that day? I don't see any reason to make it ambiguous while we still have 5 openings.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago*

And so does opening a gift box, but that's not my point. I'm not saying there's no way to know, I'm saying we shouldn't have to go out of our way to find out.

2 years ago

For more than half of the boxes, I'm either blacklisted or own the game... can't this be removed from the list so I don't have to select 20 boxes to open 5 of them?

2 years ago

2 years ago

Nice event.

Just a small suggestion for the next event or for next year. Maybe to make it more "exciting" or "spectating".

My suggestion is that when peeking into a "chest" or "gift box", the results that show all are legitimate, ie legitimate giveaways from different users or from oneself in case you have created several, but obviously the site would choose only one of these at random.

I think this would still maintain the "surprise or mystery" of what you could get, since it would be random.

The only "drawback" is that you would have to share the design of the gift box.

2 years ago

It would be great to be able to filter by OS or VR. Last year I didn't have a PC, only a Macbook and wasn't able to check if I could play a game before entering.

2 years ago

Why can't we peek into boxes for region restricted GAs? I don't want to enter those GAs I just want to see what could be in those nice boxes ;_;

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.