We keep seeing people in the steam group post about having lots of games but their library is only worth like 5 bucks or 10 bucks. They get confused as they don't seem to know about bundle games and games that were given free not counting towards the final amount.

So my suggestion would be a couple of things....
When it falls below the $100.00 mark they should get a list of all the games that do not count towards the final count. And it should be split into 2. The top part should list all the bundle games they have that do not count with a link to the bundle list.

Below that part should be a list of all the free games they have that do not count with a link to a free games list (like the bundle list which should be official and searchable, instead of just an unofficial list in the discussion area that no mods or admins seem to link people to).

At the bottom should be a list of all the games that they have that have not been given away for free and are not bundled.

Doing something like this would help these people figure out what they are missing, why they are missing it and make it easier for them to figure out what they need to buy to be able to get past the $100.00 minimum.

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

before that they should fix: once u attempt to sign in without meeting the minimum, every page u go to before signing out shows the minimum page, had to suffer from it before i was able to register here xD

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

I would suggest them to read the faq. If they can't read it/don't bother in reading it, it is their fault. It is all explained there. People who don't read the faq are potential regifters, and we don't need those users.

7 years ago

I mean yeah it's irritating I'm sure, but the FAQ is right up top and if you're looking and confused I think it'd be the easiest thing to find fast. The minimum isn't THAT small I think - even with bundled games I would assume. If anything I already click that topbar a LOT when I'm on this page and stare at it a ton I assume others do too.

If anything maybe a link for the current Bundled and Free games - I know it's on SGTools but I'm not sure the affiliation with steamgifts is what I would think would be most helpful. I would still simply just include this in FAQ. (I know steamdb does a basic calculator for you as well - basically it's not super super hard to find I suppose)

7 years ago

the bundle game list link is additionally on this sites faq page as well =)
SG Bundle List

7 years ago

I guess I'm the one who can't read!

7 years ago

the faq page changes frequently, im not even sure when that was added.
i had that bundlelist bookmarked for a ~year from a old discussion comment, and only just yesterday found it in the faq. =)

7 years ago

It's not really explained there. All it says is:

"Users sign-in using their Steam account, and we require their account to be valued at $100 or greater. Games that have been accessible through bundles, or games that were once available for free due to promotions or pricing errors are not included in this calculation. We have this requirement in place to prevent users from registering multiple accounts."

To someone not familiar with Steamgifts, the concept of bundled games and "free" games and pricing error games would make zero sense. And note that the bundle list isn't even linked there. A link to it is buried deep in the FAQ, where no new user would reach before giving up (The FAQ isn't exactly short, you know!). In fact even I couldn't find it when I skimmed the page, had to search "bundle" to find it. And the list of free games isn't linked at all. (Actually, is there a list of free games? Or are they included in the bundle list?)

And even if new users somehow get to the bundle list, what are they gonna do with it? Search for each of their owned games manually? Search for any games they could buy or trade for manually? It's not like the list is something you can look at and get an idea of what's going on, there are 6,168 games on it! And it's just the games, no explanation of why they're on the list. To a new user the whole thing probably seems arbitrary and obtuse.

Because of this I completely support Gwarsbane's suggestion. It's a necessary first step. What's more, I'm not sure if $100 of non-bundled games is still a reasonable requirement now that it's becoming increasingly hard to even find such games on Steam. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but the check doesn't even care whether you got the game before it was bundled. So you could end up with people spending hundreds of dollars on games and still not being able to use the site because almost everything they bought went and got bundled.

7 years ago

i don't know how what info is given to those people when they try to register, but listing the value of each game and why they are considered bundled would help.

anyway, people don't read, so it might be all useless.

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

+1 especially the fact that we need an official list of free games that can't be given away and more visibility for the bundle games list.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.