Greetings friends of Steamgifts, today i seek your knowledge on the matter of PAD controllers for PC, should i buy a Razer Sabertooth (Wired) or a classic XBOX 360 (Wireless).

Also i really like the idea of a wireless controller but the notion of dealing with batteries annoys me deeply. For what i understand there are some solutions here:

Buy some energizer batteries with a charger.

Buy the ">Plug & charge kit" which i read there is trouble with this as it tends to stop reconizing when you connect the cable.

Buy the "Xbox 360 Quick Charge Kit" which i read that the batteries pack will die after 6 months or less.

Please help me here that i am not really convinced by any solution, is it that hard to give rechargable batteries from factorie with a cable and/or recharging station like the Razer mamba mouse?

Thank you for your time!

Update:

I decided to go with a wireless XBOX 360 controller because i am lazy and tired of cables. Will probably buy some rechargable batteries, probably the sanyo eneloop.

Apps recomended from users in this post:

Turn off controller without removing batteries:

http://pety.me/XboxExt/

Keyboard and mouse simulator for controller (ideal for lazy people like me):

http://www.xpadder.com/

Cheers!

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

1 decade ago

The thing is if i buy a wired controller would be the Razer one, i mostly use controller when i have some friend visiting me and for that i already have a cheap genius that does the job (most times may need the xbox emulator). I like the Xbox wireless so i can stop worring about cable length and steping on it.

1 decade ago

i'm currently using a wired xbox controller, range seems to be pretty long.

1 decade ago

"PAD controllers for PC"

shudders

1 decade ago

I prefer keyboard+nouse but when you play games with your friends in the same pc controllers will do the job :)

1 decade ago

Yes, I agree. It makes life easier instead of using another keyboard + mouse lol.

1 decade ago

Some games are better played with controllers. Racing, fighting and platformer games for example.

1 decade ago

Perhaps fighting games because the buttons are closer and easier to reach, and racing because of the gradual movement needed to get around corners, but I think platforming requires a decent amount of precision, which the PC excels in.

1 decade ago

Well, I'm a recent convert to controllers, but I do agree somewhat with desidiosus. Though it's true I use the pad mostly for "chill" games, some games definitely feel more natural on the gamepad. Cart racers for one and 2D fighters, definitely. I also thought the recent DmC felt more fluid with a gamepad, but to be fair I felt the complete opposite for Space Marine.

Comes down to preference, I guess. I'll never be caught dead using a gamepad for anything that requires any sort of first-person aiming though.

1 decade ago

I played primarily on a PS3 for 4 years and although I feel comfortable enough using the controller, the keyboard and mouse will always be my preference. I do understand that some games are easier using a controller, but I tend to avoid playing those sorts of games anyways. I like to push myself to be faster and more precise, which a keyboard and mouse are very good at, no matter what I'm playing!

1 decade ago

As is my preference as well. As far as I'm concerned, there's no beating the mouse for analog precision.
Just speaking up a little for controller-users :P

1 decade ago

Are you high? How can you say with a straight face that keyboard is better than a gamepad for racing games? You need to be able to turn gradually or you're going to go into uncontrollable drift if the game is any good.

1 decade ago

I didn't consider that, whoops?

1 decade ago

Dark souls prepare to die edition is one example.

1 decade ago

When using AA batteries, I use the Duracell Rechargeabe StayCharged (2000 mAh). They keep the charge really well, and if you buy a pack of 4 then you always have some spare charged & ready. For the record, I use a wired 360 pad for my PC anyway, I use these batteries for my camera.

1 decade ago

Thanks, i will have them in mind.

1 decade ago

Play & charge kit don't work on PC. I have it, works only on xbox 360, and only charges when You hook it up to usb on PC.
Go with a wired controller.
Controller I use and it works pretty good on PC and xbox 360: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Officially-Licensed-GamePad-Black/dp/B007WBA9F6/ref=sr_1_20?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1367408746&sr=1-20&keywords=madcatz

1 decade ago

Thanks for the info. If i buy a weird controller would be the Razer, if i buy an Xbox would be wireless, i already have a cheap genius that is wired and does the job with an xbox emulator, not ideal by any stretch of imagination but i donĀ“t use controllers much so i can live with it.

1 decade ago

Play and charge kit works the same way on PC and Xbox, the cable is charge only on both.

1 decade ago

when it comes to rechargeable batteries I highly recommend eneloops

1 decade ago

Will take a look at them, thanks!

1 decade ago

The original Razer Onza is somewhat notorious for it's flawed production runs, meaning they wear out faster and/or have sligth malfunctions out of the box. I'm not sure if they fixed that for the Sabertooh.

Xbox battery packs do have limited use - how long depends on how much you use the controller. Quick Charge kit and Charge & play kit contain the same type of battery pack as far as I know.
One annoying side effect when you use the wireless pad on PC is that there's no easy way to switch it off apart from removing the battery. It does switch off automatically if left idle for a few minutes though.

There's also the wired version of the Xbox pad to consider. Slightly light to the touch since there's no batteries weighing it down, but otherwise handles the same as the wireless version.

If you're looking for a controller with a good D-pad, neither are particularly attractive options..

1 decade ago

About turning off the controller. there is a tiny app which does that. It is very convenient. Press & Hold the Start button. A prompt messege will ask you if you want to turn off the controller. then press A to turn off.

1 decade ago

Pretty sweet, thanks!

1 decade ago

I've recently started using a wireless x360 controller for windows and I never knew the "not being able to turn off" thing was a limitation. I always assumed I just didn't know how to turn it off properly. The battery cover opens easily enough though :P

1 decade ago

Even on the Xbox 360, I typically unseat the battery pack to power down my controller. :p

1 decade ago

Had one Onza replaced under warranty and the replacement (new in box, non refurbished) hasn't had the issues. While I was waiting on the warranty replacement I purchased a Mass Effect edition one and it as well has not had the issues the original one had. As far as support goes Razer has been quite awesome to me on the rare occasions I have needed to contact them.

1 decade ago

I myself have 2 xbox360 wireless controller. I truely enjoy the freedom without a wire. The recommendation below about batteries might be convenient. I'll do the same.

1 decade ago

xbox 360 controller. its better

1 decade ago

I probably belong to the minority, who prefer DualShock 3.

1 decade ago

+1 I'm there with you. That's why I use the DS3 Tool for PC games if I want a controller.

1 decade ago

me too, xbox controller feels too bulky

1 decade ago

i feel that the dualchock is incredebly small. my thumbs hit each other when playing some fast paced games. also there are no trigers and the thumbstick is concave which makes it harder to rest my thumbs.
those are my reasons where dualshock fails...

1 decade ago

I think X360 controller would be better. Of course invest in rechargable AA batteries too.

1 decade ago

Razer

The solution is to avoid at all costs. Problem solved.

1 decade ago

So, I'm playing with the wireless 360 controller, and it's f*cking awesome. For the battery problem: I bought about 240 Kodak batteries for 20 bucks, but I had to change them only once in 6 month now. Just get a little backlog of batteries for your controller and use them ONLY for this reason :P

1 decade ago

And no matter what you do: Get XPadder (or similar software, but XPadder is the best!), with that you're able to controll your mouse 'n stuff. Just connect the pad, choose a picture and push every button. Now drag & drop every button to it's place on the picture and connect it with some commands (move cursor, rightclick, ...)

1 decade ago

I like to keep it simple with my wired xbox controller.

1 decade ago

logitech f710 i have it and loving it

1 decade ago

I can confirm that the xbox 360 quick charge kit will kill battery packs in 6 months or less.. it absolutely has nothing to do with the fact that I left the battery charging for 2 months straight.. absolutely nothing :P(don't ask why.. just don't.. because it was a RROD)

1 decade ago

Only xbox 360 controller^^
But one problem. You need receiver for connect your wireless controller to PC :/
I buy from china - , but low price and free shiping)
this x)
Also battery

1 decade ago

I have both. I prefer the DPAD on the Razer so I'd say go with the Razer.

1 decade ago

Well even though I prefer Dualshock (works great with mac, needs some 3rd party drivers on win) I do have MS wireless gaming receiver device to connect my 2 XBOX 360 controllers. After the initial driver struggle (bought from ebay so I'm pretty sure it's not the official one) it works really good and have no connection issues whatsoever. The wireless gaming receiver cost like $10 and I have no issues with batterylife (using eneloop rechargables)

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by InvasorKazz.