Update: Sale's over folks, hope you got some great games at a great price.

Just saw that Spike Chunsoft is holding a great sale.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - $3.99 (80% off)
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - $3.99 (80% off)
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony - $15.99 (60% off)
Danganronpa 1 & 2 Bundle - $7.18 (82% off)
Danganronpa 1 & 2 & V3 Bundle - $17.97 (78% off)
Danganronpa 1 & 2 & Another Episode Bundle - $12.57 (82% off)
If you want to get the whole Danganronpa series, it's slightly cheaper to buy the 1/2/V3 Bundle and then the 1/2/Another bundle for completion.
Another Episode is an optional but recommended game that takes place after 2 and before 3 (the Anime), all of which take place before V3 (the game).

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games - $5.99 (80% off)
The Nonary Games includes 999: Nine People, Nine Hours, Nine Doors and Virtue's Last Reward.
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemna - $3.99 (80% off)
Zero Escape Trilogy Bundle - $7.98 (80% off)

There's other games on sale too, like the spin-off Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls and Steins Gate 0, and all are historic lows: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/SPIKECHUNSOFT/#browse

I can personally vouch for Zero Escape: The Nonary Games being awesome escape-the-room / visual novel games with a gripping and thrilling story.

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

This one looks like a great bundle too for someone like me who doesn't own any of them. I'm still unsure if I'll splurge for them because I'm on a tight budget but I'm thinking about it... I've never seen them so cheap.
And I definetely agree, I've play the Zero Escape game on my DS a long time ago and it's an awesome game!

4 years ago

yeah thanks bought it right now :P

4 years ago

That one has 1 & 2 and the spin-off. The spin-off Ultra Despair Girls looks pretty different, being a third-person shooter. I personally think the 1&2 bundle for $7 may be better, or the 1&2&V3 bundle for $18 since V3 is $16 by itself (and is also apparently a huge, 40-100+ hour game).

4 years ago

Danganronpa series is awesome if you like murder mystery

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

This pack is quite tempting, these games never go for so cheap. I'll have to think about it.

4 years ago

Yeah, that has Danganronpa 1&2 plus the spin-off Ultra Despair Girls.

There's also the Danganronpa 1/2/V3 bundle for $17.97. V3 by itself is $15.99 as an all time low, so it's like buying V3 and getting 1&2 for $1 each.

4 years ago

Go for it, they are awesome, and you will sink many hours into them. Just check my play times on Steam. :)

4 years ago

bump

4 years ago

I've bought all the Danganronpa games (Trigger Havoc / Goodbye Despair / V3 / Ultra Despair Girls) and the cheapest way to get the lot is to first purchase the 1 + 2 + V3 bundle and, in a separate purchase, Ultra Despair Girls as the Absolute Despair Collection is a "complete your collection" deal. You only save about 0.5 EUR but it's still cheaper than buying them all at the same time.

4 years ago*

Ah, good to know. I wasn't sure if these bundles qualified for a "complete the bundle" discount or not.

4 years ago

Thanks! I was about to ask exactly that (what was the best combination of bundles to buy all the games). (ツ)乃

4 years ago

Would it be cheaper to buy the DR 1 & 2 bundle at 82% off, or the 1/2/Another Episode bundle at 82% off, and then buy the 1+2+V3 bundle to get V3 by itself at 78% off? Or is the 1/2/V3 bundle not a "complete your collection" bundle?

Is there any way to tell what's a "complete your collection" bundle?

4 years ago

If it's a set it usually just says "Buy *title*", whereas if it's a "complete your collection" it says "Buy *title* BUNDLE (?)" instead and you can hover over the question mark.

A trick to figure out the cheapest way to get all items is to check the bundle discount. To get it for the cheapest price, buy the ones with the highest bundle discount first until you get all games.

Note that overall discount is NOT the same as the bundle discount. The bundle discount is the one that's usually crossed out. For example, Danganronpa 1/2/V3 may have a 78% overall discount BUT it actually has 25% bundle discount. That means, the bundle gives you a 25% discount ON TOP OF the already existing discount on the games. Which means, after applying all the other discounts (80% off the first two games, and 60% off the third), it shaves 25% off the discounted price. Think of it as a 1.25 multiplier to every discount in the bundle.

Now, if you already have some of the games on the bundle, those games are disregarded towards the price computation. Say you have only the first game. Then, the computation will be 80% off the second and 60% off the third, and then 25% off the final price. The percentage will be lower than 78% this time. If you have the first two, then only the 60% will be counted, and then the 25% will be added on top of it, so your final percentage (if you have the first two) is 70%.

Apologies for the long explanation. ^^;;; Basically yes, Lengray is correct. The cheapest way to get all games is to buy 1/2/V3 at 25% bundle discount, then Absolute Despair at 10% discount. :D

4 years ago

Thanks for this explanation, to be honest didn't know how it all worked, you made it crystal clear now. :)

4 years ago

No apologies necessary, this is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you for the thorough and comprehensive explanation!

Now I know how to spot a "complete your collection" bundle and how the bundle pricing works. I feel like a more savvy Steam consumer already. :)

4 years ago

Thanks for the heads up :D The game were tempting for a little while, just bought the Danganronpa 1 & 2 Bundle because they are the only ones mac compatible.

4 years ago

Fire Pro with all DLCs just 13,29€ ;)
Or less when you have the basegame or more DLCs.
THIS is totally worth of it. :333

4 years ago

Are you sure? The base game is 8,39€ and the "Fire Pro DLC Bundle" is 13,29€ but it doesn't seem to include the base game, only the 4 DLCs (you'd still miss the charity DLC).

4 years ago

Ups xDDDD
You're right. :D

4 years ago

how long will the sale last ? :)

4 years ago

I couldn't find that anywhere. If you find out, let me know.

4 years ago

i will :)

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Offer ends 12 Aug @ 7:00pm.

(for CEST)

View attached image.
4 years ago

Ha, thank you. It wasn't showing up for me last time I checked. :)

4 years ago

didn't do it for me either but thanks :P

4 years ago

Ends August 12 @ 1:00pm EST. So it's just this weekend.

4 years ago

Both are among my favorite franchises. Danganronpa was great through the whole games but the quality of presentation dropped for Zero Escape after the first game (not a fan of the 3D models). They are both great games, though. Consider buying Danganronpa if nothing :) Have fun y'all.

4 years ago

Yeah, I also greatly preferred the 2D models of the first game. I'm not sure why they made the switch. I still loved the game overall, but I missed the lovely 2D models.

4 years ago

Two of my favourite series, definitely worth it at that price. I'm tempted to get 428: Shibuya Scramble, almost bought it a couple times before and it's even cheaper now

4 years ago

It's fun and worth the price IMO but don't expect it to be as mind-bending as the other series.

4 years ago

Damn, thanks for the heads up, I am huge fan of the series, and now they are half the price than I had paid on the last sale. Zero Escape Trilogy is a must, and I will think about Danganronpa V3.

This post on reddit is great - explaining order in which you should play games and watch anime.

4 years ago

Oh, that's very helpful.

So basically Danganronpa 1, Zero (light novel prequel, optional but recommended), 2, Another Episode (recommended), and 3 (Anime, essential) concludes the story.

And Danganronpa V3 is a different story that takes place after Danganronpa 1-3 and assumes that you've played and watched them.

Wow, that was not clear from the marketing at all.

4 years ago

Order in which you have to watch Danganronpa 3 is especially confusing. If I hadn't read that post I would be so screwed, because I would've watched all episodes from Despair Arc which happens before Danganronpa 1, and then all episodes from Future Arc which happens after Danganronpa 2. But fuck logic, you watch one from the future first, then past, then back to future, rinse and repeat. And it was great that way, was surprised by quality and how they connected all of it.

4 years ago

Oh, I didn't even notice that part. That's... really weird.

4 years ago

I like big tits!

4 years ago

That's... nice.

I like gelato.

4 years ago

Moge, Moge, Moge

4 years ago

Thanks for the informative post. I've been curious about Danganronpa for a while so after I check my bank tonight i'll probably snag a copy of the first game. Four bucks is absolutely excellent.

4 years ago

I will suggest buying 1+2 bundle for 7 bucks. You will like first game so much that you will want more, but then discount will be no more. :))

4 years ago

Yeah, I was surprised at how low it was. Previous low was $8. And now you can get 1 & 2 for $7.18. I've heard great things about the series, and it seems similar to Zero Escape which I loved.

4 years ago

Going into Danganronpa, all I can suggest is to be super careful what you glance at in the guides/walkthroughs or when googling. They've been out for a while and people are happily lobbing spoilers everywhere.

The game itself is pretty much a visual novel, with linearity softened by having roaming segments but ultimately only one way to push forwards. Initially it might seem like a drag, but once it warms up, it really warms up. It also goes all-in on the tropes and exaggerated personality archetypes, but once you get past the shock of having it thrown in your face, it actually kinda works. Sorta like how Jojo's Bizarre Adventure goes full ham and owns every second of it, and somehow it just works.

The sequel was far more polished and an improvement on all fronts, and I liked V3 (the third game) despite dividing the fanbase. Play order for canon is 1 > 2 > AE > 3 (the anime, which itself is divided into two side-by-side arcs) > V3. I'm all caught up, and despite having been a real slog, it's been worth it.

Funnily enough, I've actually been watching a Lets Play of the first danganronpa on youtube just lately, haha.

4 years ago

LOVE the DR series (as you can tell from my profile pic I'm sure, but I still need to get around and play the Zero Escape games). This sale is amazing, I hope it encourages people to play these great games!

Thanks for letting people know about the sale. :o

(small heads up: currently your link to V3 in your post is currently for DR2 instead of V3!)

4 years ago

Is your profile pic character from V3? Haven't played that one yet.

4 years ago

Yep, he is! Kokichi Ouma. He's pretty much trollface personified.

4 years ago

Woops, clearly my copy / paste skills failed me. Thanks for pointing that out, fixed now. :)

And if you liked DR, definitely give the Zero Escape games a try. I've only played the first two, included in The Nonary Games, but they were really good and sound really similar to DR.

4 years ago

Got the Zero Escape Trilogy and Danganronpa 1/2/V3 bundles.
I once played Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, when it was part of some Playstation Plus monthly. Was pretty bored at the beginning and incredibly excited by the end of the game. I never expected such a drastic change in how I judged a game.

As I've been told that my beloved VLR is actually one of their weakest visual novels it was a no-brainer to get these games for such a great price.

4 years ago

I've only played it and 999, and I liked the story in 999 better, but both were surprisingly captivating. VLR does start out a little slow, but once they introduced the rabbit I was hooked. The rabbit had some of the best voice acting I've ever heard.

4 years ago

Zero Escape Trilogy BUNDLE :
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2638/Zero_Escape_Trilogy/
It has 2 games ,what's that about ?
Shouldn't there be 3 ?

Haven't played this yet so maybe i'm not in the loop :)

4 years ago

The nonary games contains the first 2 games

4 years ago

Ah ,thought it might be something like that ,thanks.

4 years ago

The Nonary Games is actually a bundle of 999: Nine People, Nine Hours, Nine Doors and Virtue's Last Reward. For the PC release the two games were bundled together, and 999 was smartly updated with the VLR branching engine, and sold as one item: The Nonary Games.

4 years ago

Cheers for the info ,didn't know that.

4 years ago

I bought the NecroDancer VS Danganronpa bundle during the Summer Sale, so you can imagine I'm pissed off rn.

4 years ago

are they cheaper now? I bought trigger happy havoc and danganronpa 2 on the vita when they first came out and I still haven't started on em. at least now I can keep em sealed

4 years ago

Half of what I paid for.

4 years ago

ouch, that is a big drop-off for just a month or so difference.

4 years ago

They are half the price now in regard to summer sale.

4 years ago

It's weird how aggressively these smaller japanese publishers are pricing their titles on pc. idea factory does the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if humble manages to put out a spike chunsoft bundle soon. meanwhile on consoles physical copies of these things are exorbitantly overpriced in comparison

4 years ago

Yeah, PC games have always been cheaper than consoles, with more aggressive discounts. But Danganronpa 1 and 2 came out 9 and 7 years ago respectively. They came to Steam 3 years ago and lowest they have been until now were 8 bucks a piece. Wouldn't call that aggressive pricing really, they are top games in their genre, but it is relatively niche. I would really love a bundle like that, or alternatively every now and then for them to show in a monthly.

4 years ago

I think that's pretty aggressive for something niche that is selling to it's audience anyways. I have the whole series on vita and if I wanted to, I could probably sell the set for more than $100. $8 is still pretty deep considering the last psn flash sale danganronpa 1 and 2 were only at$9.99 digital.

4 years ago

:(

I know how you feel. I bought Detroit: Beyond Human when it was on sale, and about a month later a bundle with Detroit and Beyond: Two Souls goes on sale for the same price, and Beyond by itself costs 2/3 of the bundle price.

4 years ago

Good games, not looking to buy them at this point. Maybe down the road. Tks :)

4 years ago

Holy crap. I almost bought some or all of these during the Summer sale, but decided not to because I was still hesitating over which ones to get for the price. No hesitation now, that's for sure! Edit: Okay, a little hesitation over Ultra Despair Girls, since I've heard it's not as good as the rest, but I went for

I've played the first Danganronpa, watched a fairly thorough LP of the second, and watched the anime sequel, so all I'm missing story-wise are V3 and UDG, but I'm getting the lot because they're awesome.

As for Zero Escape, I played 999 a long, long time ago on the DS, but deliberately kept myself out of the loop after that, so I know absolutely nothing about any of the others except that that one person from the end of the first game is apparently a major character in one of them? Been wondering about that one for nearly a decade.

I'm gonna have a lot of fun. :D

4 years ago*

Well, if you want to replay 999, the Steam version is updated to use the branching tree structure from VLR so you can see exactly which path you took, where it branches, and can skip to any previous branching point - no more having to hold down A for what seems like forever to skip through all your previously read text or having to play through the game 3 times if you randomly pick the wrong path your first time through. :)

4 years ago

Ooh, that's a nice feature. It's been nearly ten years, but I still remember the fast-forward gauntlet I had to run through half a dozen times to get all the endings. It's a relief to know that I'm not going to have to go through that again.

And heck yeah I want to replay 999! I'm prioritizing the new games, but I definitely want to revisit the ones I've already played. They're too awesome to leave in the dust.

4 years ago

I think my approach will be to get Danganronpa 1+2.

And then get this bundle when the Crypt of the Necrodancer DLC goes on sale (the only thing I would be missing in the bundle)

4 years ago

My thoughts exactly

4 years ago

I waited so long for the Zero Escape series to go on sale. On the summer sale I finally cracked and bought both of them for 18€ and now they are on sale for 6€. Since I didn't have the time to play yet could I request a refund and buy them again at this price? If the refund takes longer then a week and the sale is gone, is it possible that someone from my friendlist "buy this game as a gift" while I still own it (so I can redeem it after the refund was granted)?

4 years ago

If you purchased for more than 2 weeks, steam would not refund you even when you never play the game for more than 2 hours.
Please note that others would not be able to gift to you via gift if you own the game.

4 years ago

"Never" isn't exactly true. There is no harm in trying to get a refund and Steam is somewhat flexible. If you are a great customer and don't abuse their system they can be quite forthcoming.

4 years ago

I always only get automated responses...or a manual automatic "no" if i insist and appeal again. it certainly won't hurt to try but I wouldn't hold my breath for steam's "helpfulness"

4 years ago

I'd try it if I were you. Usually they react to refund requests within 24h and even if it would take too long, they'll certainly offer at least a similar deal as the one you got during the summer sale rather soon. So there isn't much you might lose by trying.

4 years ago

Having been similarly screwed over by a recent PSN sale, I know exactly how I feel. :(

This sale only lasts this weekend, and I don't know that Steam will issue a refund in time, or at all if it's been over 2 weeks.

I can tell you that the games are fantastic, and while it sucks to pay 12 euro more for them, they're great games and I think you'll find it was money well spent.

4 years ago

If I watch youtube videos on these games, would it pretty much be the same experience? I don't like the fact we have to go through the slow scenes and dialogues every time we want to make a different decision

4 years ago

As of Danganronpa there is no different decisions to be made when it comes to visual novel parts, story is linear 100% percent. In trial parts you are presented with options but only one is correct, it is like playing a puzzle game. So if you have any interest to play these games I would highly suggest not to watch a playthrough and enjoy them by yourself, much more satisfying that way. Haven't play ZE series but I read in this thread that it has different paths/decisions.

4 years ago

I can empathize with the lack of interest to go through the scenes and dialogues, in that case you'd definitely do better just watching a playthrough of someone else...

I ultimately still played them myself because I like to find out every tid-bit etc from the dialogues as im never sure if the videos will cover them all (probably not). But I certainly would have saved alot of time if I just watched the vids to get the majority of the plot etc.

4 years ago

Is having someone read a book or watch a show/movie and then tell you about it the same as reading or watching them yourself?

Games are an interactive medium, and by taking away the interaction you take away an essential component of what makes them work. You lose the emotional connection and investment made by having it be your choices and your story.

Now, for the Zero Escape games, I can tell you that the room escape puzzles are fun and interesting, and the games use a branching decision tree where after completing a playthrough you can jump directly to the branch points to go to a different path.

I haven't played Danganronpa yet, so I'm not sure about those.

4 years ago

kind of. watching someone playing the last of us and actually playing the last of us had little to no difference for me. It depends how much control you have over your character and if you can do something that is characteristically "you" or follow along on a developer's predetermined footsteps. If it's the latter then watching saves time.

Does that tree mean many choices lead to infinite outcomes? or does each line follow one character to choose from one of three paths

4 years ago

I can see what you mean about The Last of Us, as the story is set and there's no player choice. Zero Escape features lots of player choice, as the decision tree illustrates.

If you just care about the story, I can see how you could watch The Last of Us and get the bulk of the story - though I personally can't stand watching other people play games on Youtube, and if you're after a story I think there are much better ones to be found in books, movies, and shows. While Zero Escape does have "one true path", the fun is partly in making choices yourself and getting corresponding endings, and you'd miss out on both the interesting puzzles (you will need to make notes) and on bits of lore and backstory you learn while doing the puzzles which make little connections in your mind as you're trying to figure out the story.

I'm not sure what you mean about the infinite outcomes. There are many different endings, and so each choice takes you down a possible path until you get to the end. There's a finite number of endings. In the first game, 999, there are fewer choices and fewer endings, while VLR has many more endings and some paths may be locked until you complete another path. With the branching tree you can see which choices you've made, which endings you've gotten, and can skip right to the branch points to make a different choice.

4 years ago

As Timobkg said, on Zero Escape you have a flowchart feature and can jump directly to the choices you want to change and see the consequences. Sometimes to progress on a story, you have to go back to the beginning of the game, change one choice, and then immediately go back to where you were before. And your first choice as the beginning wasn't even bad, possibly you had do to it to unlock another part of the story. Playing with the flowchart, especially on the last two games is an essential part of the game.
(In the screenshot Timobkg put, the player is actually blocked, that's what the black padlock means. You have to make another choice, explore another part of the flowchart to learn some information that will unlock this part of the story).
(In the DS version of 999, this flowchart didn't exist, and you had to restart the game from the very beginning, seeing (and skipping) the exact same dialogues. This would not have been fun).

And you would miss on all the escape-the-room puzzles. Some of them are just point-and-click segments, but some of them require to do math, or to do some lateral thinking to find some password. If you are interested in puzzles, you should definitely play it rather than watch it.

For Danganronpa, watching youtube versions might be similar to the real experience. The most important gameplay element is trials (like Phoenix Wright if you played those games), where you will have to find which argument is essential to refute another argument, or to put piece by piece the story. There is only one good answer each time. If the youtuber you're watching is not as smart as you, he may take more time to find the arguments, which may be awkward.
There is also a friend system where you can pass some time with the other characters which might ultimately give you some bonus. If the youtuber chooses someone you're not interested in (and you don't have enough time inside the game to speak with all of them, so some choices have to be made), you might be bored by those sequences (but hey, there is fast-forward)

In any case, I would suggest watching the first chapter of the first DR game. This should be a 4-5 hour watch I think (
two hours story + two hours trial maybe ?) Each DR has 5-6 chapters.

4 years ago*

wew, gud poast. If there's frontal cortex puzzles involved it looks like Zero escape is a buy and DR is a watch

4 years ago

Zero Escape series here I come!

4 years ago

Got DR1 + 2 (thight budget atm T_T), wish a was able to get them all and the ZE series as well, but hey can't complain. Thx for the heads up !!

4 years ago

Similar here. Got DR1+2 and then went over budget to squeeze in ZE, and now I'm scared they will be in a Humble T1 before summer is over ...

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.