I can't decide which CPU to get!

The i5 3450 would be $130 while the 3770k would be at least $230. Gaming performance would be similar except in games that use tons of CPU. Unfortunately, my motherboard does not OC, so the 3770k would be slightly wasted. I have aspirations to stream, so the 3770k would be better for that, but is it still feasible on the 3450 then upgrade if necessary?

9 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Which CPU should I get?

View Results
i5 3450
i7 3770k
Get off 1155 ya noob!

A Core i5 is enough for games.

9 years ago

You think Socket 1155 is bad? I'm running an i7 990X Extreme, with socket 1366!!

9 years ago

My room mate is still on 775, so it could be worse! lol

9 years ago

Who's your roommate? The Piltdown Man?!? lol

9 years ago

My comp is like 10 years old with 775 + GTX 280 LOL! (Dell XPS 720)

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

9 years ago

If it's only for gaming, go for i5.

9 years ago

i5 is great for games. Not worth the extra $100 to move to an i7 in my opinion.

9 years ago

Just $130? Wow man, that's so cheap. Where would you buy this stuff?

9 years ago

Buying it used, would be another $100+ if they were new!

9 years ago

Go for the i5 3450. Even if money isn't an issue, you don't need the extra horsepower for any of your needs (even streaming). Also, I'm sure that if you have a Geforce card that is ShadowPlay ready you could simply use part of your GPU for Twitch streaming (as far as I've seen/read).Video editing/low level programming would be a good use of an i7, but the i5 is jet as good.

9 years ago

Thanks! I've only read about ShadowPlay and figured it would help. I only have an old 5850 right now, so that'll be next upgrade after the i5 3450!

Looking to get a GTX 670 or equivalent. Would only be another $130ish or so, so almost the price of the 3770k alone!

9 years ago

I've had the i7 3770k it's a very nice CPU but slightly overpowered for games and remember when you do decide to get it, to get a good Cooler because the i7 3770k reaches really high temps... the standard intel cooler won't be enough ^^... Right now I have the I7 4930k which is more then overpowered for gaming but I also do render a lot of stuff and so on... if it's just for gaming you could use the i5 but if you wanna be set for a few years I'd go with the i7 3770k

9 years ago

Forgot to add, but the 3770k was delidded to lower temperatures. Not being able to overclock it on my current board makes it less appealing though!

I have a nice Scythe Ninja and CM 212+, but they were purchased in the 775 days so I imagine I would need something to mount them on 1155.

9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I was kinda leaning towards the i5 and planned to do a total upgrade of mobo/cpu if and when I need it.

Just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't making a dumb move!

9 years ago

Go for i5 but try to upgrade to i5 4th gen, 4440 at least.

i7 is not worth the extra price unless you use it for other stuff than gaming, like 3d design and etc.

9 years ago

I happen to be ordering an i5 later today. :P (A 4690)
I'd say go for the i5.

9 years ago

Your probably never going to use the extra cores that the i7 holds. My recommendation is to go for the i5, even for streaming.

The only situation where you should get the i7 is when your doing something CPU heavy that will take advantage of the multiple cores, like 3D work, photoshop, sony vegas pro, etc.

9 years ago

i5 is enough for games so go for that.

9 years ago

What games are you planning to play?

Anything Cryengine 4 or Unreal 4?

EDIT: Also full specs?

9 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 months ago.

9 years ago

You don't need that kind of processing power for gaming. Save the extra money, so you can buy a better graphics card some time in the future.

9 years ago

i5 is enough for gaming. BUT since you'd like to stream I recommend i7, no one likes laggy streams and depending on your other components the i5 could become a bottleneck for HD streaming.

9 years ago

Pffft, 1155. 2011 all the way! :D

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.