With the way things are shaping up right now in the PC gaming space, I wouldn't be surprised if CD Projekt decides to release Cyberpunk 2077 exclusively on GOG. (Assuming it will see the light of day before the year 2030). I remember reading somewhere (I forget where) that sales figures weren't exactly rosy for Thronebreaker on GOG, and the game may have fared better on Steam. Cyberpunk would be a different proposition though, and maybe the studio would be confident enough to release it exclusively on their own platform. That's just wild conjecture though, I have no idea what will happen.

I know that on this site especially, a game not being on Steam is a huge deal for many, although that has never really bothered me personally my most played game is actually on Origin, so a GOG only release of Cyberpunk 2077 would still be a purchase for me. What about you, though? Assuming the game releases to good to great reviews, would you buy it if it were exclusively available on GOG?

Also, I seem to have left this here.

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Would you buy Cyberpunk 2077 as a GOG exclusive?

View Results
Yes, of course.
No Steam, no buy.
Not buying it, regardless of store.
I'm getting PotatoPunk 2019 instead.

In a heartbeat! Of course, the price have to be right! ~__^
They make good games and its basically DRM-Free which means you can play ANYWHERE!!! Which you do not need a Client to play. So whats the issue with more clients? You can even download from the browser. :D

View attached image.
5 years ago

Absolutely! In fact, I rather buy stuff on GOG if I have the opportunity. While I have more games on Steam (2k vs 513 on GOG), a lot of those are free games or random bundle stuff.
I can play offline whenever I want.
I don't have to worry about some intrusive DRM.
They are not trying to pressure me into purchasing some random DLC or shitty Hentai Puzzle.
GOG is giving away cool games on a regular basis.
Their big sales don't include that you basicly can't use their site anymore for half a day or have to play some shitty minigame.
I don't get random requests from scamers.
The newsfeed on their site is actually interesting.
They still find the time to develop some amazing games*.

*I am not into Multiplayer games (Dota) and Artifact is a giant cash grab. Other than that Valve has only produced Half Life 20 years ago and some spin offs (Portal/ CS)

5 years ago

The moment it drops below $1.

5 years ago

i have steam wallet so only steam. I would buy on full price tho, after 1-3 days of release if reviews are right (60%+) and CD Project gives out a good quality and dont start the rip off microtransaction heavens.

5 years ago

I plan to buy it there anyway, regardless if it's on Steam or not. I don't get people that only buy games on Steam. Out of all of the digital distribution platforms out there, GOG is the most consumer friendly. They have actual tech support, their refund policy is better, and they don't put DRM in any games there.

5 years ago

I prefer Steam due to regional pricing so I'll wait until they release it on Steam just like how they did so with Thronebreaker.

5 years ago

I would buy it. So, in a while, they are right that exclusives work. That's the reason I like Steam and GOG. They don't have exclusives. And that's a problem I have with the epic store.

5 years ago

nope. steam or torrent. xD

5 years ago

Yes, but I wouldn't be willing to pay as much if it wasn't on Steam: I can't use my Steam wallet on GOG.

5 years ago

GOG charges via "boacompra" which is, by far, the shittiest payment method available in brazil.
I'll NEVER go beyond nothing on GOG when they still use this boacompra shit.

5 years ago

I wouldn't guarantee anything. I doubt I'd buy it, but perhaps. I'm not desperate for Cyberpunk. But if it were on Steam store, I would wishlist it and maybe buy it if a good deal came up.

Buying from another store would have to mean that I'm extremely desperate for the game.
I've already forgotten most of the games I own on other DRMs and it bugs me a lot.

5 years ago

No mac, so.

5 years ago

I bought the Witcher 3 on GoG 6 months ago, so no, I don't care if Steam or GoG only.

5 years ago

I would certainly buy it on GoG, but only for a discounted price (50%), that's what i did with the Witcher games. GoG deserve some love, it's a great platform.

5 years ago

Valve accept payment in local currencies and have many different payment methods (not only international credit cards and paypall), thus mean that the product placement capabilities of Steam is much more bigger than GOG, there's no need to be a big marketing brain to understand that by selling your product through Steam you can reach consumers and markets that will be unattainable for GOG.

This fact is valid for all the other plataforms, who try to overcome Steam, it take YEARS to Valve put in practice this feature, now they accept payment in about 40 different currencies. Good luck with that EPIC and Discord ;)

5 years ago*

Does client ever matter for a single player game?

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

sure why not

5 years ago

Recently, I'm moving to GOG for most of my purchases. I'm not using Steam anymore, unless I get games for free there. So yeah, I'd be perfectly fine with the game being exclusively available on GOG.

5 years ago

Don't care if it's released on Gog exclusively. By the time I get around to it they'll probably be giving it out for free ;)
Suspect it won't happen because they'll be missing out on millions of potential customers.

5 years ago

I probably wouldn't. I don't have a GOG account, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Would I love to play Cyberpunk 2077? Heck yeah! But if it was just on GOG, I would just have to watch some Twitch streams or Youtube videos of it.

And while I'm here, I really wish they would release The Last of Us for PC. I don't own any consoles, so I missed out on that particular gem.

5 years ago

(Seeing as this thread got reanimated by someone else anyway:)

Well, we're moving in that direction with console-to-PC porting already, especially with the recent Epic push. The main hindrance woudl be that Sony has already set up PC access for their games with their Playstation Now subscription service, and they may not want to cut into that too much. Especially not with Naughty Dog games, which are key exclusivity highlights for them.

Of course, there's always the option for emulation, for those desperate enough. These days, however, we've enough solid games in our PC library backlogs that we don't really need to aim for any particular game, regardless of how appealing it may be. Nevermind that someone unmotivated to create an account on GOG is likely going to be even less likely to fuss around with setting up emulation and hunting down roms. ;P

5 years ago

If it would be for GOG only? Ye, why not. No Steam = no buy is some paranoia.

5 years ago

I buy everything from GOG, whenever possible.
I prefer DRM- free and want to legally own my games, not just rent them like on Steam

5 years ago

on steam i have regional prices to buy cheaper so yeh i must go no steam = no buy

5 years ago

Sure thing. If it's released in 2020, I'll probably buy it on GOG Winter Sale 2024 for $3.99 or I'll just wait for the promo where they give it for free before Cyberpunk 2080 is released in 2025.

5 years ago

I dislike GoG achievements and the overall client design (which still feels placeholderish), so I'd prefer Steam, but would buy on GoG too

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.