Hey - don't worry - this thread isn't going to be such a pain-in-the-ass like my non-smoker thread :)

What do you think, which one should I get - or are there even better ones (for beginners or progressed beginners) in this price range?
I'm looking for a consumer/prosumer DSLR kit cheaper than 450€.
Image quality > gimmicks
Low price > TOO much for beginners

Thanks in advance :)

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Based on my personal experience with Nikon D5100, I'd choose Nikon D3200.
But I have not previous experience with Canon.

1 decade ago

Thanks for your answer ;)
Well, I do have a Canon XA10, but that's another thing :P
Friends of mine have either Nikons or Canons, so I couldn't rely on their "unbiased" opinions :D

1 decade ago

The Nikon takes slightly better pictures overall and is capable of recording videos at 60 fps unlike the Canon. Also it weights less, which is quite important when you are gonna use the camera for longer periods, so i'd say get the Nikon.

I would suggest you to try them both, so you can see how well you feel with buttons and menus and decide by this mean.

1 decade ago

I figured I could just try them both - but why not ask ;)
Well, I do have the Canon XA10 for shooting videos and weight is not so important to me.
What's really important is image quality - and the Nikon is better herein, you say?

1 decade ago

Just a little bit and the differences show up only with a decent set of lenses, so it's really just a matter of feeling rather than pure quality.

1 decade ago

Why don't you just buy a used D90 or D5X00? Just look how many pictures have been taken. They are better cameras and DSLRs don't usually get used up that fast.

1 decade ago

Used stuff has always bugged me somehow :/
Especially, when buying some used technical devices on ebay .. that just isn't for me, I guess (not to mention warranty etc).
So.. I've got a 400€ budget and pretty much want a new device with the best image quality possible for it, with not TOO many gimmicks, but lots of manual settings.

1 decade ago

Used is fine, just make sure whatever you buy has a decent shutter count, thats pretty much what matters.

1 decade ago

Have you checked out the new Pentax camera's, I have been doing photography for years and honestly they have the best bang for buck and the best backwards compatibility with older lenses. I have Nikon camera's but I always tend to prefer the neutral colors on the Pentax, Nikon can be harsh and Cannon has red issues if you ask me...

Also if its about image quality Pentax has made crazy nice strives in that since the K-5(Which I whole heartily recommend and is cheap now). The build quality seems best on the pentax also, Nikon comes in second, canon dead last, sorry but unless you spend a fortune the build quality is meh at best.

Its also nice that most of the Pentax ones are water proof, I have seriously taken my camera out in storms and it has been awesome, you can leave the thing out in a heavy downpour...

1 decade ago

D5100

1 decade ago

smena 8 m Here's a camera, not what your Canons and Nikons

1 decade ago

When someone asks me the best pizzeria in town, I don't tell them to go to Disneyland for the exciting characters and rides.

1 decade ago

generally speaking... action shots: canon, product shots: nikon
iirc, nikon's slightly better for low-light/no-flash too

can't go wrong with either though, and there's a huge emphasis on my "generally speaking"
+1 to checking out HillaryClinton's suggestion of Pentax as well, for thoroughness

re: used -- used gear at that level is a little hit or miss depending on the source -- but you might try a pro photo forum with a used gear section (most used forum gear I've gotten (all audio stuff though) has often been taken care of very well and it's just being sold because the people on that kind of forum have a high rate of turnover with their gear, as opposed to eBay and to a lesser extent, Craigslist, where sellers are just trying to get rid of it). if nothing else, you'll have good prices to compare to.

[edit]
Also, hit up flickr and do a search on each of the camera models you're interested in.
[/edit]

1 decade ago

Color rendition in Canon is more to my taste. Warmer colors. But you may want to hold off and get the new mirrorless that's supposed to be coming out next year. My DSLR is way too heavy to lug around everywhere, so it ends up being a waste of money.

1 decade ago

Thanks to everyone who responded ;)
I've had a quick read on pretty much all your statements and I'm pretty sure now.

Just one last question:
Is the feature "Auto Exposure Bracketing" worth it?
If not - I'll order the Nikon in a couple of minutes ;)

1 decade ago

44 minutes - bump :P
Do me that last favor ;)

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by abaris919.