Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Doesn't seem to load. Or is taking forever !

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

1 year ago*

So whatever it was is now working normally. ESGST isn't on an endless loading loop anymore.
Thankyou !

1 year ago

1 year ago*

Chrome: 102.0.5005.63
ESGST: 8.9.6

Hello! I have a few questions about this wonderful add-on!

3.5 Discussion Tags:
I have begun using the Tag feature for threads in the Discussions, but have not yet found the way to filter the threads after placing the tags. For example, I have a tag "Favorites" on several threads, but cannot find how to show all (and only) the threads that have this tag.

I saw a similar mentioned issue for giveaways several years ago. It was treated as an enhancement request (to be able to filter giveaways by tag) and resolved (i.e., added to ESGST).

3.3.2.24 Visited (Discussions):
I have this enabled thinking I could use it to see a list of discussions I have marked as visited. But so far, have not found the way to filter on this flag. In case it can be used to hide visited threads... I was hoping to use it to see ONLY threads I marked as visited. Of course, if one could filter to see ONLY threads with one or morel selected tags, I would not be trying to "hijack" this feature. 🙂

3.3.2.26 Unread:
Perhaps I am misunderstanding this feature. It shows the unread comments in a thread (font color=red). If I use the "Mark all comments as read", the "Unread" count goes to zero (disappears). But when I go into the thread and actually read the new messages... ESGST continues to show those messages as unread until I click on the "Mark all messages read" icon. Do you know if I am missing something (again) or is that is an intended feature or if it is a bug? Again, Thank you!

1 year ago*

you have to mark them manually
it would be bad if it automatically marked as read just because you clicked on the discussion without actually reading each and every comment.

instead youre able to mark either the whole discussion as read or mark each and every post individually while reading using the eye icons under every post.
that way you can even track where you left off

1 year ago

I just went into a small thread.... 8 messages total. All 8 showed as new. I manually scrolled from the top to the bottom. In my opinion, based upon how all other forum/discussion software that I have used functions, that SHOULD mark all as read. But when I go back the Discussions page, that thread still shows 8 unread messages. I believe that every message that actually scrolls across the screen should be marked as read.

I started out asking for clarification on the intended functionality of how a message may pass from "Unread" to "Read". If this is functioning as intended, then my I will make an addition to the Request feature of this wonderful product. :)

1 year ago

yeah like i said, it doesn't work automatically.
just because you saw them on screen they wont get marked as read. right now it needs to be marked manually using the eye icons.

i personally like it this way and i wouldn't want it to get marked manually as i sometimes, when there is a big thread or many big posts, that i start reading but have to leave halfway. if it would get marked automatically as read, i wouldn't be able to get back to where i left of.

though if it was optional and you could decide whether it works like this or that way then it would be nice and everyone would be happy lol

1 year ago

Every other software that I have ever used (in 30 years) marks a message as read when scrolling across the screen. You don't like it. :) I do. :) Apparently many other people do as well since it is the way many other discussion platforms work. :)

But, I think you are misunderstanding. If you enter a long thread... and read from the beginning to the "halfway" point... only the messages from the beginning to that halfway point would be marked as read. Since those further down the list did NOT scroll onto your screen, they would still remain as unread... just as you want. :)

1 year ago

but what about replies made inbetween =O

1 year ago

I would assume that any messages added AFTER you left the page would be marked as new. Just as, after clicking "Mark all as read"... ANY new message regardless of where in the thread (beginning, middle or end) is marked as "Unread".

1 year ago

i actually meant whent visiting an already visited discussion by e.g. using the button to get to the last new post... if its inbetween or at the end... it could happen that you see other new posts on the screen.
right now i can see which posts are new by looking at the eye icons (fading doesnt work somehow anymore :/ ) and i can mark and skip to the next unread post by using the eye icon with the double arrows
if they automatically get marked as read i might not see it anymore if there are more new posts

anyway... as long as this is an option that can be toggled as one likes, i dont have anything against it and im rather pro more customization :)

1 year ago

Is there a way to have ESGST check which groups you are a member of without clicking on the giveaway page and if you are a member it changes the color of the group icon to whatever you want?

So for example if I'm on the main page or a user's profile I see a group GA, ESGST can see that I'm a member and the icon color is gold instead of green.

1 year ago

No there is not, ESGST does not change group icon.

You could however have the names change color if you use one of my themes and have content loader giveaway groups set to Panel (On Page Load)

or also set content loader giveaway groups to Panel (On Page Load) and only show groups you are a member of, this would not require a theme.

1 year ago*

I'd like to request this feature then

1 year ago

what theme are you talking about?

1 year ago

1 year ago

I don't like using dark themes, thx for the suggestion

1 year ago

or also set content loader giveaway groups to Panel (On Page Load) and only show groups you are a member of, this would not require a theme.

Works without using dark themes ;)

1 year ago

heh ok I might check it out. Thx!

1 year ago

All the love for supporting Firefox ♥

1 year ago

hi, i think i once reported/ asked about it before but i cant find it right now.

so replies/posts marked as read used to get faded some time ago. now they are not and i can only see if i already read a post by looking at the eye icons underneath.

i recently got a new laptop so i had to set up ESGST again (didnt use a backup). i know that it stopped working at some point while i still used my last laptop... though i was wondering if it got fixed but now and i overlooked the option during my new setup...

could anyone point me to the right option or confirm that it doesnt work anymore?
thanks

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

both are already enabled and set to run everywhere :/

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

yes
see the screenshot underneath:
only your latest reply wasnt marked as read but every post no matter if read or not is unfaded
cleared cache, disabled stylus (dark theme)... but still not working

like i said before... i had this problem with my old laptop where it suddenly stopped working at some point (though cant tell exactly when it happened) and now the same with my new laptop... so im kinda irritated.
btw im using firefox 101.0.1 (64-Bit)
updated to firefox 102.0 (64-Bit), still not working

EDIT:
how do i do that console thing?

View attached image.
1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

its completely empty...?
is that normal?
i tried ticking errors, warnings, etc on and off but there is nothing

when opening i see stuff happening for a tiny moment but then its empty

1 year ago

its completely empty...?
is that normal?
i tried ticking errors, warnings, etc on and off but there is nothing

when opening i see stuff happening for a tiny moment but then its empty

lol and while trying to post this submission failed

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago*

oh now double post >.<

to make sure... it works for you?

anyway thanks for trying to help

1 year ago

While it can be normal it's very very uncommon, open the console, make sure that at least displaying errors is enabled(It would be better to enable everything but "XHR" and "Requests") on it and then reload a discussion page where the bug occurs. Does it stay empty or cleans itself after doing that?

1 year ago

Does that also happen with every other extension and theme disabled?

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

I am able to sync every single thing whitelist, blacklist, won games, won giveaways, etc, but I haven't been able to sync in EGST the grous for three months. I have tried manual and automatic, and still doesn't work.

Any ideas? Thanks!

1 year ago

known bug, wait for fix 😉

1 year ago

Do you have a link to the bug report? I can't find it on github.

1 year ago

https://github.com/rafaelgomesxyz/esgst/issues/1743 and https://github.com/rafaelgomesxyz/esgst/issues/1744 is related.

Basically anything that tries to match a URL from akamai cdn will break when it encounters a URL from cloudflare cdn, see PoeticKatana's post

1 year ago

Thanks for the links! 3 months now and no fix.

1 year ago

I see endless text:
Syncing your Steam groups...
It's not changes, no progress :(

Update:
I can't also sync friends. After some time i see "failed" and i try refresh page - i see "too many requests".

1 year ago*

Hi. Can u help me with few settings (i cannot find them by myself)
1) How to decline endless scrolling in comments secctions (not on game entering pages or it is not possible?)?
2) How to hide the entering games?
3) How to hide windows with messeges after entering a game?
Thank you so much

1 year ago

1) Under Endless Scrolling there is "Where to run it on SteamGifts?". In this section click on "Add New" under "Do NOT run it here: " and choose "Giveaway - Comments".
2) You need Giveaway Filters, Multiple Filters and Entered enabled. After that you can adjust the giveaway filters on the giveaway page to filter entered giveaways.
3) It's not intended that you can generally hide those messages. However you can use Cache repeated descriptions from the same creator for 1 hour and only show them once. and Filter descriptions..

1 year ago

hi, can anyone tell me how to use giveaway templates?
i can save them but i dont know how to apply them
im trying to make a train and choosing exact same time over and over again is a pain

edit: found it :)

1 year ago*

I have the Followed switch enabled under Game Categories, but the Followed label doesn't show up and filtering for following games gives 0 results even when there are games that I follow in the GA feed.
I tried backing up ESGST's Games data to text and can see many games marked as "wishlisted" but nothing is marked as "followed".

"242760": {
            "packages": [28497, 297407],
            "wishlisted": 1638564012
        },

It looks like the followed data in ESGST got wiped out at some point and is no longer syncing. It was working up until a few days ago.

Is anyone else having a similar problem?

1 year ago

This is working now. The followed label shows up and Sync is catching newly followed games.
I'm not sure what changed.

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago*

Deleted

1 year ago*

Hello there, good people. Had some stuff happened to my pc and had to reinstall windows. Now, I'm trying to restore my data/settings from pc with old file, but all it does just downloads new .json file What am I doing wrong?

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

P.S: You can install ESGST on mobile as well, using Kiwi Browser available on Google Play Store, it allows you to install addons for Chrome. So far I've tested endless scrolling because I don't have a lot of time since I'm on vacation. IPad and IPhone users, I'm not sure if there's an alternative or the same thing for you, since I don't own an IPhone to see or test.

1 year ago

A little notice that could be useful for people : i have been having horrible performance issues with the extension these last months, thinking it was my old rig that was becoming too old for those browsers getting hungrier and hungrier for power. Some pages would load and make freezes for long minutes, some where better. And i finally found what was guilty. I finally tried to tweak it a little, by removing some stuff, incrementally, and i found out that it was the content loader (2.6.X) that was messing things up. And it's not that incredible, since the groups management has had a lot of issues with the changes in the images url (maybe some other stuff, i don't know). So if you have perf issues with ESGST, stop 2.6.

What i don't get, is why i have no problems with the main giveaways page (or wishlisted, or recommended), but it freezes horribly on the new GA page, or the created / entered / won pages, and not too bad on the bookmarked page (only one where i need the groups list on hovering, because it's the only one where it works currently). If someone has an explanation.

1 year ago*

I started having the same horrible performance issues a couple of months ago, right around the time groups functionality broke because of the changed urls. Disabling most Content Loader functions helped a lot. Right now, the only setting I have enabled is "User Info" 2.6.5.

I suspect the reason you're getting much worse performance on those pages specifically, and not on the main giveaways page, is because they have a much higher percentage of group GAs. I have a feeling that each group GA is causing Content Loader to generate a request that spins its wheels indefinitely, eating up a lot of RAM and CPU resources. I remember my RAM usage spiking up by 3-4 GBs almost instantly whenever I loaded a group's giveaways page.

I started using this userscript as an alternative to Content Loader -> Giveaway Groups
Userscript - Group Info Hover

It works flawlessly. I even tweaked it to display the list of countries when hovering over the Region Restricted icon.

Edit: Another feature that I strongly recommend disabling is 3.5 "Created/Entered/Won Giveaway Details". It's a major resource hog. I don't know if that's always been the case or if it's a more recent deterioration.

1 year ago*

Yes, i finally disabled them too in the same sweep. Thanks for the alternative for groups !

1 year ago

Anyone else having problems with the Giveaway Templates feature?
Nothing happens when I click on the document icon in the new giveaway page. It used to work fine until very recently (one week ago).

Edit: Saving new templates is also busted. I get an infinitely spinning circle.

1 year ago*

I have no issue creating a new template. But I get an endless running circle when trying to delete it...

Also, has anybody had issues with group syncing?
I've tried it for the first time today and the sync runs for hours...
Tried adding my Steam API key but that didn't help.

1 year ago

Group syncing is a known issue and has been problematic for months. It has to do with ESGST using the wrong url when retrieving group avatar images. rafaelgomezxyx has to update the code.

Deleting templates not working is also a known issue. I provided a workaround to Quijote with step-by-step instructions a few months ago. Here's the relevant thread

I guess the recent problems I'm having are specific to me and are likely because my ESGST cache got corrupted somehow. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the feedback!

1 year ago*

Update:

Apparently, I couldn't use or create new templates because my templates data got wiped out at some point! Very strange.
I managed to get it working again by restoring from an old backup on Dropbox.

I lost a lot of changes from the past 3 months. So, remember to make regular backups folks.

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago*

I also lost the ability to save and restore templates, so ended up giving up on the functionality altogether. I'll check my backups to see if I can solve it

1 year ago

Hi. Can u help me with one setting? How to turn off pop up description message after entering a giveaway?
Thank you so much

1 year ago*

Hello, I'm sorry if someone asked this before, but I am having a performance issue and it seems to relate to the script.

For the past few months (or even a year), my Google Chrome has been really slow whenever I have SteamGifts open, especially when I open new tabs for individual giveaways, or if I try loading some pages.

I have changed my habits to not open more than a few tabs at once (otherwise Chrome pretty much freezes) when browsing SG, but now with the Community Train, I have been going from game to game faster than the ESGST icons can load, so I leave open the tabs of games I want to put in my Bookmarks, and I got awful performance after a few tabs (I could have hundreds of tabs open before but now I can't even approach 20).

I have opened the Task Manager to see how my PC reacts
Here is how my PC stats looked before and after clicking the 'Bookmark' icon on a giveaway

I also notice that while the tabs are open, my ethernet connection is constantly fluctuating up and down, like there is stuff happening in the background all the time. Just look at these peaks that happened two seconds ago as I was typing.

I absolutely love the tool and would be really lost without it, but right now my PC seems to be frying just by browsing SteamGifts... :(

Does anybody else experience this slowness?

1 year ago

Have a look at messages here from last weeks/months, there are a few about that (Edit : mine is 3 messages above). I was myself ridden with horrible slowness and freezes, and i had to deactivate some stuff, like many things related to groups, since they don't work well in ESGST at the moment, until correction. Then i stopped adding functionnalities to the won/given/entered pages. A few settings moved, and no slowness anymore !

1 year ago

That makes a world of difference, thanks so much :)

1 year ago

hi,
so with the current community train going on i would love to let the extractor do its thing and show me all the gibs
but somehow when i let the extractor run, it ends with only 528, even though we are currently on the 1781th cart.

doesn someone know whats wrong or knows how to fix thins?
im trying to extracts directly from the discussion page to there should be enough links to bypass even if someone deleted their GAs inbetween

clocking on random GAs also shows that i get both early GAs till ~360 and suddenly get GAs around cart 1300
i also noticed that the carts arent sorted by end time but somehow in order of the carts/in order of their extraction

1 year ago

Either a cart with a wrong link, or someone blacklisted you.

1 year ago

black list cant be as i even see those in the extractor.
but i thought if i directly extract from the duscussion page, where there are links to every 10 carts then i would be safe from that.... apparently it douesnt extract like that... :/

1 year ago

And then I disappeared again for 5 months... lol

Alright, I just pushed an update that should fix these issues:

• Groups sync doesn't work
  • Content Loader for groups doesn't work (related to the issue above - please sync your groups in v8.9.4 and it should fix it)
  • Game Categories uses recent ratings instead of all ratings (this one may take a while to take effect because of cache)

Please reply here with any GitHub issues for serious bugs that should be fixed ASAP and I'll prioritize them over the next couple weeks. I'm no longer actively developing the extension (obviously), but I want to keep supporting it by at least fixing bugs - also because I'm still paying for the server every month.

I likely won't be adding any new features, but if anyone wants to do that, feel free to send pull requests on GitHub and I'll take a look - but be warned, the code has grown into an enormous and very confusing snowball.

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

Welcome back, and thanks so much for the new version! Like Veebles, I see #1753's fix in action. However, I still see #1732. For example, the first game on my homepage is "Cook, Serve, Delicious 3," which ESGST says has a rating of "84% (19)" - however, the game actually has a 95% rating based on 1,334 reviews.

I think it's just because of cached data, though. How do I force game info data to refresh, or how long should I wait for everything to do so automatically? When I try to manually sync in the ESGST settings, almost none of the "last synced" dates actually change, so it appears that the manual sync feature doesn't work. I'm hesitant to click the "delete data" icon, because I don't want to delete all of my data, I just want the game info data to refresh.

1 year ago

and about the modified version ESGST+
Will you have these improvements?
ESGST+

1 year ago

The only differences stated there are:
The removal of the 30 day sync limit on some categories, it's unlikely to be changed as the restriction exists because of the requests limit implemented by cg on SG.
Allowing to not show giveaway descriptions, this has been discussed numerous times and will probably never be added.

Also it's called A-ESGST not ESGST+ 😅

1 year ago

really?
👻

1 year ago

Great!
everything is working like the good old days!
Welcome back!

1 year ago

Can anyone confirm that the game ratings issue is fixed?

I know it takes a while (7 days?) for the change to take effect because the game cache needs to be updated, but I'm seeing incorrect ratings even for games that last appeared on SG months ago.

For example: 80's OVERDRIVE is "100% (14)" in ESGST but "78% (185)" on Steam. The last GA before today's was on May 7.

Update: I installed ESGST on a different browser without any cached data and still got incorrect ratings.

1 year ago*

The fix must be applied server-side too, I think that part is missing.

1 year ago

Thank you so much for fixing the groups problem!

1 year ago

Stuck at v8.8.8 because of the WL/BL sync bug: https://github.com/rafaelgomesxyz/esgst/issues/1739
Quote: "It's not just that only the last page is recognised, but it also clears ESGST's whitelist data of all other pages."
Same is true for BL probably, but I only have one BL page so it works fine because the first page is also the last page in this case.

And related to above, not as important, but would be useful:
https://github.com/rafaelgomesxyz/esgst/issues/1750

1 year ago*

I'm curious, instead of trying to sync you WL/BL, have you tried toggling the WL/BL status of each user twice manually?

That should update the ESGST data and shouldn't take too long. The only downside is that you overwrite the date you added someone to your WL/BL if that's something you care about.

Edit: Nvm, you already tried that. I just saw your second comment under the ticket.

1 year ago*

Good to see you back, and thank you for being still interested in keeping ESGST working!
Not adding new features is totally fine in my opinion. It already has a crazy amount of features!

1 year ago

Thank you! Now only friends sync is broken to me. :P

1 year ago*

Quite handy but having two issues: sorting by end date doesn't work for me, items get reshuffled but the order is all messed up. Steam gifts, Firefox extension.

Also, syncing problem: whatever I select it tries steam groups and never finishes that.

1 year ago

Hello! I have been trying to adjust my filters so, when I go into the "Entered" GA's page, I only see the currently active GA's (not the ones that already ended). I might be missing something fundamental here, but anyway - is it possible to hide the finished ones, and if yes, which filters to use?

Thank you!

1 year ago

Ended -> false
should hide all the finished giveaways.

1 year ago

Thank you - I could not see the option, but it had not occurred to me that I had to manually enable it in the Settings. Did it and now it works like a charm. Sometimes I forget that there are even more things hidden in the Settings that I haven't tried yet 👍

1 year ago

Am I doing something wrong ? I've re-installed my OS so having to re-configure everything.

When I try to enable the options I want, I have to click Save Changes & Reset the page ? Because the changes aren't getting saved. None of the features gets enabled

1 year ago

It seems they get reverted when I reload the browser page

1 year ago

Now trying to remove extension & reinstall. Seems to have made some difference. Let's see

1 year ago

Deleted

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.