This week AMD talked a bit more about their next-gen CPUs, the Ryzen 7000 series (Raphael). Links to two articles about it below*.

In short, the Ryzen 7000 series will require an AM5 motherboard (announced X670E, X670, and B650). These will have at least one PCIe 5.0 slot, something only motherboards for Intel's Alder Lake CPUs have so far - specifically Z690, B660, and H610. This is relevant for next-gen SSDs and GPUs, as PCIe 5.0 offers up to 32GB/sec of bandwidth in each direction. In terms of gaming this means particularly moving into the realm of making 1-second load times possible. AM5 will support only DDR5 SDRAM.

And the CPU shown with 16 cores has according to AMD better performance than Intel's top CPU.

The prices are not known yet, with the release planned for fall of this year.

For me personally, the CPU flagship option is likely to be way too expensive from both Intel and AMD. But especially the PCIe 5.0 slot issue is why I am not looking much at upgrading GPU these days, but instead looking at motherboards (with CPU) first. That is either for Intel CPU at least mid-range B660 or high-end Z690 (in DDR4 or DDR5 version), or for AMD CPU at least X670 (DDR5 only), which should have at least two PCIe 5.0 slots, one for storage and one for GPU. And either of these choices should be good to fully carry next-gen SSDs and GPUs, with it later only about the cost of that one piece, instead of needing to renew it all then if I would go for previous-gen motherboard/CPU now - with older CPUs sure good enough for gaming for quite some time, but pretty much end of the line with PCIe 4.0.

Of course, not necessarily interesting what I am looking at, but just trying to give an idea where things are moving to.

About it with reference to gaming:
https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/23/23137217/amd-ryzen-7000-cpu-am5-motherboard-specs-details-5nm
A bit more technical:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/17399/amd-ryzen-7000-announced-zen4-pcie5-ddr5-am5-coming-fall

1 year ago

Comment has been collapsed.

It takes my M.2 NVME Gen3 SSD only ~20 seconds to load a game generally. Of course shorter load times and transfer speeds are always welcome if prices aren't astronomical. It's a little to soon for a swansong on PCIe Gen4 as I didn't encounter a single Gen5 SSD other than enterprise grade.
I'm interested in the concept of GPU directly accessing memory. NVIDIA calls it GPUDirectยฎ.

My gut feeling tells me software development has to catch up to hardware innovations now to utilize our gizmos to their fullest extent.

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

1 year ago

Biggest load times are the waiting for splash screens on games anyway. When you can't skip those, what's the point in bragging about 1 second game load times?

Building GPU slot into motherboard? Genius! /sarcasm

I can see this being great for people who upgrade bits every year, but for the rest of us (5+ years), the hardware will be incompatible with what we want to upgrade to. I remember this on a number of occasions getting something with "amazing" new features, but nothing being supported 2-3 years down the track.

1 year ago*

I bought a 520w PSU back in the day, one of the good reviewed seasonics... I think it was at late 2016. Two years later I got an EVGA deal and got a PSU+GPU combo from their official site, I upgraded (although it wasn't really needed) to a somewhat top 10 650W PSUs back in the day... some people even considered 'overkill' because back in the day 550W was simply enough...

Now they're telling you that with the new GPUs you'll need at least 1000W, prices are always up because of... something, there's always something... and now there are PCIe 5.0 slots that nobody uses but everybody wants...

Upgrading a PC is quite hard nowadays

1 year ago

prices are always up because of... something, there's always something... and now there are PCIe 5.0 slots that nobody uses but everybody wants...

PCIe 5.0 slots are twice as fast as PCIe 4.0 slots though. This means inflation has gone down so really prices are down if you squint at it like a government economist.

1 year ago

Thanks to read that, I hope my computer can hold 1 or 2 years, lol

1 year ago

Stop wasting your money on this stuff...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K007--xD8DU

1 year ago

with older CPUs sure good enough for gaming for quite some time, but pretty much end of the line with PCIe 4.0.

GPU still don't saturate PCIe 3.0. PCIe 4.0 will be all you need for the GPU for a very long time (unless nVidia/AMD start gimping the PCIe interface lowering the number of lanes, like AMD did with the 6500XT).

For SSD's, it's pretty much the same. Unless you're running a database server, or do a lot of big file transfers between drives, NVMe Gen3 is all you need. There's already very minor gains in load times going from SATA to NVMe Gen3. There's virtually zero difference now between Gen3 and Gen4 when it comes to load times (the bottleneck is not the SSD). When games start using Direct Storage, only then Gen4 may see some benefit. But Gen5? Useless.

PCIe 5 is just big companies wanting you throw them your money.

1 year ago

^ This.

TPU has done a great series over the years with benchmarks of PCIe bandwidth scaling, here is the latest: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-pci-express-scaling/

1 year ago

I'm interested in how invasive the new Pluton security built into the CPU will be. Really don't like the idea of Microsoft having their own hardware built directly into the CPU.
AVX512 support will be good for PS3 emulation, but not sure if it'll benefit gamers in any other ways. The extra power draw as a result of including it is also unfortunate (the top CPUs are going from something like 105W to 170W because of this feature), though maybe it can be turned off in bios.

1 year ago

What's strange (lol no it's total media capture by the pr industry) is how there doesn't seem to be any articles that compare Pluton to Microsoft's earlier Palladium attempt in the early 00s. They and other industry partners were working towards complete market capture for our own "safety" but the workers of the tech industry rallied against the concept and it died thankfully.

Some of the tech survived and surfaced in Intel's Management Engine that got used for some corporate remote access & management purposes. I'm not sure how much legitimate use it got though since it wasn't really small business friendly and third party remote management frameworks couldn't rely on its presence in 100% of their customers' computers.

1 year ago

Heh, new gen coming out. Maybe now I'll be able to afford current gen. I hope :D

1 year ago

mabey I can now afford the past gen!

1 year ago

I waiting for the "brutal" igp version of the new amd processors
it is supposed to be at gtx 1650 level .....

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.