I recently heard about a guy that in real life made some kind of experiment. He started to exchange thing for another thing with a bit bigger value with random people through internet announcement. I am not quite sure, but he started with thing like paper clip and with a time he achieved to get a car.

And the point is, that I'm curious how would it work at steam community. Starting with small item like CS:GO chest, or trading cards and slowly evolving into something bigger ;p of course it's not for earning anything like money, just for experience. And here's a question: do you thing something like that have chance to work? Maybe it's worth to try and see what will happened in like half year :D Post here what you think about it!

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

I've heard of traders building up from a few cheap skins to a knife, so yes, it's entirely possible. However, it's so much work and time wasted, you might as well just get a job instead. :P

8 years ago

I don't mean to do this to earn money, I am not even telling that I will do it, but I was just interested in idea :D but if it already happens so I guess it isn't anything new :)

And actually I have a job :D

8 years ago

Yes indeed it is an interesting idea. But its only good if you don't have a job. If you have then its just wasted time. :) By spending all that time working, you will not only buy a car, but you could purchase a house. (metaphorically speaking)

8 years ago

Again, idea was not for money, but to be honest I work, but almost all my money I have to sacriface for my studying (getting engineering degree) and live, so I can't really spend money on bigger games ;p only some sales and indies

8 years ago

this

I actually feel if I worked the time I use on SG I'd probably be able to get more games ^_^

8 years ago

Yes it works, my friend did that too.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

8 years ago

Yes, kind of, but I guess it wouldn't be so simple scheme in fact :p

8 years ago

Actually this would be the barter system that option is talking about.

8 years ago

I've done it in the past and it works. I ended up with a Flip Knife Safari Mesh (FT) because I was tired of rude people who reported You for scamming just because You did not accept their offer. If You're okay with that, then it's pretty easy.

8 years ago

it is entirely possible
i got into steam after i finally managed to get some money for The Orange Box (wanted TF2 really bad after playing it 'free' for a while)
2 years later (after they added the trading feature) i managed to get $2000 (cash) along with over 800 games in library, just by trading tf2 items / dota items / steam games with little to no effort, and the only real money investment was the $30 for Orange Box
$2000 in 2 years is nothing, but is extra cash i got out of nothing.

8 years ago

I was able to get 200 games with about 1700$ value in 2 months with investment about 20$ so I get it, but trading items weren't too good for me :P I weren't able to get any money on my steam wallet through it

8 years ago

seriously?

8 years ago

Well, you did play the game a lot, didn't you?

8 years ago

uhm...sure i got 1700 hours on tf2, but i started trading with hats and weapons i randomly found by drop. and since trading was a brand new thing, the prices weren't set like they are now. Back then you could've gotten 1 key that was worth 1.80 euros for 2 crates, then few days later 1 key was worth 8 crates, and kept getting more expensive.

8 years ago

There's no reason it wouldn't work. The trick to trading things is finding someone that values what you have to trade them more than the item they have to trade to you, even if their item has more actual monetary value.

8 years ago

Cat, I yet have to add a credit card to my acc. I never paid a cent on Steam.
It all begun when I saw a TF2 gameplay video on YouTube, and I really liked the game so I tried to pirate it. To my surprise the game was free (actually free not some kind of pay your virginity for a xp boost free) so I installed that "Steam". I discovered TF2 trading and was sad because I couldn't trade my items because of being f2p. Then I discovered Tremor, I did few tasks, got myself an ubersaw and started trading, ubersaw for scrap, scrap for 2 weapons, etc... After a few months of work I managed to get myself a an ubersaw and started trading, Ubersaw for Scrap, Scrap for 2 weapon, etc... After a few months of work I managed to get myself a premium tf2 acc which just expanded my trading, slowly I began collecting games and their card drops. I traded card drops for more and more games on steamtrades.com (rip) and I got myself quite a collection. Then bitcoin promos came in, I got myself a good 25$ from those and spent 13$ to get myself a 10€ wallet code which finally unlocked the god damn market. I really appreciated the market and made lots of wallet from there. 2014 Summer sale kicked in and I Paid 6 (?) keys for Valve Complete Pack, which got me CS: GO so I started safe betting, trading and watching tournament matches for Souvenir drops (got about 40€ from those) in CS: GO. Whenever I get a skin that is worth more than 20 cents I sell it at the market to buy more cards for game collecting addiction. So at this point I just trade so I can get better skins for CS: GO, hats for TF2 or more games.

Market Transactions
Purchase total: 23,84€
Sales total: 120,62€
Net gain: 89,78€

8 years ago*

O hello Freekill :D I know it's possible to live with just drops, I wasn't aware that idea of exchenging until you get something great is popular :p my mistake, have to try, to achieve something nice for myself :D

BTW you had to pay something to have opportunity to sell and trade :p steam limits

8 years ago

I did that in the past. It works. You just have to play smart ;) You can't get from a paper clip to a car playing dumb.

8 years ago

Of course :) I am aware of it

8 years ago

Yup! It was called one red paper clip I think it received a lot of publicity which is how it was successful (he got a house in the end). It's feasible for that to work, but not worth the effort and chance of getting scammed.

8 years ago

I had knights and merchants.... they offered me 10 cards. a guy gave me thief collection RU+CIS in exchange for 8 of those 10 cards.
i won

8 years ago

Never played Rotmg then?

8 years ago

Rotmg?

8 years ago

Free almost paytowin MMORPG on steam. For the kind of game it is, there's a lot of videos called "Rags to Riches" where people start with a potion and keep trading stuff 'till they get an end-game armor or something.

Edit: Full game name is Realm of the Mad God

8 years ago

8 years ago

Grohl with crue always :D

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.