I need a cheap video card like UNDER $100 that outbeats the GT520 By a longshot. :3

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

what's wrong with the GT520...? I just recently installed a 1gig 520 after my 8600GT started dying and I totally love it
definitely not the best piece of equipment available but sure-as-hell ain't "crappy"

1 decade ago

A 6770 or if your lucky and find a sweet deal a 460gtx or 6850

Make sure your PSU can handle the gpu

1 decade ago

460s are a rare breed these days. Lots of stores dont carry them anymore. Tiger/Newegg at least when I was looking.

1 decade ago

If you can swing $125 after rebates this is going to do you well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

1 decade ago

you have the same video card as i do xD and i also need to upgrade

1 decade ago

Why the crap would you want to upgrade? Can't be because of games. I can run games like Crysis (1 and 2)and Skyrim on Ultra perfectly with my GTX 260. o.O

1 decade ago

A GT 520 is much weaker than a gtx 260. Blame Nvidia's confusing #'ing scheme.

To OP, spend a tad more and get a 6770, beats the 520 by quite a margin. Anything under than that won't be a substantial upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121474

1 decade ago

OK, I gotta ask. I know I said I'm satisfied with my card, but out of curiosity what geforce card would be better than the 260? I say geforce because I'm not much of a Radeon fan

1 decade ago

A 270/280/470/480/560ti/570/580 I believe would be the next step up. Basically, if I remember correctly, a 260/460/560 are pretty much the same when it comes to power, just minor differences. I mean, there are obviously some differences in power and the newer ones do support better tech but overall if you were to swap out one for another you wouldn't see a huge difference. I don't remember what a 260 uses, but I know the 460 was a fermi and so is the 560, but the 560 I think has a smaller die and some tweaks to make it give off less heat or something.

Edit: I'd do some extra research to verify the info I just gave, since I tend to have a bad memory.

1 decade ago

A GTX 460 is closer to GTX 280 type performance, it'll handily beat up on a GTX 260. Any GTX 560 (Ti or vanilla can do even more). The 550Ti is a closer performance match to the GTX 260, though still faster.
450GTS on the other hand is slower then the GTX 260.

Edit: Looking around this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125396
HD 6770 for $100 ($70 after MIR) is easily the best price/performance option under $100. And is lightyears beyond a GTS 520.
If you MUST buy nVidia then save more, theirs nothing even remotely close under $100. A GTX 550Ti can be had for $120 and it's a bit faster then the HD6770 though the difference isn't much.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125410
At $50 more after MIR, it's awfully tough to justify though.
If you're looking for nVidia then you really shouldn't be thinking low end however, nVidia looks quite good in the mid range right now but their low end offerings leave an awful lot to be desired.

1 decade ago

I don't mind spending more for a good card.

1 decade ago

Nothing is confusing about their number series.

1 decade ago

The last two digits is roughly equal to the 'power' of a card. Rule of thumb.

1 decade ago

I would check on Newegg. I got my gtx 250 for 50$ when there was a sale

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

overclock the GPU until it fries if ur looking at replacing it neways =p.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by ruready12.