I was talking to a friend of mine who is very close friend to one of the devs, Zach Adams, who told me that they are really excited for the Steam release of the game on the 6th of December, 2022. And surely the Steam Page of the game says the same.

I was told the dev brothers are looking forward to the release as they are having quite a bit of a financial struggles. They are hoping that their passion project sells well on release.

The buzz for this game has dwindled over the years but here's hoping for the best for the team!

1 year ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Worth a buy?

View Results
Yes!
No!
Meh... Will wait for it to be bundled.

I don't know, I've played this almost a decade ago when modpacks were a distant thing and blinking ALT+ characters (ascii) were all there was to interpret along with b>m>d when goblinite appeared.
Sometimes I don't handle 're-releases' all that well and replaying old games don't live up to fond nostalgic memories .>
I'll wait this one out to see how good it actually is, it's on my wishlist

1 year ago

The ASCII art was kind of the identity for the game but I personally found it difficult to make sense. Maybe with the new pixel tile sets some people will find the game to be more accessible.

1 year ago

no idea why this particular game is getting so much attention - but i will maybe play it cheap

1 year ago

You can play the ascii version free, right now if you'd like.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

1 year ago

thanks

1 year ago

It had quite a following because of its gameplay, back when there were no games like rimworld... it was available to download for free since the alpha release in 2006...

1 year ago

to be honest before the recent load of game sites covering it i'd never heard of it and doesn't look like something i would play very quickly against the amount of games i already have - and there would be 0 chance of me paying £30 for a game i don't really understand what it is

1 year ago*

I want it so much!

1 year ago

Have you played any of the earlier builds?

1 year ago

Nope. :(

1 year ago

I do love the game but for something that's always been available as freeware as far as I know, $29.99 seems kinda steep. Is there a huge difference in the Steam version vs what's available on their website?

1 year ago

They have added pixel graphics to their game. That seems like one of the major differences. Maybe they also worked on the code and tweaked it to handle the scenario when a high pop count is reached. Previously it would choke the computer's resources and the game would start to stutter.

1 year ago

The late game slowdowns were usually what caused me to stop playing my forts. Some optimization there would be great to have.

1 year ago

Oh my lord... I legit thought at first that it'd be free like it's always been, but thought that they'd maybe go the way of Cookie Clicker with like a $5 price.

$29.99 though. That's... wow, that's quite a price to ask of people. I'm probably one of the few people to be down for paying more for games if it helps the devs, but this must be the most insane thing I've seen in a while. It's like if the new Assassin's Creed game suddenly was $300 or something lmao.

1 year ago

That's what I thought as well... there's so much competition and most of the fans must have already played this game before for free. I was thinking maybe $10 or $15 might be a fair price...

1 year ago

30$ for a game with 15yo development and constant update.
Game with endless playability.
The most complex game there is out there
and it's too much for people?!

Damn you're cheap ass and don't want to support dev so play original game for free and don't rant.

omg it's so depressive

1 year ago

Number 2 (number 1 really because the leader is the Steam Deck, not a game) top seller:
https://steamdb.info/topsellers/2022W49/

1 year ago

Good for them to be honest. I won't lie, I still have the same reaction to it, but also if Firefox started selling their browser for $50, I bet there'd be enough Firefox fans to pay for it.

Glad they're earning a ton though.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.