Source

Video announcement from M$

So they screwed up big time with the initial PR in the XbOne, used PCs powered by Nvidia and Win7 at the E3, lied about the always on requirement (saying it was "hardwired" and a necessity), charged 100$USD more than their competition, failed to bring any attention (at least positive) to their new OS....... and this is how they fix it......making Directx 11.2 exlusive.

Btw, one of the main features in DX11.2, is the possibility to basically use RAM memory as if it were VRAM, the same concept used in integrated graphics cards, allowing games to achieve a SCARY amount of detail, whether it's in texture quality, Tesselation, resolution, or raw triangles.

Yay! I just got shafted by M$ for sticking to a stable and trustable OS that is Win7.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

So, the most "notable" improvement is something that has been a default for integrated video cards for, like, 15 years? :|

I don't think developers will switch to 11.2, they know how little is Win8 popular with gaming users.

1 decade ago

If XBone uses DX11.2, I can see why devs would use it to kick out quick and easy ports, however.

(and then complain on the games not selling and blaming pirates for it)

1 decade ago

So basically Microsoft sells the same windows over and over again by adding slight modidfications and new digit at the end (Vista, 7, 8 is the same fucking os and dx10,11,11.2 is the same fucking thing, just slightly upgraded). Whats next? Windows update subscription? Service packs at the price of new OS?
Also Win7 interface is sucks too, i use modifications so it looks more like XP, im sure win8 will have these 3rd party modifications to the interface so its ok. What i hate is XUnholyLive integrated into OS, i dont fucking want it, cant i just uninstall this abomination?

1 decade ago

Vista is never near Win7 and Win8 is based on Win7, but no near identical. And read a little about DX10-11 and 11.2 and you'll see those aren't the same at all. And if you don't like Windows, just switch to Linux and don't complain anymore...

1 decade ago

Vista and 7 are a lot more alike than most people realize.

1 decade ago

Indeed. 7 was nothing more than version 2 of Vista. It was cleaned up, had some nice updates to the gui and system. A better OS yes, but still only an upgrade. That's why most Vista drivers could be used for 7 from day one.

1 decade ago

Surely now is the time for M$ to announce that they are releasing Halo 3 as a DX11.2 exclusive title on the PC. We all know how well Halo 2 boosted Vista sales.

1 decade ago

I don't understand all of the hate that comes from Windows 8. After I downloaded something to bring back the normal desktop and start menu, the only difference I've noticed from 7 is that it's much faster.

1 decade ago

Well, you HAD to download old desktop, so it's reason #1 :) .

And Windows 8 PR was implying closing platform and making people use MS Shop. People quite correctly assume that if this will work, Windows 9 will FORCE nearly everything to be only usable if bought from MS Shop. That's main reason - not that Win8 is flawed, but how its success can kill PC using as we know it.

1 decade ago

Fun fact: no dev is ever gonna use 11.2 as they will not want to exclusively cater to a tablet audience and lose even more money making their games than most of them already do.

1 decade ago

Fun fact: EVERYONE will use 11.2 because it's the standard used in XBONE. Because of this ports between console and pc and visa versa will improve dramatically. The reason dx 10 (and 11 to some degree) never took off was not vistas fault, but because most games where designed for consoles, that used dx9. Why do you Guys think most games are still dx 9? Dx 9 came out december 2002!! (9c in 2004).

1 decade ago

Consoles using DirectX at all
Nope. Period.
And no, they're gonna stick with DX11, because it will work on the CrapONE as well, while 11.2 will not work on most PCs. Simple as that.

1 decade ago

Ok mr Grumpy Bonehead Troll

1 decade ago

umad ms kid?

1 decade ago

Noone is mad that you are showing us your incompetence and lack of understanding and knowledge on this subject. We just laugh at the notion, that you believe that stuff yourself.

1 decade ago

aww yeah sure, youre right, im not, thats how the world goes round, hue hue.
Your lack of foresight is frightening. You also go to Burger King on your credit card 12 times a month?

1 decade ago

hue hue hue

1 decade ago

To have foresight, you need experience and understanding. You seemingly lack both. Turning to personal attacks instead of using argumentation proves this.

1 decade ago

Linux the new PC in the future I hope,

Actually OpenGL is better than DirectX as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong.

TF2 in OpenGL is fast than it using DirectX.

1 decade ago

I cannot correct you.
OGL is faster than DX, but need some more code.
If someone dont wans use OGL, can use TOGL - DX->OGL rewriter inside OGL.

1 decade ago

"one of the main features in DX11.2, is the possibility to basically use RAM memory as if it were VRAM"
How the hell was this not possible until now if it was just a matter of software?

1 decade ago

"one of the main features in DX11.2, is the possibility to basically use RAM memory as if it were VRAM"
How the hell was this not possible until now if it was just a matter of software?

1 decade ago

The W8 hate is rather funny.

1 decade ago

I guess that means that only devs paid off by Microsoft will use it. Yay!

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Onomatopesha.