Source

Video announcement from M$

So they screwed up big time with the initial PR in the XbOne, used PCs powered by Nvidia and Win7 at the E3, lied about the always on requirement (saying it was "hardwired" and a necessity), charged 100$USD more than their competition, failed to bring any attention (at least positive) to their new OS....... and this is how they fix it......making Directx 11.2 exlusive.

Btw, one of the main features in DX11.2, is the possibility to basically use RAM memory as if it were VRAM, the same concept used in integrated graphics cards, allowing games to achieve a SCARY amount of detail, whether it's in texture quality, Tesselation, resolution, or raw triangles.

Yay! I just got shafted by M$ for sticking to a stable and trustable OS that is Win7.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I'm okay with this.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

Making Direct X 11.2 only for windows 8 sounds like a Windows Vista problem all over again when they made Direct X 10 only for Windows Vista both the OS and Direct X 10 flopped.

1 decade ago

Yay! Now more developers will make games with a sys requirement for exclusive DX's ... :c

1 decade ago

[I just got shafted by M$ for sticking to a stable and trustable OS that is Win7.]
It's called progress, you know...

1 decade ago

No, progress happens elsewhere. This is Microsoft trying to sell their products.

1 decade ago

The future is fullscreen bright colored squares
invents a time machine see ya later shitlords!

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 decade ago

Fuck Microsoft.

1 decade ago

We have a Windows 7 and a Windows 8 PC in the home; both are fine but I just prefer the UI of Win7. Either way, this news doesn't make me care enough to upgrade the Win7 PC.

1 decade ago

And how is this supposed to boost the Xbone and W8 sales, M$?

1 decade ago

Basically, better performing games and graphics-heavy applications.
Truthfully, though, they've been alienating the gamer crowd so much on Windows that I'm surprised they made such a move.

1 decade ago

Well, M$ can suck my D. If steambox comes out and it supports all the games on Steam, I will make my move and buy a Steambox.

1 decade ago

i´ll wait for windows 9, acordinf to tradition that should be a good one.

1 decade ago

This.

1 decade ago

What kind of "tradition"?

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 decade ago

It isn't just a meme, there is some truth to it.

3.1 was ok, I won't go into a lot of detail here, as I did not use it a lot, having jumped from a 286 machine to a windows 95 machine.

95 was actually very nice, it added 32 bit multitasking, while maintaining perfect 16bit reverse compatability.

Windows 4.0 NT was not for households (mainly manufacturing) and it crashed a lot

98 was garbage at launch and required many patches before it became good.

98 SE was incredible and I know many people whom downgraded from ME or 2000 to it

2000 was the last NT version of windows produced, despite being NT it was widely used in homes and rather reliable.

ME was probably the WORST version of windows to ever be released. It crashed frequently (I actually watched it crash at an expo while Bill Gates himself was presenting it). It was also the first Windows to lack true DOS support. Microsoft abandoned support for this edition rather fast.

XP is still used by a large portion of people out there. It was clearly the best OS at the time, and was rather stable.

Vista was garbage at launch. It struggled with compatibility issues, memory errors, and crashing. Eventually it was patched to be a decent OS, but that took far longer than many felt it should have.

7 Basically a fully patched version of Vista with a couple of small upgrades. Decent reverse compatibility (as long as you aren't trying to go back to DOS programs)

8 It is a good OS that has some nice functionality, however, it turns a lot of people off due to the interface.

That would make it 6 good Windows versions to 4 bad ones, not counting 8 as time will truly tell, but so far I would rank it in the positive. With that kind of record, I can not personally blame people for being skittish.

1 decade ago

2k was one of the most underappreciated OSes around. It was rock solid, nimble, and a joy to use.

1 decade ago

Well, there's DOSBox for those DOS needs.

1 decade ago

Windows 8.1 is around the corner. It seems like your dreams come true... REAL FAST!

1 decade ago

I don't understand how all these tech companies can be fully aware of second-system syndrome and still fall victim to it time and time again.

1 decade ago

Good news for me.

1 decade ago

same story of DX10 Vista only...they use the damn DX to sell their damn crap OS.....no way, my windows 7 64 bit will stay on my pc for many years..

1 decade ago

D-D-D-D-D-DICKMOVE

1 decade ago

Anyone who didnt expect this i either unfamiliar with previous releases or had a lobotomy. Or are jut lying to themselves. Windows 8 is a good operating system, windows 7 is a good operating system. However, their focus is on building on Win8, not Win7. You don't expect a company to work on a product that's 4 years ago when they have a newer product that's one year old.

Move with the times.

You could always go to Linux or OSX, but I guess your experiences would be less than ideal.

1 decade ago

they do it on porpouse..this is the bad fact..got it?? it's not an incompatibility with win 7...it's only for shake the bad sell...(sry bad eng)

1 decade ago

But yes, they are doing it because they are a business. Businesses move forward and try to lower legacy costs.

Don't worry about the english, I understood!

1 decade ago

It's not that it wouldn't work on windows 7 its that it would cost money to make it work on windows 7 and Microsoft would rather encourage people to upgrade to windows 8 than spend extra money. It's not like games are going to drop windows 7 support anytime soon anyway, this is something that's only going to matter years from now.

1 decade ago

1 decade ago

also not one bit of regret from moving to Windows 8

10 fps boost on all games isn't anything negative IMO

and for compatibility issues, thankfully I know how to use W8's compatibility options (hint: they're in the same place as they were in windows 7)

imo metro > aero

1 decade ago

Not a big deal to me. By the time I can afford an upgrade on a computer more than likely Windows 9 or whatever the version after 8 is going to get called will be released. My current computer won't support anything above DX9 anyhow because the integrated graphics sucks and it cannot be upgraded.

1 decade ago

HD-DVD on the Box
DX11.2 on the Bone

1 decade ago

Someone's gonna find a way to hack it onto Windows 7(I hope)

1 decade ago

Step 1: Introduce Windows 8 - MetroUI and "Microsoft Store" and "Apps" to traditional desktops.

Step 2: Slowly have everything done on your Windows PC filtered through your Microsoft Account.

Step 3: Do everything you can to force users to upgrade.

Step 4: Charge subscription fee.

Enjoy.

1 decade ago

They made it win8 exclusive to try and "prove" that Win8 is a gaming OS (ha). They added it to XBone bc its OS is supposedly based off it win8 and to try and further this point.

Frankly I'll just stick to Win7. I prefer my PC OS being designed for PCs, not tablets, and I prefer my start menu to be an addition to my desktop, not the other way around.

Plus screw that square design and lack of true transparency.

1 decade ago

still not gona buy it (win 8 or xbone)

1 decade ago

Nothin' my Intel HD 3000 can't handle.

1 decade ago

ify bro

1 decade ago

Is there even any games that support 11.1 yet? Why the hell do they need 11.2 when no-one uses the previous build?

1 decade ago

This. Sure, new versions are awesome, but if they don't get used... There's hardly any games with DX11 and that's been out for years.

1 decade ago

They will because it will be the defacto standard in xbone game Development.

1 decade ago

DX 10 and 11 is exclusive to Windows 7 and not one of you disagreed with that. Why are you disagree with the same decision about this? I don't understand...

1 decade ago

DX10 was exclusive to Vista, and a /lot/ of people disagreed with that.

Mostly due to Vista being perceived as being a terrible OS, DX11 no-one minded because W7 was fairly universally liked. W8 and DX11.2 is more or less the Vista situation again.

1 decade ago

Oops... Never used Vista, because that was a c*rp. Nevermind. DX11 is exclusive, and now DX11.2 will exclusive again. I don't have any problem with that. We forgot XP and Vista and will forget Win7 too, so...

1 decade ago

only after they make an os that isn't a pain in the ass to use

1 decade ago

What's your problem with Windows 8? It's nowhere near a pain in the ass...

1 decade ago

if they can make all existing Dx11 GPU able to use system RAM as VRAM, then I going to be very excited on this news. GTX570 only have 1.25GB barely enough, while my system RAM is 16GB(10GB sitting idle doing nothing)

1 decade ago

My DX11 gpu does.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Onomatopesha.