Last few months I've been talking about less & less games giving away. Some people did not see the decline (or refuse to see the logic). Last time we had less than 50k of games given away was in Aug 2015.
So I'm a little sad about the things that are happening, so had given away in Apr more than before (20+ games in Apr, while I gave away 100 games from my start on SG). But only that won't change the numbers...

Truth is visible now, that we passed "the peak" of giveaways & that SG is in decline in the amount of games give away.

So I created this poll just to see the remarks from the public. Express freely how you see the recent decline in games given away.
Give some proposals, so that admins & moderators can implement those.
Refine some ideas between us, before implementing in "suggestions"...
etc.

Hope that we can all grow & all give away more.

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Does SG need to implement some "extra features" for givers to give away more?

View Results
Yes
No

I would think the changes are due to Steam's gift changes. That's a big enough change to account for the whole drop, don't you think?

5 years ago

I don't even consider Steam Store as an option for gifting anymore.

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

what is steam store :/?

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

5 years ago

That’s the best description I’ve heard so far

5 years ago

you are so right, since steam destroyed itself by all its new "security" steam has become the place to activate your games, but not buy them. heck they even ruined their big event sales by limiting the sales and no flash deals.

steam is slowly killing itself

5 years ago

Actually, since they've implemented the "no gifting" feature, I've noticed their discounts have become much heavier during sales. It's not uncommon to see games being sold on "historical low" prices now. This was not the case a before the change.

I think they did it to counter people buying games as gifts on "historical low" or "slash sale" prices, and then reselling them for profit.
Kind of like why HumbleBundle doesn't allow you to buy more than 2 copies of the same game, or have more than 1 monthly on the same Paypal.

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

+1

4 years ago

Lol, I agreed with it a year ago and still agree with it now XD

4 years ago

+1 came here to say this.

5 years ago

Yep, this is the correct answer.

5 years ago

A couple weeks with no (PC) Humble Bundle is probably another big factor, maybe even a bigger one than the Steam store -- there were 97k giveaways last month. I'm betting there's a sizable rebound when we finally/ever get a couple good Humble Bundles in a month.

5 years ago

seriously. it seems like most of the bundle sites that usually reliably have at least a few good game per bundle have just all gone to bad/cheap stuff. you youngins wouldn't understand, but back in may day bundles were mostly a few good games with a couple of unknown but decent ones thrown in for exposure. dagnabbit!

5 years ago

I mean most of the games i've seen in humble bundles aren't so bad. Most of the ones I don't play are cause they don't seem like my cup of tea or people complain about bugs and glitches and stuff

5 years ago

sadly

5 years ago

Nail. Head. Bam.

5 years ago

No, cg said over 90% of all GAs were keys before that, so nope, these gifts never played any significant role.
(Funny though how so many instantly agreed without any data)

Real answer is bundle availability and pricing.

5 years ago

Interesting. Good to kn0w.

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

There is indeed decline in giveaways number, i have only 3 pages of active giveaways on main page (including group giveaways) and don't have where to spent points even if i would enter all active giveaways. Valve did a lot recently to discourage people from gifting games, but unfortunately i don't have any suggestions on how to improve current situation

5 years ago

How many games did you hide?

5 years ago

Other than i don't own already, none.

5 years ago

Wow, you've got a lot of games!

5 years ago

There is indeed decline in giveaways number, i have only 3 pages of active giveaways

In fairness, before Humble Monthlies, I was basically always at just 2 pages, except right when a bundle with a lot of wishlisted games dropped. Since then, I've mostly steadily been at 3-4 outside of bundle drop periods. As such, I can't claim seeing a decline on my end, even after the Steam store changes.

Of course, still working off personal perspectives, I know the Steam store changes have dramatically reduced my own gifting inclinations. Between gifting restrictions and whitelist butchery, it's deeply unfriendly to use now. More broadly, I've also noticed less big gifting events on the forums.

Putting aside personal perspectives, this isn't the first time the OP has doomsayed (as the first line of their post indicates), and it's similarly not the first time their conjectures have been found to be unsupportable (ie, see Golwar's post below). Trends have been within standard fluctuations, with any dips being small enough to be fully creditable to Steam gifting changes and a decline in non-Humble-Monthly bundling frequency across the various bundle sites.

In short, we can assume off our experiences there have been some changes to the community and to how we approach gifting (and some changes to the resources we have available for such), but we've nothing in the numbers to assume any more fundamental changes (such as a general decline in site participation).

5 years ago*

Its still a big amount. I'm not worried

5 years ago

I'll always take quality over quantity. I'd rather there be a few great games given away than a hundred terrible ones.

5 years ago

Wise enough. My 600+ wish-list on STEAM is down to 10 games given away here.
Less given away, means also less given away of quality. ;)

5 years ago

Less given away, means also less given away of quality. ;)

So you're saying that instead of buying every bundle, if I give away games only from the monhtly then my fewer giveaway will also mean worse giveaways, despite of coming from a better bundle? Your reality is weird man.

5 years ago

No, I'm saying that quality games on STEAM (or in bundles) are (let's say) 3%.
So people are giving away all the games from STEAM.

3% from 50k & 100k is difference between 1.500 games & 3.000 games. ;)

5 years ago

Less giveaways in total usually mean less good and less bad giveaways. Makes sense to me.

5 years ago

Fewer. And as weeks and bundles change, the ratio can change as well. Groupees, gogobundle, majority of indiegala - if these would go out of business, the giveaway number would drastically drop while improve at the same time. One can't look at the game selection as something as not function of time.

5 years ago

IndieGala is it's own little (italian strange way) or giving away only over e-mail. So what you have is many guys & girls don't check their e-mail & respond you didn't sent them the key. It's a stupid system that only IndieGala enforces for give-away & I stopped buying bundles there! As I don't want "bad rep" here on SG or repeat giveaways. ;)

5 years ago

Just use keys. Fanatical e.g. doesn't provide any gifting method, but there are many giveaways for games form their bundles.

5 years ago

I think they have "policy" against it, similar to Humble Bundle. :(

5 years ago

Regarding gifting, trading and re-selling? Might be, but nobody cares.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Don't hare about "blacklist"...I already got +1 today.
Opinions differ & if someone blacklists me for that - their loss from one that gives away plenty.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Looked at my WL/BL ratio. I must have pissed off so many people around jan-mars 2016 since that is the major part of people BL'ing me :P

5 years ago

LOL... you readed it in my last suggestion :-D ( 100% the stuff i heared... -_- )

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

5 years ago

I would like that SG grow. No, I would LOVE that SG grow!
So let's make a change...let's give some feedback to the owners...

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

And most comments on the site are likely bumps anyway.

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

Genuinely curios:

I thought you (op) surely won't be talking about the decline of SG

Why? I feel like missing some context here

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

ah got it thanks ^^ was just wondering about the specific op referencing

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

But March had nearly 100k and was the 6th highest month ever. A one-month dip is hardly enough to say the site is on the decline.

5 years ago

Was just about to mention that. Id give the lackluster bundles this month credit for the dip over the site beginning to decline

5 years ago

Oh, now I see that you already said the same as I did later. Well done! ;)

5 years ago

Everyone has the right to extrapolate from a single point data (lol), or nitpick from the whole data to tailor it to their agenda ::P

5 years ago

March has a "St.Patrick's bundles" & "Easter bundles".
Now we're back to Apr...which is a normal.

FUTURE:
May will be like Apr. June will have "summer discounts", so will be another spike.

But don't look at the spikes, look at the averages for quarters.

5 years ago

Averages for quarters
1Q 2017 - 103199
2Q 2017 - 80217
3Q 2017 - 105502
4Q 2017 - 74179
1Q 2018 - 84484

That doesn't show definite trends either.

5 years ago

I used a moving average over 5 months, I still don't see any drama happening.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Averages are back to 75-80k, as they were in Q2 2016.
They were 90-100k throughout the 2017.

Did you just try to prove my point with Excel or?

5 years ago

They were 90-100k throughout the 2017.

Sure, if you ignore mid 2017 were they were on a pretty similar level to now. All you have is that there are ups and downs. And that how Steam handled gifts didn't help. Unless you can make Steam change their mind, what do you want to do?

5 years ago

There was a sharper decline at the end of 2017 when Valve pretty much nerfed gifting through the Steam store. Since then, the average has been pretty stable.

5 years ago

sharper decline at the end of 2017 when Valve pretty much nerfed gifting through the Steam store

naw, the changes were in may and afterwards in september a record gib count happened. Why? A certain special bundle (two actually).
cg confirmed that less than 10% of all gibs were gifts. They never were relevant for the masses.

5 years ago

March had 100k cause viva bundle
https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/PjTul/fanatical-dollar-viva-bundle
5$=145 keys=300$ cv

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

I think the problem is supply & demand. Every PC gamer 10+ years ago wanted more games on Steam(or at least more ways to get PC games). Well now there are well over 20,000 games on Steam, a handful of other platforms to buy games, even legit key sellers supported by game developers, games have never been this cheap or as easy to get, which probably equates to less and less people feeling the need to give away games on steamgifts.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

No, I think that because games have become so cheap, and because so many actually good games eventually become free, there will naturally be less of a demand for them, not only on steam, but on steamgifts itself.

The appeal to steamgifts(for me at least) was that I could win a game. Then I was told the more you give, the more you receive. Well after a couple of years and a few thousand games later, giving or receiving games doesn't feel special anymore. Maybe that's just me, but the "steamgifts is cool" effect wore off on me awhile ago, and it certainly didn't help when my friend was perma banned for doing the exact same thing a lot of people are doing today, advertising key stores/bots.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

This, thank you

I remember this guy from last year. He was going all about how there are even less GA...
Then GA inclined.. And for some reason this month its lower.. So hes back...
Just wait, maybe summer months will be better.

I would suggest OP to stop trowing around such "theories" until there have been at least half a year with steady decline of GA.. Other then that you are just getting butthurt over the nature of human beings.

5 years ago

70+% of users says that SG should change in order to reward giver to give more. Need I say more?

5 years ago

Uhm, do you refer to your own poll above by this? You should re-read the answers and their percentages then.

5 years ago

I'm glad it wasn't just me who did a double take on that selective amnesia with regards to their own poll results - as I see deffo see the opposite there :P

5 years ago

Some "facts" are just too unbelievable to not verify. :D

5 years ago

Uh, I think you have that backwards.

5 years ago

Right now, 70% say NO. The exact opposite of your theory. Yes you need say more if you want to reasonably explain your theory to other people.

5 years ago

It's up to the individual giveaway creators how many giveaways he or her wants to make and also how they are setup. And of course there are the radical changes made by Valve concerning the Steam gifts to inventory feature and changes on SG. And there are fluctuations in the amount of users active on SG, some leave SG, some make their first SG giveaways while some just take a break from SG. ^^

5 years ago

So... you're saying that there are less bad dev-wannabes who are selling some stitched together monstrosity on Steam with the intend of profiting from card sales and who are giving away thousands of keys for said monstrosity all over the Internet which people stockpile and then "gift" on SG?
I mean, I don't know if that's the case and highly doubt it but overall that's a good thing. :P

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Personally I'm making less GAs because I'm in a phase where I'm a bit detached from gaming and I'm barely buying anything apart from my usual Humble Monthly.

Generally speaking, as others have pointed out the Steam gifting policy changes made much more difficult giving away more expensive, unbundled games.
Also it appears that many people in Russia are having trouble accessing the site, and that's a big part of SG's userbase (2nd largest nationality iirc). This may at least in part explain the current numerical decline.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Do you think things would change with 'extra features'? Maybe you could say what you think could help the community and we could talk about that, instead of trying to make us say what you want to say.

5 years ago

80% of the winners don't play the games...
Blame them. I don't want to spend money for GAs if they just land in some backlog and get never played.

Also a lot of our users already own a lot of games so they don't buy a lot of new bundles to give the rest away.

5 years ago

I would suggest adding feature where people who do a giveaway could advertise themselfs, for exemple small youtubers, streamers,bloggers or someone like that.

5 years ago

They already do that in the description of public giveaways, I think it happened even in SG1

5 years ago

No, you can't have that. Read the rules! ;)

5 years ago

You're allowed to promote your website, blog, game, YT channel in the description section of your giveaways, as long as you do not use the methods prohibited by our terms of service (referral links, for example) and do not ask users to perform actions beneficial for you in order for their entry to be considered valid - you're not allowed to ask for subscriptions, likes, upvotes or donations.

You're not allowed to advertise in the forums

5 years ago

Promote is not advertising...it's the same thing, man! Like differentiating a green from red apple...it's still an apple! ;)

5 years ago

Promotion and advertising are not the same, yes.

5 years ago

You still need money for the games...& almost nobody reads that text.
So, what's the problem?

BTW; mods here have banned me to:

• invite people to participate in "donating their computer power" to WCG ( tinyurl.com/WCGinvite ), where no money is exchanged.

So tell me please, how is inviting people to donate their computer power an advertising & not a promotion?

5 years ago*

You're just emberrassing yourself more and more.

5 years ago

Firstly, I'd say that assuming gifting continues at the same rate, we'll have more than 50,000 GAs this month (possibly over 55,000).

Secondly, I don't think that SG should be evaluated purely on the number of games given. A larger number of garbage gifts doesn't make this site a better place, IMO. It looks like in months with fewer giveaways a larger percentage of them is of full value games, so it looks like the drop is in the number of bundled games. That could be due to less appealing bundles or fewer bundles.

5 years ago

And March was almost 100k, a ridiculously high amount for a non-sale period.
This month was not strong for bundles (no one-dollar pack from Fanatical) and/or it is just the same up/down trend you can see in the past two years.
When the three-month rolling average shows a decline for three consecutive months, you can start crying with a good and solid reason.

5 years ago*

What this guy said. One month is too soon to be playing 'taps' and waiting for the ship to sink.

5 years ago

non-sale period

except sales play only a minor role, it's all about bundles

5 years ago

When the three-month rolling average shows a decline for three consecutive months, you can start crying with a good and solid reason.

Well, second month in a row, so we are one month away from actually taking this thread seriously. 0_0

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

I propose a law to double them! make it so!

5 years ago

Blame IGN! (That consolebundle brah)

5 years ago

Get a console...I'm still getting HB to "give it away to my nephews on PS4"! ;)

5 years ago

Wasnt it US only

5 years ago

You can create other regional PSN accounts easily. Should be explained more detailed in the HB thread.

5 years ago

Nah, just blame Humble. They've put out console bundles and such before the IGN merger too.

5 years ago

Sssst... you're ruining the narrative!

5 years ago

Happy cake day.

I have no problem with console bundles in general. (But I only have an Xbox 360 and Wii U, so this particular one isn't relevant.)

5 years ago

Thanks.
PC Master race here. And European.
So twice the nope.

5 years ago

Happy Cake Day!

5 years ago

Thank you!

5 years ago

Yes there's a clear decline

5 years ago

i for one hope for decline, im burned out on The GA aspect.
if a lot of you stop visiting as much, perhaps a smaller active group, could reignite that feeling of belonging to a unique community, like back in the old days.
past 2 years were rather vanilla

5 years ago

I believe SG rule changes have also created a decline in giveaways. When the points to enter would generate by the amount of giveaways people would by bundles to keep the points ran up. Once that was taken away people started winning less because they ran out of points.They quit giving as much because they felt no need. I have always given because I like to give but some users are "in it to win it" so to speak.

5 years ago*

When the points to enter would generate by the amount of giveaways people would by bundles to keep the points ran up.

Afair you couldn't push your points by creating GAs, since own GAs didn't count.

5 years ago

correct

5 years ago

people would by bundles to keep the points ran up

I highly doubt anybody ever did for that reason.

Dynamic points giving a different kind of feel in general however is true.

5 years ago

Is it the part where I blame it all on IGN and HB going to sh!t?
Seriously though. April has been a bit of a "dry" month. Bundles have dried up (unless you count all the crap bundles from the usual places), no big sales from anyone. People have ran out of keys to give away. Still, there are 50K GAs, decline or not, I find comfort in the thought people are still keeping SG going through the dry month ;)

5 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by MSKOTOR.