The gist of it is this: I bought gifts on Steam, got the -x coupon and used it to buy stuff. The total I had to pay came to exactly 1€ with 45% being paid in Steam wallet and rest with my card. Simple transaction.

20 minutes ago I got an email that my purchase is refunded and my money's been put to the Steam wallet. My account's not hacked, by the way. I checked, the purchases randomly "failed".

First problem's minor. They wired all the money to my Steam wallet, even though that's not what I used in its entirety.
The second problem's bigger. I don't have my coupon anymore and while they're returned the 1€ diligently to the wrong place, they haven't given me the coupon back.

I've literally never had a failed purchase in my life. I didn't initiate anything either. Sales have never caused glitches for me. The only difference is that I used the coupon.

Maybe this truly is a one in a hundred thousand type of issue and a total coincidence. But in case it isn't, I'd refrain from using your coupons as of yet.

EDIT: Steam sent a reply to the question about why I didn't get the tokens back (not a reply for why I was refunded in the first place)

Hi there,
This is a system error on our end (display error). This error will be fixed soon and i'll soon display the correct deduction of token for your refund.

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Have you had this issue?

View Results
Yes.
No.

Sad for you 😪
Thank you for the warning
Bump

4 years ago

This is only the third or fourth event with such a coupon right? The chances are slim for it happening to someone. Hopefully support sorts it out for you, it seems pretty simple to just give you the game you purchased and deduct the correct amount from wallet but I don't have any experience with Steam support so I wouldn't trust me.

4 years ago

Yeah, I hope they figure it out since while obviously it's nothing crazy expensive, it's still like the only thing I could afford myself, so it sucks to lose it.

Though, looking at the 7% mark at the poll, it's a pretty big error rate so far. :/

4 years ago

Same thing happened to me. My debit funds were put into my wallet but I also used wallet funds for the purchase that haven't been refunded. Hopefully those come back soon. Guess I"ll wait 5 days to get enough tokens to buy the coupon again.

4 years ago

You can only get the coupon once.

4 years ago

It shows that I can rebuy it

4 years ago

Yeah, all my "real money" was put into my wallet, which isn't great, but it is what it is. However, the tokens weren't refunded. The weird part is that I have an extra 2500 tokens (which is half the coupon cost) which is completely randomly here right now. Maybe they refunded the wrong amount? But at the same time, this has to be automated, so it's not like a bot can make such a massive mistake. Weird.

4 years ago

Do you switch your region at all on Steam?

4 years ago

Nope. Thanks for the guess though. I don't use VPNs, I haven't left even my city. Kind of just a crapshoot :/

4 years ago

I didn't mean with a VPN but by changing you country on the Steam store.

4 years ago

Haven't done that either. Just in case thought I'd mention the VPN too :D

4 years ago

I used my coupon, wasnt happy with the purchase so asked for refund. Once refund was approved I got back my festive tokens and was able to redeem them again for a coupon.

4 years ago

All my "real money" was put into my wallet, which isn't great, but it is what it is. However, the tokens weren't refunded. The weird part is that I have an extra 2500 tokens (which is half the coupon cost) which is completely randomly here right now. Maybe they refunded the wrong amount? But at the same time, this has to be automated, so it's not like a bot can make such a massive mistake.

Maybe they'll refund those tokens later, but it's been around 8 hours and they haven't come back yet the random 2500 or so tokens has.

4 years ago

What does your token history say? Token History

4 years ago

That I've never redeemed any tokens.

Just added an edit too to the token question and Steam's response.

4 years ago

did you try contacting support through the refund system but use the i had a problem with a order part. see if you can complete the order or give back the coupon.

was the item for yourself or did you gift it to someone?

4 years ago

I used the "I need help completing this purchase" option since I still want to get the items, but also because I had a feeling that they'd respond to that way more quickly since that has a potential revenue source still if the case gets completed.

4 years ago

I've had purchases fail, mostly due to my bank having a rather paranoid anti-fraud protection (funny how they get paranoid about Steam and Amazon, but their system fails to spot large-scale money laundering...(no need to tell me that those are completely different things, I know, just a bit frustrated with my bank and venting about it :P )), but it's generally on checkout.

4 years ago

Totally agreed, but Steam isn't odd for my bank as far as I'm aware. On this specific bank account, I almost exclusively use it for online stores, so it should be fine. But perhaps this 54 cents or whatever it was was the straw that broke the camel's back lol :D

4 years ago

Can I buy this coupon just 1 time?

4 years ago

yes, just a one time coupon, you can't buy multiples.

4 years ago

Okay thanks :)

4 years ago

It happened to me twice that the purchase was cancelled and blocked (because it said that one was still in progress). But every time it happened I tried to pay with that split option, because my Steam wallet didn't have enough money in it, so the majority was paid using the Steam wallet, and the rest with my Paypal. Somehow I think that must be the problem, because I've never had this with just Paypal or just Steam wallet.

4 years ago

That's right. Split payments have higher chances of failure. Looks like it's less risky if you add your required funds first to your wallet.
My purchase with coupon and wallet money was accepted without issues.

4 years ago

I'm glad I didn't use a coupon when that happened, though I've done this for some years now and there was no problem at all until the last half year when it occured twice. Maybe I have just been lucky all the time? ^^

4 years ago

Closed 1 year ago by zeruel132.