Hello lovely people.
I have a question to more specialized people around. I have Asus ROG Strix GL702VS gaming laptop. And, unfortunately, I have problem with it - it is overheating a lot. I mean I am aware this serie had problems with cooling, but it is driving me crazy right now, because temperature is not the only problem.
In normal conditions the temperature is about 45 Celsius for CPU and 40 Celsius for GPU.
BUT when playing even little games like The Room Three, House of Da Vinci, The Crew/The Crew 2, Watch Dogs and so on I have a problem, because the temperature jumps up to 80-85 Celsius. Yup, 85 Celsius during House of da Vinci gameplay. I mean, there I have 2,80GHz i7-7700, GTX 1070 8 GB VRAM and 16GB of RAM and this game needs just 2,0 GHz, 2 GB RAM and 1 GB VRAM.
And now I'm hitting the real trouble. When it is heating on the screen starts showing some horizontal stripes and there is no sync to that, it is just flashing, what makes game blurry and unplayable. It is displayed the best on grey color. By the way, there is video of it below.
What do you think is a problem? With a screen/matrix or GPU?

Obligatory Givaway: https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/ugjNN/men-of-war-assault-squad-2-gold-edition

laptop specs:
Intel i7-7700 2,80GHz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB

The show:
https://youtu.be/Ru3M_cYh_RU

Forgot to add: these stripes begin their show at 75 degree Celsius.

3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

That is either a refresh rate issue with the variable framerate or the GPU having a hardware defect.

Eighty-five degrees on a "gaming" laptop is surprisingly low when you are playing, simple business-grade laptops with integrated graphics usually sit around 90. It is the staple of the Intel CPUs being small furnaces and the Nvidia GPUs also doing a lot of heat, while only having one to three miniature fans to dissipate it through heat pipes. This is also why these things are not truly mobile while gaming and go through the batter in 30-120 minutes, as they draw a lot of power, which means a lot of heat.
You can try to get a laptop cooling pad.

Assuming the GPU won't die on you, naturally.

3 years ago

I work only on cooling pad, these stripes begin their show at 75 degree Celsius (forgot to add that. 75 Celsius is not THAT much, I guess). and I guess there is some kind of fault on fans as well. I had this laptop in service ones, because the same reason and because SSD had problems with boosting Windows - it was turning BIOS on.

3 years ago

In that case, I would still guess a faulty GPU. Sadly, it can happen on any model, even ultra high-end ones. This is the lower end of the silicon lottery, although, with laptops, it usually means a complete replacement.

3 years ago

strange thing is that when connected to HDMI the stripes won't show up nor on TV nor on laptop screen. At least when I tested it with benchmarks and tried in games: it is like connected HDMI solves the problem. I have no idea what to think. I am worrying because that laptop wasn't cheap and I wanted to have great machine to work and to gaming as well. I wonder if that might be the case of some connections between GPU and the rest of machinery, or between screen and something. But I'm not an expert

3 years ago

If the HDMI output is okay, then it is the monitor cable of the laptop.

3 years ago

Yeah those temperatures aren't really abnormal. Can't you push it with a game that's really demanding?

It's a new laptop?

Maybe in geforce settings set it to performance/mix instead focus of graphics and offcourse install the latest drivers, also anything from the laptop, maybe bios.

3 years ago*

this laptop is almost 2 years old and wasn't overused. I tried everything, system reinstalling, all the drivers etc.

3 years ago

I really suggest posting there, more people with experience might have answers or contact ASUS themselves if it's still under warranty and maybe need a replacement.

3 years ago

It's a laptop... does it still have a warranty? Otherwise I reckon the obvious issue is the fans/grills are clogged or you need some nice new thermal paste.

3 years ago

Yes, I still have two months of warranty, in few days I will be calling for the service to take it.

3 years ago

Nvidia forums are full of different gsync flickering problems so it's a good idea to check if it's your case.
Either try disabling G-Sync in nvidia control panel at all or try setting maximum ingame refresh rate with g-sync (if it's lower than 144hz) or minimum rate instead. And don't forget to install latest nvidia gpu drivers.
I wonder if PSU may be failing.
You can also try downclocking gpu core/mem or power limit in msi afterburner/asus gpu tweak just to see it this affects anything.

3 years ago*

I have tried turning off G-Sync, it isn't that. No difference.
During this weekend I will be pushing this laptop to limits with 60 Hz refreshing (normally I had 120 Hz).
Drivers are the newest ones.

3 years ago

psu on laptop xD? OKAY

3 years ago

Yep. The power brick = psu. No matter how you call it.

3 years ago

psu is on stationary, its battery on laptop. psu=power source unit

3 years ago

Please. I don't care how you call it.

3 years ago*

'In portable computers (such as laptops) there is usually an external power supply'

PSU is internal. Battery is not PSU, cause battery dont convert higher voltage to 12v, it hax 12V at start.
External power supply is not PSU as its not internal.

ye, black is white and white is white...

3 years ago

I think ur from Poland right? Me too

I saw higher temps on PC after temp goes from 17 to more than 27 outside. It goes up to around 5C on all components

Maybe more dust in vents? U know now is the time for plants/trees to throw their dust(or how is it called) and i got this everywhere on my closed windows/balcony(everythings yellow!)

About screen:ARTEFACTS. I think its time to go for warantanny, cause overheating is caused by gpu malfunction, and gpu malfunction means u got artefacts.

3 years ago

Yup, I'm from Poland. The thing about these artefacts is that it happened in the past, the service guy where I bought the laptop told me it is because of the dust in cooling system, they changed SSD (malfunctioned) and sent it back, I had half of a year of peace and then bang, it is happening again.
Even if the laptop is a bit overheated, like the CPU temperature is up to 85-88 Celsius I do not think it should affect screen in this way.

3 years ago

high temp=overheating=artifacts.
thats what u see on screen is artifact :)

Oddaj na rękojmię i miej z głowy, chyba, że ponad rok już...

3 years ago

unfortunately - it's almost 2 years now

3 years ago

Oddaj do serwisu jakiegoś ale normalnego i niech wyczyszczą/przedmuchają/wymienią pastę pod gpu/cpu.

3 years ago

1) i7-7700 is a couple of years old, you should open it, clean the dust and replace the thermal paste.
2) don't let the frame rate go unchecked. Cap it and the temps will go down because cpu usage will also go down
3) 80's temp on a gaming laptop are normal
4) use hwinfo64 and check the temperatures
5)i didn't understood the last part about, video is not clear

3 years ago

OC? You don't?
It should be reset to the default value.

Intuition?
VRAM may be down.
(Possibility of failure)
Countermeasure: Cool it anyway.

Solution: Make sure the driver is up to date.
(In rare cases, the same phenomenon occurs even if the driver has a problem.)
It is recommended to devise it so that the temperature does not get hot.

Put two or four plastic bottle caps under your laptop.💻

View attached image.
3 years ago

change the thermal paste and clear the dust from the fans and any other places

i have a ROG laptop, it used to overheat, but i disassembled it down piece by piece until i removed the motherboard and took the heatsink off the cpu and gpu, i removed the old thermal paste (that was cement and not paste anymore), applied a new one and put it back together after cleaning the dust
temps dropped by 10-15 °C

3 years ago

Closed 2 years ago by Rootwater.