Back in 1980

• Wasn't born yet.

Back in 1990...

• I was starting primary school at ~7, saw PC only in a bubble gum package sticker, played Tetris once on a company mainframe where my mom worked.
  • Will be a few years until I get my very own (used and partially broken but still working somehow) Atari2600.

Back in 2000...

• Had my old PIICeleron 333 Mhz, 64MB RAM, 5.1GB HDD, 3DfxVodooBanshee 16MB (later upgraded to GF4 and 256 ram, but that's later)
  • Still rented/bought computer games at a local "CD club" which took 20-30 min to burn a disc (didn't even know what a pirate is)
  • Put my NES in the closet a year later for preservation. Still have it, works.
  • Was under 18 and in secondary school

Back in 2010...

• Had C2DE4400, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, GF9600 (which I upgraded to 16GB/GTX560, then sold to replace with this i5 system)
  • Discovered Steam a year prior, had like ~50 games there, played almost all of them, decided to buy all my favorite games (again)
  • Finished University a year prior and was trying to find "a real job" while working as a game journalist from home

and now...

• Still have my 2011/13 computer, i5, 16GB RAM, GTX950 with some components from that old C2D rig
  • Have 2000+ games on steam, didn't play a lot of them. Also have Epic, Origin, Uplay, Xboxapp, Battlethingy, ... Some clients died along the way, like Desura, Glyph, ImpulseDriven, ...
  • Released a tiny game and working slowly on a sequel. It's a fun thing to do.
  • Working at the same place for 8 years now. Got my own apartment with my gf, have to pay it off for the next decade or so.

Next 10 years?

• Hoping to have a kid of my own and make them finish several NES games before they graduate to Genesis and then N64 and so on. First PC game they'll play is gonna be Thief so they can be amazed at transparent water, different surface behavior and stuff like I was in 1999.

What about you?

View attached image.
View attached image.
4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

4 years ago

oh yeah, definitely. we used to pay SNES cassettes like 100 or even way more, like 200$/€ (well we didn't have the euro but that's the price =P), and I still remember having paid my first PC the sum of 999,999£ (Italian lira) which is something crazy to think right now.. the price of a used car for sure =P and it worked for years and years. Oh well, Street Fighter 2 came out for 200,000£ which were like.. 100$ of 30 years ago, adjusted with inflation I don't even want to know what we used to pay xD

4 years ago

What's a SNES cassette? Do you mean a cartridge? Or do you mean video tapes of let's plays? :D

4 years ago

I mean a cartridge, but my English sucks (well I've never studied it and overall I hate Germanic languages, although we're all forced to know a little bit of them ç_ç) and this comes from a mistake I keep on making in my native tongue too - basically, "cartridge" translates literally as "cartuccia" in Italian and that should be the correct word to use in both languages, but for some reasons that I don't even know I have always called them "cassette" (which in Italian it's the feminine plural of "cassetta", which translates to "cassette" in English of course). So yeah I mean "cartridges" but I make mistakes both in Italian and in English =P
"Cartridge" is an English corruption of the French "cartouche", which comes directly from the Italian "cartuccia" and it's derived from "carta" ("paper"), ultimately from "charta" (Latin) and "khartes" (Greek). I've never used such words in both languages xD

4 years ago

Oh, okay. I just feel I've heard of let's plays of games on cassettes before, but I'm not sure :D I guess it were ps1 ans ps2 games. Many more people had VCRs than playstations, so the ones who didn't could at least watch the games. But... I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just making it up :)

And thanks for the trivia :) The other day I've learned that journal comes from French jour (day) as in bonjour. Makes sense :)

4 years ago

thanks a lot for sharing, it's awesome that you recall all these memories so greatly! =)
I was born in the '80s, I remember my very first approach with the Commodore64 that came from a friend of one of my elementary school mates, he like gifted the C64 to my friend with TONS of those square-shaped disks =P we used to play it a lot, then we had the NES and most of all the SNES - the Gameboy was a huge thing here, but SNES has formed my teen ages and my childhood.. arcade games and handheld games in the '90s were more of a fun and entertainment thing, while with SNES games we used to import them from the States, play them tons of times, like, every Mortal Kombat once a day per years and so on.. =P
then came the PC era, I don't even remember my first pcs but I switched from win95 to win98 early and I played a lot of Ultima Online here in Italian shards, it's been so amazing! It was in the years like 1999-2001 I think.. no one had modern modems and internet connections, we all had the 56k and it used to take hours to connect =P
then I went to secondary school (here in Italy is 5 years + 3 + 5, which is crazy since we're forced to stay there until 18-19 years old, a reform that dates back to Mussolini times) and at 15-16 years old I had my first girlfriend and I stopped playing games for many years,, well, discovered Steam when I was at the university and I stuck with computer games, even if playstation 1 and 2 had been hugely important in my life in the '00s =P

4 years ago

Here, period 1995-2000, Sega MegaDrive2/Genesis was the hit, there were "playrooms" where you could go and play 10 minutes for 1 usd cent, or half an hour for 3 cents... They literally had TV's and home consoles on tables and that was it. Later SNES got promoted heavily on TV, then N64 and SonyPS1, but for us simple folks, Chinese copies of NES that you could buy at any market were what people had at home, played Super Mario, Tank 1990, Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales, Goal 3, Blades of Steel, ... you know, "NES games".

Around 1998 more and more people had a PC, like, 3 in my class of 30 in highschool. When I got P2 (2nd half of 1999) I was the 5th person and the only one with P2 for like 2 months, everyone else had P1 or 486. And yeah, we also used 28k then 56k modems. I remember trying to download 3Mb DAP (Download accelerator plus) that will enable me to resume broken downloads... and download diconnecting at least 3 times before I'd manage to get that one app.

4 years ago

Happy Cakeday! :D

4 years ago

Funny thing, i have same questions as you at the moment about Next 10 years... :)

4 years ago

Hmm... I remember my dad having so many different computers growing up, it wasn't even funny. Off the top of my head, we had Commodore VIC-20/64/64c/128, Amiga, Apple II/IIc/IIe, Macintosh, TRaSh-80, and the Atari 800 I think it was. There was probably more, but my favorite PC was an old IBM portable 8088 XT with a green (not amber) monitor and two floppy drives that I used a lot for script writing until close to the mid-90's when it finally gave up the ghost.

Computer technology is fascinating in light of how far we've progressed, that I hope mankind never completely loses its wisdom to use it without destroying ourselves. A couple things that interest me about the coming decade is whether or not the power consumption problem will be resolved with quantum computing, and will crystals finally become viable for data storage and made available for public use at a reasonable price. Here are a couple of older articles to give you a basic idea about what I mean:

4 years ago

Back in 1980
Was born in 1985... not many things to remember tbh.
Germany became one but for me as a 5year old boy this was a day like any other day

Back in 1990...
I played on my gameboy Tetris, Zelda and Mario. I got an old C64 from my cousin with some cool (and some strange) games.
Got a 486 later and played a lot a game called "Bundesliga Manager Hattrick". From my pocket money I bought a magazine called "Bestseller games".
In 1999, as a small 13 year old boy I went to the loveparade in Berlin and fall in love with the music.

Back in 2000...
I followed my love for ravemusic. I became a DJ and bought a lot of records... I worked at a record store, had some smaller gigs, smoked waaaaaaaaaay to much weed and lost some time and good friends.
Later I switched places and worked at the red cross as a driver for kids with with special needs.
I got my shit together and changed places again to catch up my highschool. Worked my Ass of to get some money and start a real life.
Visited more than 600 Concerts and 20 festivals and uncountable partys in these 10 years.
Did not play any game in this 10 years but was active in some music forums and had tons of mp3... Also I had my own homepage and learned some coding, html, php and stuff by myself. Also had a job in early 2000s where I had to create ugly homepages for people with to much money...

Back in 2010...
Started to study, finished it and became a teacher.
Went to France, Spain, Italy, UK, Greece, Bulgaria, Iceland, Netherlands, Belgium, Turkey and USA.
Visited more concerts and less partys. Worked a lot and had some ups and downs.
Created a Steam-Account in 2013. Finished ~150 Games since then.

Today
My favourite game is still "Day of the Tentacle", a game I got from this old magazine... I play a lot of games and work a lot (yes, teachers work).

Next 10 years?
I'm sure I'll keep with the job but maybe change places... Would love to have more space for me, would love to see more places...
And well... Kids might be a thing... But life is complicated so... who knows ;)

4 years ago

Wait, you're a teacher too? We should do some activity together online with the students to broaden their horizons.

4 years ago

Interesting topic. Sadly, I am way too lazy as to write things about myself regarding my own timeline. I'd love to be able to leave a voice message lol.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

I would tell you why that comment is legit but I'm lazy.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

start with Apple II, 1 color monitor with green color display. No harddisk, have to boot with Floppy disk 5.25" size with 1.2 MB space.

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

1983: Dad bought a used Apple II+ from a guy upgrading to an Apple IIe
Had two 5.25" floppy drives and a ton of games in a Floppy Binder. I wasnt allowed to play any of the games more than an hour a day until I taught myself Apple Integer Basic. I was programming within a month and even moved on to Pascal.
Addicted to Castle Wolfenstein I, II, Wizardry I, II, Dino Eggs, Apple Panic, Karateka, Ultima I, II, III, Bards Tale I,II,II, Wasteland, Conan, Might and Magic and a couple other games I cant recall their names. Especially the one with a taunting witch doctor.

Blur from there as I was always playing games. Next big landmarks was 1995, a client showed me Subspace Beta on Win95 on a 56k modem. That was the first time I signed up for the brand new "World Wide Web" for a monthly fee of $20 to AOL. I see Subspace is still alive 25 years later now on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/352700/Subspace_Continuum/

4 years ago

198x - I remember the first game I played was pacman, when I was two. I was visiting my father at work, and someone pulled up what was probably a pacman clone on the company computer to keep me entertained.

Late '80s I played games on a mac. We had one for work. My favorite games were Wizardry, Xyphus, and Dark Castle. I also played Sun Tzu's Ancient Art of War, which is basically a pre-historic Total War. My sister played Snake and occasionally Load Runner. Whenever I visited someone who had a NES, I loved Super Mario Bros.
Edit: also want to shout out to Enchanted Scepters and Deja Vu as being awesome games for the time.

199x- along came sonic the hedgehog. He zipped right past mario to become everyone's favorite. I still didn't have a console, but Pool of Radiance was a gigantic leap forward. I'd visit my friend with the genesis every chance I got, and played Sonic and Pirates! His favorite game was Centurion.
My brother and I saved up and bought a Game Boy with our own money.

Mid nineties Dune 2 gave way to Command & Conquer while Wolfenstein gave way to Doom and then Quake. My sister played a lot of Diablo and Heroes of Might & Magic. My brother played Carmageddon. I went through a period of not really playing games all that much

200x - I'm in college. Somehow, I ended up with an N64, a playstation, and a dreamcast (yay pawnshop). For me, the standout solo game was Sonic Adventure. We played a lot of Tekken 3, FIFA, and SoulCalibur.

2007 - got married, got a Wii. I sleep less than anyone I know, so mostly played late at night, when the better half was asleep. Mario Galaxy, RE4, Wii Fit, and Metroid Prime Trilogy were my favorites. Also Guitar Hero and Rock Band Beatles.

2010's - I rediscovered PC gaming (thanks Steam). Caught up on all the games I missed in the last 10-15 years. My son started playing skylanders. Most expensive game of all time.

Today - My son recently discovered Mario, and is playing it a lot. He's been asking me about lots of classic games; he generally likes to start with the oldest game in a series and work his way to the modern age. Now he's trying out Metroid. He also finished Cuphead, and is discovering games on his own.
My daughter's favorite retro game is q*bert, but the game she enjoys most is Mortal Kombat. She's only seven, and asks me to perform the finishing moves because she can't do them yet. But she loves the fatalities.

4 years ago*

men, you make me feels so old.
born in the 80's
my first computer was at hightscohol, an 233mhz pentium
next one was a 600mhz pentium
next one was a 1.5ghz and I buy a 9500gt from Nvidia
next one was a dual core, same graphics card (I keep the card)
next one was a fx6300 with a r7 250 and 8gb ram
now I have a ryzen 2600 with a rtx 2060 turbo and 16gb ram

i still remember the modem ring to conect the dial up first internet, meet the internet World as an student in university.

same as my phones, i still remember the first one, one LG p350
next one I have 3 motorolas, moto G, moto G2 first class, and now I have a moto g5s plus (not so many phones for the most people, I just use them as a phone not for gaming, the only one I even installed games was the first motoG)

as a child I have a nes (family com) for years… next to that comes the SEGA génesis 16bits, then at university I buy a Ps2 (to kill Time, like with 150 games).
the only 3 consoles that I have
play a lot at emus, from ps1, N64 and Wii.

meet steam at december of 2013... back to that time I play pirated games time to time, i didnt have spare Time to play

now with the VR universe and the continued grow of the tecnology I dont know how games Will be in the future, but back then in my childhood, if you travel in time and show me the games in 3d era, for sure i told "we are going un the right direction"

always love gaming, travel to others fantasy universes Is just great. gaming changes a lot since then, I personally dont play most multiplayer games, just sp.

sorry for my basic english

4 years ago

70s - Got my first taste of programming on the Ti 59, and was hooked. Experienced a little TRS-80 and other stuff. Played Home Pong with my nephews.

80s - Got a Sinclair ZX80 (loved the colour scheme). Didn't work and was replaced by a ZX81. Then a VIC 20, then a Commodore 128, then an Amiga 500. Continued to use the A500 into the 90s.

90s - Sadly had to move to PCs. Used OS/2 Warp like many ex-Amigans, but eventually moved to some Windows variants. Loved the 3D accelerator revolution and even had a small website dedicated to OpenGL acceleration (which was very crappy at the time). CPU progression: DX2-66, Pentium 133, Celeron 300A, Pentium 3 700.

00s - Windows 2000 was great. Moved to AMD CPUs (Athlon 2100+, Athlon X2 3800+, Phenom II X3 710, Phenom II X6 1090T). Got a Wii for a wedding present, my first console.

10s - Playing less and less, as the kids grow up, but played a few co-op games with them. Not doing a lot of upgrades. Using mainly the family laptops (a few over the years). Bought an Xbox 360 with Kinect for the kids, was quite a bit of fun. Bought an Xbox One S around 2 years ago, with the excuse of planning to program for it, but of course haven't done anything. Played some Xbox 360 co-op games on it with my son. Bought an Oculus Go and Quest. Still enjoying my Go (more than the Quest). Played quite a bit on Android.

4 years ago*

Happy Cake day oldie ;). Keep up playing games.

4 years ago

Thanks!

4 years ago

I am obviously very old ... first PC wasn't actually an AT but a XT System (10 MHz, 512 KB RAM, Vesa Graphics) ... hehe

4 years ago

My first approach to computers was an amstrad cpc 464 (it worked with regular audio tapes) arround 1986, after that jumped to PC, the jump was huge because it was an intel 486DX2 66Mhz at the end of the year 1992, it came with 4MB, a sound blaster and a year later (or two don't remember exactly) I added a cdrom unit. Years later that computer was replaced and an AMD K6 came to house, I've had several laptops and desktop since then but none of them had the hype I felt as with these first computers :).

4 years ago

WHOA!!! You have "ToCA Race Driver 3" in your Steam library!? I'm so jealous!!!! 🙀🙀🙀

4 years ago

Also played the very first game (Touring Car Championship) when it came out. Such a shock after playing only NFS titles for years.

4 years ago*

I hope you mean The Dark Project and not that abomination from 2014.

4 years ago

Lol yes. Imagine me switching from NES/Genesis era games to a demo of Thief where they tell you to climb and crouch and you shoot arrows and I was like, yes amazing... and then you go inside and they're like, walk here but not so we can hear you. It's pretty basic for today standards, but back in 1999 omg. Immediately had to get that game and play more of it. And then I realized level 1 is even bigger than it was in the demo, and you had to reach the inner courtyard before actually jumping into the well. Oh my!

4 years ago

Back around the early 90s, I remember reading in the school library, some books about future military tech from the 2020s and beyond. There was something about modern infantry getting early cloaking technology that is basically a chameleon suit, that lets you hide against walls if you stood still. Military aircraft would be fighting in space and able to knock out satellites in the early stages of a war. Laser weapons would be rolled out. The year 2050 would be mastered cloaking technology you see in scifi movies.

1980: There was nothing.
2000: I made a prediction I would get fast internet in 2005.
2005: It was called DSL and it was an amazing time to finally watch videos of stuff after an hour of downloading.

4 years ago

Hmmm I'm a mid 70s child so almost all my computer milestones where in the middle of decades,

mid 80s, used a Computer for the first time, the most popular thing on it was LOGO a programming language, and for years afterwards I referred to the onscreen cursor as the turtle

Early 90s purchased my first computer a 386sx, with a monochrome monitor, played loads of DOS games, before getting addicted to the original XCOM, borrowed shareware disks from friends to get all the new shareware games

Mid to late 90s discovered girls were more interesting than computers

Early 2000s decided computers were more stable than my love life so learnt webdesign and briefly ran a business and contributed to opensource projects

2010s gave up on computers as a business/vocation and now just game for fun

4 years ago

70: I was born and happy as you can be when you're a little kid in the 70ies.
80: I had my 1st contacts with computing (HP-41C, ZX-81, Apple IIC and E) and programming (FOCAL, BASIC, LOGO); I owned a VIC-20 and later a C-64. Some mate had a Spectrum or a MSX (pheeew).
90: I had more programming bits (Pascal, C, C++, 68K assembler) and owned an Amiga 500 and later a Mac Quadra 610, and later an assembled PC with I can't remember which specs, also I learnt unix and linux on tty terminals, I struggled to have free internet dialup at home using shady telephone numbers and surfed internet using gopher, www and lynx. I remind some alt.binaries.pictures.bunny and others. When FPS and RTS were the biggest interest of my buddies, I quit gaming and changed buddies, with girls on my radar.
00: I started working in ICT, using Apollo, HP and Sun stuff. I had some Packard Bell pc that I still used for dialup. I quit ICT and later I got a Macbook Pro, with which I resumed gaming and later met steam.
10: I refurbished some Fujitsu-Siemens PCs for personal use and bought lately a new gaming PC. After the bundle fever, I'm presently losing interest in gaming again, so now I'm selective. I bought a Wii and later a PS4 for my kids.

4 years ago*

I only had a PS1 gifted from my cousin with only about 6 games along with a DDR mat around the 2000s. The first computer I used was one of my dad's, he fixes electronics. It was a windows 95, not sure about the rest of the specs, didn't use it much, was more into books.

Then I built my own computer around 2005 with scattered upgrades up to now. The most recent SSD upgrade made me find out that my 500W psu is next to be upgraded although my RX480 AMD software says I should get something better than the i5 for a few of my games.

My cousin also asked for the PS1 back since I wasn't playing on it very much. All the consoles and handhelds seemed not worth buying while I was budgeting my computer upgrades, and we've even been able to use controllers for PC games for a long time now.

Next ten years? Some stability, probably no kids. I'm really fine with just being laid-back and keeping up health.

4 years ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.