Many game unavailable for my country GTA, Dirt3, If i win gift not work right? Sad bro.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Sorry i couldn't understand the question.

1 decade ago

Normally i can't buy Street Fighter, GTA, Dirt3 from STEAM it say "This item is currently unavailable in your region". What happen if i won in their gifts?

1 decade ago

you should be able to activate games even if they are unavailable for your country.

1 decade ago

Aside from some games that are locked to a single region only, you can get gifted all kinds of games and activate them on your account without any problems.

1 decade ago

Not true, someone had me test a Total War Shogun 2 code, it activated, and it refuses to install because of region location. I had to write steam support to remove a useless title from my library.

1 decade ago

Had the same problem - won a game that refuses to install because of my region. Good to know I can get support to remove it from my account, as it's something I really wanted and wasn't going to be able to as it already existed in my account.

1 decade ago

What was the game, if you don't mind me asking?... some games are region versions and thus do not install outside of the country where they were intended for; maybe that is why it does not install? From what I remember, there are almost no games on steam that cannot be purchased and installed in the US. Problem do arise from retail cd key codes and the like that have regional "settings" if you were. :)

1 decade ago

I read on the steam forums that a German person gifted someone Titan Quest. The recipent was stuck with the German cut version, but at least it installed and ran fine. I'd assume that there are some rare regions where games you buy don't activate in ROW (rest of world), maybe Russia is one of those.

1 decade ago

Empire: Total War. I won a copy from a Russian user and apparently the Russian copies are region locked and thus can't be installed here in the States. Oh well, it's not like it cost me anything, it's just a hassle to get support to remove it from my account.

1 decade ago

That is why I said "Aside from some games that are locked to a single region only", most of this problem you mention is caused by the Russia-only copies and similar.

1 decade ago

whoah... i thought, there is only a restriction to activate those... does that mean, i won't be able to play some of my games, if i ever travel from Russia to somewhere else?..:(

1 decade ago

GTA will work if gifted by person, who has access those games. i got GTA SA / GTA IV this way.

1 decade ago

It really depends on the game and location. I gifted Bioshock 2 to someone in China and it worked fine

1 decade ago

As far as I heard, the Russian version of FEAR3 is locked in Germany.
BUT even if you cannot buy a game in your region, it is about 99% certain that you can get it via gift. I did it many times, and all games work fine. Example: most GTA games are unavailable here in Germany, yet I got the GTA collection as a gift and they work fine. Most Quake and Doom games are unavailable, but i got the quakecon pack gifted without a problem.

In general, steam does not check which region you are in when you receive a gift. The game's region will be the gifter's.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Slimyth.