my level decreased to 2.83 from 3.27
I know it changes with the prices of the games I have given away.. but still
I don't get this. Can Someone put some light on it.. how it actually works?

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Level depends on how much a game currently costs. Bundled games counts as 10% (or 15% I don't remember) of the game's price.

7 years ago

Just saw another discussion regarding cv drop.
I do not find it fair when cv drops with price changes.. as I had given it away when it wasn't bundled or it wasn't on sale. :-/

7 years ago

bundled status doesn't effect your CV if you gave it away before it was bundled

7 years ago

Actually, sale prices don't affect CV, and if you gave away a game before it got bundled, you still retain full CV for it.

What probably happened, is that some game you gave away had its retail price reduced;

• this one is really a bummer, indeed...
7 years ago

Checked it on SGtools.
2 of my games have been added to bundled list.. they wasn't in the list when I gave them away..

7 years ago

That's unfortunate...
Now you need to give $4.15 worth of real CV to really get to level 3.

7 years ago

Yeah..
that's okay.. I love to share.... I know I do not make big or popular giveaways.. but I try to contribute as much as I can.

7 years ago

I can somehow relate to you, I share the same feeling except I live in a ROW region.
Look at my CV level, I came to level 4 just with crappy bundle leftovers: http://www.sgtools.info/sent/Mike90

Sharing is caring!

7 years ago

indeed bro :D
Good that you do not get region locked games from steam store

7 years ago

7 years ago

They are in red because its region locked games. As I mostly bought them on steam store.

7 years ago

red - Bundled game
green - Full value game

Watch carefully the colors, diagrams and text

7 years ago

Region restricted also shown in red.
however thats not my concern.. my issue is that I bought them on steam store as a steam gift. it wasn't a key.. so it shouldn't be counted as a bundled game.

7 years ago

Steamgifts has no way of checking where you bought the game. Even if it is a gift from Steam Store it will be counted as a bundle game (if it has ever been bundled). It is unfortunate but otherwise there is a lot of potential abuse.

7 years ago

yeah.. I can understand that :)
SG mods should give a thought about this CV drop issue

7 years ago

https://www.steamgifts.com/about/faq

What are levels, and how can I increase my level?

Levels represent a user's contributions to the community. When a user creates a giveaway that's received by the winner, their level increases in value, allowing them access to additional giveaways as a reward. Levels range from 0 - 10, with level 0 being the default after registration, and level 10 being the highest level attainable. If you mouseover your level in the navigation bar, or the level on profiles, you'll see a tooltip with the level rounded to 2 decimal places, giving you a better idea of small increments in level, and when you're about to level up.
Levels increase almost exponentially, meaning each level requires double the contributions of the previous level. For example, level 4 would require double the contributions of level 3, and level 3 would require double the contributions of level 2.
How much a giveaway increases your level is based on the gifts price, so a $20 game would add twice as much value to your level as a $10 game. There are three other factors that may influence the value of a gift...
After you give away a game 5 times (whether in the same giveaway, or in multiple giveaways), it will begin decreasing in value. The value is decreased by 10% for each additional copy. This means if you decide to give away 8 copies of a $10 game, it would add $74.39 (10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 9 + 8.10 + 7.29) in value towards your level. This has little effect on the majority of users, but prevents individuals from receiving a high level from gifting a large number of promotional gifts, games obtained through pricing errors, or keys from contacting game developers.
If a giveaway is invite only, or for a whitelist or Steam group, it will only add value towards your level if it receives 5 or more entries. This is in place to prevent small groups of friends from attempting to cheat the contributor system, and to encourage users to expand the reach of their giveaways. The whitelist feature offers an easy way to target a larger audience, and you can combine it with small Steam groups to receive a greater number of giveaway entries if needed.
Giveaways for bundle games created after the bundle date will always receive 15% of their value. For example, if you gift 2 copies of a $20 bundle game, you would receive $6 (3 + 3) in value towards your level. Keep in mind that changes to the list of bundle games will apply retroactively, so if a bundle begins today, attempting to gift the game before it's added to the list will offer no advantage. Games may also be added to the bundle list if they're available for free during a promotion, or if they're highly discounted in a sale.

7 years ago

Buddy I already read this article like 10 times before creating this thread.
Maybe you didn't got my point.
My concern is that CV shouldn't drop with the price change because the people who paid full amount for it won't be benefited.

7 years ago*

is not cg fault...they can't do anything about it...if your only want cv then you are doing it wrong..trust me... How can they control if you buy a game in a sale or in a bundle ?. they can't know that. and can't have 20 list for people who gift trough steamgift,or key... but well..i feel your pain...for me is really hard to give away games now :C.

7 years ago

Im not blaming them.. I am just pointing it out because there are a lot of other users who face this CV drop..
And it does hurt when your level decreases with your CV drop :P

7 years ago

well yes..is horrible but well u.u cv system is not good,but is all what we have..i wasn't there but people say that when steamgifts started there were no cv and no lvls :p. no restrictions :p.

7 years ago

I see a lot of threads of ppl complaining about this, are developers thinking an adjustment for this type of events?

7 years ago

They should give a thought on this

7 years ago

Should they? This is the only source of CV inflation, and not having an inflation could be the biggest force to hold back the site in the long run.

7 years ago

Good point. :)
Expert advice.. as always.. xD

7 years ago

Football Mogul 2014 and Baseball Mogul 2015, which you gave away recently, were both retroactively bundled yesterday. There must have been some steep discount or price glitch the bundler previously missed.

7 years ago

Yes. They added it to the bundled list yesterday. But i gave it away about 3 weeks earlier I guess. . I had checked that time too.. the game wasn't there in that list

7 years ago

This bundle looks to be the reason why they were added.

7 years ago

LOL 8 months ago. Probably this is the cause of my CV drop.

7 years ago

why should it drop generally? don't make sense even if retail price changes, lets say i give away 100$ worth of games and some get bundled some have price changes and lets say it drops to 50$ thats not fair if i pay 100$ and get only 50$ at the end.

7 years ago

That is exactly my point.

7 years ago

A game being bundled is not a problem as long as you gave it away before it got bundled. For the price change in the Steam Store: Steamgifts uses the prices provided by Steam. So it is an automated process. You could do it manually for games that have a changed price but there is a thread (which I don't find right now) where CG explains why is not a good idea to do it that way.

7 years ago

That process should lock after you get your CV, it shouldn't mess with your CV afterwards.

7 years ago

yeah somewhat like that

7 years ago

The problem with that is that if someone gives a game from a bundle but it still hasn't been marked as bundled then the CV will be locked at not bundled even thought it's been bundled. It could also be abused by giving games like Deponia during a sale when the game gets inflated by getting the price of the bundle instead of the game and then have the price locked at that high price.

7 years ago

Yeah I agree with you

7 years ago

Apart from bundling, permanent price changes in Steam Store affect Everyone's CV.

Recent example:
Mortal Kombat X Premium Edition used to be worth 90P (Steam Store regular price $89.99 in USA)

the regular price is now $49.99 in Steam Store USA, so now it's worth only 50P for everyone, regardless if it was given away before the price drop.

7 years ago*

yeah that is what needs to change.. or there has to be some way to prevent it

7 years ago

And it will be lower. I'm waiting when will it enter the 20-dollar category.

7 years ago

It's even worse when a game gets removed from Steam entirely. Then the price effectively drops to 0, as does the CV you've earned from it. :(

7 years ago

:O oh is it??

7 years ago

Make support ticket if you know removed game that is worth 0P.
They do fix those to the last known regular price. It can take long time; weeks, months even but eventually they should fix it.

For example if you give away game Cryostasis, it is worth 10P even though it is removed. But that game has bundle-game status also, so it's very little real CV value.

7 years ago*

+1
You must let them know about it

7 years ago

Yep, I did. Six months ago. :(

Edit: I understand the support people are busy and I haven't hassled them about it. They did respond relatively quickly to warn me it could be a long time until it was fixed.

7 years ago*

dont feel bad i went from 7.1 to 6.9 and lost about $160 CV last night, its my third time loosing level 7 i would be halfway to level 8 now if they did not keep dropping the prices on games i gave away long before price drops,very annoying but nothing you can do kept keep making GA's and dont bother giving away unbundled games as they all seem to drop to bundle prices eventually=(

7 years ago

Yeah I love sharing.. I'll continue to share.. :))
But this is also true that it hurts when CV drops and it also decreases your level :P

7 years ago

This will be my 4th f***ing time hitting level 8, but at this point, I just think it's cursed.

7 years ago

Probably xD

7 years ago

lol thats how i feel about level 7, i climb to about $100 past level 7 then BOOM im about $50 short of level 7 again very discouraging,its really bad after these steam sales because every one does price drops after and you loose CV on your unbundled game GA's even tho you payed more for them then there current cost they really need to freeze unbundled CV on here and not drop it because of price changes months/years after you give it away.

7 years ago

Mine dropped too, Im guessing they added Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor GOTY because of the 7 minute price glitch the other day. For mine, not yours.

7 years ago

Unfortunate

7 years ago

Meh, I dont really care, Ive never been a big fan of the level/cv system. I give because I want too, not for some epeen status. Not that I'm knocking those who do find a value in it. Thats just all it is to me.

7 years ago

I am not very worried about it either.. it is just that I saw something and I wanted to know how it actually works.. I'll be more careful before buying games for giveaway purposes :)

7 years ago

jazon1 : "dont bother giving away unbundled games as they all seem to drop to bundle prices eventually=("
Push : " Im guessing they added ..."
So, can I have a clear response? If I give an unbundled game and later they add it to the bundle list, will it drop to 15% value?

7 years ago

the FAQ says that if you giveaway a game before it was bundled then you will get full CV for it.

7 years ago

When a game is added to the bundle list it is added with the date from which it is considered bundled. For example, if you gave Mordor before the price glith, you would still have full CV (though it will still be lower because the base price dropped, but that's another thing), if you gave it after the glitch it will count as bundled, as soon as the bundle list is updated. You can temporary gain full CV, but it's only till the bundler adds the game to the list.

7 years ago

Thanks guys sorry if I was a noob. Now I know.

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.