Even if they state that sources are legit, take it as a rumor until Valve confirms. Read the article here.

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

My eyes, the goggles do nothing!

5 years ago

maybe, they stopped the production for steam link a while ago

5 years ago

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

5 years ago

they moved their focus on manufacturing the new device?

5 years ago

Valve makes more money by not making games.

5 years ago

Fuck yes :D

I bet on this happening a while ago, its been rumored for at least six months that Valve has had three games in the making. One of them turned out to be a card game but I had a feeling something would get released with the Knuckles to show off its tech, and was hoping it'd be Half Life or Portal related. Very excited for the Knuckles to finally get released

5 years ago

did they ever get HL VR working?
I tried a couple of times and always failed...

5 years ago

A 135° field of view with Vive Pro resolution panels should result in roughly the same angular resolution as the current HTC Vive.

Well, there goes my excitement. I tried VR for a few weeks, and I thought the resolution was awful - it was like stepping back in time from 1080p to 640x480 with huge pixels everywhere. Much of my frustrating with playing Lone Echo is that the resolution wasn't good enough for me to be able to see the things the game clearly wanted me to be able to see. As a result I was stumbling around, trying to find the blurry thing that was supposed to be the object I was looking for - and that was in a made for VR game. In standard PC games, like Project Cars or Euro Truck Simulator, things looked even worse.

5 years ago

I have no such issues with 2x 1280x1440 screens.

5 years ago

With the Rift / Vive's 1080x1200, it was really blurry and pixelated. I'm surprised that 1280x1440 would be a significant difference, I would think you'd need something like the 1440x1600 of the Vive Pro to make it look significantly sharper.

Though if you spread out those pixels across a wider FoV like this rumoured headset, then you're back to blurry screen-door land.

5 years ago

But which headset were you using? Both the Vive and the Rift run at effectively 2160×1200.

5 years ago

I was using the Rift, and it's actually 1080x1200 since it's per eye. But while 1080x1200 looks great from 2' away, it looks awful when pressed up against your eyeball - screen door effect as far as the eye can see (which, granted, isn't very far given the limited field of view).

5 years ago

Thank you for clarifying. I have never used a VR headset. I was just under the impression that their screens were very high resolution.

5 years ago

The problem is that the screens are held in place centimeters from your eyeballs. It's going to be quite a few generations of VR I think before we manage to get rid of the screen door effect, I have no problem getting immersed with the OG Vive but text is blurry because of the resolution, the Vive Pro has sharper text that is more readable but the resolution bump is still not significant enough to even start getting rid of the kind of complaints brought up by Tim.

I think it's amazing already, like having a futuristic arcade machine hooked up to your computer, but it's not on the level of Ready Player One or anything. It will be one day though, and a lot cheaper :P

5 years ago

Actually it won't take generations... the screen door effect already is almost gone with the Samsung Odyssey+.

5 years ago

That's very interesting and exciting stuff, the Odyssey + completely slipped past my radar. I'll be curious to see some impressions of it after people get used to using it

5 years ago

It'll be available for just $299 (instead of the regular $499) this coming Back Friday. And there's already many reviews out there, even showing the differences through the lenses.

5 years ago

Your eyes are centimeters from the screen, with magnifying glasses between the two. It's kind of like holding a giant magnifying glass up to your 1080p monitor. On paper, it sounds like they should be sharp and crisp given the resolution. In practice, anything other than the Vive Pro looks like stepping back in time to 640x480.

5 years ago

If that is true this will be a failure. 135° is not nearly enough when others go for 200° (PIMAX) or even 230° (StarVR).

5 years ago

Not necessarily. If those 135° are well used. Among the collaborators of Pimax is Valve so they certainly are aware of the competition and won't release an already outdated device

5 years ago

The narrow view is the most disturbing thing about the current generation of HMDs, if you ask me. Even more so than low pixel density. There is a reason the new models go for 200+ degrees. I don't know how they could even "use 135° well", as the narrow FOV is the core problem here. Sure, it's a little better than the old Vive. But with that FOV I doubt it will even be close to PIMAX/StarVR. I honestly was expecting the new Vive to go for something similar. Well, let's see if this information is really accurate and if there's maybe something else the new Vive can bring to the table, other than FOV and resolution.

5 years ago

The success also depends on the price, maybe they are not using the most recent technology to sell it as cheap as possible. Valve don't make money with hardware but with software so let's imagine a bundle with a headset, a knuckle controler and Half Life VR for 599€ or maybe 499. I would buy one.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.