Hi SG,

Holiday season 2022 has arrived and that means we're back with another event.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

To help with designing boxes this year, the giveaway creation page now includes a color picker so you can quickly incorporate solid colors into your designs. You can also adjust the opacity of colors using the slider at the bottom of the color picker. Of course, you still have the freedom to use images and GIFs if you're motivated and in the creative mood. I hope everyone has a great month and I look forward to seeing what the community comes up with this year!

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
    • Please ensure your gift box design is appropriate for all ages and respectful of others in the community. Inappropriate designs will need to be removed along with the corresponding giveaway.
    • DLC and no CV games (those marked with a double asterisk in the giveaway list) cannot be given away in the event.
  2. Liking gift boxes

• When you're viewing a gift box and you're a fan of the design, show your appreciation by clicking the "Like Design" button. You also have the option to browse all of the gift box designs you liked or view the most liked gift boxes in the community. Remember, the button is for liking the design of the box and not for rating the game inside.
    • If you're the creator of a box you'll see the number of likes your design received instead of the button.
  3. Peeking in gift boxes

• You can peek in 10 gift boxes each day.
    • When you peek in a gift box, you'll see a random number of games (2-4) and one of them is contained within the gift box. You can use this information to help decide whether or not you want to open the gift box.
  4. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found when opening or peeking inside of a gift box.

Happy holidays!

1 year ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Happy Holiday Guys ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ

1 year ago

Happy holidays!

1 year ago

Happy Holidays!!!

1 year ago

Can you add a "hide VR games" option? Even if not for the event, as a filter in account settings. It doesn't have to be tag-based since there's something else that causes the "this game requires a VR headset" message to be displayed on the games' store pages.

1 year ago

Yeah it would be nice to have this as well as some kind of "hide NSFW" as it doesn't listen to our ignored list.

1 year ago

Haaaappyy

1 year ago

Happy Holidays!

I know it wouldn't be fair to hide ignored games from these boxes, but for future, how about an available + hide all games you given away succesfully filter? That way users could at least avoid those unwanted extras they given away already.

1 year ago

If those are extras, then they would be filtered due to "already owned".

I think most people give away stuff they don't want to play, then it would just give edge to people who give away a lot of stuff.

1 year ago

Thank you for this event
I like the peeking option

1 year ago

super

1 year ago

I can't open or peek. I get Uncaught TypeError: $(...).bPopup is not a function error on the browser console. Microsoft Edge, Version 108.0.1462.42 (Official build) (64-bit), on Linux.

1 year ago

Still a problem?

1 year ago

On linux, still a problem. On Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge Version 108.0.1462.46 (Official build) (64-bit), it works. Almost same build, same extensions (they're synced). No idea why it doesn't work on Linux.

1 year ago

Seems like the JavaScript didn't fully download for the site and your browser has this corrupted version cached. Did you try a hard refresh (hold Ctrl and click the refresh button in Edge)?

1 year ago

Yes, and with DevTools open with Disable Cache checked. In the Network tab, all linked resources are loaded, nothing from cache. But when clicking eg "Peek", still get:

minified_v53.js:30 

Uncaught TypeError: $(...).bPopup is not a function
    at HTMLDivElement.<anonymous> (minified_v53.js:30:15767)
    at HTMLDivElement.dispatch (minified_v53.js:2:41772)
    at y.handle (minified_v53.js:2:39791)

Have also tried in Chrome Version 108.0.5359.98 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Linux, same exact error.

However, it DOES work in Firefox on Linux. It appears that just the Chromium browsers on Linux have this problem, and it works for those same Chromium browsers on Windows.

1 year ago

Thanks for checking the cache. What Linux distro are you using?

1 year ago

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

1 year ago

I booted up Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, installed Chrome and Edge, but couldn't replicate the issue. Everything works as expected on my end. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? When did it start for you q00u?

1 year ago

Weird! It never worked for me, I've just been using Firefox for SG now. No idea why it's different on my computer. I should have stuck with 20.04, which everything is compatible with. Feel like I definitely jumped on 22.04 way too soon. But you tried 22.04 and it worked, so I'm at a loss. I see that Chrome updated today; I might try it again.

1 year ago

Gosh, I love this event so much... Meow, I need to check Fanatical/HB for a nice game (on sale, I admit) and craft a nifty gift box.
Edit: jeez... those effing region locks. >.< This is going to be a bit of a headache.

1 year ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

Undisclosed locks, you say? O_o Oh my. Tell me more, pwease. I'm lucky enough to have never experienced that [knocks on wood] and I sure hope I won't run into that kind of issue. I did manage to find something, yeah. It's not as "exciting" as the three games I was considering (and it was cheaper too, so I'm feeling a bit of guilt here), buuuut it's a game I've enjoyed quite a bit, it packs many hours of fun aaaaaand I do have some ideas for the gift box so all in all, I guess it's a win-win situation. unless there are hidden locks, of course. Then, I might cry a bit. Fingers crossed!

1 year ago

Just stopping by to say meow

1 year ago

Found a image for wrapping paper but it's the wrong extension? You can edit the extension on the giveaway creation.

Just change the extension to .gif

.jpeg can become .jpg

.mp4 can become .gif (sometimes you get a static image instead of animation though)

Found a pattern on a page? Use inspect (or whatever) to open the page source, etc. Find the pattern and extract it.

For example:

https://imgur.com/t/funny

View attached image.
1 year ago*

what's an i707?

1 year ago

๐Ÿญ

1 year ago

It would be nice if there was a cap for file sizes as it currently takes so long to load any of the gift pages.

1 year ago

+1

1 year ago

This! I have a good internet connection here, but people are using huge image files to fit a tiny box! it's sooo long to load every page

1 year ago

For Creating a Giveaway if I want to gift multiple games, what do I usually put in the 1st box? Just one of the games being given away?

1 year ago

Hi vanderjaght, if they're different games then you'll need to create a separate giveaway for each one.

1 year ago

Understood, thanks for the reply!

1 year ago

you could make one box and link it to a private train

1 year ago

happy cakeday

1 year ago

Thank you very much!

1 year ago

I know you removed the three random preloaded gift boxes from the homepage because of slow loading issues, but now the holiday event doesn't stand out as much. Maybe next year you could make a banner or something that'll catch peoples' eyes and link to the event as well?

1 year ago

Well, the Holiday event has a banner on its page, so it could be just added to the main page close near to the notice?

1 year ago*

Love this event and look forward to it every year!

Would like to make a couple of suggestions for future years:

1. If trying to free up points for other games that will end sooner:
    1a. Add the deleted holiday game into the WISHLIST games list (this may already be happening?)
    1b. Add a "Christmas-y" icon for holiday games entered on the ENTERED pages (Christmas tree, poinsettia, wreath, etc) so we know not to delete them

2. Once a gift box is clicked from a "Holiday gifts available" page:
    2a. Be able to click the box to increase the size (my eyesight isn't what it used to be and many of the scenes on the gift boxes are unidentifiable)
    2b. Ability to rotate box so the top and/or sides are not at angles and/or stop the automatic rotation of the box

Thanks again to Steam Gifts and all the members who create the gifts for a great event!

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

Thank you for information.

1 year ago

Thanks very much, very generous of you all! Happy Holidays everyone!

1 year ago

giga nice event

1 year ago

Bump and thank you.

1 year ago

Hey CG
please tell us the top 10 most liked designs. XD

1 year ago

Thanks for the traditional holiday event and to everyone who contributed gifts this year!

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.