I have bought all my parts for my new PC but having to wait for pre-order of the GTX 770 which I may cancel.

Iv'e looked online and the R9 290 is upto 20% faster. The GTX 770 is £310 to buy and the R9 290 is £357. I have had both Nvidia and ATI cards in the past and never had a problem with either and the same with drivers albeit they were crap cards but still.

There is all the new things like shadowplayer, g-sync, mantel etc.... What's the best choice and why. It's either out of these two to finally complete my system and last me hopefully at-leas 5yrs. I will be using my 24" BenQ 1ms 1080p monitor. That may change ....in the future.

PC Parts:
Seasonic Platinum 760W
Asus Z87-PRO
Intel Core i7-4770K
Noctua NH-U12S
G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X 2133
Samsung 840 EVO

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Depends on the games u gonna play. My personal choice would be R9 .

1 decade ago

I play battlefields 2/3/4, all CODS, Crysis games, GRID 2, DiRTs etc...

1 decade ago

AMD games mostly

1 decade ago

A custom cooled R9 290 will be more than 20% faster than a GTX 770 in some games.

See here. Not the same card but similar clock speeds. The MSI will probably have slightly worse thermals but performance will be the same.

Downsides of the R9 290 vs GTX 770 would be the increased power consumption and not having Shadowplay if you're interested in using it.

1 decade ago

My money are on Radeons =) Not only they are great with games, and potentially even better in the future (Mantle), but they can actually pay themselves off, if you mine some good crypto currency. Right now an r290x will earn its price in about 2 months, if you mine 24/7 ;)

1 decade ago

Will AMD bring something like shadowplay out?

1 decade ago

ShadowPlay only works well because NVIDIA's newer cards have H264 encoders built in, which takes all of the render work away from the rest of the computer. In other words, AMD probably won't put out a ShadowPlay competitor.

Luckily, they do have a response to G-Sync called FreeSync coming soon, which has pretty much exactly the same effect while offering higher compatibility (the display only has to support VBLANK, rather than needing a proprietary display controller)

1 decade ago

Id never really use Shadowplay anyway, i see no point in recording footage of playing a game. Youtube is plagued by it.

R9 290 is the way to go then as either choice has the same cooler.

1 decade ago

R9 290 :)

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by djdynamite123.