TechRaptor Article

Court documents show for 2019 and 2020 EGS ran negative $ 181 and $ 273 million
To establish the marketplace it's expected to take losses up front, but will it pay off? What do you think?\

(I tried to confirm this wasn't posted before, if it was comment and I'll delete)

3 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Will EGS eventually make it big?

View Results
Yes
No
Potato

oof, 200 ppl actually voted yes lol

3 years ago

The argument that going to Epic regularly to get free games will translate into sales for many people is flawed from a conditioning mindset. They are selling games, so some people are acting upon their coupons and discounts to buy games through Epic. However, for the majority of people who habitually check in to claim their free games, that's all they'll ever do. Getting a game free every week provides a lot of entertainment, and so even those who are playing them instead of just amassing a hoard will build up a back-log of titles to play. If that promotion ever ends, they'll keep checking every week for a while, but where's the incentive to look around the store and consider buying anything? At the very least, they'd have unplayed free games to tackle first. Even when that's finished though, again, why transition from a place where you got free games to a place where you'd spend money to buy any? There's no reward or reason built in to do so. Unless there's sites available at some point that sell Epic game bundles, which would compete with the ones out there for Steam games, those who value a good deal won't open their wallets for the place that regularly handed out freebies. That's not how behaviors are shaped.

3 years ago

The need to install another launcher and to make another account is a wall that alienates many customers. By giving out freebies, Epic destroys the wall. A customer already has some experience with EGS, it doesn't scare him off. Also when you start the launcher you see some notification about new games and promotions. So even if you only play the freebies, you're still the target for advertising

3 years ago

You assume making another account would be much of a hindrance when the alternative is paying more to stick with what you already have. I guess this works only if someone bothers to get an Epic account in the first place for regular free games, but never bothers doing so for the ones given away on the Steam platform. Someone willing to make 1 account for free games will likely do so for other platforms as well. However, by incentivizing people to come only for the free games, Epic is removing any reason for paying for games. Especially when you never know if next week's free game might be the one you were thinking of buying. Why take that risk when you can just wait them out and maybe get it without paying a dime?

Because nothing works so well as unsolicited, easily ignored advertising when a person's only source of interest is the free stuff. Additionally, making the Epic account doesn't require connecting it to any pay source, so you still have to take additional steps to go from a free gamer to a paying one.

3 years ago

I figured it wouldn't be that profitable for them since they are giving away some decent free games and like most people they probably were just coming on every week to claim and maybe not buy anything.

Only games I bought myself were some ubisoft titles since in most cases they were cheaper (first title was break point, with the coupon was able to get it for real cheap, like 10$ wasn't sure I was gonna like it) and the crysis remastered... crysis holds special place in my heart and so I just had to get it... but I waited till I was able to get it for like 10$.

Otherwise most of the other exclusives I'll wait till it reaches steam - I don't mind buying ubisoft titles since they are not even on steam to begin with (at least not any new ones) so if I can get it cheaper on EGS and it just uses the Uplay (without the need ever for EGS) client then might as well buy it where it can be cheaper.

And like with EA (well before they decided to hop back on steam) I would buy games off origin since most of their games prior you still needed both steam/origin and I figure it would be simpler to just buy it at it's main store (I think I will just continue doing that).

I guess nowadays almost every company is now getting their launchers, but I guess everyone wants their piece of the pie.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.