Link to a list of CPUs that are worth buying in a price range of $100 – $230. I didn't pick the costliest CPUs, basically this is for a saver who wants to have a nice system.
Hope somebody will find this useful! :)

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Tom's Hardware monthly "Best Gaming CPU" and "Best Gaming GPU" per price range is also a handy reference:

CPU: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-llano-processor,2989.html

GPU: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,2997.html

1 decade ago

Thanks, I will look at those in an hour or so.
My next writing is going to be either about motherboards or memory, though.

1 decade ago

Hardware Revolution is also a pretty nice reference site. It separates items into categories based on price, performance, etc to cater to specific budgets or needs.

1 decade ago

Thank you, I will look into this one too. :) Bookmarked.

1 decade ago

Thanks again for some new links. :) Bookmarked too.
Well, only one actually.

1 decade ago

currently there's no better gaming processor other than I5-2500K

1 decade ago

There is, but it costs significantly more. The next a little better CPU costs $80 more than 2500K.

1 decade ago

actually i agree with f0ku5 "gaming".
You wont see much difference between the i5 2500k and the i7 2600k.

Furthermore my amd phenom ii x4 920 (my htpc build) can still hold his own ground with my other rigs (i7 860, i7 870 and i5 2500k). Obviously i mean in gaming.

1 decade ago

Oh, I forgot to include that. I meant 2600K by that $80.
Anyway, these are the other better CPUs:
Intel Core i7 990X
Intel Core i7 980X
Intel Core i7 970
But again - they didn't go into my price range. These are the costliest CPUs available, and in my opinion - not worth buying if you are only gaming or zipping files. When there will be games which will be able to actually use the full potential by these CPUs, there will be next-gen CPUs.

1 decade ago

they're not better than Sandy Bridge chips in games. "Gaming" is the keyword ;)

For games 2500K is the best processor available now, and 2600K isn't better, because he have HT which won't work good in many games.

1 decade ago

Thanks, Mysterious. A new processor was something I was actually considering, but didn't have the time to check the low/mid-range ones out. Using your review, my next CPU will be the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T.

1 decade ago

Glad I helped someone. :)

1 decade ago

do not buy Phenoms now, wait for Bulldozer.

1 decade ago

He might need a new Motherboard for a Bulldozer (If I am correct you need a AM3+ Socket)

1 decade ago

Either way, I'm planning on getting a new mobo...but I'm in the same boat that I was in for the CPU. Something good, nice, and generally cheap. If I have to trade down for a mobo that'd take Bulldozer, when I could have a "moderately great" mobo to match the processor, then it's not a win.

1 decade ago

The Phenom is plenty powerful for what you need right now, and its got a good price point... Why do you need an octo core processor anyway?

1 decade ago

well since he is going to get a new motherboard he might as well wait a bit longer.
If you have a microcenter they do have that $80.00 off the motherboard if you buy a combo cpu/motherboard, so if you can't wait i would jump for that

1 decade ago

Another good point...

1 decade ago

Bulldozer is highly overrated in your post.
Prices of Bulldozer CPUs will be ranging from $190 to $320. Top model will be able to compete with 2600K (8 cores, $320), while FX-6110 (6 cores, $240) will be able to compete with 2500K, which is $220.
So basically - it isn't worth waiting for Bulldozer nor performance-wise, nor price-wise.

1 decade ago

If you live near a Micro Center, GO THERE FIRST! Also, I currently own an i5 2400. Contrary to popular misconception, they can be overclocked. If you purchase a Z68 based motherboard, you can overclock it to 4.1GHz on one core and 3.8GHz on four active cores. Not only that, but with QuickSync, you can use a discrete video card and the onboard Sandy Bridge GPU (HD Graphics 2000/3000). I run pretty much everything in my library while I wait to save up for a graphics card.

i5 2500k - $179.99
i5 2400 - $149.99

I don't recommend any of the other Intel processors right now. These two are the best bang for your buck when it comes to comparing dollar to performance.

As for the AMD CPUs, they are all either the same price listed on the OP link or $10-20 cheaper at Micro Center.

To compare processors, use the AnandTech Bench. It's quick and easy to get a rough idea of the performance between two or more current processors.

Overclocking can be pretty overrated, so you're not really losing that much of performance by not being able to go over 3.8GHz, unless you're somehow maxing out all four cores at 3.1GHz.

Or you can wait until Ivy Bridge or Bulldozer, but that wouldn't really be cost effective. Ivy Bridge might be pretty pricey at first when it comes out next year, but Bulldozer should be fine, but will come out around the same time next year as well. If you're going that route, make sure to buy a motherboard that supports PCIe x16 3.0 and the next architecture you're looking at buying.

If you're going AMD, Bulldozer is a pretty large upgrade from the previous arch compared to Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge. If you're seriously thinking about going IB, do some research to figure out why you would wait that long to go IB over SB and just wait for Haswell in 2013. That amount of time until the next possible upgrade makes more sense, too.

1 decade ago

Paterson Microcenter Whooo!!

1 decade ago

I think the better CPUs are the ones which overclock very well. Add a Hyper 212 and the i5-2500K goes far above 4 GHz.

1 decade ago

if you have a good case the i5 2500k should be able to overclock at 4GHz with a stock cooler.

1 decade ago

Well, they really do overclock good, can go high. However, most likely you won't need that powerful CPU... Unless you are zipping ton of files or rendering ton of videos, or doing something else what puts heavy load on your CPU, then you can get the job done faster. :)

1 decade ago

Considering how getting a much better CPU that might not beat the 4GHz barrier will cost around $200 in three years, getting a better cooler for just $25 will make that extra 400MHz+ add more life to the aging CPU. Also, numbers get more big.

1 decade ago

Speaking of good CPUs, 2500K costs $220 now. :)

1 decade ago

Last months sales were great timing on my part.

1 decade ago

The thing is that you don't really need to OC go past 4ghz... you don't even need 4 ghz really

1 decade ago

Awesome, I've been thinking about building a decent gaming rig (on a somewhat tight budget)
This'll help. thanks!

1 decade ago

Glad I helped. :)
Towards that matter, I'm going to do more reviews on other parts soon, so maybe that will help you out too.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Mysterious.