Hi,

It has been a while since I've created a discussion, but to be honest, I've wanted to take a bit of a breather. Anyway, in today's discussion we're going to take a deep dive in the Role Playing Games. Role Playing Games are divided in subcategories, so I'm curious to know what has been your favorite games from decade to decade. They don't have to be in the year of release related, so you can be like me and play Diablo III a decade later. So, let's get on with the list and remember that you're free to add as many games from that period as you like.

After going over this I noticed I've not played any JRPG's. It's not that I've not liked them, but I've had little connection with them as a kid and grew to never try them I guess. If you have recommendations feel free to drop them.

Update: For those confused of what is what, I'll place an explanation:

WRPG

Western role-playing video games are role-playing video games developed in the Western world, including The Americas and Europe.
WRPG are heavily influence by lore from Western culture. You'll often find medieval influence, fantasy like Warcraft and Lord of The Rings.

JRPG

Japanese role-playing games tend to have a more linear story and a set cast of characters. They generally have a large number of enemy encounters and may require grinding in order to progress further into the game. Examples of this genre include Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII.

SRPG

• Some people known them as TRPG - don't confuse them with Simulation RPG, which may be a sub-genre mix of itself.

The tactical/strategy role-playing game subgenre principally refers to games which incorporate gameplay from strategy games as an alternative to traditional RPG systems. Like standard RPG, the player controls a finite party and battles a similar number of enemies, but this genre incorporates strategic gameplay such as tactical movement on an isometric grid. The genre has its origins in tabletop role-playing games, where each player has time to decide his or her characters' actions.

ARPG

The action role-playing game or action RPG is a type of role-playing video game which incorporates real-time combat as opposed to turn-based or menu-based, often borrowing elements from action games or action-adventure games. Some of the first action role-playing games were produced by Nihon Falcom in the 1980s, such as the Dragon Slayer series and Ys series. Later so-called "Diablo clones" are also part of this genre. Although the precise definition of the genre varies, the typical action RPG features a heavy emphasis on combat, often simplifying or removing non-combat attributes and statistics and the effect they have on the character's development. Additionally, combat always takes place using a real-time system (hence the "action") that relies on the player's ability to perform particular actions with speed and accuracy to determine success, rather than mainly using the player character's attributes to determine this.

This is my personal choice and only serves as example, so what's yours?

GAME TYPE 2000-2009 2010-2019 2020+
Western Role Playing Game (WRPG) Elder Scrolls Oblivion Elder Scrolls Skyrim None
Japanese Role Playing Game (JRPG) None None None
Strategy Role Playing Game (SRPG) Not Played Any Dragon Age Series & Mass Effect Series None
Action Role Playing Game (ARPG) Diablo II Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Diablo III
Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) Aion Guild Wars 2 None
1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you like to play RPGs? What subcategory is your favorite?

View Results
WRPG
JRPG
SRPG
ARPG
MMORPG
Other Genres

To be honest, I am not sure what the difference is between:

• WRPG (never heard of this before)

• JRPG (yes from Japan, but what else?)

• SRPG (also never heard of before)

• ARPG (Action RPG but don't all have action in it?)

• MMORPG I get the idea since the MMO part.

So yeah, not much I can say besides that I do enjoy me some RPG games but no clue which subcategory I would like most ^^

1 year ago

I'm like you i haven't the answer for that but... HAPPY CAKEDAY !!!

1 year ago

Haha yeah, am sure I am not alone on this!
And thanks!! (I regret not having cake :( )

1 year ago

Pretty sure that's not a rules here so all is fine ^^

1 year ago

Yeah, I'm pretty confused as well. I'd understand separation into Western/Japanese or TB/RT/RTwP, but I just don't understand what to choose in this poll.

1 year ago

I think my choice would be either ARPG or JRPG but no clue which of my games fall under what and some games fall under multiple of those?
WRPG I can't say since no clue which games fall under that besides the examples in the main post and since I am not a big Strategy gamer I guess that one is a no for me?

1 year ago

Sorry for the confusion, I'll place an update to explain each subcategory.

1 year ago

I think the Action part in ARPG refers to actively controlling your character in battle contrary to turn based combat. Stuff like Ocarina of Time, the more recent Assassin's Creeds and the likes.

1 year ago

Ah like that, guess indeed many RPG games are turned-based, didn't even think of that...
I think I like ARPG, for example Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Van Helsing, Victor Vran, etc. ^^ (and yes, Zelda!!)

1 year ago

Yep! Those are pure ARPG's.

1 year ago

That's correct, AC kinda turned into an ARPG lately.

1 year ago

I'll explain:

Western role-playing video games are role-playing video games developed in the Western world, including The Americas and Europe.
WRPG are heavily influence by lore from Western culture. You'll often find medieval influence, fantasy like Warcraft and Lord of The Rings.

Japanese RPGs tend to use anime-style designs, and are more heavily focused on lore, cut-scenes and characters.

Strategy RPG's are a mix between Role Playing Games and Strategy or Turn-Based games.

ARPGs are quite mixed here too, but usually contain Hack & Slash like Diablo, or if you want more recent, Assassins Creed.

PS:

View attached image.
1 year ago

Ah thanks for that explanation, now I think I get the WRPG more!!
I noticed many JRPG games also have use skills that can take whole cutscenes just to wait before they attack, luckily not all have that, but a lot do, so annoying! Just let me fight!!
I noticed indeed, when checking some of my ARPG games that most also have hack &slash in it, I guess those are my favorite RPG games!

Ps. thanks, they look so cute and happy :3

1 year ago

Ah thanks for that explanation, now I think I get the WRPG more!!
I noticed many JRPG games also have use skills that can take whole cutscenes just to wait before they attack, luckily not all have that, but a lot do, so annoying! Just let me fight!!

I've noticed I don't play JRPG's enough. I mean, I can't remember playing any in my whole experience. It's not that I don't like, but I always prefer to go with WRPG or Classic (C)RPG as some may know it as.

I noticed indeed, when checking some of my ARPG games that most also have hack &slash in it, I guess those are my favorite RPG games!

I can say I enjoy both just as much. It really depends on my mood. I enjoy the loot system in ARPG's.

Ps. thanks, they look so cute and happy :3

Like yourself! 😄

1 year ago

JRPG's can be a lot of fun, really depends on which one since like I said, those with huge skills that have their own cutscenes that you can't skip are usually a no for me, it will make me never use them...
I am personally not sure which of my games are JRPG, Guess Tales are? but besides that...

ARPG are nice indeed for that, I enjoy collecting everything and explore everywhere, that is also the reason many people don't enjoy to play with me since that makes me slow since I need to keep going back to sell stuff :P

Ps. blush

1 year ago

WRPG (never heard of this before)

I think that label only came into visible use a few years back? Like, within the past two years or so? In fact, the first recorded instance of the WRPG label appears to only be from the latter part of 2010, and there seems to be basically no meaningful mentions of it even to date, outside of deliberate usage of the acronym to contrast against the JRPG tag [eg "Which is better- WRPGs or JRPGs?"]. If you go 10+ pages into the search results, Google does pull up several articles from 2012 that seem to have attempted to push it into visibility, though, so there's that..

With that in mind, most of us who're older than our teens (and it seems likely even still a majority of those who are in their teens or younger, given the label's seeming obscurity), as well as anyone who utilizes basically any site that uses genre sorting (as CRPG seems to still massively supplant WRPG in usage, as can be somewhat evidenced by how the Steam Store favors CRPG over WRPG) probably knows the associated genre better as "CRPG".

That's not to say it isn't more functional a genre label than CRPG- because it is- but it's only just barely so, given that you're basically contrasting "Japan" against "everything else, which is kinda all in the west, I guess?". In other words, it's still a poorly expressed label, which is likely why it hasn't ever succeeded in supplanting the similarly vague label of CRPG.

1 year ago*

Ah thanks for the explanation, guess that explains why I never heard of it.
To be fair, also didn't know what CRPG was before today, Google told me it's basically any RPG that is on a computer... yeah... that label is then kind of useless so any other label would have more use than that :P
I am fine with games getting different labels to make it easier to understand what kind of game it is, I mean it helps for sure, but some labels just go to far in my opinion and not always make it more clear either, though now that on Steam any joker can just add tags/labels, the mess is only getting bigger and bigger.

1 year ago

Is a Sword Art Online series (without Fatal Bullet) JRPG games? I think they're best for me

1 year ago

Yes, I believe it fits more in the MMOJRPG's if I'm not wrong. 🤔

1 year ago

Yah, I think so. There's a lot of skills and things like in jrpg

1 year ago

Is it as good as the anime series?

1 year ago

Yes, it's need long time to achieve 100% progress, in first part - Re: Hollow Fragment we need to clear floors.frok 76 to 100, on every floor we have boss and locations with mobs. It's interesting, but some people can get bored from this, not me

1 year ago

I haven't played most of the "new" supposedly great ones yet so I'll have to say Fallout 2.
I thinks that's a CRPG.

1 year ago

Same, since the pandemic, I've played some other games than RPG's.

1 year ago

FF7 !!!!! <3

1 year ago

Classic :)

1 year ago

Gothic || and KOTOR

1 year ago

Great choice! I gotta say!

1 year ago

Genere Game
wRPG The witcher series
jRPG Persona series
aRPG not have (but you can call aRPG: Crisis core Final Fantasy 7)
cRPG (classic/computer) Baldur`s Gate (1 and 2)
MMORPG I skip these games
1 year ago

Have I been cloned?

1 year ago

No, just games are too good

1 year ago

I think you're the clone, look at your profile. It has a mask 😆

1 year ago

not have (but you can call aRPG: Crisis core Final Fantasy 7)

Bet you're excited of the remake. 😄

1 year ago

MEGA EXCITED! For me is THE BEST FF game (story, characters, music, graphics)
When give release date to FF7R I don`t care (at time) but when SE tell they make remake of CC I tell "finally it si time to be free from forgotten elusive!".

1 year ago

Lineage 2 is the one i spent most of my time playing .

JRPGs the Hyperdimension Neptunia games and the Atelier series are personal favourites of my . Pokemon 2 i guess it kinda fit in .

1 year ago

Lineage 2 is the one i spent most of my time playing .

Really enjoyed it too, but back then I couldn't afford to buy it, so I played on private servers. It's not the same experience like the official servers.

1 year ago

I played in L2Dex for the most part , and then when Offi became free to play went there and played in Shillen till i retired .

Spent solid 8-9 years on that game ... still get the nostalgia towards it but sadly no place to play it anymore only pay to win stuff available xD

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

1 year ago

Disco Elysium triggers my brain so much. Man i have pondered over so many issues playing that game.

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

Why is that?

1 year ago

the conversations, issues with bosses, workers, the social and political intrigue the game offers. it was thought provoking for me.

1 year ago

Disco Elysium is an RPG? I had no idea. I thought it was a detective adventure game. 😅

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

1 year ago

"Might and Magic" series (new world computing only) and "Wizardry" series as Classic RPG
"Mass Effect" as Social RPG
"The Elder Scrolls Online" as MMORPG

1 year ago

Social RPG? You mean you enjoy them for their narative aspect?

1 year ago

Exactly.

1 year ago

Western RPG: Baldur's Gate 1
JRPG: Valkyrie Profile
Strategy RPG: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
ARPG: Shining Force EXA
MMORPG: None, I don't play

1 year ago

Was not familiar with Shining Force EXA. But thank you for mentioning some newer ones.

1 year ago

Baldur's Gate 2 and Guild Wars

1 year ago

Do you still play them? What's your thoughts on Baldur's Gate 3? I've not played any of the BG games, but I enjoy the visuals and tacitcal aspect of the BG3.

1 year ago

I might replay Baldur's Gate 2 at some point, not sure. BG1 didn't feel as amazing as it did back when I first played it. I haven't played BG3 yet.

I haven't played Guild Wars in ages, at some point it stopped working properly because some servers where removed I think. I would like to replay it as well but dunno if I can.

1 year ago

I don't recall which games I have played that actually fall into this category, but the majority of my favorites typically fall under JRPG (assuming I understand the definition right).

My top would be Paper Mario (first two installments) and Anodyne. These are in no particular order.

I see several games I've played by filtering by RPG in Steam, but I either have not played them long, have no clue how they would be considered an RPG, or just don't know the subcategory. If you're interested I can provide a list. (Of note, Anodyne is not considered an RPG according to Steam despite being very similar in style to the original Zelda)

1 year ago

Man, Anodyne is so damn good, and Anodyne 2 is so.... not good.

1 year ago

Lol, I saw Anodyne 2 at one point and was on the fence for it. I'm glad I didn't buy it based on your feedback

1 year ago

They changed the top down formula. It seems like an adventure game now.

1 year ago

The cateogorization can be rather confusing. Just wait until I create other topics for other genre's and subgenre's haha. 🤣|

I've never heard or played Anodyne.

1 year ago

Definitely worth a playthrough. You can pick it up during the current sale for about $2 USD give or take depending on market.

1 year ago

• ARPG: Magicka, Hero siege
  • MMOARPG: Path of Exile, Bit Heroes

I played more RPGs but these 4 are those I played the most

1 year ago

ARPG: Magicka, Hero siege

Magicka definetly seems in the right category. Hero siege looks to me like a roguelike, because of the classic looking dungeon types.

MMOARPG: Path of Exile, Bit Heroes

Yeah, Path of Exile is one. Bit Heroes looks more like an MMOSRPG because it's tactically in a way, while each character takes their turn.

1 year ago

A notable subcategory of JPRG are the ones where you can boost your attack/defense if you push the button at the right time, such as Super Mario RPG, Ikenfell, Bug Fables, etc. I think my pick would go to Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga because that game lets you avoid damage completely if you time your button push correctly; it makes it so the final boss reducing your HP to 1 isn't unfair since you can still avoid its attacks and heal up next turn.

EDIT: For Strategy RPG, I'd pick Wargroove, but I'm not sure if that counts since there are no RPG mechanics in that game.

1 year ago

A notable subcategory of JPRG are the ones where you can boost your attack/defense if you push the button at the right time, such as Super Mario RPG, Ikenfell, Bug Fables, etc. I think my pick would go to Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga because that game lets you avoid damage completely if you time your button push correctly; it makes it so the final boss reducing your HP to 1 isn't unfair since you can still avoid its attacks and heal up next turn.

Oh I see! I've not played any of the JRPG's to be able to cover that, but it's very much possible. RPG's tend to branch out well over other sub-genres and genres. Action genre takes a lot of credit now because people enjoy more the fast pace combat in RPG's and the character building and dialogues of classic RPG's.

EDIT: For Strategy RPG, I'd pick Wargroove, but I'm not sure if that counts since there are no RPG mechanics in that game.

I've got the game, but didn't yet get to it. Thanks for pointing that game out. 😄

1 year ago

Prefer JRPG and Final Fantasy 8. Also FF 7,9,10 i mostly enjoyed.

1 year ago

Should I go for older games from the franchise? I'm very much confused about the order I should play them. I'm the type of player that has to play them in a somewhat order of release (remakes are welcomed as replacement) to appreciate the game more.

1 year ago

There isn't any connection between different numbers in the franchise. They are purely standalone titles except for FFX and FFX-2 and FFXIII 1-3 (i think).

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

1 year ago

I've not played Risen, but Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 are by far my favorite. What do you think of the 3rd one? I felt dissapointed right at the beginning and didn't even bothered to get later in the game to appreciate it more.

1 year ago

The third does not exist.

1 year ago

I think I know why the series fall flat. They tried to kinda mix with more Action. People didn't buy it anymore. I felt like the classics were more towards Classis RPG, but hack & slash elements, but didn't feel like it was all about that. What do you think?

1 year ago

They dismantled the team and brought incompetent ppl to make a product for ez money.

1 year ago

My favorite WRPG of all time is Divinity: Original Sin 2.
JRPG, Persona 5.
SRPG, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
ARPG, NieR:Automataâ„¢ and DARK SOULSâ„¢ (Couldn't pick just one)
MMORPG Ragnarok Online without a doubt.

1 year ago

My favorite WRPG of all time is Divinity: Original Sin 2.

I'd classify it more like a Strategy(Tactical) RPG to be exact. Every game that allows you to pause or is turn-by-turn is pretty much taking strategy elements. But anyway, that's just a remark. The game is excellent never the less. I've sunk less time in the 2nd. I enjoyed the first very much though. Great games never the less!

JRPG, Persona 5.
SRPG, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
ARPG, NieR:Automataâ„¢ and DARK SOULSâ„¢ (Couldn't pick just one)

Great picks. Can't argue with that.

MMORPG Ragnarok Online without a doubt.

This is the only game I'm less familiar with, but each MMO, when they were once a popular thing had something to offer. I've played so many MMO's before because I loved the interactions I've had with my friends and partner in a Role-Playing manner that you can't feel in any other sub-genre.

1 year ago

I'd classify it more like a Strategy(Tactical) RPG to be exact. Every game that allows you to pause or is turn-by-turn is pretty much taking strategy elements. But anyway, that's just a remark. The game is excellent never the less. I've sunk less time in the 2nd. I enjoyed the first very much though. Great games never the less!

I pick the first one mostly based on the region of the developer team rather tan gameplay, but, yeah, it is more tactical. Not really a fan of Bethesda or BioWare, have heard The Outer Worlds is amazing, but, I haven't really played it.

This is the only game I'm less familiar with, but each MMO, when they were once a popular thing had something to offer. I've played so many MMO's before because I loved the interactions I've had with my friends and partner in a Role-Playing manner that you can't feel in any other sub-genre.

Can't blame you, while WoW got really popular on US, this got extremely popular on Latin America, so, is not as known there. Funny story, I started playing the game, because my moderator team was going MIA, apparently, they got addicted to the game and never came back lmao, so, I tried it for myself; I still have contact with most of my guildmates from there, although we all moved to other games, and now we mostly play Lol every once in a while.

1 year ago

Diablo 2 is one of my fav for sure. I'm not good at picking favourites so let's just say that one

1 year ago

I think it's a solid pick. Did you play Diablo 3? And what's your thoughts on Diablo 4?

1 year ago

I only played the beta when it was coming out, it was good enough I thought but never tried it again. I have hopes for 4 at least.

1 year ago

I am not very good with the categories, so I will just list a few of my favorites from each decade. But I am an old geezer, so I will go back another decade... :D :D

1990-1999

1. Planescape: Torment (1999), 95/100. WRPG and SRPG, I guess?
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998), 94/100. JRPG and ARPG?
  3. Final Fantasy VIII (1999), 92/100. JRPG with a bit of SRPG?
  4. Final Fantasy VII (1997), 92/100. JRPG with a bit of SRPG?

2000-2009

1. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (2003), 94/100. WRPG and... SRPG?
  2. The World Ends With You (2007), 92/100. Nintendo DS. JRPG and ARPG.
  3. The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass (2007), 91/100. Nintendo DS, JRPG and ARPG.
  4. Guild Wars (2005), 91/100. MMO, WRPG and ARPG.
  5. Morrowind (2002), 91/100. WRPG and ARPG.

2010-2019

1. Mass Effect 2 (2010), 98/100. WRPG and ARPG.
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015), 96/100. WRPG and ARPG.
  3. Crypt of the Necrodancer (2015), 89/100. More or less WRPG and ARPG, though not even sure if it counts as a RPG.
  4. Ghost of a Tale (2017), 89/100. WPRG and ARPG.
  5. South Park: The Stick of Truth (2014), 89/100. It actually has all the structure of a JRPG, despite the western themes.
  6. The Banner Saga (2014), 89/100. WRPG and SRPG.

2020+

Well, not many played games here... The only two worth mentioning would be

1. Wasteland 3 (2020), 87/100. WRPG and SRPG.
  2. Loop Hero (2021), 83/100. WRPG and SRPG?
1 year ago*

I am not very good with the categories, so I will just list a few of my favorites from each decade. But I am an old geezer, so I will go back another decade... :D :D

I'm from the 90s, so I can understand, it's just I found it difficult to find anything I played as RPG's back in that period and I can't remember seeing much RPG's at that period except JRPGs.

Planescape: Torment (1999), 95/100. WRPG and SRPG, I guess?

This is considered a Classic RPG or WRPG by today's standards.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998), 94/100. JRPG and ARPG?

Although Zelda has been created in an anime looking way, I feel that it took a lot of inspiration from West. Overall, Zelda is an ARPG in my opinion, due to the fact that you're combat is more responsive.

Final Fantasy VIII (1999), 92/100. JRPG with a bit of SRPG?
Final Fantasy VII (1997), 92/100. JRPG with a bit of SRPG?

I've not played them, but generally from what I know Final Fantasy games are JRPG's in most scenarios, but do have the Turn-Base RPG's in them.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (2003), 94/100. WRPG and... SRPG?

Well yes, it's mainly Tactical like Mass Effect and Dragon Age if I'm not wrong.

The World Ends With You (2007), 92/100. Nintendo DS. JRPG and ARPG.

Never heard of this one. Looks like a JRPG from the first glance.

The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass (2007), 91/100. Nintendo DS, JRPG and ARPG.

You could say, but again, I believe they are somewhat inspired from the west, because it contains goblins, elves and other magical creatures described in the west.

Guild Wars (2005), 91/100. MMO, WRPG and ARPG.

Guild Wars is what you've said, that's correct. I've only played the 2nd one.

Morrowind (2002), 91/100. JRPG and ARPG.

Any of the Elder Scrolls in my opinion are WRPGs.

Mass Effect 2 (2010), 98/100. WRPG and ARPG.

I'd say yes, because they don't have as much Tactical Combat, but still retains some. It's a real mix between ARPG and S(T)RPG. Very confusing. I know! 😅

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015), 96/100. WRPG and ARPG.

Totally! I've not played it, but looks about that element. First one was a more traditional WRPG.

Crypt of the Necrodancer (2015), 89/100. More or less WRPG and ARPG, though not even sure if it counts as a RPG.

Seems like a mix of Roguelike and Tactical RPG, but you got the standard dungeon types, so I believe they are Roguelike.

Ghost of a Tale (2017), 89/100. WPRG and ARPG.

This looks to me like an classic Adventure game.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (2014), 89/100. It actually has all the structure of a JRPG, despite the western themes.

This is more or less a Turn-based RPG.

The Banner Saga (2014), 89/100. WRPG and SRPG.

Yes, that's correct.

Wasteland 3 (2020), 87/100. WRPG and SRPG.

Yes, mainly a SRPG. Very close to other Turn-Base games like Divinity Original Sin and a little bit of XCOM.

Loop Hero (2021), 83/100. WRPG and SRPG?

This screams to me more of a roguelike game.

Again, roguelike games are kinda a subcategory of RPG's, although throughout the years they have built their own identity and no longer are considered by many as a sub-category of RPG's because as RPG's they branch out into Tactical-Roguelike games, Action-Roguelike games and so forth.

Thank you for listing out awesome games. I like the nature of how you placed them. Easy to read, nice to follow as reference.

1 year ago

Ok, Morrowind was a huge typo... Agree, WRPG for sure. I even edited my post. :D

Ghost of a Tale... yes, it felt a lot like a Stealth-Action game, but it does have tons of RPG elements, so... it is hard to categorize it. This one really suprised me. :D

Cheers!

1 year ago

I guess I never really thought about RPG "categories" until now - my overall favorite RPG has been Final Fantasy X for the longest time, but after taking the plunge into Final Fantasy XIV Online it's actually just about to overtake it. So I guess those two would be my favorite entries when it comes to JRPGs and MMORPGs respectively. Staying in line with Final Fantasy titles, Final Fantasy Tactics is also an amazing strategy RPG and probably one of the best games ever made. (though not available on PC, sadly)

When it comes to RPGs made in the west it's pretty much down to the Elder scrolls series, Fallout series and Witcher series. Oblivion, Fallout: New Vegas and Witcher 3 are probably the standouts for me, really loved them - not sure I could pick one over another honestly. Kingdom Come: Deliverance was also a surprise hit for me, really loved how they tried to stick to realism whenever possible.

Not sure where it lands, but I also REALLY love Kenshi - I guess it's a sandbox/western/action/strategy RPG? Lol

Do games like Dark Souls or Nier: Automata count as Action RPGs? Hard not to mention them since they're absolutely exceptional games

I could probably fill an essay with RPG titles, they're far and away my favorite genre of games. I really enjoy immersing myself in a world and nothing does it better than a well made RPG.

1 year ago

I guess I never really thought about RPG "categories" until now - my overall favorite RPG has been Final Fantasy X for the longest time, but after taking the plunge into Final Fantasy XIV Online it's actually just about to overtake it. So I guess those two would be my favorite entries when it comes to JRPGs and MMORPGs respectively. Staying in line with Final Fantasy titles, Final Fantasy Tactics is also an amazing strategy RPG and probably one of the best games ever made. (though not available on PC, sadly)

I've not played a single Final Fantasy game and I kinda wanna experience it. Do you think I should get the remastered version from first to last and play them in order? I'm very confused. I don't wanna play the old ones, so jumping to remakes is fine by me if the story is the same.

When it comes to RPGs made in the west it's pretty much down to the Elder scrolls series, Fallout series and Witcher series. Oblivion, Fallout: New Vegas and Witcher 3 are probably the standouts for me, really loved them - not sure I could pick one over another honestly.

Quite true, but there's some iterations that contain similarities. Pretty much any RPG that contains western lore is more likely to take a WRPG approach in my opinion.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance was also a surprise hit for me, really loved how they tried to stick to realism whenever possible.

I believe Kingdom Come: Deliverance falls in between ARPG and a little bit on the SRPG (Strategy) because the overall combat is very complex and difficult to master. Excellent game never the less.

Not sure where it lands, but I also REALLY love Kenshi - I guess it's a sandbox/western/action/strategy RPG? Lol

Kenshi is a very mixed RPG. It's like Mount & Blade series. It's hard to place it in any category, because it borrows elements from so many genre's and subgenres. I'd think it's more of a Sanbox RPG, but it's really had to really call it just that.

Do games like Dark Souls or Nier: Automata count as Action RPGs? Hard not to mention them since they're absolutely exceptional games

Dark Souls definetly falls under the ARPG category. I don't know about Nier: Automata, because I feel by what it looks like it's more of a mix between Action-Adventure and JRPG's due to it's art design. I might be wrong, but it seems like it's harder on that element. Usually, RPG's are not so fast paced in combat as them, unless they are Action RPG's.

That's okay, you can share what you enjoy. That's the point of this thread. 😄

1 year ago

If you don't want to play the old games I think you could start from 7 up. I'm not sure on number 9 as I haven't heard to much about it but I know 7 is like the most fan favourite and then number 8. My personal favourite is number 10 as it was my 1st and its my favourite game of all time.

1 year ago

Just adding my +1 here -- I played FFs from I to IX. The Final Fantasy games with different numbers are set in different worlds altogether, so story-wise you do not lose much starting anywhere in the series. I mean, it is interesting to play them in order to see the evolution of the mechanics of the games, and many of them share come common themes, but if you do not want to spend too much time with the old ones, starting with the remake of VII sounds like a good plan.

(That said, I loved the stories, characters and soundtracks of V and VI... Damn, a few scenes in VI make me cry.)

1 year ago*

I've not played a single Final Fantasy game and I kinda wanna experience it. Do you think I should get the remastered version from first to last and play them in order? I'm very confused. I don't wanna play the old ones, so jumping to remakes is fine by me if the story is the same.

So the way Final Fantasy works is that despite the fact that they're numbered, they're not sequels - each game is its own story, taking place in its own world (with some exceptions, for example Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy Tactics technically take place in the same world, but at different time periods). So while playing them in order gives a nice sense of how the series has evolved, it's really not necessary - in fact I'd actually recommend skipping the early ones, since they're generally very basic as they originally came out on NES (and even the remasters haven't really added much to them, there's just not a whole lot to work with)

For me the series really begins with Final Fantasy 4 (I'll just use normal numbers for simplicity's sake) - that's where the games really start to have fleshed out stories and most importantly interesting characters. From that point onwards I'd say they're all worth playing - if I had to highlight some I find particularly good, FF6 (considered by many the absolute best in the series, also the last of the "classic" FFs), FF7 (probably what comes to mind when you think about Final Fantasy, the most popular one), FF9 (sort of flopped when it released, but now has a cult status) and my personal favorite, FF10. All remasters/remakes are generally quite good, however the most recent one for FF7 is really its own kind of beast. It's still worth playing, but I'd play the original FF7 first.

There are also a lot of non-numbered Final Fantasy games that are exceptional (like Final Fantasy Tactics which I mentioned) but I guess that's going a bit too off-topic.

The series sort of went off the rails with FF13 and FF15 - some people love them, most people tend not to. I'd look into them to see if they're the kind of thing that appeals to you but personally I would probably skip them.

Finally, the MMO entries: FF11 and FF14:

FF11 is pretty old at this point (it was the first console MMO! And also the first crossplatform game if I remember correctly) and still fairly active, however it's very much an MMO first and Final Fantasy second. Very hardcore kind of game, from an era before World of Warcraft when MMOs were just brutal. Also still requires an active subscription

FF14 is one of the most popular MMOs around at the moment, and honestly it's pretty great. Requires a subscription fee, however there's a free trial that includes the base game and the first expansion. The base game is...ok, but things really kick into gear from the first expansion onwards. What makes FF14 unique is that it's a Final Fantasy first, and MMO second - there's a huge focus on the actual RPG aspect of the game, and in fact by the latest expansion I feel it's become one of the best entries in the series. Recently they made a lot of the Main Story single-player friendly as well - you can choose to play the multiplayer content of it with AI controlled companions rather than other players

Could be worth giving it a shot even if MMOs aren't your thing, it's free after all

Aaaand that's it! Sorry for the wall of text lol, but I hope it was helpful

1 year ago*

Are you hyped for Kenshi 2?

1 year ago

Hell yeah! Hyped is underselling it, love the prequel nature of it as well since I find the world extremely fascinating - only problem is that it won't be out for a while

Kenshi is already a fantastic game that I could play forever (especially when you take into consideration the great modding community for it) but it is pretty janky and with its own share of issues - having a more polished sequel with added baseline features (dare I hope for boats or mounts?) is everything I could hope for

1 year ago

"WRPG" aka CRPG for the old folks.

1 year ago

+1

1 year ago

That's right. I could have made some correction there.

1 year ago

Just an FYI: Diablo 3 came out in 2012, not 2020+... So OP might want to fix that.

1 year ago

They don't have to be in the year of release related, so you can be like me and play Diablo III a decade later. So, let's get on with the list and remember that you're free to add as many games from that period as you like.

It's not a mistake, it was deliberate. I also mentioned it. I've not played Diablo 3 since the last two years lol. You didn't have to follow the same years, it was more of a "What's your favorite RPG of a decade?"

1 year ago

I've played many, many of the major mmorpgs between Everquest (1999) and SWTOR (2011). One that stands out was Dark Age of Camelot where my buddy and I played twin troll thanes who called down lighting storms from the sky - such fun we had. Another was the lesser known Star Wars Galaxies, which, unlike SW the Old Republic, actually felt like we were playing in the star wars universe - even the pvp aspect worked well - you aligned rebel or empire - which led to many interesting and entertaining encounters - especially at the Mos Eisley spaceport.

As for single player rpgs - many of the usual ones are favorites of mine as well: Planescape, Baldurs, Mass Effect, Dragon's Dogma, Fallout and heavily modded Skyrim (my favorite vampire game).

My favorite online multiplayer arpg is also a shooter. Borderlands, absolutely.

1 year ago

Another was the lesser known Star Wars Galaxies

<3

1 year ago

WRPG: I really love the Fallout series. Haven't tried 4, but I've heard it's alright. Especially if one likes light settlement building in their RPG shooters. Though that's more of an ARPG, I think.

Anachronox is also a good one, which I need to play through sometime soon. It's why I made a Good Old Games account, in fact. That and hoping they'd put other classics on their store. But mostly this. lol
I highly recommend checking it out now, because it's currently a dollar on Steam. I'll probably get another copy to give away here.

The Elder Scrolls are also great ones, with Oblivion being my most favorite of the series. Shivering Isles is my favorite part of that. The environment is gorgeous, and the story is incredibly engaging. I played this during a time of being offline, and had nothing to do but this. I could hardly put it down.

=====
JRPG: Dragon Warrior was one of my first and fondest memories of playing games with my sister. The whole series is kind of special, though I have yet to play any of the newer ones. Might want to do that!
Final Fantasy is also a good one. I have tons of fond memories of FF7, especially. I spent a long time strategizing on how to beat the gigantic gem Weapons. That was especially satisfying! I also had lots of fun going out of my way to explore every area available, getting everything I could.

=====
SRPG: Y'all know any good ones? I've yet to really play that genre. I've got Mass Effect in my backlog. It's stuck in there deep, however.

=====
ARPG: I really loved playing classic Diablo with my brother. In fact, I bought a copy of it for PlayStation, so we could play together. He wasn't one for computers at the time, so that was a nope. I also really love Torchlight, too. I need to try to get back into that. 😅

The Borderlands series is my absolute favorite ARPG. I've spent thousands of hours on them, and will probably spend thousands more once I get 3 and its DLCs, as well as the new Tiny Tina game. I love 'em that much. Looty shooty ftw!

=====
MMORPG: I don't like massively multiplayer anything. I've tried online games, and people are so unreliable. All those people seem like they'd be even more so.

1 year ago

MMORPG: I don't like massively multiplayer anything. I've tried online games, and people are so unreliable. All those people seem like they'd be even more so

I would recommend SWTOR because you can play a great deal of it on your own if you want, and the story is solid (developed by Bioware).

1 year ago

Closed 3 months ago by Vasharal.