Hi,

It has been a while since I've created a discussion, but to be honest, I've wanted to take a bit of a breather. Anyway, in today's discussion we're going to take a deep dive in the Role Playing Games. Role Playing Games are divided in subcategories, so I'm curious to know what has been your favorite games from decade to decade. They don't have to be in the year of release related, so you can be like me and play Diablo III a decade later. So, let's get on with the list and remember that you're free to add as many games from that period as you like.

After going over this I noticed I've not played any JRPG's. It's not that I've not liked them, but I've had little connection with them as a kid and grew to never try them I guess. If you have recommendations feel free to drop them.

Update: For those confused of what is what, I'll place an explanation:

WRPG

Western role-playing video games are role-playing video games developed in the Western world, including The Americas and Europe.
WRPG are heavily influence by lore from Western culture. You'll often find medieval influence, fantasy like Warcraft and Lord of The Rings.

JRPG

Japanese role-playing games tend to have a more linear story and a set cast of characters. They generally have a large number of enemy encounters and may require grinding in order to progress further into the game. Examples of this genre include Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII.

SRPG

• Some people known them as TRPG - don't confuse them with Simulation RPG, which may be a sub-genre mix of itself.

The tactical/strategy role-playing game subgenre principally refers to games which incorporate gameplay from strategy games as an alternative to traditional RPG systems. Like standard RPG, the player controls a finite party and battles a similar number of enemies, but this genre incorporates strategic gameplay such as tactical movement on an isometric grid. The genre has its origins in tabletop role-playing games, where each player has time to decide his or her characters' actions.

ARPG

The action role-playing game or action RPG is a type of role-playing video game which incorporates real-time combat as opposed to turn-based or menu-based, often borrowing elements from action games or action-adventure games. Some of the first action role-playing games were produced by Nihon Falcom in the 1980s, such as the Dragon Slayer series and Ys series. Later so-called "Diablo clones" are also part of this genre. Although the precise definition of the genre varies, the typical action RPG features a heavy emphasis on combat, often simplifying or removing non-combat attributes and statistics and the effect they have on the character's development. Additionally, combat always takes place using a real-time system (hence the "action") that relies on the player's ability to perform particular actions with speed and accuracy to determine success, rather than mainly using the player character's attributes to determine this.

This is my personal choice and only serves as example, so what's yours?

GAME TYPE 2000-2009 2010-2019 2020+
Western Role Playing Game (WRPG) Elder Scrolls Oblivion Elder Scrolls Skyrim None
Japanese Role Playing Game (JRPG) None None None
Strategy Role Playing Game (SRPG) Not Played Any Dragon Age Series & Mass Effect Series None
Action Role Playing Game (ARPG) Diablo II Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Diablo III
Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) Aion Guild Wars 2 None
1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you like to play RPGs? What subcategory is your favorite?

View Results
WRPG
JRPG
SRPG
ARPG
MMORPG
Other Genres

Strategy Role Playing Game (SRPG) Not Played Any Dragon Age Series & Mass Effect Series

Dragon Age and Mass Effect are TRPGs (Tactical RPGs). X-Com and Ogre Battle are generally considered to be the most visible examples of the SRPG genre. The strategy genre is generally exemplified by resource, political, overworld, or similar external management of logistics, while the tactics genre is exemplified with positioning a limited assortment of units within a limited battlefield. (These associations following the definitions and real world usages of the words "Tactics" and "Strategy".)

As a more straightforward consideration on the matter: If it seems similar to a Real-Time Strategy game, but has RPG elements, then it's probably an SRPG (regardless of whether it's real time or turn-based).

Your confusion on the association may actually be coming from something specific- in Japan, the SRPG label is instead used for "Simulation RPG", their equivalent to our TRPG label. In short, the acronym association is confusing, and could be argued, but the specific association of the word "Strategy" would be incorrect for Tactical RPGs either way.

1 year ago*

I gotta admit the SRPG and TRPG therm are confusing. I've seen them both surfacing online and basically considering them as one. I've updated the information about them that comes from Wikipedia. I know they are overall confusing, and I apologize if by any means I've made a mistake.

So the reason why I've classified them as Strategy Role Playing Games is because Strategy incorporates Tactics, which is a subgenre of Streategy, if that makes sense.

I do agree that Dragon Age and Mass Effect are TRPG's, but there would be no point placing both genres in there if one comes out of the other.

1 year ago*

1997 - 2000: Fallout 1-2, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment.
2001-2010: Baldur's Gate 2, Gothic 1-2, Dragon Age: Origins, Neverwinter Nights 1-2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, The Witcher 1, Mass Effect 1-2, TES IV: Oblivion (though I mostly enjoyed modding it and didn't finish the game itself, but The Dark Brotherhood questline is really good)
2011 - 2022: LISA the Painful (what a great game!), Ghost of a Tale, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Expeditions: Conquistador.

So, a pretty standard list, I would say.

p.s Currently playing Enderal: Forgotten Stories (a free-2-play total conversion mod for Skyrim) and really enjoying it, so it has a chance to be in my favorite RPG's list.
p.p.s Thanks for this thread, I am going to check it once in a while to see if I can find something interesting and new to me.

1 year ago*

WRPG Kingdom Come
JRPG Suikoden 5
Tactical-RPG Banner of the maid
ARPG Diablo 2

I don't know what is my favorite category, it's just that sometimes i like a game.
But for sure i love addictive diablo-like with plenty of loot !

1 year ago

Mass Effect trilogy is favourite of all times by a large margin (though I don't play that much RPGs). But man, when I play it I feel like this world is one of the most beautiful and attractive things ever created.

1 year ago

Well with that classification TRPG for me are the best.

I love to create different builds and test them and during turn based combat it is the best and easiest to test things and see how they work with each other.

1 year ago

I've played +11,000 hours in The Lord Of The Rings Online. That's my only and favourite MMO and MMORPG I've played.

My favourite RPG ever is a very old, musicless WRPG/TRPG called The Dark Heart Of Uukrul. Currently it's only on Gog.

1 year ago

Does Mount & Blade: Warband fall into the strategy RPG category? I rarely play RPGs but Warband is one of my all-time favourites. It has a good bit of strategy and kingdom building elements, especially with mods.

1 year ago

mostly this, though by now here would be more age appropriate.. yet still sometimes I find myself there
if only I could.. ; )

1 year ago

I don't play as many RPGs as much I should based on how I feel about the genre. I'm a disgrace

1 year ago

90s - Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII-IX, Suikoden 1 & 2 (all JRPGs)

2000s - Suikoden 5, Persona 3 FES, Lost Odyssey, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Second Chapter, I suppose, though FC and SC is basically all one big game) (all JRPGs), Mass Effect (WRPG/TRPG), Exit Fate (J-styled RPG (literally a Suikoden-like) by Western developer)

2010s - Mass Effect 2 (WRPG/TRPG/classic 360 over-the-shoulder shooter), Nier (Gestalt) (JRPG/ARPG), The Witcher 3 (WRPG), Yakuza 0 (JRPG/ARPG), Wooden Ocean & Undertale (hodgepodge of a bunch of things, but essentially experimental J-styled RPGs by eccentric Western developers)

2020s - Final Fantasy VII Remake (JRPG/ARPG), Shadow Fate (classic JRPG gameplay by Western developer)

I tried to narrow each decade down to half a dozen games; otherwise I'd just be prattling off an endless list of JRPGs. JRPGs of the style that major companies have largely moved away from seem to be my soft spot. Fortunately, I'm still finding plenty of new (and old, but new to me!) games to tide me over, especially in the one-person developed space, though there's obviously way more atrocious misses than there are hits when it comes to that niche.

1 year ago

Chrono Cross is the one in my heart. Sadly the Steam "port" doesn't make it justice.

1 year ago

Favorite? Arcanum - Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

1 year ago

Happy Cakeday!

1 year ago

1 year ago

Fantastic crpg game from great developer Troika (bankrupt), who made also other one of the best games ever Vampire Masquarade Bloodlines.

1 year ago

RPG is not a genre, it's a positive reinforcement, a praise, if you wish, or, the way it is now in the age of cynicism - a rephrase for a GOOD GAME. These "subgenres" are not helpful, even with the most dedicated dissection, you will never define what RPG means. If you want to go down that road - you would get to a conclusion that either every game is an RPG (muh role) or none are (where is my freedom to open an icecream stand?) taking any middle grounds is just trying to push "GOOD GAME" agenda.
with that being said - I just enjoy longer games with a bigger degree of immersion.

1 year ago

The "RPG" tag is so common that it's too broad to be of much use on its own, but its various permutations are absolutely helpful. Not helpful in the sense that everybody needs to learn their ins and outs -- just like in music, diving into niche subgenres is going to be an aggressively irrelevant exercise to most people -- but for those who're all about gettin' granular with it and want to explore a specific niche, most subgenres do narrow things down quite conveniently. Clearly someone who loves FF Tactics and wants a similar experience is going to get a more immediately accurate list of suggestions by sifting through a list of tactical RPGs than a list of assorted games that just so happen to be long and sorta immersive.

1 year ago

Right, can't argue with you here. But my useless rant (and more importantly a bait) was mostly about the general vibe around the word itself. And people going: "my favorite genre? RPG for sure!". When people are just trying to be specific, mostly in terms of finding something similar or even understanding what exactly they liked - I have no problems with that. I just kinda dislike that the word is being used in a broad way just to sound positive (and smart, duh) about something.

1 year ago

Above all genres, my personal favourite is Torment

1 year ago

There can be only one: Skyrim.

But if there were a second, it would be the saga (complete) of the Witcher.

1 year ago

Western Role Playing Game (WRPG) = Not play enough for vote (just try Skyrim)

Japanese Role Playing Game (JRPG) :
2000-2009 : Final Fantasy X
2010-2019 : Tales of Xillia
2020+ : Monster Sanctuary

Strategy Role Playing Game (SRPG) = Not my type of games

Action Role Playing Game (ARPG)
2000-2009 : Torchlight
2010-2019 : Darksiders II
2020+ : None

Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG)
2000-2009 : None
2010-2019 : Path of Exile
2020+ : None

1 year ago

wrpg: Fallout 2
jrpg: Fallout 2
srpg: Fallout 2
arpg: Fallout New Vegas, 'Skyrim' (so freaking modded pc barely runs, if it counts)

mmo: None, unless warframe counts

Joking aside the list above is actually kinda acurate. Before that some caveats:
srpg\arpg vs wrpg is kinda strange separation. Like if its turn based on a grid or not, real time or not etc are more like subgenres of rpgs. So fallout being turn based and party based would fall into srpg- but its the best rpg ive ever played so...

Jrpgs... i own a bunch, played a bunch but none really took hold. Barely finished a few, like ff8 i think. Did i really finish it tough? I cant remenber, i got very far but i may be mistakenly taking my friend finishing it with me finishing it.
Many have neat ideas, love some of the crazy imagination some titles can bring but... jesus why they love padding and grinding so much? Why artifially inflate and complicate mechanics, with huge numbers for no reason? Why ruin good plots with out of the blue deus ex machinas, loli waifus and whatnot? 90% the story and script are bad imo when not so annoying or shallow it hinders the fun im having with gameplay- the other 10% with promise ruin things in some way, be it grind (so i never got the end of their stories), complete nonsensical 180 in the stories and so on...

and most importantly- they barely hit the rpg definition imo. Creating a character... rarely present. Meaningful choices? absent. The list goes on.
Im frustrated tough because i WANT to like then. I try. Dragon quest XI was the closest to a favorite to me for its charm, but the story is predictable beat to beat, no choices, etc. Nino kuni 1-2, amazing fun premise and art and interesting world on both... but then comes grind, empty world etc...
I think id really dig FF tactics BUT i never had a playstation, by the time i had a pc that could run emulators it was old and other games took precedence

Rpgs are my favorite genre, im a mad fan of tabletop rpgs and theyre my favorite genre digitally too. And i have a bunch of titles i love and hold close to heart, including less know ones (for instance i love the Drakensang series, Drakensang and River of time)
...yet none trumped fallout 2 to me, to this day
Witcher 3, Drakensang, Deus Ex, Arcanum, heavily modded skyrim, modded bethesda fallouts, serpent in the staglands, dragon quest, venetica, dragon age 1, mass effect 1-2, planescape torment... all on my top list and beloved
But everytime i put then besides fallout 2 they lose the first spot.

Witcher 3 came close tough. But then no character creation and the amount of freedom and meaningful choices still comes short to fallout 2

PS: i probably played more fallout 3, new vegas and skyrim then fallout 2, eventually i got tired of replaying f2 and modding is a whole other beast. But i always feel bad listing those titles- with the exception of new vegas bethesda games were some of my most hated and disapointed titles. I only ever got to then by 'fixing' and changing everything via mods, and still 50% of the game remained bland (the majority of quests and so on from the base game)

1 year ago

I loved some entries of the Ultima series and the first Underworld title, pity EA ruined the franchise and now the copyright is lost somewhere in limbo between them and Richard "Spaceman" Garriott. Would otherwise be prime material for remakes.

1 year ago

"Role Playing Game" is such a vague-ass genre. If you're playing a game, any game where your actions can be said to be performed by someone or something which can conceivably be called a character, then you are "Role Playing". Like for example I don't think anyone would call the Devil May Cry games RPGs but you are role-playing as whoever are the playable characters in each of them (so, mostly Dante). And adding an extra word at the start (or letter in the abbreviation) doesn't help much either. While JRPG/WRPG are mutually excluding and SRPG/ARPG are (usually... I mean, you marked Mass Effect as a Strategy RPG...) also mutually excluding, there is plenty of overlap between the categories otherwise. In the above example, if DMC would be considered an RPG, would it be a JRPG (because it's by a Japanese company) or a ARPG (because it's an action game).

Anyways, over-analysing video game genres aside, I guess I'll just mark CrossCode as my current favourite ARPG (and WRPG...) and Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 V Generation as my current favourite JRPG (and SRPG...). At least those are (mostly) unambiguous... right? :D
(There is absolutely no way I'm looking through all the games I've played throughout the years and trying to remember which exact decade I played each of them or trying to decide if they count as RPGs or not. So I cannot fully perform your request, sorry. :X )

1 year ago*

Xenogears

1 year ago

Final Fantasy Tactics

1 year ago

I am a fan of Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO). It is definitely western, the combat is real-time, and it is a MMORPG. A hat trick with one game. :D

1 year ago

Looks like you mixed western crpg into wrpg and srpg, so games like baldurs gate/fallout, pathfinder would be in wrpg or srpg? In this mix those two categories would be my favorite. PS - Disco Elysium is a narrative rpg, i finished it recently having high expectation from it before playing and this game fulfilled them (my only wish it could be longer, but they worked for years on it nevertheless).

1 year ago

Looks like you mixed western crpg into wrpg and srpg, so games like baldurs gate/fallout, pathfinder would be in wrpg or srpg?

WRPG apperently are a terminology that is more accepted accross, and somewhat consideres the CRPG's as part of it. I might be wrong at this, because I feel that Classic RPG's are a broader look. SRPG are the Japanese form of Strategy RPG and not Simulation RPG. So, what I mean by that is that sometimes it gets to be known as TRPG, as turn-base RPG. But makes more sense to call them Strategy Role-Playing Games because turn-base is a sub-genre of Strategy, therefore, I'd say SRPG is kinda correct.

Baldur's Gate and Fallout represent as CRPG, later known as WRPG's. The same goes for Pathfinder.

1 year ago

I haven't played many games, pretty new to steam actually. Started actively playing games on steam around 2020.

So far witcher 3 is still my favorite, the empty feeling when I finished the main game, I still can't forget it... (So happy when I met NPC again in the DLC) The story writing, the battle/gameplay, voice acting & music, and the atmosphere & graphics are top-notch. Finishing this game feels like finishing a good novel I've got too attached to the character and feel empty because of it. Oh, I can go on and on about this, but well I should stop.

Runner Up: Divinity Original Sins 2, Dark Souls 3, and Stardew Valley (literally other game I played, that make me hooked up)

Still expanding and searching for more gold tho, so this thread really help me eyeing some prized games out there to play and experience. Recommendation is welcome ofc.

1 year ago

WRPG - Skyrim
JRPG - Persona 4 [ Probably Persona 5 in october :) ]
SRPG - Pillars of Eternity
ARPG - Path of Exile
MMORPG - I don't like this genre, but I have a lot good memories from Runescape 2007-2012

1 year ago

Path of Exile, that's a really good and long one, love it

1 year ago

Closed 3 months ago by Vasharal.