Hi,

It has been a while since I've created a discussion, but to be honest, I've wanted to take a bit of a breather. Anyway, in today's discussion we're going to take a deep dive in the Role Playing Games. Role Playing Games are divided in subcategories, so I'm curious to know what has been your favorite games from decade to decade. They don't have to be in the year of release related, so you can be like me and play Diablo III a decade later. So, let's get on with the list and remember that you're free to add as many games from that period as you like.

After going over this I noticed I've not played any JRPG's. It's not that I've not liked them, but I've had little connection with them as a kid and grew to never try them I guess. If you have recommendations feel free to drop them.

Update: For those confused of what is what, I'll place an explanation:

WRPG

Western role-playing video games are role-playing video games developed in the Western world, including The Americas and Europe.
WRPG are heavily influence by lore from Western culture. You'll often find medieval influence, fantasy like Warcraft and Lord of The Rings.

JRPG

Japanese role-playing games tend to have a more linear story and a set cast of characters. They generally have a large number of enemy encounters and may require grinding in order to progress further into the game. Examples of this genre include Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII.

SRPG

• Some people known them as TRPG - don't confuse them with Simulation RPG, which may be a sub-genre mix of itself.

The tactical/strategy role-playing game subgenre principally refers to games which incorporate gameplay from strategy games as an alternative to traditional RPG systems. Like standard RPG, the player controls a finite party and battles a similar number of enemies, but this genre incorporates strategic gameplay such as tactical movement on an isometric grid. The genre has its origins in tabletop role-playing games, where each player has time to decide his or her characters' actions.

ARPG

The action role-playing game or action RPG is a type of role-playing video game which incorporates real-time combat as opposed to turn-based or menu-based, often borrowing elements from action games or action-adventure games. Some of the first action role-playing games were produced by Nihon Falcom in the 1980s, such as the Dragon Slayer series and Ys series. Later so-called "Diablo clones" are also part of this genre. Although the precise definition of the genre varies, the typical action RPG features a heavy emphasis on combat, often simplifying or removing non-combat attributes and statistics and the effect they have on the character's development. Additionally, combat always takes place using a real-time system (hence the "action") that relies on the player's ability to perform particular actions with speed and accuracy to determine success, rather than mainly using the player character's attributes to determine this.

This is my personal choice and only serves as example, so what's yours?

GAME TYPE 2000-2009 2010-2019 2020+
Western Role Playing Game (WRPG) Elder Scrolls Oblivion Elder Scrolls Skyrim None
Japanese Role Playing Game (JRPG) None None None
Strategy Role Playing Game (SRPG) Not Played Any Dragon Age Series & Mass Effect Series None
Action Role Playing Game (ARPG) Diablo II Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Diablo III
Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) Aion Guild Wars 2 None
1 year ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do you like to play RPGs? What subcategory is your favorite?

View Results
WRPG
JRPG
SRPG
ARPG
MMORPG
Other Genres

Happy Cake Day, Vasharal :)

1 year ago

Thank you! 🎂🍰

1 year ago

Happy cake day :D
For JRPG, besides Final Fantasy series, I recommend Grandia series, especially Grandia II which got one of the best turn-based fighting system, you don't have to grind much for high level to beat the boss if you plan well during the fight.

1 year ago

Happy cakeday!

1 year ago

Closed 3 months ago by Vasharal.