A friend showed me this this morning: apparently somebody is giving away a $1000 Steam gift card. The site I'm linking you to is The Escapist, I believe they have a good reputation, so I take it this is on the level. Anyhow, you can enter with just an e-mail address (though read the restrictions bellow). I figured people on here would be very interested.

Things to note:

1. Apparently the data goes to an outfit called StackCommerce. So you'll get signed up for their newsletter and might get other unwanted e-mails. (It might be a good reason to use one of your alts.)
  2. According to the fine print residents of Austria, China, Czech Republic, France, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Russia, South Korea, Spain, and Taiwan are not eligible to enter or win. Sorry folks. (I rearranged those to put 'em in alphabetic order.)
  3. As is common, you must be at least 21 to enter.
  4. You must be human. I figure that won't be a problem for most...
8 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

EDIT: I'm very sorry. The infraction was not purposeful, I'd just completely forgotten that the rules said anything about this. Had I thought about it in advance I'd probably have known better (since what forum would want the kind of spam posting ref links would generate?).

Thank you for bringing this to my attention before I got into serious trouble. I have, of course, fixed the link. I think it's still worth people knowing about.

8 years ago*

No, might as well is still against the rules.

8 years ago

Good catch. I'm very sorry about that. I removed my code from the link.

8 years ago*

uh, nope. Remove it now, please.

Referral links are not allowed in the community, and if you choose to post a link, please be sure all referral codes have been removed.

8 years ago

I'm very sorry. I screwed this up. I've fixed the link now. (I'd simply forgotten about that rule. Given that I've never used ref codes before I didn't pay much attention to that part I guess. But upon reflection I see why a site would disallow that. I should have reflected.)

8 years ago

It's cool, I saw your reply the first time, don't sweat it. You did remove it when asked, all's good :)

8 years ago

Yeah, my first reply sounded grumpy when I reread it, so I fixed that too. :)

8 years ago

You should delete this. Ref-links are not allowed here...

8 years ago

I deleted the link. Sorry I'd forgotten that rule. But I left the post up--I figure people will still want to know about it.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

8 years ago

Genuinely, I'm sorry. That this was a rule here skipped my mind (possibly because I've never used a ref link in my life prior to today). I've fixed it, and I hope folks aren't too angry about my mistake.

8 years ago

View attached image.
8 years ago

You are, of course, correct. I have removed my code. Please enjoy the link nonetheless.

8 years ago

Na live in France, but thanks for sharing =) !

8 years ago

A www ... Didn't see the note about spam until after I entered... :(

8 years ago

Residents of Taiwan, South Korea, Portugal, Italy, Austria, China, Russia, Hong Kong, Greece, France, Japan, Spain, and Czech Republic are not eligible to enter or win.

Here goes my dream of cleaning my WL. XD

8 years ago

Sorry about that. I'll add that to my post so that others hopes are not similarly dashed.

8 years ago

I haven't read the guidelines fully, but it also requires you to be at least 21 years old.

8 years ago

What? :O I already entered. :(

8 years ago

You...evolved. @_@

8 years ago

Just read the rules. Yes, you're "signing up for the StackCommerce newsletter (or its affiliated sites)."
And you have to be at least 21 and can't participate if you're a resident "of Taiwan, South Korea, Portugal, Italy, Austria, China, Russia, Hong Kong, Greece, France, Japan, Spain or Czech Republic." But I don't have a clue why these countries aren't allowed. What do they have in common? O.o

8 years ago

currency not a dollar

8 years ago

but countries like the UK and Australia can enter and they don't use USD

8 years ago

Those countries have been ineligible for most Stack network giveaways for as far as I can remember :)

8 years ago

$1000

rich ;_;

View attached image.
8 years ago

I like how Misty point her feet up at the last second.

8 years ago

Argh, I already entered and I'm Greek. -_-

8 years ago

If I win and they tell me that I can't get the steam card because I'm Greek, then I'll seriously eat my arms along with mustard. :B

8 years ago

Eww you would eat mustard?Nasty

8 years ago

Well, without mustard, arms are a bit tasteless. Don't ask me how I know that. >_>

8 years ago

lol here i was waiting for someone to question why i thought mustard was nasty but nothing about eating arms lol...

Well i am sure i can get an idea how you might know that but i will leave it at that lol

8 years ago

That would be frustrating. I reorganized the information in my post so it's easier to see what countries are excluded.

(By the way, I like you av. Here in the USA not many people know Lucky Luke.)

8 years ago

And I can't remove my entry now. :( Pffff, I should have read the rules in the site. :P Americans don't know about Lucky Luke? o.O HOW DO YOU DARE, AMERICANS? :O

8 years ago

It was hard to find the comics here. I think a lot of people never saw any. I was lucky, and our local library had one volume. (It was the same with Asterix, which I also enjoyed.)

8 years ago

But why? In Greece, a big variety of comics were translated and sold everywhere. We had Lucky Luke, Tiramolla, Asterix and Obelix, a big variety of Disney comics, etc. We had a lot of older ones too, like Blek, Tintin, etc., but I'm not that old to remember them all. :P You should check the work of EsseGesse.
Here's a picture too:

View attached image.
8 years ago

I checked Amazon just now, and it looks like I can now get a lot of this stuff in translation, which is pretty cool. I'll have to run some down. (I remember with Asterix there were better and worse translations. Of course it's hard to translate jokes, especially word play, and so the different versions would sometimes have completely different jokes.)

Tintin is one that actually was common here. Most libraries had a lot of the series. As a kid I and my brothers loved Tintin.

8 years ago

Bad translations? Aren't professionals usually translating them? I mean, they know how to translate, right? ;P I'm sure you can find a lot of sites nowadays to buy digital comics, but if you want a physical copy of some comics, I assume that you can find them in comic stores (comic stores are in America, right?).

8 years ago

Oh yes, of course. There are pretty good comic shops here. But only the really big ones would have these since they'd be considered a bit niche. Most of what they stock is superhero comics.

And the translations were technically accurate. But I just meant that some people were better than others at bringing the humor across. So I read some that were translated back in, I think, the 60s or 70s, and they were hysterical. On the other hand I read some translated more recently, and they were much less funny.

8 years ago

Wtf didnt even know $1000 gift cards existed.

8 years ago

Do they? I thought SW limit was $500 (or even 400).

8 years ago

Perhaps they're giving away two $500 cards, or some such? I guess it doesn't actually say that the reward will be in the form of a single card anywhere.

8 years ago

337,.. euro is the max

8 years ago

No it isn't, atleast not in the steam wallet, I had 350 euro before this year (that was the limit) and this year I had over 387 euro already.

8 years ago

It's ~440 I think

8 years ago

Thats very much possible.

8 years ago

i think the biggest one is 200$ so prolly would be 5 of them

8 years ago

yes

8 years ago

In the general rules it clearly states 1 gift card with a value of approximately 1000 dollar.
So I think I can clear my wishlist in a few weeks :)

8 years ago

For once my country is not among the ineligible.

8 years ago

1000$?????? BAD RATS FOR ALL!!!!!!!

8 years ago

Isn't anybody worried about the fact that they demand the password for the email account, be it an alt or not?!

8 years ago

No! Don't give that. They're asking for a new password to set up an account on their site. They ARE NOT asking for your existing password (and it's a bad idea to reuse it multiple places).

8 years ago

Thanks for explaining. I never use the same password twice, at least not for important stuff.

8 years ago

Man that being human condition is so Racist!! What about Martians, klingons and other gaming communities. I am so upset ;-)

8 years ago

Given the nature of our community, I was more worried about AIs. :)

8 years ago

They you are forgiven buddy ;-)
May the force be with you!!

8 years ago

You must be human. I figure that won't be a problem for most...

View attached image.
8 years ago

View attached image.
8 years ago

Who does not know about TheEscaist's Zero Punctuation and its loveable Australian satirist?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqg5FCR7NrpvlBWMXdt-5Vg

8 years ago

There is no 1000$ Gift card ...
Its just mail Phishing that gona end up with even more spam on the emails of the poor folks who sign up for this .

The winner will be Ahmed Khasfjk from Trinidad & Tobago or some shit as usual ...

8 years ago

there is also a limit on wallet funds , that's already a big red flag

8 years ago

It doesn't say it will be delivered as a lump sum or on a single card. That would indeed be fishy.

As I said, I can't personally vouch for it, but I don't think Escapist is a fly-by-night outfit either, and they've opted to run it through their own website.

8 years ago

Austria, China, Czech Republic, France, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Russia, South Korea, Spain, and Taiwan
Central and South Europe, part of Asia, Russia...Who has chosen the countries? A drunken monkey?

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.