Recently I won Burning Man: Beyond Black Rock, I've activated it and received 2 gift copies of it with that activation, am i allowed to gift those or should I just send them to my friend or something like that?

Edit: While not being fully solved (due to both sides having valid points i've decided to give it away via the comment and random.org, so excluding the comments that were there to answer my question, 1 comment per user)
Good luck ^^

8 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

You can gift them, no problem at all.

8 years ago

I thought that if you get something free then you can't gift it in steamgifts....

This was received free so he wouldn't be able to set up as gift on steamgifts then....; right??

8 years ago

Only ones that were free due to a promotion or pricing bug according to the FAQ, this doesn't technically count, does it?

Edit: Actually that's the part about requirements for registration.. XD Guess you're right then

Edit 2: Here's the passage from the guidlines section for creating giveaways:
"Beta keys, guest passes, coupons, and free games should not be given away."
so that does kind of count then...

8 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

8 years ago

As Rashald says, only if a game is given away for free in the thousands or if SG decides differently.

Edit: If not I stand corrected.

8 years ago

You are allowed to give away any extra copies after you activated yours. Though sometimes giveaway creators can wish them back if they specifically mentioned that, though it's not something that can be required.

8 years ago

Two conditions for making giveaways:

1) The game must be in the giveaway drop down list. Burning Man: Beyond Black Rock is.
2) The game must be redeemable in steam. Your gift copies are.

You're free to make giveaways for them!

8 years ago

The issue is it was part of something he won here. It can feel bit like regift gray area.

But I agree he's free to gift it, since he activated game he won.

8 years ago

Yea, I didn't notice that at first, and I agree that contacting the creator is the better option. However, as far as rules are concerned, he's free to do with them what he will.

Anyway, they have already contacted each other and at least one of the extra copies is going back to the creator, so all is well.

8 years ago

If i were you, i would contact the giveaway creator and give it back. But i'm a strange guy that thinks that's the right thing to do :D
Anyway you can do with that extra copy whatever you want.

8 years ago

+1.
I think giving it back is the right thing to do.

8 years ago

That is not strange, he should give it back, at least ask him about it.

8 years ago

Oh, I didn't realize that it was won on here. I suppose contacting the giveaway creator about it would be the right thing to do. They may not care!

8 years ago

+1 He just stated in the comment below that he or she didn't know about the extra copies. I don't think there's a rule saying that you can't give them away yourself, but the right thing to do is to at least offer to send them back.

8 years ago

Why? Creator gave away a key that activates two copies. The intention was to gift the double-pack, why should the winner send half of it back? And if they didn't know about it, then obviously they didn't care about the gift enough to look up this information.

8 years ago

This is a special promotion. It's registered here as one copy.

8 years ago

Well then… it is still totally up to the winner. He got the gift, it is his now. One could say that sending back the extra one could be considered a more ethical approach, although not necessarily "the" ethical one.

8 years ago

Hahaha I would be damn. I didn't know about the extra copy. I would of activated it myself. Oh well

8 years ago

Would you like the extra copies back?

8 years ago

sure if you don't mind, I would like a copy to add to my account. the other copy is up to you.

But is all up to you, no hard feeling if you want to keep them, as you did win the giveaway fair and square so what you do with it, is totally up to you

8 years ago

Added you :)

8 years ago

thanks. now i have to buy popcorn

8 years ago

I notice if you go an create a copy to gift on here the icon has on it that you also get 2 gift copies to give away...

So I wouldnt think you could do it because the copy you are giving away doesn't include two gift copies to give away and thus it's not true advertising of what your giveaway contains or actually yours wouldnt contain two extra give aways...

8 years ago

Technically what matters is the name, not the icon, so gifting the copy that doesn't include the extra gift copies is totally fine.

8 years ago

+1.
And that is a special promotion as I understand. So it will get back to the normal image eventually.
But I do think it's the right think to do to give them back. Or at least contact the creator and ask about it.

8 years ago

Good point. Had to amend my own reply after seeing that.

8 years ago

Can you make giveaways for them? Yes.
Should you make giveaways for them? That's up to you.
Should you return them to the creator? That's also up to you.

You won them, they come as part of the gift. What you do with them is up to you, as they're yours now.

I take that back -- after reading jeffhowe's comment above and checking it myself, it does appear that the two extra copies are part of the gift (purchase price), and for you to gift those extra copies, you're also responsible for delivering the +2 free copies per gift, since it's listed right on the giveaway itself (as well as the store page).

8 years ago*

+1
+1
+1
+1!!

8 years ago

I suppose there is room for interpretation here, but I do not think it is against the rules to gift them. The title matches, and the extra gift copies right now are just a special promotion. Perhaps add in the description that it will not come with the 2 extra copies to be nice, but I see no problem with making a giveaway for the extra copies.

8 years ago

I'm not seeing where it says anything about being a special promotion on the store page ... it looks to me like you get three copies for one purchase price. If you're getting CV for the one purchase, then the whole purchase should be delivered.

8 years ago

Here

Also, since it's from a bundle, and only 2 dollars, the cv you get from it is minuscule. (It's not in the bundle list now, but it will be, as it's part of one currently)

8 years ago

Ah, OK, I was looking for something a little more prominent on the page.
In this case then, I'd probably gift them to Steam friends, or at least wait until the promotion is over to create giveaways for them.

8 years ago

I totally respect that, and I actually feel very similarly. I'm just arguing rules interpretation and not necessarily personal opinion :P

8 years ago

Yeah, I was brought up with the adage "If you have to ask if something is right or wrong, then it's probably wrong." :X
Like you said, the CV is minimal anyway, so it doesn't really matter what OP does with the extras. :)

8 years ago

Well, on sg you need to provide the game you're giveawaying. Just one copy for a winner. If there is a special promo like this, you still need to provide one copy that the winner will activate. If you want two copies just buy it for yourself. For me it is obvious that the giveaway creator just need to give one copy to the winner, even if there is a promo like that. But that's what i think, not everyone needs to agree with me.

8 years ago

Again, I'm not seeing where it says this is a special promotion on the store page ... Cryptic pointed it out.

EDIT: http://www.steamgifts.com/go/comment/5u3Z20z

8 years ago*

Nope, that's not how it works.

8 years ago

Thanks for your brilliant insight.

8 years ago

For future reference, when you get extra copies after activating a game they are tied to your region so if you are in a restricted region those extra copies are also restricted.

8 years ago*

You seem to have sparked quite the conversation, friend!

8 years ago

Yes.

/thread

(Close it and stop wasting peoples keystrokes.)

8 years ago

let this keystroke be wasted!

8 years ago

You have them so you can gift them as far as I know

8 years ago

I think you should gift a copy to jeffhowe, for being the most helpful/accurate

8 years ago

Yes