Hello! :) I recently got a prebuilt PC for really cheap. I figured, since it was cheap, I could buy it and just upgrade some of the parts if need be. But truth be told, I'm not very knowledgeable about these things... I just know some basic stuff... Hence why I'm posting here, in hopes of getting responses from people who know better than me.

• Intel i3-6100 3.7 GHz Dual Core
  • ASUS H110M-D Motherboard
  • Palit GTX 1050 Ti
  • Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2133MHz)
  • WD 1TB Hard drive
  • PNY 240GB SSD
  • Thermaltake 550W power supply

I'd like to ask how would the PC's performance be in theory, and which ones I should upgrade or if I should upgrade at all? I guess in general I just want a rig that is balanced (i.e, none of the parts bottlenecking the performance) and can run most games decently. (For reference, I think the heaviest games that I own are Rust, MHW, DS3, Dragon's Dogma, and Fallout 4, so maybe something that can run those?) I can make do with low-med graphic settings.

Edit: I think I should mention I just need something that'd probably last me at least around 2-3 years or so. Just enough for me to find a job after I (hopefully) graduate university in October and save up for a new PC. :)

Edit #2: Okay, so I have another question. Will adding another HDD or SSD affect the PC's performance? Like, will it add load to the system and cause it to slow down, or will the additional memory not affect it at all? I did search it up before typing it here, but I'm not sure which is correct since I saw different answers. ;-; I used to think adding another drive would make it slower since the processor has to load up more stuff, but some of the things I read said it won't affect speed so now I'm not sure what to think. Thanks in advance to whomever will answer my question! :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who'll bump and/or answer my inquiry! Here's a train (+derailed cart) as thanks for reading. :)

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Hi, my advice is to keep it as it is since you do not mind Med/Low settings to run your games for 2-3 yrs. Save your money for after grad so you'll not have to rush to find work due to savings. Its a really decent build imo, adding anything to it at this point seems pointless imo.

Recently in March, I bought a custom-built PC: i7-8700K,16GB, RTX2070, SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 NVME, 2TB HDD. Which can last me awhile. Adding a Sata SSD is good for your build, 500GB or better which you may use it for Secondary drive in future. I use the EVO SSD for booting and the main game I want to play. Basically, as others had mentioned, its basically booting the OS faster, some system updates are faster too. Game wise, its not any faster but perhaps saving progress is faster. Overall you still benefit if even its just faster system updates. Installations to the drive is faster too.

As mentioned by @talgaby getting an i5 is maxed for you but you probably be able to find a CPU+MB combo easily, still its a waste imo. For future proofing the i9 is the best now, i7, the chip I selected is pretty popular, I like it due to the amount of threads it has. Then GPU which is the RTX, I actually wanted a 1070TI but since its custom-built, the manufacturer does not have that option. 2-3yrs is a good time to cook for RTX to see if there's a next batch of RTX out. My previous PC it way worse with 2GB RAM and GTX220 graphics but I've been using it for 5-7yrs and still using it to browse the internet and connected it to a Smart TV to watch programs.

I say you got a great deal and you managed so sell the mouse to my surprise since most people will get a new one, a simple one will not cost more than $20. The deal is so good I suspect the machine isn't working well, hahaha. Or perhaps the person is a great friend of yours and cant be bothered. You can still use this PC in future for streaming like place it in the living room for youtube etc on an old TV.

If you're not keen on building your own PC in future, I suggest you getting from your local Custom-Built PC manufacturer like myself. Standard warranty is 3yrs so anything that happens in 3yrs is covered and you just need to call and ask for help. You can also ask someone you know like the person you bought this PC from to build but when any issues arise its troublesome and getting replacement parts. It costs more to buy from a manufacturer and they use cheaper parts to get more profits but if you are willing you can negotiate, to purchase from the suppliers or you can buy your own parts and ask them to build it for you. All in all its hassle-free.
Cheers, Cruse~

4 years ago

I think I might just do that. :) The only likely upgrade I'll do is another RAM stick, and even that I'm still on the fence about.

I bought it in a university bidding platform. A big chunk of our uni's students are /very/ rich (in contrast, I'm a university scholar so I gotta be very pragmatic ;-;) and can't be bothered, so it wasn't a surprise to see a bargain on things there. Plus, I figured it most likely wouldn't be a scam since I can easily hunt them down if need be, haha! It's also how I managed to sell the mouse and how I plan to sell the kb as well, since I know people who are well off and are willing to spend for high-end PC peripherals.

That's a pretty nice build. :o And I like that idea. I haven't thought about that since I'm not sure if we have someone who does custom-built PCs professionally here, but I can probably ask my friends if they know someone for future reference.

Solid advice. Thank you so much! :)

4 years ago

I would strongly recommend getting 16GB of RAM - I see it as the current minimum to avoid issues. There are already games that will use that much, and that will perform poorly if you don't have that much memory. Just Cause 3 and Forza Horizon 3 are a couple examples of ones I've run across - great performance with 16GB of RAM, and stuttering or crashing on an identical PC with only 8GB.

I would also urge you to step up to a 4-core CPU, even a 4 core i3 would do. Games already utilize 4 cores, and that's only going to increase as all the multi-platform games are built around 4+ core CPUs.

4 years ago

I see. I think I'll ask around how much the HyperX Fury is going for in our area and probably add another one then. About the CPU, though, I might not upgrade yet until I encounter problems when playing, since processor prices are really steep compared to other parts. Thanks for the advice! :)

4 years ago

That's surprising. In the US an i3-9100F 4-core can be had for $90, actually $30 less than the i3-6100 you have picked out. And since you're going to be using a discrete video card anyway, the 9x00F line of processors is perfect for you as they're about 25% cheaper than the non-F ones.

Even a 6-core i5-9400F is only $150 here.

4 years ago

Ah, an uni platform, that actually seems a great place to buy and sell. Try picking up a good monitor too if there's a chance. If you like faster response time, then a 1ms Monitor. I actually wanted to get one but I ended up getting one from manufacturer because I ended up getting a Vacuum cleaner from a PC Fair hahaha who would had guessed. I got a 27" tbh, its too big, I have issues with it since I'm shortsighted. I think 24" is a good size. You dont need to go too big for gaming because certain games like puzzles, hidden objects will miss out on details if the screen is too big. Of course, you'll enjoy a much better experience in future after the technology pans out more with RTX.

Imo, there's no need for the RAM make do with 8GB, just dont try to multitask. If you game, dont browse, if you browse, dont game and that 8GB should last. Also keep the machine clean it should run well for a few yrs at least. I tell you that but my old PC is dirty but still runs. /Shrug hahaha.

I read you're in SouthEast Asia? I live in Singapore so basically there a few PC companies here. There are 2 competing brands right now, Aftershock , DreamCore . Initially, I wanted to buy from Aftershock which is a more established brand but I do not like their customer service as they seem to grow large and lacking in personal interaction so I chose DreamCore instead and it runs pretty well. I also have an option of going to a local IT Mall where there are tons of shops that sells IT parts where they usually provide building services sometimes free, sometimes for a fee. I could also go to a repair shop that I purchase all the parts myself then ask them to fix it up for me for a fee and of course any problems I'll go to them. There are also alot of part-time Custom PC builders out there but like I mentioned in my previous post contacting them might be a hassle. There are also world-wide PC builders like Origin/CyberPowerPC but the Prices for the same build I had can be doubled due to shipping/hardware costs and also customer service will be hindered due to location. I wanted to name Alienware/Dell but they are not really custom PC builders.

I checked you tried playing SeVeN, for games taking more resource from your system, I recommend trying to go from Low/Med settings then gradually go up, check if graphics is flickering or tearing, that you know is a sign its not taking too well. I saw your screenshot of LiS, it seems good. 1050TI should handle them on Med well imo. Monster Hunter wise, games of that genre when you constantly have action over a course of 5-15mins I suggest on going Med settings. Games like LiS more story-telling/cinematics games, you can try higher settings.
Regards~

4 years ago

I think I have a decent monitor right now. I have a 21.5" LED monitor and I already think it's bigger than I need. 😂 Or maybe I'm just used to tiny screens. (My last PC years ago had a 17" screen and my current laptop has a 15" screen 😅)

I'm from a different country in SEA but I checked out the two. They have pretty good builds, I'm envious. ;-; There are only a few places one can decently buy PC parts from around here. Most have overpriced stuff or don't have any parts that aren't that much well known... :^( Maybe in the future I can find someone who does custom builds here, or I'll order from an international one.

Thank you! :)

4 years ago

I can understand areas that do not have a localized PC parts market. If you are planning to get the PC in 2-3yrs time it might be good to start looking into parts now. Start looking at the prices online on pcpartpicker understand what each components affect the system. I am not an expert on those things but I read alot and roughly understood their functions. When I go to the manufacturer, I asked alot of questions regarding performance and especially about cooling in this Tropical Region. You do not really need liquid cooling as it can be high maintenance and if you have an A/C it helps too, etc.

International shipping is always expensive unless you know someone who can give you an amazing deal. You can also start collecting parts by comparing prices and buying them on the cheap. You can chose a lesser known brand for cost measures and if you do not mind spending more for a solid build then look out for price drops. Casing can be important too with airflow and space for extra drives. Since mine is from a Custom Manufacturer the casing is in-house in my case, I selected one with the option of 1 HDD slot which is a smaller build and cheaper. 1 SDD which saves space, if I had the budget, I would had gotten 2 M.2 SSD but that is pretty overdrive. The EVO pro I selected is the current 2nd tier drive for SSD for speed wise.and of course its way faster compared to a SATA SSD/physical drive.

Things like that, have fun with your current build and great weekend ahead, Cheers! :)

4 years ago

Using an SSD as your OS drive will make Windows much faster, and make your computer must faster and more responsive. Any games you put on the SSD will also load faster. Upgrading to an SSD for your operating system is one of the biggest tangible upgrades you can make, though it won't effect games outside of having them load faster - but you seem to already be doing that. :)

Beyond that, you can add as many hard drives as you want and it won't effect performance one bit.

4 years ago

Beyond that, you can add as many hard drives as you want and it won't effect performance one bit

View attached image.
4 years ago

That's right, one million terabytes!

4 years ago

Yup, I'm using the SSD as a system drive. I see, thanks for the info! :)

4 years ago

Adding a new SSD will only improve overall performance (if you change your WD hard drive to SSD for example). Those games that you listed and so will go at least on the average settings in your computer configuration - now something to change is not necessary. When there is money it is better to swap the i3 for the i7 and the graphics card on the GTX 1060 (or the newer example of the 20x geforce series). In my opinion, the manufacturer of the graphics card should be Asus or MSI, well or in extreme case Gigabyte. I don't like Palit. More serious improvements will require a motherboard replacement and will cost more. The need for them is questionable.
This text is translated through bing - sorry if something is unclear.

4 years ago

Closed 3 years ago by mikotomaki.