Tour de France 2021

How it works

Predict who is going to win each stage of the Tour.

• Leave your prediction for each stage on the giveaway (they all include maps and profiles and link to the official site).
  • Below is a table with all stages but you can just go the first one and use the "next stage" link there.
  • We're not going to make it too easy so it's not allowed to just spam the same rider for all stages.

Stages

Date Stage (Giveaway) Steam
Saturday, 26 June Brest to Landerneau Ballpoint Universe - Infinite
Sunday, 27 June Perros-Guirec to Mûr-de-Bretagne Deadlight: Director's Cut
Monday, 28 June Lorient to Pontivy Lovecraft's Untold Stories
Tuesday, 29 June Redon to Fougères POSTAL 2
Wednesday, 30 June Changé to Laval Star Wolves 3: Civil War
Thursday, 1 July Tours to Châteauroux The Light Keeps Us Safe
Friday, 2 July Vierzon to Le Creusot Yoku's Island Express
Saturday, 3 July Oyonnax to Le Grand-Bornand Alekhine's Gun
Sunday, 4 July Cluses to Tignes Colt Express
Monday, 5 July Tignes Heavy Burger
Tuesday, 6 July Albertville to Valence Chaos Reborn
Wednesday, 7 July Sorgues to Malaucène Sir, You Are Being Hunted
Thursday, 8 July Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux to Nîmes The Keep
Friday, 9 July Nîmes to Carcassonne Dungeons 3
Saturday, 10 July Carcassonne to Quillan Scanner Sombre
Sunday, 11 July Céret to Andorra la Vella (Andorra) The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game
Monday, 12 July Andorra la Vella (Andorra) GemCraft - Chasing Shadows
Tuesday, 13 July El Pas de la Casa to Saint-Gaudens Batman: The Enemy Within - The Telltale Series
Wednesday, 14 July Muret to Saint-Lary-Soulan (Col de Portet) POSTAL Redux
Thursday, 15 July Pau to Luz Ardiden Super 3-D Noah's Ark
Friday, 16 July Mourenx to Libourne The Signal From Tölva
Saturday, 17 July Libourne to Saint-Émilion Yooka-Laylee
Sunday, 18 July Chatou to Paris (Champs-Élysées) SONG OF HORROR COMPLETE EDITION

This table/chart is RaChart™ compatible and was created with Giveaways Table/Chart Creator

Preview

Due to lack of time on my part and lack of interest on here I will probably keep things smaller than previous years. Right now I've got all the stages set up but there's no analysis of the stages nor a Tour Touristique. I might add them, we'll have to wait and see. Same thing goes for the further preview below, probably gonna keep it short.

It seems the Tour de France has finally embraced the future; they uploaded a whole raft of explainer videos to their YouTube account yesterday. I'll link a few in the sections below.

After 2020 the Tour is back in it's normal time slot, well, almost... Due to the Olympic Games we start and end a week early.

This Tour could be titled as Pogačar - Roglič: The Rematch, but INEOS Grenadiers probably has other plans. Interestingly, both of the contenders have done very few course kilometres since spring, a very different approach compared to the past. We have a different time of time trial on the second to last day this year but it might again be decisive.

Other than the previous few years the sprinters should get more chances; there's about 7 or 8 stages that could well end in a bunch sprint. However... the Giro this year surprised everyone with a number of those stages going to a breakaway, could we see the same here?

Also see the PEZ Preview.

The Tour Touristique bits are mostly from the Tour site (recognizable by the appalling command of the English language) and Wikipedia.

Sites
Official Site
Wikipedia
A better list of riders than the official site, with thanks to bartwu

General Classification (abbreviated as GC)
This is the one it's all about, who will bring the maillot jaune (yellow jersey) to Paris? #TD2021 - The Yellow Jersey

• UAE Team Emirates has gained in strength, now bringing Rafał Majka for more high class support in the mountains. Last year Tadej Pogačar was unfortunate in losing all his mountain support before the mountain stages even started. Though he was quite lucky in that Jumbo Visma brought him to the finish line for free in most stages.
  • Speaking of Jumbo Visma, Primož Roglič will have to do without support from Tom Dumoulin this year (though we will hopefully see him in Tokyo). Of course he can still count on the likes of Wout van Aert, Steven Kruijswijk, Robert Gesink, and Sepp Kuss. After that dramatic loss last year, what will they do differently this year, and will it pay off?
  • INEOS Grenadiers are bringing no less than four possible contenders: Richard Carapaz, Richie Porte, Geraint Thomas, and Tao Geoghegan Hart. And their other four riders are all top calibre as well. Will too many cooks spoil the broth?
  • EF Education - Nippo still has Rigoberto Urán who is still showing good form. He doesn't have too much support but he's shown in the past he can do it alone.
  • Movistar Team brought on Miguel Angel Lopez this year, he and Enric Mas will have to do it for the Spanish team.
  • Wilco Kelderman supported by Ide Schelling and others is looking for a top 5 classification for Bora-Hansgrohe.
  • Bauke Mollema is the GC man for Trek-Segafredo but should those hopes be dashed, he and Vincenzo Nibali will be going for stage wins.
  • Bahrain Vicorious has appointed Jack Haig as the man for the GC. Wout Poels has said he'll have a free role unless Haig has a good GC standing. Surprisingly Mark Padoen and Gino Mäder have not been selected for the Tour.
  • Chris Froome is back in the Tour with Israel Start-Up Nation but unfortunately he has never been able to return to the form he had before his horrid crash. Michael Woods is more likely to go for the GC and hopefully the likeable Dan Martin will be able to win a stage.
  • Team Arkéa - Samsic has Nairo Quintana who's year hasn't been great.
  • Cofidis with Guillaume Martin might be France's only hope this year; no Pinot or Bardet.
  • For completion's sake I'll mention Deceuninck - Quick-Step though I can't see Julian Alaphilippe getting anywhere near the GC podium in Paris.

King of the Mountain (often abbreviated as KoM)
The maillot a pois (polka dot jersey) goes to the best climber; who will it be this year? Obviously the GC riders will all feature in this classification but there are some others... #TDF2021 - Polka Dot Jersey

Due to time skipping the favorites here.

Sprinters
As mentioned above, quite a few possible stages for the sprinters this year. YouTube - #TDF2021 - Sprinters

• Mark Cavendish (30 Tour victories, only Eddy Merckx has done better; 34) is back due to Deceuninck-QuickStep thinking Sam Bennett is not quite 100% after injuring his knee. Can the Manx Missile add to his palmares? His last Tour victory is 5 years ago but he had few good wins this year.
  • Caleb Ewan is hoping to become only the fourth rider to win stages in all three Grand Tours in the same year. He could well be the man to beat this year.
  • Groupama-FDJ is putting all their money on Arnaud Démare, bringing a large sprint train. He's proven he can do it and he'll have his chance.
  • Sonny Colbrelli is in good shape but the really flat finishes aren't where he shines.
  • Bora-Hansgrohe left Pascal Ackermann at home but of course Peter Sagan will be here in what might be his last year for the team. Will he get another green jersey this year after failing last year? He did it in the Giro if that's any indication.
  • Tim Merlier surprised everyone to win the very first stage on his Grand Tour debut at the Giro earlier this year. Alpecin-Fenix is more than 'MvdP' these days, on a good day Tim should be able to clutch a win here. And if not him, Jasper Philipsen might be the new surprise.
  • It might be strange to see Team Jumbo - Visma in this listing but even though they are hyper focused on Roglič winning the GC, they are bringing both Wout van Aert and Mike Teunissen. Both riders have had to deal with some injuries and it remains to be seen if the team will allow them to mix it up, but if so... both could definitely win a stage.
  • Team BikeExchange's Michael Matthews is still a top class rider with an impressive palmares but super flat stages aren't quite his thing, count on him to be at the front the first two days.
  • Team DSM is bringing Cees Bol again, his best result was a third place in the opening stage last year.
  • Danny van Poppel supported by his brother Boy and Jonas Koch is the one to do it for Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert, can he break his duck?

Feel free to leave your predictions for jersey winners and other speculations in the comments below.

Man of the Tour

Mathieu van der Poel is riding his first Tour de France this year. Though his main goal this year is the Olympics I fully expect him to do some incredulous stuff in the first week. Not to mention that he has a unique chance to grab the yellow jersey on day one. A jersey which his father has worn but his grandfather, Raymond Poulidor, The Eternal Second, never got to wear.

Tour Trivia

• We're staying in France this year, excluding a tiny visit to Andorra, which makes sense with Covid still being an issue.
  • For the first time since 2000 we have a stage that just about reaches the 250 km mark.
View attached image.
View attached image.
2 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

And we're off!

2 years ago

🚴‍♀️ 🚲 🚴

View attached image.
2 years ago

Love that gif!

2 years ago

I contemplated posting a music video for Kraftwerk's brilliant "Tour De France", but decided against it, as only oldies will get it.
Kraftwerk - Tour De France (Official Music Video) - 60 FPS

View attached image.
2 years ago

It's a classic. Want to play Autobahn next now. lol

2 years ago

1. Hamilton
  2. Bottas
  3. Wait, wait, what was that again???

Despite your nice summary, I do not know enough to make any kind of guess... Good luck, fellow guessers! :D

2 years ago*

rofl!

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

2 years ago

Bump!

2 years ago

this is so cool , i bike alot but i dont know any teams in tour de france lol so idk how to do this

2 years ago

June 26
A day that unfortunately will be remembered for two horror crashes... :/

View attached image.
2 years ago

They caught the sign lady, but dropped the case. I guess going after an enthusiastic fan, even in this case, might be a blow to TdF's brand image.

2 years ago

Yeah, it's weird. Could be they are afraid they might lose. But she sure suffered for her actions.

2 years ago

June 27
I have no words...

View attached image.
2 years ago

Bump!

2 years ago

June 28
All these crashes are terrible for my health, my stomach is still in twists and my heart can't take this.

Great victory for Tim Merlier but I fear that's not what will be talked about. These Britanny roads should not be riden the first week of the Tour...

View attached image.
2 years ago

June 29
No crashes today! It was plain to see all the riders took a lot more care this stage. And that nearly gave Brent Van Moer the win. How must it feel to be swallowed by a sprinting peleton at 200 metres from the finish line?

Great win by Mark Cavendish though, he did it again! His 31st Tour de France victory and his second in Fougères.

Time trial tomorrow!

View attached image.
2 years ago

June 30
Tadej Pogačar surprised the world again; I don't think many people thought he'd win this stage. It's going to be even more difficult to beat him now.

View attached image.
2 years ago

July 1
Incredible how the Manx Missile just keeps winning. Number 32 in the tour, only two away from Eddy Merckx now, the record might now possibly be equalled. Also Cav's 50th victory in all Grand Tours.

Had Caleb Ewan still been here it might have been different but that's also the Tour.

Tomorrow should be an amazing stage, don't miss it!

View attached image.
2 years ago

July 2
Well, that was quite the birthday present.

Who'd have expected that group to get away from the peleton? It really was like a Spring Classic with most of the men you'd expect there. Unfortunately there wasn't a real battle for the stage win but that's only cause Matej Mohoric was so good he could just get away from all the other top calibre guys. And he now has wins in all three Grand Tours, more than impressive!

View attached image.
2 years ago

July 3
This was the Tour like we haven't seen it in 15 years or so. What a day!!

Great win by Dylan Teuns who shows he still has it but the story of the day will be Tadej Pogačar's declassification of all his competitors.

View attached image.
2 years ago*

Van Der Poel lost 20 minutes, finally, he is so overrated, I am tired of stories about his great family every 10 minutes. Hope everyone will forget about him for the next days.

2 years ago

July 4
I don't think many people expected Ben O'Connor to win today but the Australian proved he could go the distance better than the others in the breakaway(s).

The weather was horrendous, not quite what you'd expect in France in July. And for the second day running it was a battlefield, even if the time differences weren't quite as shocking. No one but Tadej Pogacar can keep Tadej Pogacar from his second Tour victory.

View attached image.
2 years ago

July 6
He's done it again, number 33... Only one from the Cannibal's record, utterly amazing.

View attached image.
2 years ago

July 7
He came so close yesterday and I concluded it wasn't his year and he wouldn't win a stage. And then he does this... Maybe he, and not Remco Evenepoel, should be considered Belgium's up and coming GC guy. What a win!

View attached image.
2 years ago*

July 8
There sure were enough volunteers for a breakaway today and Nils Politt was the best on all fronts; won the intermediate sprint, the only KoM points and the stage. Sagan unfortunately had to give up today and Bora immediately grabs a win; well done!

Let's hope for lots of wind tomorrow.

View attached image.
2 years ago

July 9
He's written history and he knows it!

It's amazing there's no one in the current Tour peleton who can keep this veteran from winning his stages. There will be a pretty upset gentleman in Belgium right now.

View attached image.
View attached image.
2 years ago

July 10
Bauke does it again!

Sneaking away at just the right moment, not at all unlike his win in 2017. I'm sure the team will be happy too, they haven't had much success so far.

View attached image.
2 years ago

BUMP so this thread stays visible. I am sorry that there is not too much interest in this thread, I am sure you invested a lot off effort in putting this together so nicely. I would love to contribute with some predictions but I am clueless too. (Also I am a MTB guy myself). But, since I live in Paris now, I might go out to the Champs Elysées next Sunday, to so the riders on their last leg with my own eyes

2 years ago

Thanks man. MTB is a lot of fun too.

We had a few Tour de France starts here in Holland but ending on the Champs Elysées sure is tradition now.

2 years ago

July 11
A lot can happen in a week; Roglic had to leave the Tour and now Jumbo-Visma have two stage wins and Vingegaard is still looking good in the GC.

Very impressive win by Sepp Kuss, living around these parts probably helped, he sure showed he can do it on the steep gradients.

View attached image.
2 years ago

July 13
Well done, Patrick Konrad! His biggest victory to date and a rare one for Austria in the Tour de France.

The GC guys got to conserve their energy for tomorrow. We should see a battle for the KoM as well.

View attached image.
2 years ago

July 14 & 15
Completely forgot yesterday but the result is the same; Pogacar is much too strong for the remaining GC guys. A sign of years to come or will Roglic be able to counter him next year?

View attached image.
2 years ago

Roglic is old - I'm sure some of the young guys will be ready to challenge Pogacar in the coming years :)

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.