Wired

"IN OCTOBER, GOOGLE dramatically announced that it would shut down Google+ in August 2019, because the company had discovered through an internal audit (and a simultaneous Wall Street Journal exposé) that a bug in Google+ had exposed 500,000 users' data for about three years. Maybe it should have pulled the plug sooner.

On Monday, Google announced that an additional bug in a Google+ API, part of a November 7 software update, exposed user data from 52.5 million accounts. Or as Google puts it, "some users were impacted." Google found the flaw, and corrected it by November 13. This means that app developers would have had improper user data access for six days. Google says it doesn't have any evidence that the data was misused during that time, or that Google+ was compromised by a third party. But the company is now moving up Google+'s termination date to April, and it will cut off access to Google+ APIs in 90 days."

Engadget

"Google's semi-defunct social media platform Google+ has suffered its second data breach in three months and, as a result, will be completely shuttered in April, four months earlier than previously planned."

(Thanks for the cake day wishes!)

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

?

View Results
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Tumblr
LinkedIn
Sina Weibo
Tencent Weibo
Myspace
Plurk
SteamCats

SteamCats. Definitely SteamCats. Meow.

happy cake day!

5 years ago

+1 billion and a half. at least.

5 years ago

Emmm, Happy Cakeday?! :D

5 years ago

wonder how much more data of people that never even signed up to G+ will be breached before April

5 years ago

What a waste of money the entirety of Google+ was.

5 years ago

The only useful thing that happened in that update was a notification system. Which they severed from G+. Then made way better. Then reverted back to the way worse version. Then broke it even more somehow.

5 years ago

It's just one data breach after another...

Anyway, happy cake day!

5 years ago

They forced youtube users to create a google+ account back in the day...no one wanted to...this is one reason why.

5 years ago

no one wanted to

And yet they remained on Youtube... Same company that repeatedly showed total disrespect for user privacy, but people somehow view Google+, Youtube, Android, Chrome, ReCaptcha, etc, etc as all separated entities. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 years ago

tbf...it was completely different in 2006 to seems like 2009?...before Google owned it...but yeah It's a tech conglomeration pretty much. They all follow suit when one platform takes action.

Some went to Vimeo...they immediately came back. Can't compete with something on that scale. Users built the website with user content...then they pulled a Houdini..well maybe it wasn't a Houdini...it was pretty full-scale and blatant heh.

5 years ago

Can't compete with something on that scale.

Yup. We have antitrust laws, but for some reason noone ever thought to apply them to those tech companies... 😐

5 years ago

I have my theories...shadowplay...but I'ma bit kooky.

5 years ago

Meow (=^.^=)

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

<3

imo they began faking smiles when G+ showed up... (they're also not that good at faking smiles :D)

5 years ago

Now picture him wearing Google Glass.

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

That's what I'm talking about!

View attached image.
5 years ago

Happy Cake Day! 🍰 😊 👍
                   &

🎅🎄🎁 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓻𝔂 𝓒𝓱𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓶𝓪𝓼 🎁🎄🎅

5 years ago

Happy cake day Mew :-)

SteamCats rock!

5 years ago

Everything is a data breach. Just living is a data breach. Being online is a breach of privacy.

5 years ago

Very apt statement..

5 years ago

DATABASE LIVING IN THE DATABASE

5 years ago

ALL YOUR DATABASE ARE BELONG TO US

5 years ago

Happy Cake day Mew2!
btw, does google drive files could be in danger when Google+ bytes the dust? (pun intended!)
sorry for this, hope you don't hate me for this but that cake pic doubles up as (Cheshire) cat cake AND see the other pic below...

View attached image.
View attached image.
5 years ago

Aw man, just when I thought about starting to use Google+! not really

5 years ago

Happy cake day :o)

5 years ago

This just in: Google did NOT manage to unseat Facebook with their half-assed Facebook clone and is compensating for that ego-crushing defeat by pretending they care about their users and their data. Riiiiiiiight.

5 years ago

Google exposes my data and they "deal with it later."

I expose my data, and I'm a "creep" who is acting "inappropriately." And I can't "come to the park anymore." And now it's impossible for me to "get approved for a lease application." So I have to live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!

5 years ago

Just tint the windows and paint FREE CANDY on the side.
Everything will work out just fine.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

5 years ago

Womp womp

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

You wanna really get into it (and never sleep again) put your email into https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and let them notify you whenever your email and other data are stolen from some website (well, when it's publicly known, at least).

5 years ago

What if I use a different mail for every website? Can I give them my real name, address, cc number, phone number and get notified every time it gets stolen?

5 years ago

Only got fucked over by DLH. Still don't forgive them. :P

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.