So I just won Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I promised myself that if I won one of these new AAA games, I would spend the hard saved moneys to buy a 980 Ti. However I'm overwhelmed by the number of options out there!

Here's the question: which of the GeForce GTX 980 Ti cards (a.k.a. steel rivals) should I buy? And why?

BTW my PC is like 4 years old with an i5 CPU and enough RAM that I don't think I need to upgrade right now. I'm mostly playing on my 2560x1440 resolution screen. My current GPU is a Radeon HD 7950.

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

8 years ago*

+1

8 years ago

It's not the Ti version I'm looking for, but obviously a lot cheaper :)
Also - you seriously don't ever buy a GPU that's newer than 2 years?

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago*

Bumpy ;3

8 years ago

happy cake day! :3

View attached image.
8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

I suck with this kinda stuff so have a bump :D

8 years ago

I own a Zotac 980 Ti, I went with this particular brand because at the time of purchase, it was the only 980 TI in stock in the entire world... lol

Anyway, I wasn't expecting much from Zotac, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the product.... That being said, I would go with this version of the 980 Ti every single day of the week - http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4993-KR

8 years ago

maybe 980 Ti cards benchmarks can help?!

8 years ago

I'm sure my opinion probably isn't a popular one, but I'll speak it anyways. :3 I'd personally recommend waiting until the next generation of cards from Nvidia. With the way Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 and DirectX12, current Nvidia cards don't have much support for DirectX12. The next generation of cards should be much better in this regard. I've personally been waiting on upgrading my 770 until I know for sure the new Nvidia cards will have proper DirectX12 support.

But on-topic. If you are going to buy a 980Ti, I'd personally recommend EVGA or ASUS. I'm an ASUS fan, but EVGA cards are great as well.

8 years ago

I was pushing my luck in not winning a AAA game for too long, was hoping that would last until the next gen cards are here :) However I'm also glad I finally won a current AAA game and the next gen cards are still so far out that I don't want to wait any longer!

8 years ago

A new card for a new game is never a bad idea still, so I hope you enjoy it!

8 years ago

I would wait for the 1070/80 to come out, simply because the price of older cards will probably drop a bit.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

8 years ago

My advice is OC your curent GPU and wait for Nvidia Pascal/ AMD Polaris * in shops Around May/June you get better performance for less money + they drain less electricity :)
On your curent GPU you will get 31FPS in 1080P High detail benchmark http://pclab.pl/art68109-6.html

8 years ago*

Seconded

8 years ago

Pascal / GeForce GTX 1080 to be launched at 26./27. May... not sure I want to wait so long!

8 years ago

This is your choice, I personally have R7 260x 1Gb *(yes is to small for high res textures) and I wait for Polaris

8 years ago

I have MSI GTX 980Ti GAMING 6G and its pretty loud in full load, not recommended

8 years ago

I personally can only get an Evga Card (or like one of the MSI cards) due to needing below 10.8 inch card (ideal space being around 10.62 inches to give space between the CPU cooler); reason being the AIO watercooling solution I used on my CPU. So do make sure you have the proper space to fit it into your case if you go for one of the other Manufacturers.

Depending on pricing I would get the Evga Ftw http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4996-KR
due to it going on sale more than the others from various retailers

8 years ago*

i'll spent my money for a retail version by palit, as soon i've the money for my new pc =)

8 years ago

Bump. Thanks, I'm currently card hunting too. This was somewhat helpful to read through.

8 years ago

I'm not gonna name a card because I'm waiting for VR benchmarks, but here's a price search engine & compatibility checker for PC parts:
(that's a direct link to 980 Ti not a referral link, click on a card model to see details retailers for each model)

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=224&sort=a8&page=1

8 years ago

Rumor is Nvidia is about to debut 1080. You might want to wait till then since the price of older model should drop since 1080 will be in 16nm architecture.

8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago by Perm.