"Art sales and auctions have been setting records, which could be another sign of the wealth gap, according to a Citi report

This is bananas.

An Italian artist duct-taped a banana to a gallery wall in Miami as part of the Art Basel festival — and it sold for $120,000. Actually, he’s sold two editions already.

There’s nothing especially fancy about the exorbitant fruit displayed at the Galerie Perrotin, which is titled “Comedian.” Maurizio Cattelan, an art world prankster perhaps best known for creating a $6 million, 18-carat-gold toilet that he named “America,” grabbed the banana from a local Miami supermarket, Artnet reports.

And it doesn’t symbolize anything in particular. “The banana is supposed to be a banana,” Cattelan said, although he told Artnet that the shape of the fruit, the angle it was taped to the wall and its placement in the booth were all “carefully considered.” He came up with the idea a year ago, when he was thinking of creating a sculpture shaped like a banana, according to a statement from Galerie Perrotin.

“Every time he traveled, he brought a banana with him and hung it in his hotel room to find inspiration,” the statement continued. “He made several models: first in resin, then in bronze and in painted bronze (before) finally coming back to the initial idea of a real banana.”
It’s unclear how often the banana will be replaced, as it will probably turn black and begin to spoil in about a week. The gallery expects to throw out the one currently on view at the end of the week, unless the collector wants to keep it.

Art Basel guests have found it so a-peeling that Cattelan has jacked the price up to $150,000, which is being shopped to museums. (Two have reportedly already expressed interest.) Not too shabby considering you can buy four bananas for $1 from most NYC street vendors, and duct tape runs $5 to $10 on Amazon."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/someone-paying-120000-for-a-banana-duct-taped-to-a-wall-at-art-basel-is-the-perfect-picture-of-wealth-inequality-2019-12-05

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2019/12/07/120k-duct-taped-banana-eaten-performance-artist-art-basel-miami/
Apparently though it's not the actual banana they bought (and now replaced with another banana) the buyers just bought the concept.

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

first world problems... and i just felt ashamed for buying a Steam Controller, because it was so cheap and not knowing if i ever will use it.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

4 years ago

I suppose that the artist could have taken the money and buried in a hole, thereby justifying the groaning of those so concerned over how someone else spends their money. I think it more likely that the artist uses the money from this sale to buy food and other necessities from stores that will use the money to pay their employees and buy new stock from suppliers who will use that money to pay their employees and buy new stock from suppliers who...

4 years ago

Can't blame the artist here. Artists create. That's what they do.

The buyer, on the other hand... what the absolute &#!@.

4 years ago

Look, if your weatlh outdoes your decency like that, be my guest, i´ll duct tape anything to any wall you´d like.

Cash offers only!!!

4 years ago

If you get into the high ranks of modern art you can create anything and someone will buy It.
Banksy said he didn't do It for fame at the streets. I think he has his own gallery now :P

4 years ago

It's now available on deep discount at a Dutch supermarket...

View attached image.
4 years ago

in brazil this used to be called money laundry...

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.