Rumors, gossiped by developers in Developers-Only Steam Group, says "In past sale events, we’ve asked for two discounts—a duration discount that runs for the length of the sale, and a feature discount that runs in the event that a game is featured on the front page. This year, to optimize the sale for customers and to allow us to feature and recommend your products in more ways to more customers, we’re asking for just one discount, to run the length of the sale.
We’ll still be highlighting top games on the front page for 24-48 hour spans, but those products will stay at their most competitive discount, before and after being featured. It’s not a major change, but it does make the sale a lot more valuable for customers, and it allows us to build sale tools that highlight and recommend products all sale long, instead of just during front page features."

Dark Side of the Refunds, I guess...

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Worst Steam Sales incoming?

View Results
Yes, no need to return after day 1
No, one day to purchase them all

Who cares, daily sales were usually not worth it anyway and I'd rather have the sales laid out in front of me instead of having to check daily for new sales. Not to mention avoiding the shitty feeling of buying a game at a discount and next day seeing it at a flash sale at lower price.

8 years ago

prices changing on a daily basis also meant price errors happening on a daily basis

8 years ago

Steam price errors are one of my favorite holiday traditions :(

8 years ago

idk if that a good thing to prey on steam's mistakes =P

8 years ago

and why not - if theres an opportunity, and it's not illegal one - why not take advantage of it? :>

8 years ago

My guess is that the developers lose out. I doubt that Steam covers the loss of revenue for their mistake.
That said, I can't blame anybody for taking advantage of a price error. It's kind of hard not to when it's staring you in the face.

8 years ago

+1

8 years ago

To my knowledge, it's generally the site that "eats the loss" when they mess up. This was at least true for GG, but I would be surprised if it's not also true for steam, as otherwise the developer can make a case against Steam, claiming that their mistake cost them potential sales revenue.

8 years ago

I'm not saying not to take advantage when something like that happens but hoping they make a mistake for your benefit doesn't seem like a very virtuous thing =P

8 years ago

it's not hoping for - simply waiting ;) it does always happen ;p And I don't hope that idk - game XYZ will have a price error - I just wait and see what gets an error and decide whether buy it or not :>

8 years ago

But that's exactly why you just wait to buy non-daily, non-flash games on the last day of the sale.

8 years ago

And that's exactly why I'd rather there'd be no such thing as daily sales, as it'd be much better if all sales would be put upfront and I'd just be able to buy the game without having to wait till the end of sales.

8 years ago

Daily and flash sales have a better discount, so of course they're worth it.

8 years ago

if the one discount is set at the same discount as the daily/flash then there isn't a issue really, is there?

8 years ago

No...but do you really think that will be the case? Of course, if there's no daily/flash sale, then there's no way to know what it "would have" been. Maybe we'll be able to tell if we get a lot of 33/50/60% sales and fewer 66/75/80/85% sales.

8 years ago

i agree and personally almost never buy a game on those sales that's not at at least a 75% discount and didn't raise there price prior to the sale.

8 years ago

+1

8 years ago

Well, it kinda takes the fun out of "strategically" throwing your money at Valve...

/s

8 years ago

+1

8 years ago

Oh well, when the flash sales were every 6 hours I had to wake up early on the holidays, so that's a plus.
On the other hand the event will be a lot less exciting, I just load my wishlist, click sort by discount and buy what I want and I'm done.

8 years ago

Wasn't it every 8 hours? Not like it matters, mind me :D

8 years ago

Recently, yes. I think in ~2013 they were 6 hour rounds.

8 years ago

Could happen, I started using Steam only during 2013 winter, and I don't exactly remember about that sale in particular :)

8 years ago

Yup, was every 6. Was too much short. And here everyone was excited and even excited for what they have lost while sleeping /working to better predict future sales or stop expecting them.
Every new sale is less exciting than the previous one.

8 years ago

It will never last. Time pressure is a great motivator to buy.

8 years ago

daily price changes = daily price errors :(

8 years ago

So if a game was 50% during sales and 75% during daily deals...
Will it be 50 or 75% during all the coming sales ? :D

8 years ago

My guess: when choosing between those two, AAA devs will go with 50%, indie with 75%.

8 years ago

I hope not for AAA. >.<

8 years ago

Alternatively: Everyone settles on 66% instead

8 years ago

+1 to 60 or 66%

8 years ago

66% :P

8 years ago

33% ç_ç

8 years ago

It remembers me the "fabulous" last total war sales...

8 years ago

Depends on the publisher. Small ones will most likely get the bigger discount, some larger ones probably settle on 66-70%, and the greedier ones stay in the 55-66% range.

8 years ago

And Activision 30-50% :D

8 years ago

Well… yeah. Most likely. I mean as much flak I give for Bethesda, they at least drop the prices of their several year old games and don't ask 120-150 USD for a "complete" edition.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

8 years ago

Very dumb this.
I come back daily and buy stuff I wasn't going to buy just because...
Great for people with a budget though, I guess many get to stay within it this round! :)

8 years ago

& great for people going on trips/holiday or seeing family where they can't access the internet each day

8 years ago

Well, """hardcore""" gamers and more concretely hardcore purchasers tend to have internet.
On 2013 winter sales I had internet from nice neighbours. But few after that I had internet on the mobile and a bit after my grandma's house have DSL. And well half of the bars and coffees offer free wifi for customers (on a village of <2k citizens) I bet something similar happened on the entire world.

Also from last sales there weren't offers that lasted less than 36h.
And encore day. If I'm not wrong last time it lasted 36 or 48 h

8 years ago*

Idk if all "hardcore" gamers always have internet, most do at a guess but not all =P + pretty sure there isn't coffee shops at places like this

View attached image.
8 years ago

I bet the sky station has internet.
I think that TVs showcase winter Olympics. And journalists cover them on newspapers and blogs.
And [finally](http://www.amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B00o 85MS2RI/ref=pd_aw_sim_147_3/275-8534165-1142248?ie=UTF8&dpID=31MFL%2BYafnL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100SR100%2C100&refRID=1NZX35YGRKG24REJHD45) yup, probably depends on turrets. Still I bet your family doesn't live there. Without electricity is hard to play videogames.

The topic wasn't about have always, but to attempt to have enough access to not miss a sale 2-3 times a day. Plus encore day. But as all offers on steam tend to be every time longer (see daily as an example) or the last sale in overall, it wasn't necessary to convert into a static two weeks lower price.

Real life sales also have different prices, wich increase discount until stock is sold. In digital there's no stock, obviously.

Nice picture!

8 years ago*

Satellite Broadband is pretty expensive & you wont save enough money in the sales to off put those costs =P in my country the normal thing people do is to go camping over xmas so don't have electrical gadgets. If you are going to Nepal to visit base camp or traveling through the Pacific you you wont have internet or in my case going tramping through the mountains you wont have internet =P so not needing to check everyday for sale seems like a positive thing for those people

8 years ago*

You described people who can live without playing or SG or internet daily, they deserve no sales muhahaha joking of course.

But sales had lasted the two weeks previously. Just an even better price for those hardcore salers.

8 years ago

yeah different developers will treat it differently i guess some will set at their lowest price(normally flash or daily) while others will set it at a price they seem to think is fair(normally the 2week price) & some will come up with a price in the middle of those which at my best guess will be what a lot of them do. Flash & daily deals still happen through out the year though so still able to get these better deals

8 years ago

Everest has internet access from bottom to top.

8 years ago

via satellite only thou, no? & if your climbing up the top of Everest you wont have time to playing around on the internet

8 years ago

Well we already kind of saw that with the last summer sale. There were plenty of daily sales that didn't change price from their normal sale. Like CS GO for instance.

Oh well, that just means I will look trough it on day one and not open it at all after that >.> .

8 years ago

Goodbye awesome prices

8 years ago

Well, Steam sales have been more or less insignificant for quite some time now, the only thing that was interesting is the stuff they put on as event exclusives.
Since all I care now about it is the new cards, it makes me sad that there won't be votes again, but probably some other broken boring Flash game that never registers play time correctly and forgets to add more than half of the cards.
But as for games… practically all authorised resellers have better prices than Steam now. The only thing I buy on Steam nowadays are some of the more interesting indie games when they go on 95%+ sales, because these are the only ones where this platform still offers competitive prices.

8 years ago

As long as developers/publishers still put their best offer out there then it's fine. I guess we shall see.

8 years ago

RIP Steam :/

8 years ago

I don't really mind it - I love the style of the big sales with the different storefront and stuff like that, but I'm running out of games that will be cheap enough and I want them enough to pay the price for them - the really cheap and really good ones are already bought during previous sales.

8 years ago

Completely agree to the "refunds side effect" statement. I noticed some kind of screening that direction by Valve during summer sale, so they surely might make such changes.

8 years ago

Yeah, definitely this.

Alternate would've been to not discount coming dailies at all, but it would leave last dailies in "bad position".

so. no discount -> high -> low for rest of time.

8 years ago

apart from price errors i still don't see how it will change things...

8 years ago

Well for example previously if a game was at 50% discount it could go up to 75% discount if it was featured in daily or flash sale. Now if it starts with 50% discount it will stay at 50% for the entire sale.

While that 25% difference is most noticeable with expensive games, for those with small budget it makes a difference even for the cheaper games.

It will also generate less money for Valve as well, as a lot of people tend to buy games they don't really need simply because they got a high discount on daily/flash sale.

8 years ago

it would be fine if it's just 50% or any fixed discount during the whole sale, i just hope developers/publishers don't pull another sneaky price increase before applying discounts... -.-

anyway, i don't think valve will lose money, it's the only thing they care lately. :|

8 years ago

Thats why i check on isthereanydeal. Com so i van see the lowest price

8 years ago

Maybe fine for you and other people that have enough money to afford whatever games they want. But for someone like me who can barely affording anything the higher discounts during daily/flash sales are a great and much needed thing.

8 years ago

i don't have enough money to afford whatever i want, or else i wouldn't enter any GA at all...

i just pointed out that devs are tricking people into thinking a 50-75% discount is legit and if you check the price history of some games you notice they increased the base price by x1.5 or even x2, so in the end the "sale" is a farse.
so like i said, better to have just -50% than -75% with an inflated price.

8 years ago

It takes away some of the excitement of coming back day after day to see if there was a little gem in there, pretty disappointing.

8 years ago

Exactly what i was thinking.

8 years ago

so now ppl would login at any point of the sales event check everything and leave, it doesnt make you crave for games, its dumb and steam/devs will suffer for their stupidity

8 years ago

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186008642&postcount=13635

Another source. I feel I should point out that the above source also has purported sale dates for Autumn/Winter sales anyhow. Mark your calendars people! :P

(incidentally, this agrees with paysafecard's leaked autumn sale date )

8 years ago

Interessting, so 22.12 for the big winter sale :)
When will be able to get the holiday cards by crafting badges? One week before the date?
Never really followed those things but now it's the first time I have a lot of badges to craft :)

8 years ago

Yeah usually roughly a week...bring on the cards! Because that's my primary source of 'money' for the winter sales lol :P

8 years ago

Okay thank you :D
Well no profit to be made, so I wouldn't say it's a way to make money, but it's cheap leveling :D

8 years ago

Unless you're lucky with foil crafts, it's usually much smarter to just sell cards then craft them.

Made some calculations, got tons of games ready to craft and around 80% of them, if sold, would give me at least 30 cents. No event card since Summer 2014 went for more than 20 cents (beside first hours, maybe).

8 years ago

Yeah, I get that. I just kinda want to unlock all the showcases and increase my level though.

Irrational behaviour on my end but eh :P

8 years ago

Valve somehow manages to make me even less excited for their sales each year.

8 years ago*

buuuu ...no fun :/

8 years ago

eh doesn't matter much to me, all it means is that I'm able to space things out and what not. Sure didn't help that most of the feature things aren't what I'm looking for.

As far as other stores? Well price comparison is always fun, though there'll be purchases=cards during the winter sale. I'm curious about what sort of thing they'll do for this year's.

8 years ago

Valve is constantly destroying everything we love about Steam ...

8 years ago

Oh no, Steam taking away all the fun in hunting for the best deal.
Disappointed!
:°(

8 years ago

Not really, now you'll actually have to hunt rather than just wait for the next round of deals. Yeah, the tradition of checking every 8 hours is gone but that just amounted to buying crap you didn't really want anyways.

8 years ago

I go through my wishlist, next thing I check Steamsalestracker, and then I'm done with the sale. How is that hunting?

8 years ago

How is checking the front page every 8 hours hunting?

8 years ago

Because you have to be alert, you have to pay attention, you have to make decisions wether to buy now or rather wait for a better deal, because it's a constantly changing, floating thing rather than one big solid fact?!

8 years ago

Disagree. Loading a webpage 3 times a day, just to look at the front page != hunting. Mainly because you knew that if it was featured as a daily or flash it was at it's lowest price. No mystery, no challenge. "Wait for daily/flash or buy on the last day" is the mantra we all know.

With the new system their will be 1000's of items on their lowest sale price and only a fraction will be featured. If you want to find the hidden gems you'll have to actually hunt for them.

Besides, refunds took the teeth out of the daily/flash excitement already.

8 years ago

Real hunting would be comparing Steam's with other sites to see which is best. It's something I've done on a few sales.

8 years ago

On summer and last winter too store front didn't have best sales.
Currently the disordered grid with repeated games was very annoying, useless and disappointing. The only part I watched was daily which won't exist, yesterday's which won't exist and unlocked on the minigame, which guess what, won't exist.

8 years ago

If that happens I'll certainly miss it as far as excitement goes but my wallet will thank Volvo for it.
It was the time pressure and excitement that pushed me to buy some things I was on the edge about.
Not sure Our Divine Master Gaben will like the end result if a lot of people are like me, and I'm guessing they are, when it comes to this.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 8 years ago.

8 years ago

Way to make friends here.

8 years ago

lol

8 years ago