ok it has been like 2 months now and i still have this weird problem with steam and other clients like origin and uplay
i cant log in except if i use a vpn or i share the internet to my pc using my phone and a usb cable or using a different modem
i redone the modem configuration twice and talked with my internet providers and still nothing
can someone explain the problem :o ?!!!

4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

provider blocking steam/certain ports/udp

4 years ago

well nope , thye didnt even know what steam is and the other modem i tried has a different ip but the same ips
im thinking it has to do with the ip i have now

4 years ago

oh. I had an old thomson adsl modem that had issues with steam, so I had to search the internet and found some way to fix it by downloading older firmware and... sadly have no idea if you have the same issue, nor do I use that modem for years... and solution was swept by the wind

that said, if another modem works, use another modem.

4 years ago

yeah but the other modem has a different ip and a different configuration

4 years ago

Try creating a shortcut. Right click and go to properties. Add

-tcp

to target.

Also try to run steam as administrator.

4 years ago

nope didnt work i think my problem is coming from my ip

4 years ago

Then your IP is banned because of some previous owner and you have the very simple solution of just using another IP, problem solved.

4 years ago

but why only those 3 clients ? i can access them from the web browser normally

4 years ago

Are you using some web proxy in your browser?

4 years ago

nope i never changed anything or installed anything when the problem started , im suspecting my ip address since using a vpn or the phone method or another modem with a different line change the ip and fix the problem

4 years ago

So we're still back at your IP just being banned because some scammer/hacker/whatever used it in some bad way on those 3 gaming related services. Changing the IP is the simple and working solution you're looking for, so why not just go with it?

4 years ago

i will ask for a diferent ip address next week and hope it will fix the problem

4 years ago

Usually they can't do that, and you need to turn off your modem for 24-48 hours then you should get a new one.
Atleast how it works here.

4 years ago

emmmmm i might try that thanks ;) <3 is there a way to speed that :p ?!!! 24 /48 is long time

4 years ago*

ok i did that (8h not 24 :p ) but i think i got a new ip
the old one was 41.102.2.139 and the new one is 41.102.94.27 but the problem is still there , i can log into steam but i cant access the activity or download games or upload pics in the chat

4 years ago

8 hours is generally too short, even 24 hours might be, my isp can't even say.
So i question if you truelly got a new ip.

Anyway i know enough about computers, but can't really give you any other advice either.

4 years ago

http://homenetworkadmin.com/dhcp-lease-time/

Typically, the DHCP lease time default setting on most servers is 24 hours. However, this may be shorter or longer depending on your own server. Settings can be adjusted from one minute up to a certain number of days.

Some people get a new IP every time they reboot the modem, some have to wait for days.

4 years ago

Fair enough.

4 years ago

yeah thats true my oldest modem had that lol

4 years ago

Check your firewall settings on your router, since it's affecting all of your launchers it could be that. If it is set to "high" you won't be able to run any launchers. This happened to me. A family member thought they were doing us a favour by setting the router like that. Couldn't figure out why neither Steam nor Battle.net would run for me, until I checked the settings and saw that the firewall was ramped up. Luckily i knew enough to know that was the issue.

If that is the case with you, set it back to normal and you should be able to log in. Some of these idiots who work on ISP tech support don't necessarily know these things without them being pointed out.

4 years ago

there is no firewall settings on my modem and on pc , windows firewall and the antivirus arnt interfering with steam

4 years ago

That's odd, there are usually firewall settings on a router. (Nothing to do with windows) I guess it depends on what kinda setup you have though.

4 years ago

Some but not all routers have their own built-in firewalls also know as hardware firewalls. Tho, the cheaper ones usually don't have that feature,. ;)

4 years ago*

Do you have a separate router or is it integrated into the modem? It's not unusual for ISPs to provide an integrated solution that includes modem, router w/ Wi-Fi all rolled into one (and this should have its own firewall). Personally I don't care for this approach as it may potentially mean having less control over the network configuration on your end. Anyway if this is the case and the firewall settings on the router are too restrictive then it could explain why one modem works and the other doesn't.

4 years ago*

nope only a modem with no firewall

4 years ago

So you have your own separate router then?

4 years ago

I have an older D-Link router as well. Never any problem like this though.

How long have you had the D-Link DSL-124?

4 years ago*

almost 2 years , worked fine and still do except for the 3 clients

4 years ago

It looks like it has integrated DSL. So when you change modems to the working one are you removing this device?

4 years ago

i connect to the wifi of the other modem ( it has a diferent line with a diferent ip and configuration but the same ips )

4 years ago

I found the manual for the D-Link DSL-124:
https://dlinkmea.com/upload/downloadable/DSL_124_I1_Manual_v1_00_DI__5a81627bd9c87.pdf

In the router settings I would try putting the one computer into the DMZ as described on page 72 (the IP address to input will probably be something like 192.168.0.X) and then see if Steam works. If it does then there's a setting in the device that is blocking these game clients. This would only be temporary for testing purposes. You don't want to leave a computer in the DMZ long-term because it will be exposed to the internet.

4 years ago*

still nothing , i still get the same problem , cant log in in the activity or download games
https://imgur.com/a/NvlYtWe

4 years ago

The problem is your modem, I don't think you have a static IP that never changes, so the IP is not the cause.
You said your other modem is working and you don't really need to look for other reasons. Just use your old modem or get a new one or search for fixes. Maybe it's a known problem which can be fixed by updating or downgrading the FW, just like NB264 already told you before. ;)

4 years ago*

I get the same dynamic IP for months unless I specifically go offline for a longer time. Some ISP's force a different IP daily, some give you the same one as long as they can and most do something in between. Depends a lot on number of IPs they own and the number of users.

The situation changed recently, not because he changed his modem, but because the same modem that worked fine before got a new IP.

4 years ago

You're right, I read it again and it might be that he has cable internet access that assigns some kind of pseudo static IP addresses, which only change when you disconnect the modem for several hours. You can trigger an IP change by spoofing and changing the MAC address of your modem.

So yeah, the IP might be the cause.

4 years ago

Yeah it's usually tied to the MAC, which is why I can get 5 different IPs if I connect 5 devices over a bridge instead of NAT.

4 years ago

the other modem has a diferent configuration with a different line ( same ips but diferent line and ip ) its not mine its my brother and i changed my FW and redone my modem configuration twice and still nothing

4 years ago

Here is Steam's page about what needs to be allowed on your network (or your ISP network), including the IP blocks, port numbers, hostnames etc:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

4 years ago

did all of that and still nothing

4 years ago

This is a long shot but a while ago I had a similar problem and it turned out that the problem was with my VPN's split tunneling option. If you use that might be worth turning it off or trying all other options your VPN offers.

4 years ago

i dont use vpn :/

4 years ago

"i cant log in except if i use a vpn" (You)

4 years ago

VPN wasn't used before this problem appeared, only after to fix it. At least that's how I read it.

4 years ago

thats after the problem not before , i used it and i could log in but if i dont use it i cant log in

4 years ago

Ah, got it.

4 years ago

Okay something isn't adding up here cause you said you do use a VPN in the OP.

4 years ago

i used vpn to solve the problem not before that

4 years ago

I'm not sure it's helpful, but I found this thread and it looks like you're not the only one having trouble using Steam from Algeria...

So maybe your problem is a compatibility problem between your internet service provider and your modem.
The simplest solution might be to change your modem by a new one that is better accepted by your Internet service provider.

4 years ago*

thanks ;) and yeah i just check it and from the guys who are from my contry says its a modem problem , so i have to change it now

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.