Hi SG,

Santa has been running a little behind schedule, but the gift boxes have made another return to SteamGifts for 2020! There have been a few tweaks this year which are noted further below.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
    • Please ensure your gift box design is appropriate for all ages and respectful of others in the community. Inappropriate designs will need to be removed along with the corresponding giveaway.
  2. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

Changes for 2020

1. Peeking. Last year users could hide gift boxes for games they filtered on SteamGifts. This created a bit of an unfair advantage since users that decided to hide thousands of games on our site were now only left with the best gift boxes to unlock. This year filters are not applied and instead we introduced a new peeking feature to keep things more fair for everyone taking part in the event.
    How it works:
    You can peek into 10 gift boxes each day. When you peek in a gift box, you'll see a random number of games (2-4) and one of them is contained within the gift box. You can then decide whether or not you want to open the gift box. This should stop trolling because if a user creates a box with the design for a highly desirable game, you can peek to see if it's actually one of the options. It should also help everyone to find boxes that better interest them, while still keeping a bit of mystery and excitement in the event.
  2. DLC and no CV games are not allowed in the event. Since Steam does not provide data regarding DLC it caused issues in the past where users would open a box to reveal DLC they already owned. No CV games (those marked with a double asterisk in the giveaway list) cannot be given away in the event. Users expressed their frustration with these games in previous events, so this year we're going to try excluding them.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found or what was contained inside of a gift box.

Happy holidays!

3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

3 years ago

I actually didn't mind the trollboxes but the new features seem nice.

However I'd love to have an option to disable animated gifs on the boxes and only load the first frame, since these are a nightmare for people who have low internet speed :/

3 years ago

For me it depends on the kind of troll. Shovelware in another game's box? That's meh, don't like it.
Joke, mysterious box that sets up a joke with a game in it? I'm all in. Some people made so many meta-jokes, and boxes with the game genres on them that it was just fun opening them and guessing what they are :)

3 years ago

Yeah of course, if it's like some random asset flip in a Cuberpunk box it's pretty low effort. I just ignore it and move on. But I remember feeling like "you got me, good job" on a couple of occasions. Kinda like when there's a train of terrible games with a common theme, I may not enter any but I appreciate the effort :)

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

Just interested.
Are you going to keep adding messages about blacklisting on these holiday giveaways?
Or are you not going to create them? =)

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

:o the peeking addition will be really useful! Thanks for adding that!

3 years ago

Thanks for putting together the every CG :)

3 years ago

Good changes, thanks.

3 years ago

Great event, respect to all work put into this and all the gifters!
Good luck & happy holidays everyone!

3 years ago

Great thanks! Hapy holidays! =)

3 years ago

Thank you for the event! Peak inside it's a great feature. :D
Happy holidays and big thank you to all box creators. <3

3 years ago

Cool

3 years ago

Thumbs up for the 2020 changes!

3 years ago

Christmas bump :3

3 years ago

Thank you!!
The new features are a tremendous benefit from last year!

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

different each time

3 years ago

I can't wait to find 15 hidden games every day :( But that's part of gambling I suppose. Thank you for bringing this back!!

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

I wasn't aware of the filter last year, and I definitely approve of the peeking feature.
Also I appreciate y'all excluding DLC and free games, makes me not second guess a lot of choices.

Happy holidays and stay safe everyone!

3 years ago

Good idea about those peeks, the filters are even better.

3 years ago

Thank you cg. Happy holidays!

3 years ago

Smart peeking idea...

3 years ago

Peeking. Last year users could hide gift boxes for games they filtered on SteamGifts. This created a bit of an unfair advantage since users that decided to hide thousands of games on our site were now only left with the best gift boxes to unlock. This year filters are not applied and instead we introduced a new peeking feature to keep things more fair for everyone taking part in the event.

Good! Despite I was on the lucky side with ~15k hidden games last year, that system was broken, there is no place for advantage in a Christmas event.
The peeking mechanic sounds fun and have a nice dose of randomness, I like it!

3 years ago

Happy holidays!

3 years ago

Not seeing any indication of what "today" is?
That is to say, there's no timer anywhere indicating when the daily opens reset, and this thread also doesn't seem to indicate when that would be. I've tried hovering over everything within the event, not even seeing it mentioned obscurely. Seems like the kind of info you'd expect to have available for (and which would provide clear benefits to) this kind of event, so thought I'd point out the lack of it.

3 years ago

🌟

View attached image.
3 years ago

Okay, going off that image, you have to open a gift box before it shows. That feels a bit contradictory to being beneficial in indicating how much time you have left to deliberate/peek but, at least it exists in some form..

3 years ago

I haven't come up with any box designs D:

3 years ago

Thanks for the presents event and new thoughts from you to it :o)

I like that DLC's and free games can't be added.

It would be great if the staff would concentrate, in a team effort, then at the add game (free) tickets to have a as good as possible freebie list. Right now are around 150 tickets, from me, for that still open.

3 years ago

I would spend 5 points for each additional peek.

3 years ago

Closed 2 years ago by cg.