5th Puzzlemania event! Do not forget to join the group :)

[09.08] The event started.

[16.08] The first milestone for hints has been reached! Each puzzle contains new hints now! In case you did not find those puzzles yet, here is another hint for you to make some progress:

First, try discovering the whole upper part of the labyrinth. Checking walls there might be a bit helpful. If after that you still do not know what to do, then think about the words written at the door. Why a blind person can solve this puzzle? That's because blind people have a special writing system, and of course a blind person will immediately recognize this system. If you are stuck right after deciphering the message, then read the words written at the door once again. Can you give an example of a place, which is too hard to find?

[20.08] The second hints set has been revealed! In case you still did not find the place, which is too hard to find, here is a hint for you:

The upper part of the board contains 8 symbols written using Braille writing system. There was not enough space in the map to write the complete 8th symbol. Just assume that the rest of this symbol is empty, i.e. there are no portals in that part. Use the symbols you got to open www.itstoohard.com/puzzle/xxxxxxxx page. This url is case-insensitive.

[21.08] Now you get more treats in case you solved everything!

[26.08] We now have enough contributions for revealing the final hints! I already added them to every puzzle, so wait no more and solve the event! The hints did not help? Just fill in this form explaining where exactly you are stuck. In a couple of days I will read everything you wrote and will probably add more hints if needed.

For those who did not find the place, which was too hard to find, here you go.

[01.09] Last hints have been revealed for all the puzzles taking into consideration all your feedback I received via the google form.

[04.09] Players who solved everything have fought well for this achievement, so now they have a chance to win WWE 2K16 from the latest Humble Monthly :)

[07.09] The event ended.

[13.09] The solution and statistics have been posted.

Hey puzzle lovers,

You know what? I envy you. You know why? Just because I created a puzzle that would blow my mind. Too bad I already know all the answers since I created it. But you are in a far better position than me. You can fully enjoy this puzzle. And I really hope you will.

When I was designing this event, its difficulty level was somewhere around Nightmare. Then, I decided to ask your opinion about which difficulty level you want, and it turned out that not so many steamgifters expect Nightmare. Surprisingly enough, isn't it? :) However, I heard you and I decreased the difficulty considerably. First, I completely removed a couple of puzzles that were more difficult than the others. After it the difficulty level dropped to Ultra-Violence. However, even at this point I did not stop. I then changed the remaining puzzles in a way that they all now contain the information that I would initially only provide as hints. Eventually, I estimate the difficulty of this event as between Hurt me plenty and Ultra-Violence.

I think all the puzzles within this event are interesting and balanced. However, I understand that they might require some time to solve. I wanted to motivate players with good games to be given away and I have done my best. It would be super nice if other steamgifters also create some private giveaways that can only be accessed after solving the puzzle. To do so, you just need to create an invite-only giveaway that ends somewhere near the event finish date and send me a link to it.

Hints

I also want to try the following system for hints. Basically, I would give a hint for every puzzle simultaneously but you need earn them first! I will calculate how many points giveaways (that were created especially for this event) are worth, and once this number exceeds 300/500/600, the 1/2/3 sets of hints will be provided. Please don't be mad at me for doing this, I think it's worth a try. Also, please note that if you want your giveaways to be counted for hints, they must finish at least 24 hours before mine. This rule is here to prevent unfair players to get hints first and delete their giveaways later. If you truly need to remove a giveaway, contact me.

Hints piggy bank – 678 points gathered

Hints will be revealed once we reach 300/500/600 points

As for now, the following giveaways have been created by the contributors:

Game Contributor Number of copies Total points
Johnny Graves—The Unchosen One aztech 5 75
About Love, Hate and the other ones Asulf 1 7
Pixel Puzzles 2: Anime Asulf 1 10
Pixel Puzzles 2: Birds Asulf 1 10
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers Asulf 1 10
Nova-111 Asulf 1 9
Hektor Asulf 1 10
Ethan: Meteor Hunter Asulf 1 10
Don't Starve LookItsMrT 1 15
Terraria LookItsMrT 1 10
Dark Fear Heeroo 1 4
Savage Lands Heeroo 1 15
Humble THQ Bundle (Below Average) alpshrk 1 1
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - GotY alpshrk 1 13
Trine 2: Complete Story alpshrk 1 20
King's Guard TD Avantyr 1 3
Vortex: The Gateway Avantyr 1 20
GRID 2 Gracee 1 30
LOST PLANET® 3 Gracee 1 25
There Came an Echo Kuzurreesh 2 30
Poi Samusx 1 15
Starward Rogue Samusx 1 12
Random Access Murder Samusx 1 3
The Jackbox Party Pack 2 Samusx 1 25
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut Samusx 1 45
TransOcean: The Shipping Company Avantyr 1 20
Metrocide OnlyTwin 1 13
Sky Mercenaries OnlyTwin 1 10
Never Alone Arctic Collection chour 1 18
Outlast chour 1 20
Bardbarian chour 1 8
Hexcells Complete Pack mbishop94479 1 9
Industry Giant 2 chour 1 10
Kill The Bad Guy chour 1 10
Zoo Empire chour 1 7
Marine Park Empire chour 1 7
Auditorium chour 1 7
bit Dungeon II chour 1 4
Etherlords Bundle chour 1 7
Wizardry 8 chour 1 10
Stick RPG 2: Director’s cut chour 1 20
Demonicon chour 1 15
Hero of the Kingdom chour 1 6
Door Kickers chour 1 20
Duet chour 1 5
FORCED: Slightly Better Edition chour 1 15
Retro City Rampage DX chour 1 10

Description and giveaways

This event consists of five puzzles. First, there is the entry puzzle, which you must solve to obtain the access to other four puzzles. Those four ones can be then solved independently. Solving each puzzle (including the entry one) will give you access to a number of giveaways. The following tables define to which ones exactly. Note that this is most probably not the final version of these tables because users can create additional giveaways for this event.

The entry puzzle (5.1):

Game Number of copies Min. level End date Creator
Metrocide 2 1 September, 7 ercalote
Pineview Drive 3 1 September, 7 ercalote
Sentinels of the Multiverse 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Battleborn 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Call of Duty®: Ghosts 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Johnny Graves—The Unchosen One 5 2 September, 5 aztech
About Love, Hate and the other ones 1 2 September, 5 Asulf
Dark Fear 1 1 September, 5 Heeroo
Savage Lands 1 1 September, 5 Heeroo
Poi 1 1 September, 5 Samusx
Starward Rogue 1 1 September, 5 Samusx
Hexcells Complete Pack 1 0 September, 5 mbishop94479
Industry Giant 2 1 0 September, 5 chour
Kill The Bad Guy 1 0 September, 5 chour
Zoo Empire 1 0 September, 5 chour

Puzzle 5.2

Metrocide 3 1 September, 7 ercalote
Pineview Drive 2 1 September, 7 ercalote
Mushroom 11 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Pixel Puzzles 2: Anime 1 2 September, 5 Asulf
Pixel Puzzles 2: Birds 1 2 September, 5 Asulf
Humble THQ Bundle (Below Average) 1 1 September, 5 alpshrk
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - GotY 1 1 September, 5 alpshrk
Random Access Murder 1 1 September, 5 Samusx
The Jackbox Party Pack 2 1 1 September, 5 Samusx
Marine Park Empire 1 0 September, 5 chour
Auditorium 1 0 September, 5 chour
bit Dungeon II 1 0 September, 5 chour

Puzzle 5.3

Cthulhu Realms - Full Version 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Mount & Blade: Warband 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Call Of Duty Black Ops II 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers 1 2 September, 5 Asulf
Nova-111 1 2 September, 5 Asulf
Trine 2: Complete Story 1 1 September, 5 alpshrk
King's Guard TD 1 0 September, 5 Avantyr
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut 1 1 September, 5 Samusx
TransOcean: The Shipping Company 1 1 September, 5 Avantyr
Etherlords Bundle 1 0 September, 5 chour
Wizardry 8 1 0 September, 5 chour
Stick RPG 2: Director’s cut 1 0 September, 5 chour

Puzzle 5.4

Avernum 2: Crystal Souls 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Poi 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
The Jackbox Party Pack 2 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Just Cause 3 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Hektor 1 2 September, 5 Asulf
Ethan: Meteor Hunter 1 2 September, 5 Asulf
Vortex: The Gateway 1 0 September, 5 Avantyr
LOST PLANET® 3 1 0 September, 5 Gracee
Metrocide 1 0 September, 5 OnlyTwin
Sky Mercenaries 1 0 September, 5 OnlyTwin
Demonicon 1 0 September, 5 chour
Hero of the Kingdom 1 0 September, 5 chour
Door Kickers 1 0 September, 5 chour

Puzzle 5.5

Starward Rogue 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Random Access Murder 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Planet of the Eyes 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
DOOM 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
Don't Starve 1 0 September, 5 LookItsMrT
Terraria 1 0 September, 5 LookItsMrT
GRID 2 1 0 September, 5 Gracee
There Came an Echo 2 0 September, 5 Kuzurreesh
Never Alone Arctic Collection 1 0 September, 5 chour
Outlast 1 0 September, 5 chour
Bardbarian 1 0 September, 5 chour
Duet 1 0 September, 5 chour
FORCED: Slightly Better Edition 1 0 September, 5 chour
Retro City Rampage DX 1 0 September, 5 chour

In case you solved all 5 puzzles

Escape Dead Island 1 1 September, 7 ercalote
WWE 2K16 1 1 September, 7 ercalote

Whitelist

The Banner Saga 1 1 September, 17 ercalote

Rules

The event will run for one month (till 7th of September), I think it is enough time to finish all five puzzles. Sometimes, knowing the solutions of previous Puzzlemania puzzles (1, 2, 3, 4) will help.

I also would like to remind you that this is an individual puzzle event. It means that you must not share answers, give hints, ask for help anywhere. I reserve the rights to blacklist users and delete giveaways in case I find out that the rules are not respected.

All giveaways are for lvl1+ users and the entances are guarded with sgtools.

Big thanks

I would like to say a big thank you to SErVER51 for both his amazing sWords engine and awesome support. You should consider adding him to your whitelists. Seriously.

Also, thanks a lot to all the contributors! You really made this event more interesting!

Start

The puzzle begins here, good luck!

Hall of fame

Puzzle 5.1 Puzzle 5.2 Puzzle 5.3 Puzzle 5.4 Puzzle 5.5 Fully solved
1 yukulele53 yukulele53 chour yukulele53 reconrey reconrey
2 aapje reconrey yukulele53 nickchanger Grosie chour
3 Kuzurreesh Grosie escollo Klinge chour Citrinate
4 nickchanger escollo scuazmooq reconrey escollo escollo
5 Avantyr chour reconrey chour Antomas yukulele53
6 YoSoyPinguino Domazo OnlyTwin scuazmooq Citrinate OnlyTwin
7 scuazmooq OnlyTwin Grosie YoSoyPinguino yukulele53 scuazmooq
8 reconrey YoSoyPinguino Kuzurreesh Antomas OnlyTwin YoSoyPinguino
9 escollo Citrinate Domazo Citrinate lxc0107 nickchanger
10 chour Avantyr Citrinate escollo scuazmooq utplayer

Solution

Puzzlemania 5.1

The game of swords depicted a chess board. There were portals on sides of the board to show you that the board is looped, just like in Puzzlemania4. There were also portals on certain squares meaning that some chess piece is standing on that square. You should have opened a mood music link to figure out what piece exactly: the titles contain words 'king', 'bishop', 'pawn', so if you did not understand at this point that the dungeon is a chess board, now it should have been more clear. Many players experienced problems with seeing the colors of pieces. Here, mood music helped again: words 'mood music' themselves were written sometimes in black and sometimes in white. The portals led to the upper part of the dungeon where you could find rooms sized 2x3 with more portals. The words written at the door you needed to open hinted about the Braille writing system and ITH website. So, in the upper part of the dungeon 8 letters have been written using the Braille code. Using those letter you could come to this page.

At the ITH page you see only one question with the description "in 3" meaning that you should mate the black king in three moves. In the description of the puzzle I mentioned that previous Puzzlemania event may help you with this one, so your task and the notation for this chess problem was the same as in Puzzlemania4. One can notice that in the initial position the black king can go to the square H6 and he does so, the whote will not be able to mate because none of their pieces can attack this square. So, the first move should be to prevent the black king moving to H6. There is only one such move: Ka7. After this, the black have only move pawn to F5 (moving H7 pawn is not possible due to bishop at A8, mind the looping!). Now, square F6 became free and if the black king escapes there, white will not be able to mate him again. Thus, the second move is to prevent the black king from moving to F6, and again there only one such move: pawn to E5. Now, the only possible black move is pawn to F6, and the white them mate the black king by moving the bishop to C2.

So, the answer to the entry puzzle is: Ka7e5Bc2.

Puzzlemania 5.2

The excel file is indeed empty. However, in some cells the text is left-aligned, while in other cells it is right-aligned. If you fill these two groups of cells with different colors, you will see four strange symbols (see image below). Those are glyphs of Thirty Seconds to Mars music band. The least favourable moment for their journey is where the distance between Earth and Mars are the largest. In Orbit of Mars article this distance is stated to be 400.2 million km. The answer to the puzzle is 400200000 / 30 * 3600 = 48024000000.

Puzzlemania 5.3

In this puzzle you can see five pairs of overlapped flags. An overlapping represents a sum. How can we sum flags? We need to map them into numbers! Each flag represents a country and each country has a domain name for its websites. Each domain name can be found in the periodic table. If you find those elements and take their numbers, you will notice that Burundi + Argentina = Iran + Costa Rica = Canada + East Timor = France + Slovenia = Laos + Russia = 101. Back to the periodic table again, 101 is Mendelevium, denoted as Md. You have five pairs of flags, so the results you got can be written as Md5. The MD5 algorithm is a widely used hash function producing a 128-bit hash value.. I mentioned that there was a reason why I uploaded the image with flags at the hosting different from imgur. And the reason is that imgur changes the file name, which I obviously did not want. So, the file name (fc91b871c7d0b565e5680a46d3eade0f) is a Md5 hash! You can crack it either using special software or for example this web service. The answer is 'doom135' (the answer format 'word123' was also a hint).

Puzzlemania 5.4

First, you needed to understand what this system is. Here, the question could have helped you a bit: you needed to determine what the state of the system will be in one year. Which system can be predicted in one year? You could also noticed that in the center of this system we have letter 'S'. All these little hints could led you to the conclusion that this is the solar system with the Sun in its center. And you could actually verify this guess by looking to the left of the sun: N(eptun) U(ran) S(aturn) J(upiter) M(ars) E(arth) V(enus) M(ercury) correspond to planets. The only thing left is to calculate what will be in one year. For accomplishing this you should have calculate the percentage of an orbit each planet will travel in one Earth year, and then rotate the orbits in the Excel file (see image below). "Pick the right thing" from the question was another hint: you must look to the right of the Sun. After the rotation is made, you will see the following letters: SKYLINES. The designer of the Cities: Skylines game wsa Karoliina Korppoo.

Puzzlemania 5.5

8T6 should have hinted you that you must split each row consisting of 14 characters in two groups: one with 8 characters and the other with 6. Then, you could have noticed that the first group represents date and the other one represents time. After converting those timestamps into unix time and colorizing the digits in the same manner as it is done in the original Excel document, you get the image with the Instagram logo and digits '645 1' (see attached image). Just pick the letters corresponding to those digits from the word 'instagram' and you almost have the answer: 'gta i'. The director of this game is Keith R. Hamilton.

Conclusions

Thank you all again! Thank you SErVER51 for the game of sword engine and awesome support! Thank you all contributors, without you hints would not be revealed and almost nobody would solve the event completely. Thank you participants, 502 of you took part in this event making it the most successful Puzzlemaia event ever! This was a big event and it took a lot of my time. Many other things now need my attention, so there will not be another event from me any time soon. But don't be upset, Puzzlemania will be back eventually! Meanwhile, I added another giveaway for this event, it is for blue hearts only. I hope you had a great time solving Puzzlemania 5, see you in several months!

Statistics

Puzzles solved Number of players % of players
5 33 6.7%
4 3 0.6%
3 6 1.2%
2 6 1.2%
1 11 2.2%
0 443 88.2%
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Bump for an amazing event with impressive prizes! :)

7 years ago

Bump for being lost. Hope there are no random encounters in the labyrinth if I rest.

7 years ago

Bump for solving the first labyrinth :) But no clue about the puzzle so far^^

7 years ago

Wow, that was fast! Now we know that I did not fuck up anything at least in this part :)

7 years ago

Well, your hint was quite obvious ;) But now I'm working on the puzzle and I think I have an idea but actually no way to solve it so far :D

7 years ago

I've the feeling something important is mising to solve the puzzle! But maybe I just need tu us my brain a bit more.

7 years ago

Hm... I have the feeling that everything important is there to solve the puzzle :)

7 years ago

Okay, I think I figured out what the labyrinth is about, but I'm having trouble with that question. :P Guess I need to think some more.

7 years ago

I think I'm in the same boat as you, this is a toughy.

7 years ago

Happy cake day!

7 years ago

Oh, thanks, I didn't even notice! I haven't been on SG in a while and I coincidentally came back today, kind of neat.

7 years ago

Happy Cake Day! :)

7 years ago

Thanks!

7 years ago

Happy cake day!

7 years ago

Thanks!

7 years ago

I'm on it! Puzzle find, Answer not find yet.

7 years ago*

Puzzle 5.2 has been published. Now, if anybody solves the entry puzzle soon, they will have something to do next.

7 years ago*

And we have the first contributor! Thank you, aztech!

7 years ago

6th player here. :)

7 years ago

Not bad at all :)

7 years ago

I've understood the question, now the solution.

7 years ago

I bet you will be the first solver here.

7 years ago

Challenge accepted to find the solution before Kuzurreesh! Good luck to him, he is a great puzzle solver.

7 years ago

And you did it! My bet did not win this time :) Congrats!

7 years ago

Still can't find it, it feels like something is missing, or I'm just not seeing it.

7 years ago

I was the same as you. And I'm sure you'll end to figure it out! And of course bump for entry puzzle solved.

7 years ago

Puzzle 5.3 has been published.

7 years ago*

Bump for 7th player.

7 years ago

Penguin bump for me too for the puzzle

7 years ago*

Puzzle 5.4 has been published.

7 years ago

Some amazing games, sadly im bad with puzzles >.<'

7 years ago

Maybe it is the right time then to dive into them :)

7 years ago

Puzzle 5.5 has been published.

7 years ago

Bump for getting lost

7 years ago

Evening bump.

7 years ago

Made some good headway on the first puzzle. I thought I had the answer but I guess I was wrong

7 years ago

wow amazing. this is a fun puzzle. Bump ;)

7 years ago

thanks for a nice maze

7 years ago

Now that's thinking with portals

7 years ago

Looking at the labyrinth.. I can't find an answer to the question! Gonna sleep on it for a bit. Good puzzle(s)!

7 years ago

I voted for 'Nightmare' but let's see how nightmarish this is :)

7 years ago

I see that an other way with you! Puzzles are not nightmare for you but you are nightmare for puzzles cause you usually solve them relatively fast :D

7 years ago

Hard to be fast with so few energy reserves!

7 years ago

I have a jerricane of fuel if that can help you! :D

7 years ago

bump for 5.2 solved!

7 years ago

Bump for solving the first one

7 years ago

Yeah \o/

Good job.

7 years ago

Thanks! Not a clue yet on the second one though

7 years ago

hmm... In X15 Y12. left down right are all blocked. up leads to a portal that puts me back at x15 y12 again. I seems to be stuck.
I closed the window and reopened it. It moved to a new spot so It seems that all is good.

Well,..... Other then not finding anything yet. lol. I'll be back.

7 years ago

Just go up, don't enter the portal and go back down again and you'll exit. I was stuck there as well for a while.

7 years ago

You can also click on explored tiles (which have no portals or other objects - basically, grey tiles) on the minimap to travel there instantly.

7 years ago

Yeah, I learned that a while ago because I was getting frustrated traveling through all the portals. xD

7 years ago

Ugh wish I knew that cause I got stuck there too. -_- Oh well glad to know now!

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.