Hello Steamgifters! It is time for a special Halloween GosW adventure!

All of us like playing games, and all of us like winning games. So, how about playing a game and winning games while playing?

• Introduction

Game of sWords is a text RPG Adventure where you can explore dungeons, upgrade your hero, find useful items, weapons and artifacts, avoid deadly traps, fight dangerous monsters and interact with other players while searching for treasures (private SteamGifts giveaways links) on your way and trying to complete a quest to get access to a huge amount of private giveaways! Each quest has a limited number of winners split between 3 available classes - Barbarian, Wizard and Thief, so the chances in each giveaway will always be great.

All giveaways have no restrictions, so anyone who finds them can join them!

A lot of giveaways have been contributed by the community members, and I would like to say a big Thank You to everyone who made a contribution! :)

Here is the topic of Quest for Dungeon Heart #2

Here is the topic of Quest for Dungeon Heart #1

Here is the topic of the third Game of sWords 3.0

Here is the topic of Game of sWords 2.0

And here is the topic of the first one, which started back in November last year.

• Important notes about the Game

Your hero has Energy Points and Health Points.
Most of the actions require Energy Points. Energy can be replenished using items which you can find everywhere, thus it is important to check everything around you!

Energy also replenishes over time and that time can be reduced with special artifacts that can be found during the adventure.
Note, that the Energy won't be replenishing during the battles (you can only restore it with potions)!

If you lose all your Health Points, you will also lose all the Energy you had plus you will have to wait for a few hours to be resurrected. Energy can not be replenished while you are dead!

Note: If you have problems navigating through the map, you can switch to Simplified Navigation at the bottom right corner.

I highly recommend to visit sWords Library that has a lot of other useful information that will help you in the adventure

• Commands you can use in chat:

You can trade with other adventurers through the Chat using following command: /trade *amount* *item(s) you have* for *amount* *item(s) you want*

E.g.
/trade 5 small healing potions for 3 small energy potions
/trade 5 acceleration scrolls for 100 coins

You can drop items/scrolls/coins/arrows using following command: /drop *amount* *item(s) you have*

You can give items/scrolls/coins/arrows to other adventurer using following command: /give *id* *amount* *item(s) you have*

Note: GosW engine is not properly supported by Internet Explorer (you will encounter all kinds of nasty bugs there) and it is recommended to use one of the following browsers: Chrome (perfect), Opera (perfect) or Firefox (great, but the game works a tiny bit slower and sounds sometimes mess up a little).

Current Winners limits: Barbarians:20, Mages:20, Thieves:20.

Winners get access to all giveaways available in the Game! (60+)

Everyone who finishes the Game after the limit is reached (while it is still runnning) gets 1 random treasure as a consolation prize!

All giveaways end in about a week! The Game will last for a week.

• Time to start the Adventure!

EVERYONE is invited to play the Game and search for treasures in the adventure! :)

The only requirement is that your Steam account should be more than 90 days old.

Join the official group

and

Start playing now!

Leaderboard

Want to suggest an idea to help me improve the game? Post it here! People can upvote or downvote it, and it will help me see what people do and do not want to be implemented. Thank you!

View attached image.
7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Finished !

Place: 5 overall and 3/20 as a Mage.

In my opinion this was the funniest one !! :D

7 years ago*

And that's it, i spent everything i had on last boss and couldn't defeat it, there is no way i can gather all the resources again... thanks for a big "fuck you" to my face. To gather resources you need to kill monsters and to kill monsters you need resources.

7 years ago

The more you run away or die from monsters, the less terrible they become. And good stuff still drops from less powerful monsters. So, it is more than possible to come back into this game. I guess I was in a deeper shit than you. However, after dying 30 times I got that pumpkin.

7 years ago

Gz. I'm trying to climb back by mining, but energy to money ratio seems low (29 per 29 energy, so about 7 minutes per dig, 70 minutes for a big hpot -_-) - i mined only for a couple of pots so far, guess i'll also need a merchant hour.
Why do they become less terrible? Monster level depends on your experience and not your actual level?

7 years ago*

any hint on the mirror riddle, besides googling?

7 years ago

Would appreciate a hint on the mirror too :D

EDIT: Nvm solved it, I had the right answer from the beginning but only 1 correct way of input. I got the idea as I went off to bed and completed it in the morning.

So few giveaways this time though.. almost felt like it wasn't worth the effort, even though it was entertaining as usual.

7 years ago*

Edit: Finally I found it :)

7 years ago*

Considering the puzzle side: no, not case sensitive. I am not at that point yet.

7 years ago

Thanks for info! I just found it and edited my post.

7 years ago

14 overall, 9/20 as a Mage. YES I GOT IN THE TOP 10 MAGES WOO :]

7 years ago

15 overall, 10/20 as a Mage, pumpkin pie has been made!

Edit: a lot of very good treasures, well worth it

7 years ago*

Since my last post i got quite lucky finally. For some reason i've had only the weakest encounters which dropped some good weapons. Then i killed and robbed a guy (Silent) and with 1100hp and his money i managed to kill the last boss.
This game was a disaster for me, i barely had any bright moments.
It wasn't a good idea to riddle the dungeon with traps, at least with no way to avoid them other than luck or stepping on them and then knowing that they are there.
The last boss fatness AND cursing ability is a bit too much.
People seem to dislike the 3 ability, it hurts the experience of others, it can be used so rarely, maybe just make it deal 75% of current HP of the target if it really has to hurt other players.
Other than that rarer events are better in my opinion, first of all more time to make one so it will be the best quality possible, secondly it won't be "oh, yet another of those" rather than excitement, lastly each event will be remembered more fondly as frustration gets blurred with time rather than getting into the game with fresh wounds.

7 years ago

I just got an idea, what if instead of killing the ability would apply a status effect, barbarian - bleed or disorientation, thief - poison or blindness, mage - curse or "teleportation trap" effect.

7 years ago*

Finally finished brute forcing my way through this dungeon! I really liked the map design and some of the little tricks and puzzles it had (the memory orb would've been terrible if I wasn't paying attention or if I didn't remember where the witch was), however this was by a decent margin my worst overall experience in sWords.

As best I can tell, I was pretty unlucky. Checks and monsters yielded very little of value, especially early on, so I got into a major hole that was outrageously difficult to climb out of. I distinctly remember being level 4 (barbarian) with a starter weapon and a bow with 1 dmg more than my melee, gear that added up to +4 agi and +1 wizardry, no health or energy potions and no bandages. I was trying to be smart about escaping dangerous battles and conserving whatever I could but even if I got a streak of enemies I could handle, I was dying to attrition over and over. Late in level 4 I got my first melee weapon upgrade which was great for a couple levels of progression but I didn't see another one until after I had the pumpkin and was heading for the exit (level 10). I had 2 decent stretches after level 4 where I was able to make good map and level progress but both times I ended up back to being without any potions or bandages and just waiting for the inevitable bleed to kill me. All said and done I died 13 times. 3 of those were to players and of the remaining 10, I'd say 2 maybe could have been avoided by running, though I'd probably just die on a later enemy. Judging by the death totals I've seen on the leaderboards, a bunch of people have had it as bad as me or worse and I have nothing but sympathy for them.

I've already lamented barbs having a much slower/lower completion rate, so I don't want to get into all the balance issues, but one thing I'd like to note is that the barb's moves have much more potential to irritate other players. A rogue will steal some coins but that generally isn't much of an issue and with mining, you can exchange energy/time to get more money. Their other move converts coins to energy, so no negative effect on anyone. A mage will steal some energy but that just means you have to wait a while. Their resurrection move has just as much positive (don't need to wait for the 1 hour timer) as negative (2 debuffs) and is arguably helpful if the player brought back to life has curative items. A barb steals health and/or removes morale. Health is generally more difficult to restore and lowered morale means more time and worse results in combat which leads to even more health/energy loss. I got a number of messages from frustrated players during this run. I'm not sure how to fix this, or if it even needs fixing, but I think it's noteworthy.

I'm also interested in people's opinion on the player kill moves. Personally, I would like to see them reworked/removed. The change that only allowed a player to be killed by 1 of each class per quest was nice but I don't really think the moves promote a positive attitude toward the game. Getting killed is decidedly not fun and is especially not fun if there is no defense against it aside from having been killed 3 times before. The complete loss of health, energy and morale combined with the hour timer is brutal and after the hour, energy still needs to regenerate, so it's potentially the equivalent of upwards of a 3 hour loss. That said, the buffs are great, so it's almost always in your best interest to ruin someone else's time and enjoyment. I guess there is something to be said for the competition aspect of it and trying to beat people to the end and there is always the portion of the population who just enjoys trolling but it seems to me that most people are interested in helping each others and the market skews the competition anyway. It can certainly be satisfying to get instant revenge on someone who just stole something from you by killing them - I know DonutBig certainly gave me the business when I demoralized him this run - but that's really the only situation I can see where the surprise death is kind of warranted.

The last major thing I want to say is to please, please, please alter bleeding. Having endless duration and ticking on checks, moves and every combat move is brutal. I know it risks just becoming poison-lite with a duration but when every other debuff has one, bleed feels out of place. At very least, change the wording. A scratch shouldn't be the scariest thing in the game.

Last note: The ghost was awesome and I don't even want to know how much longer this would have taken me without it.

7 years ago

Hey, your wall of text is bigger than mine! >:(
You pretty much described my experience with this iteration of the game, i had a bit better weapon though but it didn't help much cause it was a stupid wand -_-.

7 years ago

Thanks for another game, only in the end i realized the map shape ha ha.

In the way out i helped some low level barbarians, the difficult curve is high but i think thats fine.
This was the first game i felt bad about killing people.

7 years ago*

I'm 10 passes away from the exit, with the pumpkin, and the site doesn't work anymore. Google says it is not available; is it happening only to me? :s
EDIT: it fixed by itself

7 years ago*

Thanks for another adventure, it was fun! I had a really bad start, and when I got the orb, I had almost none useful supplies. Luckily I found a gems collector and sold him some gems I had. Then, I was lucky again because the merchants announced an hour of mixed prices and the price for ressurection scrolls dropped below 200 coins, so I bought like 15 of them, so lack of HP/EP potions was not a problem any longer, I just allowed monsters to kill me and then used a scroll. Eventually, after exactly 30 deaths I managed to get that pumpkin.

7 years ago

Found my way out to finally start making the pie...
I did learn some talents along the way.
Of the 3 latest dungeons, I have been every class and I found playing the barbarian the most fun.
The mage was the only one that used his class weapon as main. Barbarian used ranged and thief used magic(no arrows)

View attached image.
7 years ago

I picked up the orb before encountering the hallowitch - am I screwed?

7 years ago

Gl finding her blindly!

7 years ago

Aaaaand... it's done. It has taken me way too long to finish, but I made some serious mistakes that prolonged the game. The beginning was quite easy, I almost believed the whole quest would be a walk. Nothing farther from the truth: as soon as I stepped on the second floor I started to die over and over, due to a consequence of bad luck, horrible decisions and sheer difficulty of the game. The spike traps section, together with the teleport tiles that returned me there, was absolutely taxing, depleting all my resources and resulting in an accumulation of deaths as the only way to stop the bleeding. The brain eaters, which I could not defeat easily at the time, did not make my life easier.

Eventually, I managed to escape that scary place and I levelled up sufficiently to avoid traps with scrolls. When I thought the worst was over, I got the orb of memory. For just a moment I considered giving up, but the damn game is too addictive, so I continued. It also helped knowing the whereabouts of the witch, not because I had explored the firsdt floor completely, but thanks to a comment on this thread. So I went on to creating my own map of the dungeon, and somehow I managed to find the witch blindly. Ironically, that part of the game was perhaps the funniest: not only did I stop dying, but travelling blindly was challenging without being too frustrating; still, I felt completely relived when the mini-map came back. From then on, it was relatively straightforward, and not even the final boss posed any signiicant problems - something I feared based on some messages here.

All in all, it has been another good adventure of Game of sWords, though in my opinion inferior to the previous ones. I understand it was a special event, so the focus was put on the unique elements of the dungeon rather than its complexity, and it's fine. If I had to change something, that would definitely be the fact that bleeding does not eventually stop; I seem to recall it was not like this in the early editions of the game. Also, it could be nice to have some kind of secret or alternative boss, since the player is usually at the peak of its might when it reaches the end, and after defeating the final boss all that power and resources are no longer useful.

And that's all, thank you again! :)

7 years ago

Finished as barbarian (7ΒΊ place as barb). I have a lot of problems because my very very bad luck with items, i couldnt find the third brain eater too and i wasted a lot of time and resources to find it, with the riddle (not the riddle but yes with the answer because 1 char) and i have a lot of bad luck with the last boss, i killed it in my third try :( but was funny :)

7 years ago

Is there some hint with mirror? I have all 3 candies but can't do anything with this goddamn mirror

7 years ago

Google. Just google whos name should I say five times in a mirror

7 years ago

Tried most common variant 5 times. Tried to repeat it 5 times in one sentence. Maybe this is some typo-problem? I wrote name without spaces.

7 years ago

I tried to google text from the comment above and got 2 results on first page (with multiple matches for each). One of them is correct.
You need to type it 5 times in one sentence.

7 years ago

ok, i've spent over 3k of energy and unlocked it at last =_=
thanks for hints

7 years ago*

number 40/60 11/20 as barbarian. The beginning was really rough this time. Still trying to think of suggestions to bring barbarians in line with other classes. All I've thought of so far is remove the energy penalty for various weapons, dual wielding and/or shields. Also it seems to be effective in the end barbarians require wizardry (up to acceleration scroll use), accuracy, strength and defense. Pretty sure mages just pump wizardry mostly and no clue on thieves.

edit: just learned # at the beginning of a post is interesting...

7 years ago

That took way too long.GG

7 years ago

I don't quite understand how anyone managed to survive the dungeon while only dying once! I'm far from done but I've died more in this one than in all of the previous ones combined :)

7 years ago

Running away - great tactic for some people.

7 years ago

Contributor advantage (market items) + experience from previous dungeons (+ some luck).
I only died that one time because a player did a kill ability on me which you cannot avoid. He did resurrect me afterwards, but it took a few turns to recover from the revive sickness and loss of morale.

7 years ago

And yes, was there devil on the level? I had 7 souls and didn't find any place to sell. Evil plan just failed.

View attached image.
7 years ago

Late bump for finished, 39 overall and 10/20 as a Barbarian.

It was a more difficult game than the last for me, even the map being simpler than the last game. It took me a long time to figure out what I had to do in the mirror -_-, sadly I have not seen many barbarians using Encourage skill during the game, and the combo to demoralize + encourage.

Thanks for the game : )

7 years ago

Ha! I finished it! I love the map designs. It was generally fun - too much bleeding though :P This was my first time as a barbarian - it's generally ok, though much slower than the thief: I love the encourage ability, the rest not so much - one thing is that I don't like hurting others much, the other thing is that I never find anyone to use them on.
The ghost was the best :D

Thanks for the game, it was fun :)

7 years ago

You are the only one who spooked me when I was around. :D

7 years ago

Spooky penguin
Not many people bought the Ghost thing so I was spooked only once, as a revenge spook :P

7 years ago

I was high up at the leaderboard so I was a more juicy target to get energy from.
I got spooked at least 10 times, only once when i could see it...

View attached image.
7 years ago

Well, I wasn't :P so it only happened on the very beginning. But it was awesome anyway ;)

7 years ago

Awww, I'll not be able to finish this one -_-'

At the beginning, I was too confident, it was almost too easy...
But once arrived downstairs.
Oh my god, down...stairs... I...
I...
I... dont... want to talk about it anymore !

28 death, in the dark and bleeding with no pots&coins, I've no time left to complete the quest.
The map design was cool, but the too many traps got me crazy XD
And, next time I'll have a pen and a paper. Definitely.

My barbarian will become a Thief or a Mage next time, to try different things ^^

7 years ago

A real Kenny, dies but still comes back.

7 years ago

XD

7 years ago

same here :,(
and then there was orb memory i didn't where i should deliver...

7 years ago

That's why next time I'll draw my own map I think ^^'

7 years ago

Don't think I'll be able to complete this quest this time. Such a shame when the only thing I have left is defeating the pumpkinhead. :(

7 years ago

my experience and a reflection

• first time barbarian
  • Favourite weapon : Rapier of Frost
  • pumpkin & cat floor design was pretty cool
  • orb memory delivery wasn't too hard. i had a pretty good memory.
  • didn't note down where spike traps were, probably should have
  • reached pumpkinhead for the first time at ~ lvl 6 (must've been extremely tired at the time because i swear it's health was like less than 500 at the start)
  • then made a horrible mistake of replacing my resistance armour because i actually thought the above was true and i wanted +4 magic (i was going for 1 magic only for the whole game)
  • pain and suffering continues when i went for try #2 and saw it was actually 1575HP.
  • got my morale up to brilliant
  • then another barbarian uses Demoralizing Roar and my morale dropped to terrible. thats when i also felt terrible, because honestly i didnt realise the skill dropped someone's morale so much. felt guilty for all the times i used it.
  • was so sure i was gonna eventually finish then realised the dungeon was ending soon (thanks to AKnightToRemember for pointing out)
  • demoralised. guess i wont be finishing.
  • potions seemed very hard to come by after all walls checked and i swear the one at x11y3 cat floor didnt even bother stocking hp pots.

for the next dungeon, i'll definitely note down things as well as read the text more
i didnt even realise the sign at the start telling me there was a beholder but i went that way any lmao
i'll also try to die less (39 deaths lmao). i get real impatient and should probably wait for my energy to recover
also didnt realise market closes when dungeon starts, couldve spent my sWord coins haha.

7 years ago*

Closed 6 years ago by SErVER51.