Because I really want to play Dark Souls, Batmans Arkhams, SMB and let my son play Toki Tori 2+.

Or do I buy a $10-ish dollar controller?

Thanks in advance.

Edit1: Thanks a lot for all of the comments. I bought a wired X360 controller. The experience playin' Dark Souls and Batman Arkham City was awesome! Which games would you recommend to acquire having this awesome controller including DS and Batman?

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

360 or suffer
Mr Noob Recommended :B

1 decade ago

Yes I'd say do get it.

But be careful to pick up the official Microsoft one and not a knock off. :)
Although I bought the proper one last month and the right trigger was so squeaky I returned it because it was driving me insane. :P
Also I'd say go for the wired one if you are going to use it on the PC. There is really no point in dealing with batteries unless you have your PC connected to a TV and you can play from the couch.

Have a lovely day

Soldat

1 decade ago

How old is your son? Is he rough on toys or does he take good care of his stuff? The 360 controller is great, I've owned one for years and it still works to this day. That said I would recommend one of the newer controllers with the transforming d-pad. The standard d-pad on the 360 controller isn't as precise. If you want to go the wireless route, make sure you also pick up the wireless receiver that plugs into your PC's usb port. The Plug-n-Play cable that comes with wireless controllers will only charge the battery and does not allow the controller to connect to the PC for playing.

1 decade ago

If you don't have any yet, get one. If you have another good controller without stupid xinput controls (why on earth they created this if not to messed up pc gamers?!), then copy a file named x360ce http://www.x360ce.com/default.aspx in the directory of your game and run it once. It will make your controller emulate a xbox 360 controller. This way you can play the Batman trilogy, Darksouls and all the other great games out there. If you get another type of controller be sure you have two shoulder buttons on each side as it's a must have to play Darksouls and many others properly. Have fun!

1 decade ago

Xbox 360 controller is the best, xbox 360 isn't good

1 decade ago

I would buy an official, first party Xbox 360 controller, because they are both sturdy and mostly compatible with most games (not all, but most Steam games support a 360 controller).

1 decade ago

wait for xbox one controller or steam controller

1 decade ago

The XBOne controller compatibility is still a ways away unless Microsoft actually does the work...

I do remember reading about someone getting theirs to work on a few games in Windows 8, but not without modding the actual hardware I believe. (Don't quote me on the hardware mod as I'm not 100% sure about that, but I do know that it's not something that the average end user could do on their own to get it to work)

1 decade ago

Best controller I have used so yes.

1 decade ago

As seems to be the consensus, the 360 is a solid controller at a decent price, and also the most compatible. I would say it's worth it.

1 decade ago

yes!

1 decade ago

I bought two cheap controllers that broke and decided to buy an Xbox 360 one. Not a single regret from this decision. Best controller I've ever had. I use it to play all kind of 2D and 3D games. It's totally worth it ;)

1 decade ago

I'm looking for Xbox 360 controller myself. But those official are quite expensive on ebay. Anyone know where I can get one a bit cheaper?

1 decade ago

yup, wired 360

1 decade ago

I recently bought the wired Xbox 360 controller and it's totally worth it. I never played with a controller before, but now i don't want to miss it.

1 decade ago

I went the cheaper route and got a PowerA PS3 PC controller, which ironically is set up almost exactly like an XBox 360 controller and it's given me nothing but a headache...

It works fine for older games but anything "fairly" new it flips the analog stick so down is up and up is down with no way of changing it in any settings... >_<

I haven't tried it with any of the games you have listed besides Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, which I believe it didn't work for either. Though I found them much easier to play with a mouse and keyboard anyway.

If you do decide to get a cheap controller then I strongly advise you to NOT buy any made by PowerA, you should definitely look into getting one made by MadCatz, they make really good peripherals, I own 2 different MadCatz PS2 controllers (both wireless) and they worked flawlessly for years! One died after about 6 years of use because my niece dropped it and the other still works perfectly fine after 5 years of heavy use.

Logitech also make really good third party controllers.

1 decade ago

I really enjoy my wired 360 controller for certain games, but a PS3 controller using Motioninjoy and the cable works too. But either way, its worth having a good controller for PC. Sometimes, they just don't port things well to PC and its easier to use the controller. Trying to control the vehicles in Red Faction: Guerrilla was a headache with the KB+M, but its fine with the controller.

1 decade ago

NO !!

1 decade ago

Just buy a wired 360 controller. It works perfectly and it's definitely the best controller out there.

1 decade ago

hmm how about waiting for the official steam controller?

1 decade ago

I own one myself and it's a pretty damn nice controller.

1 decade ago

Sure if you own Xbox 360. If you have PC though, use keyboard and mouse.

1 decade ago

Get a Wired XBOX 360 controller if you're going to get one at all. I write software and the XBOX 360 controller sitting on my desk plugged in to my PC is proof enough that we develop against these things. :)

1 decade ago

I had many controllers, but this one is the best by far. I have the wireless version.

1 decade ago

I think it's totally worth it. I've been through many controllers in my decades of PC gaming, and nothing compares to the Xbox for Windows wireless controller I got a few months ago. In the very little console gaming I do, I'm more of a PS3 person, but I have to hand it to Microsoft for their Xbox controllers. Superb in every way.

1 decade ago

Yes. 100%. I just bought a rockcandy 360 wired for $20 @ Walmart.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Falakienos.