I see that the game is not and has never been on Steam (unless they used a different title). Anywhere to get legally a copy of this game?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(video_game)
https://www.mobygames.com/game/7168/the-thing/

Edit:
OK, so nothing official but 2nd hand reselling. I was looking for Windows version btw. Thanks everyone!

3 months ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

ebay? amazon marketplace?

3 months ago

Maybe you have a similar platform like Rebuy there, where you can buy and sell used nedia and stuff?

3 months ago

You won't find that on any official storefront for sale as the license agreement is long gone. The one I found on Amazon for PC is from a person selling from his house, which he's probably listed it on ebay and other sites as well.

DKOldies is a site the sells console games and they have it for the PS2. They have international shipping as well.

https://www.dkoldies.com/thing-the-ps2-game/

3 months ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 months ago.

3 months ago

Thanks for the intention but you better delete that link before you get into trouble.

3 months ago

If a game has been unavailable for so long that it ends up on My Abandonware, you're not gonna get in trouble for sharing download links or downloading from them. EDIT: If you don't believe that site is reputable, just look at their page for Sudeki; when it popped up on Steam for sale again, they removed their own download link for it and just linked to the Steam page instead.

You're safe, dude. Go ahead and play that game.

3 months ago*

you must've missed the rule about not linking to pirated stuff.

3 months ago

Hard to pirate stuff when nobody declares ownership in maritime terms I'd call it salvage.

3 months ago

you can call it whatever you want, it's still illegal and shouldn't be linked in a place that forbids linking to such content.

3 months ago

If there's nowhere to buy the game firsthand, it's not piracy and not illegal, thus it doesn't break site rules and isn't forbidden to link to it here. You can tell that the mods agree because it's been over 10 hours and the link is still up and the user hasn't been suspended or anything.

I can understand you--an ordinary user--being hesitant about this grey area, but at this point, there's enough evidence to show your fears are unfounded. Look, I'll also link there and you can see if something happens to me: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/sudeki-cwo

3 months ago

Copyright remains for up to 70 years after the copyright holders death. So 'abandonware' isn't legal. So, no. abandonware is not legal plus it is also against the ToS to post referral links to sites like that. As for the mods here, well there are a LOT more support tickets than mods at times and they can't answer them all in a timely manner.

3 months ago

of course it's fucking illegal. educate yourself before spreading nonsense. and stop being a condescending dick while you're at it. oh, and if you think mods are omnipresent and deal with everything within minutes (or sometimes ever), you must be new here.

3 months ago

Nothing happens when you just pick a game that points to a store where you can actually buy it, if it was a download game then for sure you would have been suspended.

Many games have their rights lost in limbo, the only way is to forget about them, or find a copy for 100+ euro on ebay, in my opinion i am glad with projects such as redump.org it's not even about piracy and playing the games but preservering them 1:1 so that these games actually can keep existing. If no legal methods are given i am all open for other alternatives, but no abandonware is not legal, and never will be.
Heck even 25 years ago when internet just came up, and everyone could get free space and a url, so many people posted under the name of abandonware and they were taken off just as quickly.

Weird is how places such as archive.org where you can play old games online through dosbox are somehow deemed okay.

3 months ago

You should be able to find an Xbox copy on eBay pretty easily. I'd imagine you could find a Windows CDRom as well on eBay.

3 months ago

The ones selling on ebay are kinda expensive for such an old game and they're on CD also so if you don't use CD/DVD then it's a no-go. If you've gone out of your way trying to find a digital copy for a reasonable price but still can't locate one I would just pirate it. I consider it abandonware and have no problem downloading it.

3 months ago

why have urgent need to have The Thing by only readin title. why.

why

3 months ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.