So little choices for the Steam Awards. Usually, the same stuff, usually only the newest and the shiniest get any recognition. I thought we might as well give our very own, totally biased awards for games of the year. It doesn't need to be the games released during 2019, just the ones you liked the most.

The only rules for this are simple. Give your rewards only to games you actually played and finished ( or spent a lot of hours with them. Some games are basically endless). Only games you played during 2019. Give a little reason (optional).

I'm thinking in 13 basic categories, but feel free to add others if you like. So...

1. Game Of The Year.
  2. Best Game I Won On Steamgifts.
  3. The "I Thought It Was Trash But Wasn't (not that much anyway)" award.
  4. The "Took Me Way Too Long To Finish It" award
  5. The "Sequel Was Better Than the First Game" award.
  6. Best RPG/ARPG/Adventure
  7. Best Puzzle/ HO/ VN
  8. Best Turn-Based/ Tactics/ Stealth
  9. Best RTS/ Platformer/
  10. Best Action/FPS/TPS
  11. Best Retro (PC Games released from 1990-2010)

The last two are the "Razzies", worst of the year in your opinion.

1. Worst Game That I Managed To Finish.
  2. Bugs Galore/ Crashes All the Time/ Have to Figure Out How To Make It Run/ Confusing As Hell (I really tried to finish it but...) award.

Guess I'll go ahead and post mine:

1. Gothic 2. What a great game.
  2. Orwell. Pretty casual. Good story.
  3. Sniper Art of Victory. Hated on reviews, but a decent pastime.
  4. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. Months and Months.
  5. Ground Control 2. Compared to the first, a new game.
  6. Nothing really.
  7. Silence of the Sleep. Little big game.
  8. Heroes of Might & Magic V: Tribes of the East. Good Standalone expansion.
  9. Empire Earth Gold Edition. It's just like Age of Empires but almost nobody knows about it.
  10. Red Faction. It's almost like Half-Life but original enough.
  11. Freedom Force (2002). Gothic 2 is a good choice, but I have to give it to the very original and really funny game of superheroes not affiliated to any multi-million entertainment company.
  12. Ground Control. This is one of those games that you finish just cause you won't accept to be beaten by the damn thing.
  13. The Troma Project. This suck in every category but the raunchy Troma´s humor.
4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Most games I played this year were:

View Results
Great
Good
Mediocre
Trash
Free shovelware
I played nothing

Game Of The Year - Disco Elysium. Best writing I've ever seen in games.
Best Game I Won On Steamgifts - The Beast Inside. I usually hate survival horror, but this one is actually pretty fun.
The "I Thought It Was Trash But Wasn't (not that much anyway)" award - Skyrim. Yep.
The "Took Me Way Too Long To Finish It" award - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (and I didn't even do DLCs)
The "Sequel Was Better Than the First Game" award - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (meaning that it was better than Origins, haven't really played any of the previous games)
Best RPG/ARPG/Adventure - Disco Elysium. 2009 was probably the first year of my gaming with an RPG and not an adventure game as my GOTY.
Best Puzzle/ HO/ VN - OPUS: Rocket of Whispers
Best Turn-Based/ Tactics/ Stealth - XCOM 2
Best RTS/ Platformer/ - SpellForce 3 (I enjoyed the RPG part and cheated severely in RTS segments because I hate RTS)
Best Action/FPS/TPS - just not my genres.
Best Retro (PC Games released from 1990-2010 - Black Mirror (2002). Haven't played it for maybe 10 years, and, well, it's still deeply flawed and still amazing.

Worst Game That I Managed To Finish - Drizzlepath: Deja Vu. The visuals are pretty, but it's a walking simulator at its worst - devoid of any gameplay and full of pseudophilosophical cliches, horribly superficial and pretentious.
Bugs Galore/ Crashes All the Time/ Have to Figure Out How To Make It Run/ Confusing As Hell (I really tried to finish it but...) award - ATOM RPG. It's a Russian turn-based RPG that looks pretty decent, but features horribly broken Russian, and neither developers nor players admit that it's an issue. I've actually broken the "played and finished" rule here, I couldn't play this game for more than 15 minutes.

4 years ago*

I might try this. I didn't even know about that one. ;)

4 years ago

Sure, let us do this!

1. Game Of The Year: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Game of the Year Edition)
    I agree with the world: fantastic story, fantastic characters, fantastic graphics, fantastic music, super smooth gameplay... I guess I could complain about inventory management, but everything else was about perfect.

2. Best Game I Won On Steamgifts: Baba is You
    There is a very good puzzler there, and then there is an incredibly very good puzzler in there, and then there is an amazing puzzler in there.

3. "I Thought It Was Trash But Wasn't (not that much anyway)": Living Legends: The Frozen Fear Collection
    Story is super corny, but gameplay actually had its moments. Enjoyable.

4. "Took Me Way Too Long To Finish It": Baba is You
    I spent many hours just staring at the screen, trying to figure out the puzzles...

5. "Sequel Was Better Than the First Game": Call of Juarez (Bound in Blood)

6. Best RPG/Adventure: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Game of the Year Edition)
    (Different from #1? The Invisible Hours... though it is more "interactive theater" than a game.)

7. Best Puzzle/HO/VN: Baba is You
    (Different from #2? One Small Fire at a Time... Story often surprised me.)

8. Best Turn-Based/ Tactics/ Stealth: it's a tie: Slay the Spire and Shadow Tactics (Blades of the Shogun).

9. Best RTS/ Platformer: Frostpunk
    The dramatic escalation of the main campaign was amazing. I never in a game spent so much time at the edge of my seat just watching and waiting for time to pass.

10. Best Action/FPS/TPS: Forza Horizon 4
    If we are doing driving and sports within action.

11. Best Retro: Call of Juarez (Bound in Blood)
    (Different? Risen... It is not that great, but its geography is stellar, I enjoyed the exploration. Hey, if you enjoyed Gothic 2, this is like a more modern version of it!)

12. Worst Game That I Managed To Finish: 150,000 B.C.
    This got me to write a review on Steam. I copy it here:
    "It would be acceptable if my 10-year old son (or daughter) had developed it, because a father's protective love can see goodness shining from any honest effort from his beloved ones.
    Alas, I have no son. Nor daughter."

13. Confusing: Crazy Machines Elements
    Puzzles suffered from "you change something here, and something unrelated changes over there". But I did finish it.

4 years ago*

Baba is you sounds interesting.

Yup, I already played Risen. I actually went and got me the Gothic games because of that one. ;)

4 years ago

1. Game Of The Year: Redout: Enhanced Edition - One of the most adrenaline filled games I've ever played, racing feels so smooth and incredible soundtrack. Had the biggest smile on my face the entire time playing.

2. Best Game I Won On Steamgifts: HITMAN 2 - Loved this even more than I could've expected, super immersive and satisfying stealthing along. Lots of different ways to kill (or not). My first Hitman game and makes me excited for upcoming ones. One of my favourites of the year.

3. "I Thought It Was Trash But Wasn't (not that much anyway)": Slash It 2 - It's simple but very fun & addictive for what it is.

4. "Took Me Way Too Long To Finish It": 100% Orange Juice - A couple of those final missions were SO TOUGH. Am proud to have beaten it though and will pick it up on/off in the future.

5. "Sequel Was Better Than the First Game": -

6. Best RPG/Adventure: - (I'm torn between two) A Short Hike - Short but lovely atmosphere and soundtrack, very feelsgood. Much like playing an Animal Crossing game, loved it while playing.
    PLANET ALPHA - It has it's flaws (specifically the puzzle boxes bits) but honestly enjoyed this way more than the mixed reviews lead me to believe. One of the most gorgeous & immersive games I've played, was an adventure for sure.

7. Best Puzzle/HO/VN: Unheard - An ASMR immersive detective solving game, really surprised me.

8. Best Turn-Based/ Tactics/ Stealth: Dicey Dungeons - Have been obsessed with this game for many months of the year, can't pinpoint why exactly but it's fun, addictive, has cute characters and different playstyles.

9. Best RTS/ Platformer: Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - Had a blast playing this co-op with my brother, the gameplay is responsive and the humour is great.

10. Best Action/FPS/TPS: Gato Roboto - Another fun, short & sweet game. Hard to put down.

11. Best Retro: Slipstream - Immensely fun and satisfying, love the artstyle and has one of my favourite soundtracks.

12. Worst Game That I Managed To Finish/Bugs: Late Shift - Simply because I came across so many random black screens of death, never in the same exact spot and no way to fast forward. I spent hours pushing through it before having a lucky 15 min spurt of no black screen.

4 years ago*

I need to try Slipstream. Sounds like fun. ;)

4 years ago*

1. Game Of The Year. - Halo (original retail one) - Great game, I can easily see how it became a franchise.
  2. Best Game I Won On Steamgifts - Valiant Hearts - really enjoyable and with some poignant story, also set in WWI!
  3. The "I Thought It Was Trash But Wasn't" award - Pegasus-5 - RPGMaker games get plenty of hate, but not this.
  4. The "Took Me Way Too Long To Finish It" award - The Longest Journey (lived up to it's name), also, Little Witch Academia.
  5. The "Sequel Was Better Than the First Game" award. - Bioshock 2 - I'm not going to argue
  6. Best RPG/ARPG/Adventure -Dungeon Siege III - got slammed on release, but it's a pretty decent game.
  7. Best Puzzle/ HO/ VN - Highway Blossoms
  8. Best Turn-Based/ Tactics/ Stealth - not sure, so voted for Mad Age & This Guy, a bit of a hidden gem, really enjoyed this one
  9. Best RTS/ Platformer/ - Unbox or A Short Hike - both cute games, A Short Hike had a smaller scope but a nicer world.
  10. Best Action/FPS/TPS - Deadfall Adventures - Tomb Raider-esque, but with it's own charm
  11. Best Retro (PC Games released from 1990-2010) - Already voted for Halo, so I'll go with LEGO Indiana Jones instead. Found it really fun
  12. Worst Game That I Managed To Finish - I, Hope - some might have enjoyed it, but I did not. (dis)honorable mention Her Story.
  13. Bugs Galore/ Crashes All the Time/ Have to Figure Out How To Make It Run/ Confusing As Hell (I really tried to finish it but...) award. I don't take note of games I don't finish due to failures, etc, but the buggiest game I completed was Flynn & Freckles
4 years ago*

Mad Age & This Guy looks interesting. Should try that one.

4 years ago

Game Of The Year: CELESTE - 
Best Game I Won On Steamgifts: Gas Guzzlers Extreme
The "I Thought It Was Trash But Wasn't (not that much anyway)" award: Avalanche 2: Super Avalanche (It's a lot of fun)
The "Took Me Way Too Long To Finish It" award: Dead Cells. Finished it on easy, this year I finished it on hard. 
The "Sequel Was Better Than the First Game" award.  Resident Evil 2 Remake
Best RPG/ARPG/Adventure: A Short Hike 
Best Puzzle/ HO/ VN: Baba is you
Best Turn-Based/ Tactics/ Stealth: Desktop Dungeons. It's the only one that I play every year.
Best RTS/ Platformer/ Didn't play RTS this year. INSIDE was the best platformer.
Best Action/FPS/TPS: Shadow Warrior 2
Best Retro (PC Games released from 1990-2010): Flashback (the GOG release)

Worst Game That I Managed To Finish. Daikatana. Couldn't finished it, but I forced myself through a good chunk of the game.
Bugs Galore/ Crashes All the Time/ Have to Figure Out How To Make It Run/ Confusing As Hell (I really tried to finish it but...) award.: The original Rune. I tried, but I don't have the patience anymore.
4 years ago

Well, might as well wishlist that Baba game.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

4 years ago

I kinda was avoiding Red Faction 2 because of the bad reviews. Maybe should give it a try.

4 years ago

1. Assassins Creed Unity
  2. Lords of the Fallen (still in progress)
  3. ---leave that one open
  4. Goodbye Deponia (not by playing time...stopped playing it for some reason and then finished it this year)

5. Divinity Original Sin

6. Worms Revolution
  7. Ori and the blind Forest
  8. Spec Ops: The Line
  9. Shank (Always need to give Klei Entertainment something)

4 years ago

If best Coop counts as a new Category, I vote for "A Way Out"

4 years ago

1. Game Of The Year: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  2. Best Game I Won On Steamgifts: Batman Arkham Knight
  3. The "I Thought It Was Trash But Wasn't (not that much anyway)" award: Chicken Invaders 3 - 5
  4. The "Took Me Way Too Long To Finish It" award: The Witcher 1 (I restarted the game after act 2 because I didn't like the outcome of the "detective" questline)
  5. The "Sequel Was Better Than the First Game" award: Portal 2
  6. Best RPG: Divinity: Original Sin 2
  7. Best Puzzle: Q.U.B.E. 2
  8. Best Turn-Based: Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
  9. Best Platformer: Trine
  10. Best Action: Spec Ops: The Line
  11. Best Retro (PC Games released from 1990-2010): Risen

Razzies:

1. Worst Game That I Managed To Finish: The Deer
  2. (I really tried to finish it but...) award: Gothic 2 (As a kid, I played it with cheats. A while back I tried playing it properly. First, I had to fix the game to even run (it didn't run via Steam), Then I couldn't even attack enemies, the character was just standing there. After I figured that out, I played for a few hours until the game got so hard that it had become really frustrating. I know that this was probably a timeless classic and an RPG milestone, but from todays point of view, I really actually don't like playing it. Sorry)
4 years ago

Game Of The Year:Dark Souls.
Best Game I Won On Steamgifts:Hitman.Actually I'm playing it right now.
Best RPG/ARPG/Adventure:Divinity: Original Sin 2.
Best Puzzle/ HO/ VN:Reventure.It's a little indie game,but it's funny.I suggest you try it.
Best Turn-Based/ Tactics/ Stealth:Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.
Best Action/FPS/TPS:My Friend Pedro.
Worst Game That I Managed To Finish:Assassin's Creed® Origins.The only reason I finished it is because I don't want to waste my money......

4 years ago

1. Game Of The Year. - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd - I liked the first two games better, but this one is still good and makes for a good expansion of the story and tease the sequel series
  2. Best Game I Won On Steamgifts. - OKAMI HD - classic that probably doesn't need an introduction, really nice but feels a bit stretched
  3. The "I Thought It Was Trash But Wasn't (not that much anyway)" award. - Haydee - I didn't really expect it to be trash or I wouldn't have touched it at all, but it was better than you might expect from a T&A game.
  4. The "Took Me Way Too Long To Finish It" award - Phantom Brave - one of those games where you have to abuse the system to succeed, I still liked it, but I feel like I spent too much time on not getting rekt
  5. The "Sequel Was Better Than the First Game" award. - Princess Remedy 2: In A Heap of Trouble - the first game was good, the second game was good, not much to add
  6. Best Adventure - Paradigm - delightfully bizarre, the main complaint I have about it is that it didn't come out in Polish so the screenshots were even more confusing to foreign friends who see them in their feeds
  7. Best Puzzle - Pepper's Puzzles - I didn't have an opportunity to play a Picross game before, and this is nice
  8. Best VN - VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action - quite enjoyable VN that is both adult themed and not hentai
  9. Best Strategy - Majesty Gold HD - not really a new one for me, but I felt like digging out this classic
  10. Best Platformer - Sonic Mania - I only know of Sonic from his 2D games, and it's nice to see a new one again
  11. Best Action - Neko Navy - I didn't play much actiony games this year, but this one was cool
  12. Best Retro (PC Games released from 1990-2010) - TRON 2.0 - I had it in my wishlist for ages and finally played it, it was pretty much what I expected
  13. Honorable Obscure Game Award - Voltage Drop - surprisingly nice little game that doesn't have much traction for some reason, I feel compelled to at least bring it up

Razzies:

1. Worst Most Underwhelming Game That I Managed To Finish. - Neptunia Shooter - I can't think of one that's actually bad, but this one would have probably been better as a free release
  2. "I really tried to finish it but..." award. - Wings of Vi - one the worst kinds of game to have poor framerates and input lag
4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

4 years ago

Game Of The Year.
7 Days to die - happy and unhappy of some change they made in the v18, but yeh still got my crush on that one ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/7_Days_to_Die/ )

Best Game I Won On Steamgifts.
Sword Legacy: Omen - good surprise story wise and the turn-based battle are good for what I've played yet. ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/690140/Sword_Legacy_Omen/ )

The "I Thought It Was Trash But Wasn't (not that much anyway)" award.
Ziggurat - thought it was more on the "overrated joke game" side; but nope, just nailed it. great gameplay in fact. ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/308420/Ziggurat/ )

The "Took Me Way Too Long To Finish It" award
FortressCraft Evolved - Already 280h and I didn't yet finished the vanilla version and I just bought the whole DLC bundle in the steam winter sale XD ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/254200/FortressCraft_Evolved/ )

Best Puzzle
Infinifactory. Lol I like the challenge of trying to figure out how the hell other players managed to find a solution that use less block, is faster, or have a smaller footprint. Still trying to do it all by myself. ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/300570/Infinifactory/ )

Best FPS
Destiny 2. ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/1085660/Destiny_2/ )

"Worst" Game That I Managed To Finish.
We shouldn't talk about the hentai, echi and a-like that I have in my library and enjoy.... never mind! Crush crush ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/459820/Crush_Crush/ ) a silly idle-click game.
Well technichally not finished as they are many LTE girls (limited time girl, you need to log in and grind for like at least 14d in a row to unlock that I didn't unlock, and my autoclicker script failed me to finish karma & sutra and the dark one. Because let's be honest, if I had to do it really manually and without cheating it would take literally years to finish it)

Bugs Galore award.
Palabugs. Well they kindy made a great progress that year; now when it crashes, the crash reporter thingy is much faster XD ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/444090/Paladins/ ). And I still play it on a regular basis, what's wrong with me X_x

4 years ago

1. Game Of The Year - Yakuza Kiwami 2

2. Best Game I Won On Steamgifts - Kingsway
    ...just because it's the only game I won on SG this year and the only one I played.

3. The "I Thought It Was Trash But Wasn't (not that much anyway)" award - Serious Sam 2
    I also considered Fallout 4 for this award.

4. The "Took Me Way Too Long To Finish It" award - Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!
    CSD2 took me around 130 hours of playtime and 1.5 years to complete but that's just because I insisted on getting all 400 gold medals in C4H mode and all milestones in CSD mode. Was it worth it? Damn right it was!

5. The "Sequel Was Better Than the First Game" award - Mafia II

6. Best RPG/ARPG/Adventure - Dex

7. Best Puzzle/ HO/ VN - The Talos Principle

8. Best Turn-Based/Tactics/Stealth - Shadwen
    Not really the best choice but it was either that or Ronin.

9. Best RTS/ Platformer - Dust: An Elysian Tail

10. Best Action/FPS/TPS - Just Cause 3

11. Best Retro (PC Games released from 1990-2010) - Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven
    If re-releases counted as well then I would've picked Shenmue I & II instead.

12. Worst Game That I Managed To Finish - None!

13. Bugs Galore/ Crashes All the Time/ Have to Figure Out How To Make It Run/ Confusing As Hell (I really tried to finish it but...) award - Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven
    ...however I think it's me who should be blamed. I tried to mod the game for better graphics and the game ended up crashing quite frequently, around every 20 minutes of playtime but I managed to fix that somehow late in my playthrough.

And here's an extra award from me:

1. Best Hidden Gem - Dum-Dum
4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.