I don't remember seeing a mention of this, but then again I'm never online..
Today I noticed a game (gift) I have in my inventory became region locked (SEA). I have the game already and kept the extra for some other use like give to a friend, trade or gift, so I wasn't paying attention to its status. But it's upsetting to realise that they can retroactively change the status of any game, even though you know that's always the issue with DRM..it's just not your game
And there you have it, that's all..

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Totally irrelevant poll: In how many greylists are you in?

View Results
???
You mean Blacklists?
You mean Whitelists?
Black+White=...Ah gotcha!
Enough with the lists already

13 minutes without reversed.. new record!

7 years ago

What game was it? Was it always region locked, and they just added a tag to it?

7 years ago

Look below. Not it wasn't locked when I received it. That much I remember.

7 years ago

Your post isn't really clear. Is the game in question a steam gift? If so this isn't retroactive as spawned gift copies typically are region locked even if the original key/gift wasn't.

7 years ago

The game was Spacechem from that Humble Bundle that gave 2 gifts when you activated one. Someone gave me their gift and it certainly wasn't region locked when I got it. I just hadn't noticed when it got locked but it was fairly recently, ie not more than a month or so.

7 years ago

This is not the problem about HB, its all about Steam, and nothing new, a lot of games happened that way:

There is no warning message on the gift, most likely it is an extra gift spawned when activating a key of the game, or opening a 4-pack. These gifts are always locked to the region where the original copy was activated.

7 years ago

The extra gifts of the same game are a common case and I remember the uproar about them. This was slightly different as it came after activating another game. I made a mistake on this post above and said it came from same game. My bad..

7 years ago

I understand, thats just a coincidence because Steam just add the warning message to Steam gift locked (was spawned when actived a key but has no warning message before) recently. I can confirm that because I live in region-locked area too, thats so annoying.

7 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 years ago.

7 years ago

Problem is with Capcom and not Humble...

7 years ago

Shouldnt you blame your government?
Still, HB should have posted a warning

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 7 years ago.

7 years ago

You have to comply with the laws of the country you are selling at. It's another question how most publishers interpret the German laws related to showing violence in video games and who can those be sold to.

7 years ago

That is simply wrong. If you're selling something to a customer in Germany you have to comply with the laws in that country. Otherwise, with your logic, selling drugs from a foreign country would be totally legal.
Also, for example, if Steam allowed german customers to buy and activate games with swastikas in it they could face criminal charges and be arrested whenever they come to Germany.
One other thing: german laws and punishments can still be applied for crimes committed in another country. Like war crimes, child abuse, rape.

7 years ago*

Lol? They can get into potential problems with that move. If Humble have lawyers like you they'd have gone bankrupt already.

Humble just want to do business, not dealing with stupid digital war against stupid government. Blame your gov, don't blame Steam or Humble.

7 years ago

are you talking about a game in your humble inventory?

7 years ago

No, about a game in my steam inventory.

7 years ago

how do you get a humble game into your steam inventory?
this is just typical steam region lock policy.
they have changed it before and it affected everything not activated .

7 years ago

They had a bundle for another game and when you activated that in steam it automatically gave you this game in your inventory.

7 years ago

humble has no power over steam policy so the region lock is from steam and has nothing to do with humble.

7 years ago

The point is that I didn't purchase the game via steam, it was bundled with Humble. Of course the person that gave me the game was from SEA which explains the retroactive lock or it would make no sense why they chose that region but the fact remains that I got a game as a gift, and later, much later, it was region locked. If I didn't have the game already I would have ended up with a useless gift and more frustrated but now I'm just giving a heads up to others who have had similar trades/exchanges/gifts and maybe haven't noticed the change.

7 years ago

this is nothing new, it happened before.
i'm sorry for you and others but this won't change steams region locking.
you could make a SEA region lock GA.

7 years ago

I never had any dreams about such a change. Just a heads up (another one I suppose) for people who might have gifts in their inventory that didn't use..

7 years ago

Are you sure it was recent?
Steam gift trading changes
I don't see any actual region locks on SpaceChem, so I'm thinking that the above is the cause.

7 years ago

The gift I got around December 2015 and it was almost definitely not region locked. I say almost just to leave a very small percentage just in case. But yeah, it wasn't locked or I would've used it back then in a giveaway as I have no use for it.

7 years ago

Well, the game itself doesn't need any region lock, but nonetheless, when you buy a Steam gift in a locked country, it will be tagged and locked down to that specific region. This is what the "no cross-region trading" warning put up by Enhanced Steam refers to. Even completely independent games that have zero regions are falling into this category to prevent regional pricing exploits.

7 years ago

How can you be sure it wasn't already locked, just without the proper tag?

7 years ago

+1 it was locked from the beginning for sure.

7 years ago

Fair point. So there's a chance it was locked, without any indication whatsoever and it would only mention it when I would try to activate the gift? I thought locked games would have at least some indication when you just click on them and see the description.
On the other hand there was no such talk, from what I remember, about locked games from Humble back in December, although admittedly that is kind of a rare case because the gift appeared when you activated another game (you probably remember the case)

7 years ago

Usually yes, but not all. For example, I had this happen: a player gifted me a game (steam gift), I activated it fine and it created another copy of the gift. However, despite me being in row region and it having no tags, when I tried to activate it on an alt, it turned out being region locked.

7 years ago

Yes, it happened to me to.

Few months ago, I activated Gun Monkeys CD Key, which gives me an extra copy to my inventory. That time, the gift doesn't have a region locked mark. And few days ago, there's Space Farmers CD Key giveaway on gleam which is also gives me an extra copy, and that time there's no region-locked mark. Now, both gifts have the region-locked mark.

So, it seems that if you activated a ROW key which gives you an extra copy to your inventory, it becomes region-locked if you activated in restricted country (such as SEA, RU, LATAM). I remember that in the past, many users complained about cannot activated an extra gift copy even though there's no region-locked mark on it, and now Steam fixed it by applying the region-locked mark.

7 years ago

Seems like the exact case. Well another heads up I suppose..

7 years ago

this happened to me too recently...

7 years ago

I still have the gift I got from activating a key but it's not been region locked, I can't quite remember who I got the game from but I'm fairly certain they were from USA or UK

7 years ago

This is one more reason not to have anything in your inventory for too long...

BTW, I'm was on exactly 917,882 greylists a minute ago.

7 years ago

Exactly? Lies!!!
I usually don't keep them that much but this was an extra copy hence.. But on the bright side, it will end up in my next giveaway so will make some SEA-related person happi-er ;)

7 years ago

Yeap, exactly: 918543-560-101

Update: I was right the first time. (Total SteamGifts users - Whitelist - Blacklist)

7 years ago

If I didn't know you better I would have thought you're trying to sneak in a hidden giveaway :-o

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

7 years ago

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.