Well, first I wanted to start the topic title with "Am I the only one ....". But then I remembered my ever returning urge to punch everyone in the face who uses this sentence. Because with a probability of 95 % and higher the answer is "no" unless you are doing something really extraordinary. So with this small rant over here the question:

Who else has the feeling that Steam tries to make them racist/creating prejudices. This is actually meant half-jokingly but going through the store there seems to be a muster. I actually am in favor for an open store because more choice can never be bad and I will keep this stance. But there are several cheap games, often even the same game with multiple skins created by people from a certain country. I see the trailer and think: "Hey this looks effortless/uninspired." Then I scroll down the page to look at available languages and ....."Why am I not surprised?". Sometimes they try to circumvent it by not giving this information (even when the game actually has text) but then you see it by their names or even in the trailer because they were to lazy to change it there. Then followed by somehow suspicious review scores. I wonder what these people are thinking (see poll).

I purposefully refrain from naming a country/nationality here for several reasons. For once as it can be just personal bias. For second because it doesnt matter to much anyway. As long as people buy it they are somehow justified, so the problem is us the userbase too. And lastly as a little fun social experiment: I would like everyone to do the same. Not naming a country/nationality. So that we can all complain about something without naming it and never finding out if we actually mean the same. I wonder (once again) how many posts/much time it will take until someone does it anyway :P

And lastly, after stirring up people, the actually reason for the post. I currently have running a group giveaway (running until tomorrow evening). However, as the group is rather known for not entering much and I want to get to Level 7 one day I need more entries. As a safety net I made it a whitelist giveaway with an empty whitelist. So if you have the game in question on your wishlist (before yesterday) you can post here and I may add you temporarily to the whitelist. Depending on people I might limit it by random factores like games won, number of games on wishlist in total, played games won etc ......So check and maybe you have a chance. Note that I might add you to the list rather shortly as I have to work tomorrow.

6 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

What are these people thinking?

View Results
I honestly believe this game is a masterpiece and I should make it available for everyone
I know that this game is mediocre at best but I need to make a living
This game is shit. Who cares. Losers will give me money anyway. I'm the only one who counts

Can I join your 💙?

6 years ago

Can someone cut the whole text in 1 or 2 sentence?

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

6 years ago

Basically he's talking about certain games that are uninspired or garbage and that they are always produced in a certain country. He is conflicted because he wanted more games in the steam store but he doesn't want it to be full of shovelware.

6 years ago

Nah, conflicted is to heavy. Like I said I am in favor of an open store. It makes navigating a bit tiresome sometimes. I think the word I would use is "irritated".

6 years ago

Thank you.

6 years ago

thank you Splash. Welcome in my blue heart group xD

6 years ago

I'd like to join your whitelist and giveaway, if possible. I've always wanted to try out that series, and have had it on the wishlist for quite some time. :)

6 years ago

The game is excellent, at least the original version that I played back in the day, the bad news is that I have limited time and have some modern games in my backlog waiting for me.
As for Steam shitty games, after closing greenlight thinks keep going even worst than before so...

6 years ago

there is a reason there is only one channel dedicated to a specific language channel in ASF discord beside English, which users also are probably the main target group for said games :3<

6 years ago

There always has been a market for low effort cheap games that aren't really good.
Even back in the Vic20/C64/Sinclair ZX days with games in the bargain basket in shops.
Just that Steam has made a worldwide market so easily reachable. And if you think it's just one specific country. Well there's a dragon about to pounce once they start translating their games more often.
Edit: Caveat Emptor. If people can't be bothered to research their potential purchases even though there are reviews etc. available then they probably didn't care much for the money or haven't learned their lesson yet.

6 years ago

Steam should stop allowing such games to enter the store ... (I can't even call this a game)

6 years ago

Of course I heard of it! Ever since playing Dragon Age, I heard that it was the spiritual successor for Baldur's Gate, so I wanted to try that game, but I never got around to play it. And I had it on my wishlist for a long while, so if you allow me, I would love to enter! :)

6 years ago*

I think a lot of the problem actually comes from Steam Trading Cards. As long as people can make a profit from pushing out cheap re-skins with trading cards, people will keep buying them in 30 for a $1 bundles.

Not that other platforms are immune to shovelware (the Nintendo handhelds in particular are inundated with them), but at least the shovelware developers make some kind of effort.

6 years ago

Nowadays trading cards can only be configured by the dev, if the game reaches certain goals.

6 years ago

Yeah, that's a good step towards trying to shut it down, I just don't think it's enough yet.

6 years ago

There are too many trash games in steam :(

6 years ago

and there will be more and more in the next months =\

6 years ago

Not sure what you mean (jokingly or not).. that by not filtering such games it "forces" people to be negative against the country of origin of these games? But willingly or not, yes, this will happen and although it has it's share on the blame, the largest share is by the people who make these games and give their country a bad name in the gaming industry. It's a pity really as they were regarded highly in the 80s for managing to create better "hacks" than the original, then reigning, ZX Spectrum.. Possibly others but that's the one I know of.

PS. I am interested in that game, having it wishlisted since.. I can't remember. Up to you..

6 years ago

If I understand correctly, unfortunately, I think the cards and consequently the "large" bundles contribute to this.

I am interested in this game, but I don't have it on my wishlist. I have you WLted some time already 💙. Anyway thank you pal. God bless you. =D

6 years ago*

Unfortunately in lots of countries game producing isn't really advanced and they can't make expensive games so they goes for a cheap and easy option. I'm afraid getting rid of shovelware is really hard if not impossible, like you said they do have a userbase and taste is subjective.

I have the game wishlisted a while back, would love for a chance :).

6 years ago

Well, I've checked first round. I will probably still add other people. But number of games in your library and also your wishlist is most likely one of the criteria which kicked back some of you. I'm just trying to somehow discern on who will most likely play the game.

6 years ago

You want to turn vaguely racist (really nationalist)? Try being a successful trader in a game like TF2 and watch where the scam offers come from, the same few countries almost every time. It's like the 99% that are bad want to ruin it for the 1% that aren't. Coincidentally, they're the same places the shovelware comes out of. It's hard to not end up with a bad impression of some places when your exposure to them is constantly negative.

6 years ago

Yeah, everyone's got to make a living. Some folks are less scrupulous than others. ☹ I have that game on my wish list, but I'll understand if I don't make the cut.

6 years ago

6 years ago

Instead of blaming the people making the games, perhaps we should be blaming the people who buy them?
If someone were willing to buy turds for $1, there'd soon be a factory full of toilets.

6 years ago

if it sells it's because people love it ^^ or maybe they need to idle cards with trash games?

6 years ago

The worst side effect of it is that nowadays it's nearly impossible to stumble on a gem(aka the good indie games that aren't featured on the front page)
This leads to a lot good games just getting buried and some smaller games don't even get enough reviews to even get a rating...

As for the whitelist GA: Got it on my wishlist for nearly 5 years now, but rarely buy games from there (thus there are now a little bit over 400 games on there) unless I know I'll start the game right away...because of my way too big backlog.
Though I wouldn't mind to get a chance to win it here because wins from here always take a priority...so I'd actually get around to play it.🙄

6 years ago

I'm not sure what kind of hate group you're trying to form, but I would like to join it.

6 years ago

Well, it inspired me in a way that even I can possibly make a game and publish it on steam.

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

6 years ago

Yep, that's a regular wishlisty-type game!

6 years ago

Closed 5 years ago by Adelion.