Hey, guys. I just wanna share this in case someone's interested.

While browsing the marketplace I came across the original Prey selling for just a little above $2. I never played it before but heard it was good so i took the jump. The key works fine (even though it's in a weird format). I'm queuing it up for download right after I'm done downloading ESO. Will let you guys know later if the game works or not.

6 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Don't try to install both Prey and Prey at the same time, they use the same install location.

6 years ago

Haha wow that's a pretty massive oversight right there.
I'm sure this tip will save someone a lot of heartache. Nice.

6 years ago

This is an issue on Valve's end as games are installed to a folder that uses the game name rather than the appid. So this actually occurs with anything on Steam that shares a name.

6 years ago

I don't have the reboot Prey yet but that's good to know. Thanks for the info (seems like they really want to forget about the 2006's one don't they)

6 years ago

Bethesda is known for strong-arming its acquired IPs around, which makes it prohibitive for older games under that IP to remain available for sale (as game rights don't transfer with IP rights). It's why Interplay-owned Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics got forced to be removed from sale, until Bethesda worked their way to taking over as publisher for them. Presumably, 2K just doesn't want to bother hammering out royalties with Bethesda for Prey 2006 to be put back up for sale, and Bethesda is content to bury any elements that may distract/confuse purchasers from their own game.

6 years ago

until Interplay allowed Bethesda to take over as publisher for them

"allowed" :D Bethesda just threw enough money at court-cases and Interplay just couldn't keep up with paying their lawyers.

6 years ago

Man, I edited that out 20 seconds after posting. As you've proven, the sarcasm didn't really get through.
No argument at all. :P

1. Bethesda declines offer to buy rights to Fallout MMO (which interplay valued at $50m) and the initial Fallout games along with the core IP.
  2. Interplay meets obligations for retaining the rights to the Fallout MMO, causing Bethesda to scramble in realization of the value of such a project. Bethesda makes the claim that Interplay didn't meet obligations after all, demanding they desist work on the project.
  3. Bethesda sues Interplay, citing that the Fallout Trilogy reissue is too similar to Fallout 3, and is thus an infringement of their trademark.
  4. This suit is dismissed by the courts. Interplay counter-sues for damages related to Bethesda trying to cancel the Fallout MMO.
  5. Bethesda settles for $2 million, getting Interplay's rights to the original games and the MMO in exchange.

In short, Bethesda turned down a $50m offer for full IP rights, and then bullied their way into having to only pay $2m for the rights- costing us the Fallout MMO in the process.

In short, Bethesda is why we can't have nice things. :P

6 years ago*

IIRR, somewhere between 4 and 5 was Bethesda suing company that Interplay hired to help them with MMO - and since neither Interplay nor those-contractors had money to fight it in court, work on MMO had to stop and Bethesda could buy it for those $2m.

6 years ago

Oh, right, yes. But as I recall, the courts dismissed those charges immediately, so it never really affected Masthead at all. The cancellation of the MMO was one of Bethesda's stipulations within the settlement (since they didn't want competition if they ever decided to release a Fallout MMO). Technically, the agreement only ensured that Fallout wouldn't be referenced at all within the MMO- the MMO itself is [theoretically] still under development, and gives the impression that it'll still stick to a similar setting. [Though, there hasn't been any hint of life since 2015, so it's probably dead. :P]

To put it more simply, Interplay threw up their hands and went "Yes, you can have our remaining Fallout rights for 2mil, just leave us alone to develop our MMO, damn you.". :P Followed, presumably, by them giving up entirely, and then just spending $2 million on alcohol.

6 years ago*

it never really affected Masthead at all

IIRR Masthead just done what Bethesda ordered them - stopped working on Fallout MMO.

But that in turn broke the contract between Interplay and Bethesda - Interplay could make Fallout MMO as long as they could prove they are actually working on it, not just keeping IP - and without Masthead Interplay couldn't make MMO - which was the Bethesda's goal all along, to force Interplay to lose all the Fallout rights.

Which is also main reason why New Vegas was made - Bethesda just wanted to say "look at us, we made two games, Interplay doesn't work even on one game, they don't want that IP, so give it us for pennies".

6 years ago

Which is also main reason why New Vegas was made - Bethesda just wanted to say "look at us, we made two games, Interplay doesn't work even on one game, they don't want that IP, so give it us for pennies".

Perhaps. But Obsidian, who made New Vegas, is the successor of the original Interplay team which worked on the original games. A less skeptical and more positive interpretation is just that they wanted to give the original developers another crack at the setting. Then again, one interpretation doesn't necessarily preclude the other..

IIRR Masthead just done what Bethesda ordered them - stopped working on Fallout MMO.

But that in turn broke the contract between Interplay and Bethesda - Interplay could make Fallout MMO as long as they could prove they are actually working on it, not just keeping IP - and without Masthead Interplay couldn't make MMO - which was the Bethesda's goal all along, to force Interplay to lose all the Fallout rights.

Well, even without that being true, Bethesda definitely acted disreputably (as they are unfortunately well known to do). What you're describing would take them straight into diabolical mastermind territory.
..I mean, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't put attempting to build a death ray past Bethesda. However, it'd be so buggy and feature-light and so reliant on fixes from its victims that it'd presumably never be an actual threat.

Either way- Bethesda may not be the worst company around, but it's definitely one which highlights many of the most common issues among companies within the current industry [all they're really missing to get a Crappy Developer Bingo is asset-flipping].

6 years ago

What you're describing would take them straight into diabolical mastermind territory

So, EA? :D
Thing is, Interplay wasn't their only thing - just recall the mess that was the Prey 2 development, all because Human Head Studios didn't want to sell their independency.

6 years ago

The way I saw the situation with New Vegas is that Bethesda passed it off to another developer rather than developing it in house due to the ongoing court cases. Initially Bethesda licensed Fallout for a three-game deal, and when everything really kicked off after Fallout 3 they decided they didn't want to pour time into the franchise if they were just going to loose it again and as such chose to focus on TES and/or other projects.

I believe that had they not gained control of the franchise they'd have also dumped development of FO4 off on a third-party dev team as well. Whether that would have been Obsidian or not is largely irrelevant but as you've mentioned the lineage of the team at Obsidian was a massive point in New Vegas' favour.

6 years ago

Oh, that makes sense and I kinda forgot the original Prey is made by 2K.

6 years ago

Published. It was made by the same guys who made the Rune series. They sure love their short titles.

6 years ago

6 years ago

I'm not familiar with Prey (any of the two) beyond knowing the basics so I have a question. Other than the name, do they have anything in common? Is there any good reason for them to be part of the same series?

6 years ago

The only things they share are the name, and that they occur in space with aliens.
The newer Prey is done by the developer of Dishonored, and plays out like a blend of that game series and System Shock (though by some attributions, it's Half Life 3).
From what I understand, the original game played more like a weird blend of Doom and Portal.

They don't, as far as I know, share the same setting in any way, so the labeling on the new game seems to have no purpose other than favorable marketing.

6 years ago*

So they bought the IP just to use the name? Seems kinda wasteful.

6 years ago

Really wasteful, since purportedly they bullied out the team which had been developing Prey 2 (to the point that they went on strike and refused to work on the game any longer, on such claims), causing that game to get cancelled. Or as wikipedia puts it:

Reasoning on Human Head's departure from the project by 2011 are not fully known, though IGN, based on reports from those involved with Bethesda and Human Head, stated in 2013 that a rift had developed between the companies. As claimed by IGN, Bethesda had been pleased by progress up through the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2011 showing in June, and agreed to give Human Head an additional six months or more on the project to complete the game and still make the planned 2012 release; however, this extension was not written into their contract.
As Bethesda had expressed interest in buying out Human Head, one of the few studios capable of working atop the id Tech engines, the publisher started "to play hardball" with Human Head. Bethesda push[ed] harder on milestones and request[ed] additional features for Prey 2 that would normally have been given appropriate time[,] and [would have been] monetized in payment[s] to Human Head in the extension contract language if it [had been put into] writing. As Human Head was contractually only allowed to work on Prey 2, they had to quietly support other games like BioShock Infinite and Defiance as to pay their mounting bills.
At this point, around November 2011, Bethesda pushed on its offer to buy the studio, but Human Head denied the offer, and they stopped work on Prey 2, which they considered like a strike. Though the companies attempted some negotiations, no progress was made, and once Human Head's contract with Bethesda ran out in 2012, Prey 2 fell back into Bethesda's hands while Human Head proceeded onto other projects.

Bethesda's counter-claim was along the lines of "But why would we sabotage a project we'd invested so much into? Don't be silly. We play nice without third party developers. We're good, really!" which seems a reasonable argument until you keep in mind Bethesda's history of bullying tactics- it may just be that they overplayed their hand this time, with their causing that strike, when their intention had been to try getting more favorable terms from Human Head (as they'd managed with Interplay and Fallout, for example). Whatever the case, once Bethesda got Prey 2 back in their hands they dropped it, stating that the game hadn't turned out the way they wanted (another explanation could be that they couldn't find another team able to work with the id engine and existing code). They then quickly handed over the IP to Arkane, who decided "Hey, let's make a System Shock successor!".

So, yes- from a surface glance, it looks like they bought the IP, manipulatively supported the team working on the second game in a way that benefited the company's other projects, and forced the existing project to go under so they could apply the IP's name to a completely different game. On the less skeptical interpretation (one which dismisses Bethesda's history of such behaviors), various honest complications occurred after acquiring the IP, and Bethesda tried to recoup their losses as best as possible by applying the IP name to another project for the sake of the marketing boost granted by its name recognition.

All in all, rather an odd series of events.

6 years ago*

I always find fascinating to read about games that get cancelled after going through develepment hell, and then I remember that many people went through a lot of stress for a project that ended in nothing.
They should make movies out of these stories, or games maybe.

6 years ago

Only that such movies and games would never be released, because of Bethesda or any other big company mentioned in them, ironically. :)
But yeah, as a long-time developer and gamer myself, I find all these stories fascinating too, but probably also one of the reasons why I never ever got into commercial game development. Because of these companies, a work of passion can turn into a fight for your life, or in the best case, you losing your "baby" because the same companies keeps the IP and you can't do anything with the game that cost so much sweat and blood for you, not even release a patch, let alone making it the way you wanted.

That's why I hate these companies with a passion, since their only reason to exist seem to be to destroy people's dreams, and earn money in the process.

6 years ago

Such a shame, it looks good.

6 years ago

Right? That live playthrough seems crazy ahead of its time.

6 years ago

Maybe in a decade or two someone will be able to take the concept and develop it into a new game, this things always come back with time.

6 years ago

There's a lot of good cancelled games we'll never see. Personally I think it's a shame we never got Deep Cover, a stealth game by Looking Glass Studios (makers of the original Thief games) set in the real world over the course of the cold war. Looking Glass sadly went out of business before it was released.

6 years ago

good ideas don't keep the lights on,,

6 years ago

lol that's hilarious.

6 years ago

What about different Steam library folders? Should work just fine, eh?

6 years ago

Ok slow-poke

6 years ago

heh

6 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 6 years ago.

6 years ago

Can't remember the price exactly but it was like 1.5ish and this key is in retail format. So you didn't make an incredible discovery its always been that low on g2a.

6 years ago

Congrats?

Hope you feel better?

6 years ago

its always been that low on g2a.

That is not true.

As proof, I have my receipt for the retail CD key of Prey when it surfaced seemingly out of the blue in digital purchase form for the first time in years in June 2013, on a then little-known site called "Go2Arena.com". Behold: the receipt for my first and only purchase from what would later be more commonly referred to as G2A. And make no mistake, this find was nothing short of sensational among collectors and Steam junkies at the time, especially for the bargain price of a then unheard of €6.90.

View attached image.
6 years ago

Good for you

6 years ago

Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a copy and didn't know it was available. It was my first G2A purchase, hopefully I don't have any problems with the key in the future. The seller did have 99% positive feedback on over 274000 sales though.

6 years ago

It was my first G2A purchase

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with your G2A Shield affliction.
(ie, https://imgur.com/a/m66DA + eventual "error" in cancellation)

6 years ago

I declined the G2A shield since it doesn't seem to offer much of anything. I just read something about them automatically signing people up and then charging them every month without them knowing, but I don't think they do that anymore. Wasn't there a huge deal made about this last year so they stopped doing it?

6 years ago

My point was just to remind you to keep track of your payment method for a bit, to see if you do end up getting charges (so that you can respond to them quickly). Whether they're still "known" for doing it or not, when purchasing from a site with a reputation of having issues with sketchy-ness (like GMG, IndieGala, or G2A) it's critical to keep tabs on the elements they're known for having issues with, so you don't get blindsided by discovering those issues have affected you later on.

6 years ago

Alright, thanks for the warning :)
I don't charge much to my CCs and I pay them off in full every month, so I will definitely notice anything that isn't supposed to be there and dispute it right away.

6 years ago

No problem. I was surprised to see a copy that cheap myself. I've bought a lot from G2A, most are problem-free, and in the unfortunate case you did ran into a problem, just contact their support. I had a key revoked once and after contacting them and providing some screenshots, they give a full refund even without G2A Shield.

6 years ago

It seems like the G2A Shield id pretty much useless other than getting support quicker. They still have to provide the product they are selling or else you can just charge the money back through your credit card if they refused the refund. I'm not sure what will happen if the key is revoked sometime in the future though.

6 years ago

I bought the revoked key from before in June, revoked in mid September. Support still oblige the refund request after 3 months so that's a decent time frame right? Never used G2A Shield myself so I wouldn't know. I mostly bought cheap keys on G2A so that even if I got scammed, at least it's not too much of a loss.

6 years ago

Yeah, I don't have any plans to spend much money there, it's not worth the risk of losing the games. For something like this where it is hard to find the game somewhere else, I am willing to risk it considering the game is fairly cheap.

It's good to hear they approved the refund after 3 months. It's probably in their best interest because they know if they make you happy for a few dollars, they will keep you as a customer and keep making money. If they refuse the refund, you will probably not trust them and never buy anything there again, at least I wouldn't. Plus they get negative publicity forever online from all the people they refuse refunds to which would hurt them a lot. They may have some shady business practices, but refusing refunds on games that were revoked would be worse.

6 years ago

That has been my experience - G2A has a lot of "problems" and is extremely sketchy in general, but the support is paradoxically surprisingly good and willing to bend over backwards to fix things if you poke them. My suspicion is that their business model is just to rake in money from the people who don't complain.

(Basically the opposite of Steam, which has excellent, reliable software and a great reputation, but terrible support.)

6 years ago

you'll have trouble with G2A not sellers o_o

6 years ago

Good deal

6 years ago

Every time when I try to pay:
"We're sorry but this seller has just sold the last item from this offer. The product will be removed from Your basket."
=(

6 years ago

price shown on site 2.22, price on cart 2.4...price on paypal 3 euros... screw this :( still ended up buying it

6 years ago

Still worth it. P

6 years ago

I played this game for the first time earlier this year and it's really great, I recommend it.

6 years ago

Yes. the key is strange. my friend wrote a manual. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601954111
This key can also be taken if you have a disk version

6 years ago

Well I bought it and it is installing. I dislike using G2A and other key resellers, but I figure this would have been my last chance to get this game.

6 years ago

Meh, what a company of losers... :/
(I obviously mean Zenimax, not the indie team)

6 years ago

it's a great game but not on the same league as the new prey, at least for me.

$2 sounds great <3

View attached image.
6 years ago

Does it got removed from steam?

6 years ago

Yeap, since a long time ago too but you can activate and play the game no problem.

6 years ago

Even the serial number of the hardcopy retail version of this game can be used to activate the game on Steam.

6 years ago

Ok, i know that its not the exact place.
But if anyone wants to trade prey(2006) for my CS key, please write me something =))
still a free bump right ?

6 years ago

Nice find! Been looking for this for a while.

6 years ago

I'm interested in the game but I don't really trust G2A :(

6 years ago

Don't worry, everyone has that exact same thought when using the site for the first time. The trick is to always buy from those with >98% positive reviews, especially those with thousands of completed transactions. If you're somewhat unlucky, just contact the support. They're pretty helpful surprisingly

6 years ago

Well it's not like I have a lot of options for where I can get the game, and a tempting price as well.
I ended up buying it and had no problems whatsoever, but still, if I keep buying from that site I feel like it's a matter of time before I get scammed.

It's nice I finally got the game though :)

6 years ago

Just don't buy the expensive stuffs, that way you wouldn't get burned so much in the event of a scam :p (Support can still refund though provided that you give them the necessary screenshots and all)

I mostly used G2A to buy those cheap bundle game which I don't want to buy the whole bundle for, especially true for Humble Monthly games.

6 years ago

That seems fair. Buying bundle leftovers could be the way to go for me then!

6 years ago

That's great value for a nice FPS and Steam removed game! ^^

6 years ago

I know right? $2 is a steal! :D

6 years ago

Indeed! :O

6 years ago

Thanks for advice, bought it and downloading now

6 years ago

I had a small heart attack before I read 2006 😋

6 years ago

Lol I think it's gonna be a few years more before the new Prey is $2 :p

6 years ago

great game, imho.

6 years ago

All the Prey keys are in an unusual format. I traded for one years ago and remember that still.
They also all probably come from physical copies stockpiled somewhere.

6 years ago

Yea i was about to mention that as well, i thought it was weird how the key was formatted.

6 years ago

Fyi. List of all weird formatted retail CD keys that Steam accepts:
http://web.archive.org/web/20160108132658/https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601
(Link is to archived version bec for some reason Valve removed that listing from their website)

6 years ago*

They probably took the key of a physical box or something?
You know, back in the days that people actually bought their games in a store.

6 years ago

Thank god for that. Otherwise, the game will be as rare as Mafia 1

6 years ago

Think I got lucky with that one back before it vanished.
I'm still wishing for DiRT and old Wolfenstein

6 years ago

I love to get the old Wolfenstein too. Here's hoping...

6 years ago

This game has been on G2A for some time and usually goes for around 2-5.I think due to the age and type of game that it's not very popular mostly with collectors otherwise I doubt most people seek it out as a must play title.

6 years ago

I just knew honestly, and to think a delisted game is selling for $2 a pop is a pretty good deal.

6 years ago

I bought i a while back on G2A as I lost my 360 copy. Fun game. The main Character Tommy has been on the Tv Show "Fear the Walking Dead" this last season too! I was watching it and was like, "This guys voice seems really familiar..."
Did you ever see the trailer for the canceled Prey 2? It looked way different bus also really good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfHCZAK7p-s

6 years ago

Huh, really? I'll take note of that. Maybe I can guess who it is! I did but it slipped out of my mind until today. Looks really cool but perhaps different from both the original and the reboot? This one looks like it could be an open world game with bounty hunting thrown into it (AKA fun!)

6 years ago

If you pay with G2A, what is the best way to avoid additional payment costs?

6 years ago

What I did was add some money to my G2A Wallet (I usually add 10 euro at a time) and pay the fee once, instead of having to pay extra after each transaction. The fee is 60 cents if I remember correctly. There's no additional fee if you pay with the wallet.

6 years ago

Bought it 2.32 euros

6 years ago

I feel a little bit surprised how everyone is talking shit aboug G2A (and talking sometimes about blacklisting the ones talking about buying in G2A) but now it's praised and the best store ever.

6 years ago

Well, I didn't. I just tend to avoid it before this but after a few transactions I felt comfortable buying there. It's all a matter of personal preferences I guess.

6 years ago

I wasn't talking about you personally, rather than the general feeling of the forum whet it comes to G2A. I guess Cim explained this situation.

6 years ago

I don't think anyone is praising them here... it's just that in this particular case there's no good way to get the game. You either pirate it or buy it through a site like this. Neither option is good but since the price is reasonable, it's the better of the two imho.

When it comes to new games they are still as terrible as always.

6 years ago

I guess you are right, it's normal (or I think it is) to think like that before pirating.

6 years ago

I guess that's a good reasoning and I agree that this is better than pirating it.

6 years ago

Closed 3 years ago by Gaffi.